Advice please - moved to different cabin

sc71

Hi all, I am looking for some advice.

We are booked on a group cruise with the family to celebrate the milestone birthdays of my aunt and my mother next March. We booked the cruise back in February of this year, over a year before the cruise.

We found out two days ago that Celebrity made an error and cancelled our booking and then re-booked; however during this time, someone else booked into the cabin we had. :confused:

Celebrity offered a small on-board credit to the new guests in that cabin to which they firmly said no. They have told me that they have put us on a waiting list for the cabins on either side of that original room, which is not comparable due to the layout of the original cabin and have offered the same small OBC to us. I have turned them down and inquired as to why we are being put on the wait list when we were originally booked in that cabin.

I would appreciate any advice from the experts - should I request a cabin upgrade or continue to push for the original cabin?

Appreciate any and all thoughts.

The same thing happened to us a few years back. After some personal negotiations with higher ups , we got upgraded. We fired the TA because they didn't go to bat for us enough IMHO.

You had the cabin first and they could just as easily move the others. The mistake was there's not yours. I would:

1. No settle for less than would make me happy, within reason.

2. Once it was resolve, put it behind to have a wonderful vacation.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

You had the cabin first and they could just as easily move the others. The mistake was there's not yours. I would:

1. No settle for less than would make me happy, within reason.

2. Once it was resolve, put it behind to have a wonderful vacation.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Celebrity will never do it. They will not do the right thing for the customer who has been "wronged" if it means affecting another customer.

In this case, the right thing to do, since Celebrity made the mistake and admitted to it, is to move the OP back to their cabin and move the current occupants to a different cabin. Granted the new occupants are not at fault, HOWEVER they never should have been allowed to book that cabin. IMO, if Celebrity was able to "accidentally" cancel the OP's booking and then re-book to a new cabin, they can do the same for the other passengers so the OP can have what they booked MONTHS ago.

But as I said, Celebrity won't do it. No way, no how. Period. Unfortunately the OP is SOL. So someone else benefits from Celebrity's muck up.

Edited by Kevin T Brown

Thanks all,

In reply to Kevin, that is exactly the arguement I have tried to make. The new occupants should have to take a new room and replace us in the original room that was booked so long ago. I was told that they couldn't do that as the cabin was available when the new occupants booked it. My reply was "it was also available I booked it". I have asked twice to speak with a supervisor and each time was told that she would call me back and it is now 9 pm at night.

Is there a higher up number that any has that I should call? I have remained pleasant through out each call and discussion, but firm that as this is their mistake, they must make it right.

I think your logic is impeccable, and I can't believe Celebrity would do this to you.

Why don't you find a recent post by the Celebrity rep on these boards (I'll see if I can remember a recent thread they were on) and send them a personal message? They seem to be willing to help with sticky situations. If you're not familiar with them, their screen name is simply "Celebrity Cruises".

Found them! It should be right at the bottom of this first page, or maybe at the top of the second...a thread called "Dear Celebrity Part 2" - they are I think the 4th post in that thread, hit the thing that says "send a message to Celebrity Cruises".

I'd also suggest jumping on the web site [if it's working] and find two cabins that suit you [if possible], even if they are a different grade and suggest a move to them.

That way you are proposing a solution after all they give upgrades, especially to guarantee bookings every day

I'd recommend sending an email to: contactmichael@celebrity.com

Happy sailing,

Jenna

This is the better suggestion.

Warmwind suggestion is not a great idea. "CelebrityCruises" has posted that their email address should only be used when they suggest you email them. They receive many unsolicited emails they are unable to match up with Cruise Critic posts.

Thanks all,

In reply to Kevin, that is exactly the arguement I have tried to make. The new occupants should have to take a new room and replace us in the original room that was booked so long ago. I was told that they couldn't do that as the cabin was available when the new occupants booked it. My reply was "it was also available I booked it". I have asked twice to speak with a supervisor and each time was told that she would call me back and it is now 9 pm at night.

Is there a higher up number that any has that I should call? I have remained pleasant through out each call and discussion, but firm that as this is their mistake, they must make it right.

What cabin(s) did you have? Someone might be able to make an alternative suggestion.

Phil

Thank you to everyone! I have followed the above suggestion and sent our story to the contactmichael email. I will let everyone know if I receive any reply.

