Eurodam 10-26-14 Review and FCC questions

cwd79

:D Hi all,

Thanks for all your wonderful advice as our 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam was wonderful. Wanted to do a review and then ask some FCC questions.

Hubby and I drove from NC to Ft. Lauderdale the day before sailing and stayed at the Fairfield Inn. So glad we drove the day before as it really helps the stress level arriving the day before. Nice accommodations at the hotel and they have a hot breakfast for free. We were able to park our car there for free and had no issues. Took a taxi to the port and arrived there around 11am. They do have a shuttle but it was cheaper to go by taxi.

(FYI, I know there has been much back and forth in regards to bringing water and other non-alcoholic drinks on board and how you do that, whether packing it or bringing it with the carry on bags, well we had purchased a 32 bottle case of water and 12 pack of Red Bull and were able to put a luggage tag on it and it was delivered to our room. No problems, no questions...It was nice not having to lug it ourselves. Last cruise we were going every 30 minutes to get me something to drink due to some health issues, so it was nice to already be prepared. We cleaned out the fridge and filled it with the water and Red Bull.)

Based on our last cruise which was our first cruise we were more prepared and boy did that help. The previous cruise took over 2 hours to get through security as we arrived late, but this time we got there early enough that it was a breeze. No wait at all. Since we had a Neptune Suite we got to go in a specific check in line that was super quick and then was able to take a elevator to another waiting spot to wait to board with the priority boarding group and boarded about 20 minutes later. Very quick and no issues. Our room wasn't ready yet so we went to the Lido and had a quick bite to eat and then our room was ready.

We were spoiled our first cruise last year as it was our honeymoon and we got an upsell option for a Neptune Suite from a VF and grabbed it. Now we have been bitten by the Neptune bug :D and only want to be in those suites.

Our room was 7060 which is right next to the glass elevators, we had booked a SC room but was upgraded to a SA. We were concerned that there might be noise and privacy issues but did not have any noise issues and the elevator being able to see into a small corner of the balcony was not an issue at all. We loved the location as it was very close to the Neptune lounge and in the middle of the ship. Our stewards Gulimar and Yamin were wonderful and spoiled us. Great customer service.

We tried the laundry and dry cleaning for the first time and LOVED how quick and easy it was. Since it was free we did laundry every day as several of the excursions we came back soaked or muddy. We didn't lose anything, and the service was great. My husband even got his shoes shined and they looked brand new.

The room was lovely and were happy to see the balcony was larger most likely due to the elevator. This time around the robes which we love, were already on display. Last cruise we waited several days for that. We had the complimentary champagne waiting for us to celebrate our anniversary but we don't drink champagne or wine so they gave us a free bottle of water instead.

Food wise everything was great. We loved the Tamarind on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year and made sure to schedule to eat there on the Eurodam. SOOOO GOOOD. Servers You and Evelyn were wonderful. They sang to us and gave us a small cake for our anniversary. Very nice time. Highly recommend the Tamarind.

We were a little disappointed in regards to the scheduling of the Pinnacle Grill. We had pre-paid for two dinners at the Pinnacle Grill and when we got on board we were told they were already completely booked. Literally we got to our room and I called to find out availability and was told there was no space. So we reached out to the concierge to see if they could fit us in and we got a 8:30pm reservation one night and it was wonderful. Food is fantastic, service impeccable. Unfortunately they had to refund us the 2nd pre-paid dinner as there was no room and they couldn't get us in at any other time. Maybe I missed something but are you able to make reservations before you board?

The Neptune lounge/concierge were wonderful but we did notice a few differences from the Nieuw Amsterdam. Previous cruise we got a plateful of complimentary chocolate covered strawberries and a pizza delivered to our room from Slice. I guess those were one-offs as we inquired about the pizza and I guess that is not the norm. Also we asked for a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and was charged 25.00, not a big deal just would have liked to have known that before. The banana bread in the lounge is VERY good. I was very greedy in taking most of it and I apologize to anyone who didn't get to have any as my stomach took control over my manners. :D

Lido lunch and dinner was very good, had several yummy cocktails, enjoyed Bingo and actually WON... I never win anything so that was surprising. We bought a few things in the Signature shops and got a great deal on a watch for my husband. The piano bar was wonderful and Barry was fantastic. We didn't catch any shows but went to the screening room and saw a couple of movies. Loved the chairs in the theater.

Half Moon Cay was great, we loved it last time and did the Aquatrax jet skis again this time and actually booked it twice. So much fun.

Ochos Rios was nice. Didn't see much of it as we did the ATV off-roading excursion and I was too consumed with not breaking the ATV with my horrible driving and not killing myself. It was fun but once was enough for me. I was covered in mud. My hair had HUGE chunks of mud and God only knows what else... So when we had the option to stop and jump off a 15ft cliff into the water, I took it. Sadly I didn't plan it well and landed face first/belly flop in the water. And then was quickly reminded once I hit the water that I haven't swam in probably 20 years so I am sure everyone watching from above was having a good laugh, as I looked ridiculous trying to remember how to swim. But it was fun nonetheless.

