Help, I'm Falling Apart!!

babs135

With just over 2 weeks to go to our trip I've paid a visit to the dentist because I'd got a gum infection (sorted) and had to see the pharmacist because of a persistent cough which at its worst threatens to cut me in half. She has informed me that "it is doing the rounds, antibiotics won't touch it and if you are unlucky it can last 2 to 3 weeks" :eek:

That'll look good at the cruise terminal.

On top of that my irritable bowel syndrome has flared up and our DD has an ingrowing toenail which needs sorting before we go away.

Hopefully so long as I keep using the mouthwash, take the foul tasting cough medicine and watch what I eat I should be okay. I so need this holiday :)

BTW: DH is quite healthy.....at the moment ;)

Edited by babs135

I just got over the cough that lasted two months. No fun. What worked best for me was coricidan cough and cold and sucking on a halls cough drop practically around the clock. Not good for tasting good food but controlled the cough for me. Hope you are in tip top shape when its time to sail.

I have heard that Hall's mentholated cough drops actually dry out your throat and exacerbate the problem. I have had a cough that lasted for weeks, and just so you don't get into a problem boarding, you can always just suck on a Luden's Wild Cherry or something to stop the cough briefly.

As for the gum infection, presuming that you are on an antibiotic, get some probiotics at the vitamin store. The antibiotic, if you are on one, will kill the good bacteria along with the bad bacteria, so at a time very separate from when you take the antibiotic, take a probiotic to repopulate your gut with good bacteria for digestion.

I am still coughing, although I'm trying to convince myself that the gap between the attacks is lengthening. I'm also trying inhalation to try and loosen anything on my chest and inbetween all that I'm taking a shot of whisky now and again (purely medicinal of course:D )

I've decided not to worry and just concentrate on taking the whisky, oops sorry should have said taking the cough medicine and think positive thoughts of wellbeing, etc, etc.

Two weeks today we will be on our way to Southampton to board the QM2 and I'll either be completely free of coughing or a raging alcoholic. Friends of Bill anyone?

Do you think you should see your doctor to be sure you don't have pneumonia or bronchitis?

Hope you fell better soon. :)

Apparently it's doing the rounds. However, it's open surgery at our doctors on Wednesday morning so if I'm no better I'll go and see him. Pharmacist says 2-3 weeks to clear for some people and most doctors not prescribing antibiotics. Anyway, we will see what happens on Wednesday.

• 11 months later...

You are not going to believe this, but 11 days before we are due to fly to New York and return on the QM2 one of my front teeth has become loose :eek:

Why does this wait until now :mad: Still, it could have happened either in New York with horrendous dental bills to contend with, or on the ship when I won't dare smile as people will stare (or not) at my gap.

I know what I'm doing first thing in the morning; a phonecall to the dentist and hope that a) he can fit me in quickly and b) he can sort me out properly.

I find it really weird and strange or any combination of oddness that these things happen just before I go away. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I sure as hell don't know what it is :confused:

You are not going to believe this, but 11 days before we are due to fly to New York and return on the QM2 one of my front teeth has become loose :eek:

Why does this wait until now :mad: Still, it could have happened either in New York with horrendous dental bills to contend with, or on the ship when I won't dare smile as people will stare (or not) at my gap.

I know what I'm doing first thing in the morning; a phonecall to the dentist and hope that a) he can fit me in quickly and b) he can sort me out properly.

I find it really weird and strange or any combination of oddness that these things happen just before I go away. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I sure as hell don't know what it is :confused:[/QUOT

I can sympathize with you. Hubby has a dental emergency almost every time we are set to cruise. We are leaving for Florida Friday and so far nothing .......but we still have Wednesday & Thursday :rolleyes:

I would swear it was on purpose but the poor guy is always in pain and so relieved after the extraction /filling or what ever that I know he is not doing it on purpose. I agree very weird!

Maybe someone can shed some light on this subject :)

Good luck!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I can sure sympathize with the OP. I always manage to get sick either on the plane or during the cruise. Not norovirus, but some lousy bug. After our last cruise we stayed in Rome for a few extra days, I went to Pope Francis' first outdoor Papal Mass with a raging fever.

The best part of the story is that five days before leaving for Europe I woke in the middle of the night in great pain and found out at the ER that I had a lovely kidney stone. I passed it before we left, but I cut it close. And yes, the flight over the pond was mildly uncomfortable as it takes a few days to heal.

I hope to never to experience anything like that again OR anything worse! Good luck on the trip!!

Update Got an appointment with the dentist who pulled the tooth. It was a crown (I'd forgotten it was) and was very lucky in that it came out, complete with pin, in one piece. The dentist was able to stick it back in :D

My mouth is still a little sore but hopefully will settle soon.

In an attempt to ward off anything else I have started taking Vitamin C tablets and praying!!!

BTW, DH was poorly during the night and having ministered to his needs I finally drifted off to sleep thinking 'we both definitely need a holiday' :D:D:D

Update Got an appointment with the dentist who pulled the tooth. It was a crown (I'd forgotten it was) and was very lucky in that it came out, complete with pin, in one piece. The dentist was able to stick it back in :D

My mouth is still a little sore but hopefully will settle soon.

In an attempt to ward off anything else I have started taking Vitamin C tablets and praying!!!

BTW, DH was poorly during the night and having ministered to his needs I finally drifted off to sleep thinking 'we both definitely need a holiday' :D

Was this the same tooth as last year? :D:D:D:D

Last year's problem was purely a gum infection. However, since then I have developed an infection in another tooth which will eventually have to be dealt with. As it involves a minimum of 30 minutes in the chair, or maybe even longer if I'm unlucky, whilst a dentist cuts away part of my gum, I'm not a happy bunny.

Obviously going to have to get it all sorted sooner rather than later. I hate dentists :eek:

If you're going to see your physician, why not ask if he/she will prescribe some cough medicine with codeine for you? That way you're not going to sound like Typhoid Mary on the ship. If you are coughing so badly at the check-in, you might be subjected to further scrutiny to see if you are actually healthy enough to board for the cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)