It is now Saturday morning and the promised return phone call from the supervisor never materialized, despite the promise made twice yesterday.

My mother, who is turning 70 and this is the reason for this cruise, is very upset. I am really hoping Celebrity will put this right.

Should I be contacting Captain's Club or continue speaking with the group bookings department? Not sure if Captain's Club can assist in any way.

I think the suggestion to have possible solutions is a god ones. Is there an available cabin open you would be happy with, even if it is a suite? Aqua? Concierge? This way you can say "that won't work, what about this" when you do talk to someone on the phone.

I would also likely wait until Tueaday before calling or emailing again. You will hear from Michael Bailey's office but Monday is a busy day in most offices and they need to research the issue again. Make sure you included you ship, sailing date and reservation number in the email, if not, email them again.

Good luck.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I'd also suggest jumping on the web site [if it's working] and find two cabins that suit you [if possible], even if they are a different grade and suggest a move to them.

That way you are proposing a solution after all they give upgrades, especially to guarantee bookings every day

I think this is a good idea, otherwise the best alternate cabin choices may slip away as you try to get the other one back..

Also try Celebrity Officials e mail.. concerns at Celebrity (?)....not sure of exact add.

Captains Club might help but ultimately might be sending your issues to another Dept..esp since you said it was a group cruise....is there a TA involved for the group?

Just curious....How did Celebrity cancel the booking and did they admit in writing they made an error?

Good luck!

Edited by hcat

Just curious....How did Celebrity cancel the booking and did they admit in writing they made an error?

Good luck!

I can't answer the question, but can say this happen to us. I found out by accident. The cabin we wanted was still available, so I guess, no harm, no foul. Apparently, they canceled our room instead of someone else's. I still am not sure how that happens if the verify name and phone number.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Some good suggestions and I agree that they should move the other people rather than you as you had the cabin first.. To help us put it in perspective, how different is the cabin you were placed in (location, extra perks like a wider balcony, etc.)? I think that would help me decide how much to push it as opposed to accepting the OBC and trying to move on. Unless there is a significant difference I doubt they will offer much more, if anything, than they already have. We have often traveled with relatives (including seniors) and rarely had cabins close to them. It was really no big deal when all was said and done. Not trying to criticize you; just saying it did not spoil our vacation in any way. If your new assigned cabin is a big step down, I would say keep fighting. If not, if it were me I would accept the OBC and try to put it out of my mind. We have periodically had some frustrating issues on cruises, but as it happens some of those same cruises have turned out to be some of our favorites. I hope it all works out to your satisfaction and you have a great cruise.

I take it you booked this yourself and not through a TA? If you did use a TA, have them contact their Business Development Manager. I've found they have a way of getting things done even when reservations departments and their supervisors say it's impossible.

Thanks for the ongoing advice, everyone here is so helpful and supportive. Takes the edge off the frustration :)

The cabin we had was 2105. It was selected specifically for the larger balcony but most importantly for the proximity to the smoking area for my mother who has mobility issues. They have randomly placed us in 2145.

I have called again this morning and reinforced my request to speak with the supervisor. That was two hours ago and I was told that she was away from her desk (again) but they promised a call back.

I'm sorry but Celebrity or any company will not move the current occupants of the cabin. Remember the current occupants also have not done anything wrong so why should also be inconvenienced? Currently you are irritated, there isn't any benefit to Celebrity to irritate another passenger that hasn't done anything wrong. Sorry but you will just need to negotiate to get your best deal at this point, either an upgrade or OBC. Either accept it and put it behind you or cancel the cruise.

Thanks for the cabin numbers, it helps us see the big difference between the two. Just curious, what ship and sail date? Many on this site can look up suitable alternatives that hopefully you and Celebrity will agree with. And, you just mention the one cabin, what is the other cabin number and do you need to be close to one another?

There are a number of sites that show full availability on the ship and perhaps there would be something that you are not seeing on the Celebrity website that would work. Keep us posted.

I take it you booked this yourself and not through a TA? If you did use a TA, have them contact their Business Development Manager. I've found they have a way of getting things done even when reservations departments and their supervisors say it's impossible.

Celebrity would not even speak to the OP if the cabin was booked with a TA. If it was booked with a TA the OP would have to talk to the TA and the TA would talk to Celebrity.

Happy sailing,

Jenna