Grand Cayman - Very pretty - we took the Atlantis Submarine excursion and we were actually disappointed. They pack you in like cattle. But seeing the beautiful coral and fishes was an experience. It was beautiful. Just wish we had a little more room.

Key West - Sadly we were not able to port there due to high winds. We were disappointed as be had a speedboat excursion planned but ended up going to the spa for some treatments and that was nice.

The Spa is expensive but worth it. Husband and I had a 75 minute massage and then he got a shave and trim and I had a pedicure. Very relaxing.

When I cruise I love the food. So because our first cruise last year we did not experience the Pinnacle Grill breakfast, we promised ourselves to try it this time. Well people, I will gladly pay more money for a suite in order to experience that breakfast. OH MY LORD was it good. You are all right and I will never doubt you again. AMAZING. So relaxing, quick, wonderful service. Can't say enough about it. Loved it. Next cruise we are doing it every morning. Such a more relaxed feeling to it then the Lido breakfast.

Disembarking was very quick. We opted for the expedited option and once we got in line at around 7:20 we were off the ship by 7:30. It was that quick. Hopped in a taxi and back to out car and then was back on the road.

Wonderful cruise and Eurodam is a lovely ship.

FCC QUESTIONS:

While on board we purchased two FCC's... We are doing an 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise in Oct. 2015... But we also were interested in the 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise in March. After coming home we did some research and decided we no longer want to do the March Southern Caribbean cruise but want to do the Westerdam Jan 31st Eastern Caribbean cruise that hits St. Marten. How do I go about changing that? They gave us the EXPLORE 4 package which we do not want as for us it doesn't make sense. Do I call Holland America and ask them to change the cruise to the Jan 31st or is that something I can do online? Do you lose the shipboard credit? Will the two hundred that we put down as a deposit transfer over? Not sure how that all works so hoping for some advice. Thanks

Great review - thank you so much.

As to your FCD questions, let me see if I understand - you bought two future cruise deposits, correct?

You simply need to cancel the cruise you no longer want and re-book the cruise you do want. If your shipboard question refers to the FCD ship board credit, you don't lose it unless you are inside the forfeiture time.

I think you should be ok. They will be simply be deposited back to your mariner account if you used them to book.

You can easily check and confirm by calling whomever you booked with: TA, PCC or HAL.

Hopefully I am making sense and understood your question correctly.

Thanks again for the review.

Excellent review, thank you so much for taking the time to post. Enjoyed it tremendously as we will be boarding the Eurodam on Sunday. Nice to know that the ship is in great condition and your comments about the specialty restaurants. We've booked 2 meals in them.

I'm curious , you said you prepaid for two dinners at the PG yet when you boarded you were told they were sold out and had no room . Don't you have to choose your date and time when you purchase ??

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm curious , you said you prepaid for two dinners at the PG yet when you boarded you were told they were sold out and had no room . Don't you have to choose your date and time when you purchase ??

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We thought we would be able to do the reservations online but it did not give us the option. Last cruise we had the same thing happen and had to reserve the pre-booked dinners once we got on board. Not sure if that is common or it was just our user error. :(

We thought we would be able to do the reservations online but it did not give us the option. Last cruise we had the same thing happen and had to reserve the pre-booked dinners once we got on board. Not sure if that is common or it was just our user error. :(

It sounds like you're doing something wrong when you do the reservation.

You should be able to pick the day/time when you reserve, as that is the way to reserve. I don't know any other way to reserve for the Pinnacle without choosing a day/time.

We were a little disappointed in regards to the scheduling of the Pinnacle Grill. We had pre-paid for two dinners at the Pinnacle Grill and when we got on board we were told they were already completely booked.

Experienced HAL cruisers, does this happen often? We booked two dinners at Pinnacle/Le Cirque three months ago for our upcoming cruise. I would be rather disappointed too.

Thank you for your review.

It sounds like you're doing something wrong when you do the reservation.

You should be able to pick the day/time when you reserve, as that is the way to reserve. I don't know any other way to reserve for the Pinnacle without choosing a day/time.

If you pre-pay under "indulgences" in indicates that you should make your reservation on board. We decided not to do this, so I don't know how it works, but it appeared that we couldn't reserve on line.

If you pre-pay under "indulgences" in indicates that you should make your reservation on board. We decided not to do this, so I don't know how it works, but it appeared that we couldn't reserve on line.

Thanks for the clarification; I didn't know it could be done that way. I always just book under Pinnacle reservations and lock in what I want in advance.

It sort of defeats the purpose to postpone that last part, since I know what I want in the first place.

I think when one books the discounted package for 2 Pinnacle/Caneletto dinners, you cannot choose a time and date.

You can only make a selection if you book the single full price reservations.

I think when one books the discounted package for 2 Pinnacle/Caneletto dinners, you cannot choose a time and date.

You can only make a selection if you book the single full price reservations.

That's correct. You can only pick your times when you book single. full price reservations.