We lost an hour on our cruise

TERESAh

We thought we were going to get an extra hour on our cruise due to the end of daylight savings,but Princess decided to wait to change the clocks back Tues morning , the day we got off the ship,instead of Sun We were off the Calif coast on Sun. so the clocks should have been reset then. We were on a cruise the same time a year ago,and the time was changed Sunday am. I know its only one hour, but come on Princess, don't be so cheap.

You certainly could have stayed up an hour later on the final night--assuming that what would have also been necessary Saturday night in order to benefit from the time change, right?

Princess does the same in the Caribbean as well; the clock goes forward the first night to sync with the port local times, and does not go back to US EST until the final night. But as said no one is under any obligation to spend that "fall back" hour in bed as you chose to do.

Edited by fishywood

There are 5 time changes going south to north (Pacific to Caribbean) when doing the Panama Canal trip. If this bothered you, be sure to take the transit from FLL to LA...you will "gain" your two hours back.

I always have trouble going from West to East. My body is very unhappy cruising to Hawaii and back.

I don't see how Princess did this. It must have confused a lot of people.

We thought we were going to get an extra hour on our cruise due to the end of daylight savings,but Princess decided to wait to change the clocks back Tues morning , the day we got off the ship,instead of Sun We were off the Calif coast on Sun. so the clocks should have been reset then. We were on a cruise the same time a year ago,and the time was changed Sunday am. I know its only one hour, but come on Princess, don't be so cheap.

Are you serious?

There are 5 time changes going south to north (Pacific to Caribbean) when doing the Panama Canal trip. If this bothered you, be sure to take the transit from FLL to LA...you will "gain" your two hours back.

I always have trouble going from West to East. My body is very unhappy cruising to Hawaii and back.

I don't see how Princess did this. It must have confused a lot of people.

t must have really confused the poor ones boarding who thought they were boarding at 12:00 BUT FOUND IT WAS 1:00 THEN 12:00 again.

Now I'm confused:confused:

The staff on my ship really needed a good laugh today.

Thank you for volunteering.

I'd be more concerned forgetting to set my clock and missing my flight.

On our TA, I think we had time changes every day for a few days. I think we had a total of six. They set them at noon, so no one was confused. On those days, it went from 11:59 to 1 pm. But the MDR still said the hours were noon to 1:30 or whatever.

Please make sure you ask Princess for a refund or extra OBC on your next cruise for your lose of all that precious time. I think a notarized letter or one from a lawyer should suffice. Please keep us informed on how your efforts go and what Princess has to say, as well as what the lawyer advises you is the best course of action to take in the future.

Anyone else with ideas on how the OP can be compensated for this great lose?

We were actually on a cruise this summer that lost an hour. Months before the cruise we were informed by Princess that due to tides we were departing from our last port, St. Hellier, one hour earlier than originally scheduled and getting to our disembarkation port, Dover for London, one hour earlier than originally scheduled.

It never even crossed our minds to consult a lawyer or obsess over this. As far as we know, the only thing anyone did was that the person on our roll call who had set up a private tour in St. Hellier contacted the tour operator to make sure that the earlier departure would not affect the tour.

On our TA, I think we had time changes every day for a few days. I think we had a total of six. They set them at noon, so no one was confused. On those days, it went from 11:59 to 1 pm. But the MDR still said the hours were noon to 1:30 or whatever.

So, you lost 6 hours of your cruise. It may have been advertised as a 14 day cruise, but it was only 13.75 days.

Anyone else with ideas on how the OP can be compensated for this great lose?

Princess can award her a certificate to be redeemed for one extra hour of cruising. And on the night she chooses to use it, the cruise staff will storm her cabin at 2AM to set her clocks back.

Hummmm..... You didn't lose an hour. You just didn't gain the hour from the time change.

;)

They certainly did gain that hour, just on the final night of the cruise:

...but Princess decided to wait to change the clocks back Tues morning, the day we got off the ship...

You spent the same amount of time on the ship, regardless of what the clocks said. What you chose to do with that time was up to you. :rolleyes:

Look at it this way: if the ship sailed at 5 PM on embarkation day as is normal, and returned at 7 AM on disembarkation day as is normal, BUT the clocks in the homeport were set back one hour in between...you got an extra hour of cruising! You are correct is saying that what time the clocks read onboard is irrelevant.

...and after reading what I wrote, I cannot believe I am taking the time to take this seriously :D

Edited by fishywood

Apparently we're the only two who get the poster's sense of humor, or by popular opinion we're off and the poster is a little nuts.

The OP did not use emoticons or any humorous or sarcastic tone whatsoever. It is entirely reasonable to conclude that they are actually that clueless to believe that if the clocks were turned back Saturday night rather than Tuesday night they would have somehow netted one extra hour onboard.