Marijuana in Smoking Areas of Celebrity

BayAreaBC

Since marijuana is legal in Seattle and Alaska, if I smoke marijuana in the smoking areas of Celebrity will anyone object? I'm considering booking an Alaska cruise.

I suspect not since the smell is much more pleasant than cigarettes or cigars but I don't know if Celebrity has a policy about it or not.

Edited by BayAreaBC

Since marijuana is legal in Seattle and Alaska, if I smoke marijuana in the smoking areas of Celebrity will anyone object? I'm considering booking an Alaska cruise.

I suspect not since the smell is much more pleasant than cigarettes or cigars but I don't know if Celebrity has a policy about it or not.

Possession of MJ is still a Federal Crime.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/federal-marijuana-laws.html

I could not find an policy on X's website, but the policy specifically discusses cigarettes, pipes and cigars, not joints.

We are not smokers and try to avoid smoking areas, but would not be pleased to walk through any MJ smoke.

Personally, I don't find MJ smoke to be pleasant at all.

If such smoking becomes common, I would not want to be downwind.

Same as the Weird Al Yankovic album...Dare to be Stupid!!!

I suspect not since the smell is much more pleasant than cigarettes or cigars ....

As a non smoker with a wife who smokes like a chimney I have to disagree - certainly when compared with cigars (and no my wife doesn't smoke cigars :D ). I find the smell of marijuana quite nasty and sickly.

As for it being only "a matter of time" before its legal everywhere, whatever that means... it doesn't make it legal where it isn't and certainly wouldn't recommend you trying this out on a cruise in Middle East, where I think it will remain illegal for "some time".

Edited by DYKWIA

Celebrity's website says that illegal drugs or other illegal substances are not allowed on board. Their cruise contract also says that passengers cannot bring onboard any illegal controlled substances or other items prohibited by law or carrier policy.

I'd presume that Celebrity would consider Marijuana illegal as it would be subject to Federal laws since the ship is crossing state lines and international borders. I also think that the cruises from Washington cross Canadian waters and that most stop in Canada along the way and I don't think it is legal in Canada. I do not know the laws of Washington or Alaska (if they even have them yet) but I recall hearing that Colorado prohibits it from crossing the state line as well as a lot of other restrictions and I suspect that Washington and Alaska have, or will have, similar laws.

Would you be allowed to fly with it? It's illegal in the UK so nothing I've ever thought about.

No you cannot.

Edited by Lsimon

Just my 2 cents worth. The caveat here is that it is still illegal Federally and hence illegal onboard. Perhaps State authorities won't arrest you but not so for Federal. So why should the Cruise lines have to deal with that headache.

Just get a Cloud 2 and no one will have a clue, and you won't offend anyone because there is no smell.

But as other posters have mentioned if you choose to try it be prepared for the worst consequences.

Uh.... You need to ask? It's also legal here and there's trash cans in the airport, you can't fly with it. AND it's a no-no on a cruise. Odd question though as I've seen coke on board but M J is a definite no. Don't risk it, R

PS: I still love the smell.

Edited by blindrid

I live in the greater Seattle area in Washington State. I had friends visiting from New York. We went to the local marijuana shop. They were told yes if your from out of state you can buy marijuana here in Washington. But it must not leave Washington state. So smoke it or eat it here in Washington.

SEATTLE -- Nearly two years after voters in Washington state legalized marijuana, the industry continues to evolve. Next week a SODO company will begin selling marijuana infused edibles to licensed retailers in the Seattle area.:rolleyes:

As to Celebrity. I don't use tobacco or marijuana. So I have not looked into their rules.

Just to give an idea what Celebrity is thinking, I sailed out of Seattle and Bayonne recently. Both places there were signs saying you could not bring medicinal marijuana on board the ship. The key is that it is illegal federally. Here is the paragraph from the Guest Conduct Policy and please remember Federal Law trumps State Law every time.

Drugs or Other Illegal Substances

No illegal drugs or other illegal substances are allowed onboard or may be utilized during a Celebrity Cruises vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports-of-call, during shore excursions or at our private destinations. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated and appropriate action taken, which may include removal from the ship and involvement of appropriate authorities. In addition, foreign governments at Celebrity Cruises ports-of-call have strict laws that address drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution by the foreign jurisdiction (and perhaps United States or other authorities as well) and may be prevented from re-boarding the ship.

I live in the greater Seattle area in Washington State. I had friends visiting from New York. We went to the local marijuana shop. They were told yes if your from out of state you can buy marijuana here in Washington. But it must not leave Washington state. So smoke it or eat it here in Washington.

SEATTLE -- Nearly two years after voters in Washington state legalized marijuana, the industry continues to evolve. Next week a SODO company will begin selling marijuana infused edibles to licensed retailers in the Seattle area.:rolleyes:

As to Celebrity. I don't use tobacco or marijuana. So I have not looked into their rules.

So why do you post?

We were in Northern California last month and they sure like their MJ in those little towns!:eek: You smelled it everywhere. :D:D

After we checked into the hotel I had to walk to the store to get some things so I got the full 'ambiance' of the town that we stayed in. I'm not usually a fan of its smell but after walking through it for a couple of blocks it kind of grows on you.:D

And man, did I ever have the case of the munchies by the time I got to the store!;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Those that cannot admit something smells as great as a good cigar either has not been around or keeps their head in the sand.

Not in your wildest ganja induced dreams. By the way, edibles is a great marketing strategy for children. :rolleyes: