Food - Regent and Oceania

Travelcat2

Yes Carole -- I am kind of advertising Oceania. I think it woud be a nice change for Regent guests -- only on certain itineraries. There are negatives as well. I am trying to be fair to both cruise lines.

Host Dan, agree with above posts -- the 2nd bathroom has a shower which makes it a 3/4 bathroom.

Okay -- about NCL. Before I can fairly discuss this I must discuss what I have learned about Oceania customers. They are extremely, extremely loyal to Oceania. Many go back to Renaissance and certainly to Oceania before it was purchased by Apollo. They are also loyal to FDR and look up to him. FDR and his family are the founders of Oceania. It was family and remained family - at least until NCL stepped in. One can argue whether this was good or not, but, I know that Oceania was built from FDR's heart. I also know that once he and his lovely DW started working (think refurbishments) on Regent, this became part of their family as well.

Now back to this cruise. For obvious reasons I will do whatever is necessary to avoid information being attached to any specific crew member. When I stepped onto the ship, I "felt" that something was off. It certainly was not the food or service. I did not know what it was until computerworks emailed me to let me know that Mr. Kamlani resigned.

The only reason I felt concern is because NCL indicated in their public statement that nothing would change. An officer on Regent also stated this. He said that things will remain the same for 5 years. NOTE: YES - I AM YELLING (NICELY) THIS IS ALL HERESAY. Less than a month after the take-over by NCL, the President is gone. More heresay...... there have been more Oceania employees fired than Regent employees.

Do not want to lose this so it will be continued.

Curious. Are you interviewing fellow passangers and crew while on board?

Pam - thank you for the recommendation for a jewelry store:-)

Computerworks: I sent more yesterday -- may have to test the connection (after I give my DH some computer time).

Wendy, Carole and I joke about butlers. Our favorite butler, Pritham, was on Regent when Carole and I met. He was the best...... but, Oceania took him away.

In terms of food, Red Ginger has gone from our #2 favorite to #4. Polo moved up to #2 -- Jacques is #1. Still do not care for Terrace Cafe. Will try it at night but we have lobster available every day -- no need to dine in the "cafeteria" style restaurant at night for lobster. However, if they have sashimi, it would be worth it to us.

Must share what happened in the Terrace Cafe (although this will not occur again - hopefully as the G.M. has been advised). I ordered linguine w/clam sauce. They place two clams on top of the completed dish. The cook did not heat the clams long enough to open and put the unopened clams on top of the dish. I mentioned that they were not open. He took the dish back -- took a knife and attempted to pry them open. At this point I told him that I have changed my mind and would prefer not having the dish. This had the potential to be a dangerous move (as most of you know). Enough said about Terrace Cafe for now.

Had breakfast in the Grand Dining Room. It is one of the most beautiful dining venues we have ever seen. The food quality was the same as Regent - very good.

Time to turn over the computer to my DH.

P.S. The seas remain quite rough and is felt both forward and aft.

Un-opened clams is potentially dangerous as that means they are not adequately cooked. The server should know this. ( I am very picky about seafood as one of my aunts died of fulminent hepatitis due to eating raw oysters that were contaminated.)

I have to agree with Wendy about Polo--not my favorite, though the decor is very nice. Much prefer Prime 7.

TC2, I agree with you about Red Ginger. It was our least favorite and I love seafood and sushi. My tastes are geared more for Nobu/Matsuhisa style. As for sushi/sashimi in Terrace, I would generally have it for lunch with a salad. Quite generic but still fresh. As for lobster etc. from their grill in the evening, for us it is about ambiance when dining and we would always snag a table overlooking the sea when in the Med. Our same wine steward would promptly bring our bottle of wine and it was most comfortable with same table for two, same wine, same waiter. We will always dine Al Fresco when weather permits vs: being stuck in an interior dining room. Personal choice for us. Enjoy your cruise, I like your updates.

Oh good - thought that what I sent this morning went into oblivion. Will take better photos tonight -- in Red Ginger.

The noise and vibration in the front of the ship is very surprising. We have been forward on the Voyager - decks 11 and 7 and it was quiet compared to the Riviera (we are on deck 8). Anyway, she is still a stunning ship.

In terms of ambiance, it is pitch black when we dine in the evening so sitting next to a window doesn't help (unless you are docked which we will be tonight -- think this is the only time we do not depart early). The last time we were on the Riviera it was very warm outside and the window tables (particularly in Toscana and Polo) were very warm. For those Regent people that have not been on the Riviera, the windows are slanted in the aft part of the ship -- where the restaurants are.

Everyone has their own tastes. We find the Grand Dining Room to be stunning and also really like the ambiance of Jacques and Polo. Like the decor of Red Ginger but not the ambiance (no windows). To me, the Terrace Cafe is like a coffee shop with a buffet in the middle.

In terms of Polo vs. Prime 7 -- Prime 7 wins for quality and Polo wins for ambiance and service (at least on this cruise when we have had extraordinary service). The Terrace Cafe has at least twice the number of servers as La Veranda. Note: I am taking into consideration the size of the Terrace Cafe. While plates are not generally taken to your table, empty plates are picked up promptly. So, IMO, the service is better in the Terrace Cafe. However, I walk in circles (literally) trying to find food that I like in the Terrace Cafe. (continued)

Un-opened clams is potentially dangerous as that means they are not adequately cooked. The server should know this. ( I am very picky about seafood as one of my aunts died of fulminent hepatitis due to eating raw oysters that were contaminated.)

I have to agree with Wendy about Polo--not my favorite, though the decor is very nice. Much prefer Prime 7.

Crazy about the clams. Either they were put on top of the dish uncooked, which is not good, or they were cooked and failed to open, which is worse, since it means they were probably dead already. That's just poor training, for sure.

Polo wasn't my favourite, but I think Toscana was my *least* favourite. We are lucky to have one of the largest populations of Italian extraction in our home city, Toronto, so we are fussy about Italian. But even here in Dunedin, FL we can get nicer Italian food than Toscana.

And all the over-the-top fussy stuff in Toscana and Red Ginger really put me off. Choose my chopsticks? Really? And in Toscana, what was it? Choos your own live oil and balsamic vinegar? Come on, just give me good food, well prepared, presented and served. Don't give me an ersatz show!

Most things that look good on the buffet end up disappointing. There are many more choices on Oceania than on Regent but we feel the quality is better on Regent. There were two suckling pigs on the buffet today - they looked beautiful. IMO, there was no taste to them whatsoever. The sushi rolls were about Regent quality -- I found one roll that was to my liking and that is almost all I had for lunch. Bolognese sauce is not available every day (it usually is on Regent). The no sugar added iced cream yesterday (coffee) was also tasteless. It needed at least a flavor of coffee. Some of the items were not really warm enough and felt as if they had been sitting a while (specifically the rice).

Drink service has been good to excellent but we prefer to order drinks at the bar since we "call" the brand of alcohol that we prefer.

So, in a short mid-cruise summary. The Vista Suite is better than any suite on Regent. Jacques is twice as good as Signatures. The Culinary Center classes are wonderful. Polo and the Terrace Cafe are not as good as their equivalent on Regent. Red Ginger is in a class by itself - no Regent comparison. Le Reserve is also in it's own class. As good as it is, it has no place on a Regent ship. Service on this particular cruise is equal to the best service we have had on Regent. In some cases, it is better. (The last Riviera cruise did not quite have the service that this cruise has. And some Regent cruises are not as good as the cruise we are on).

A note about Red Ginger before I forget. This dining venue gets mixed reviews. I thought of it as "Asian Fusion". I learned that Red Ginger flavors are based in Cambodia/Vietnam and Southeast Asia. It is not meant to be Chinese, Korean or Japanese. If I had a choice, I would like to see more of a Chinese and Japanese influence on the new Regent ship. While I love the Miso Glazed Sea Bass (also served on Regent), I am not finding the depth of flavors that we enjoyed in the Asian restaurant - Latitudes -- which became Prime 7 a few years ago. Soups in particular are crying out for more flavor. I understand that some cruising guests need to have bland foods. It might be a good idea to serve the Asian inspired food with a small tray of spices to add in order to give it the robust flavor that it deserves).

Food is subjective -- these are just the opinions of my DH and myself.

It was raining a few minutes ago -- hopefully it has stopped so that I can visit my jewelry stores. More later.

Edited by Travelcat2

Spa? Sauna? Espresso Bar? Pool area? Artists Loft? Putting course?

All areas of Oceania O ships being superior to all current Regent ships.

Don't forget - you also only pay for what you want;

For a long time I wanted all inclusive beverages - then they dropped some premium brands on Regent. We've dropped them now because of added excursions. Not even in consideration. I think food is much better on Oceania although there are fewer choices.

Don't forget - you also only pay for what you want;

For a long time I wanted all inclusive beverages - then they dropped some premium brands on Regent. We've dropped them now because of added excursions. Not even in consideration. I think food is much better on Oceania although there are fewer choices.

I cannot imagine having more choices than O has ...I have enough trouble trying to decide what to eat ...my stomach can only hold so much :D

Lyn

Goodness - I cannot imagine more choices than Oceania has (unless you go on a main stream cruise line.

Regent does have a putting green, gorgeous Coffee Connection with espresso machines and many included alcoholic and non-alcoholic coffee drinks loads of food...... actually much superior to Oceania. The pool area is similar to the Riviera. Very happy that there will be a Culinary Center on the new ship. I don't care one way or the other about the Artist's Loft although it does seem popular here.

If Regent no longer carries some name brand alcohol, please let us know what it is. We have not noticed anything missing (although wines change all of the time).

Great info that will definitely weigh in when we discuss our 2016 cruise options. Really appreciate it. However, inquiring minds want to know: did you get the ring in Aruba? If so, take a pic and post it so I can use it as ammo to convince The Boss to take me back to Aruba. Across the street from the pier is the Renaissance Hotel. I was deployed to Aruba (thank you taxpayers!:D) and our crew decided to clean out the hotel's rum inventory. I fell in the pool, tore the shower curtain off to stop falling into the bath tub, and woke up on the floor in my birthday suit, all before 3pm.

Thanks for letting me reminisce and keep writing!

Z and TB

Great info that will definitely weigh in when we discuss our 2016 cruise options. Really appreciate it. However, inquiring minds want to know: did you get the ring in Aruba? If so, take a pic and post it so I can use it as ammo to convince The Boss to take me back to Aruba. Across the street from the pier is the Renaissance Hotel. I was deployed to Aruba (thank you taxpayers!:D) and our crew decided to clean out the hotel's rum inventory. I fell in the pool, tore the shower curtain off to stop falling into the bath tub, and woke up on the floor in my birthday suit, all before 3pm.

Thanks for letting me reminisce and keep writing!

Z and TB

Cannot stop laughing :D :D :D :D Yes - my DH got me a ring but not going to post a picture. I'm not into elaborate rings...... suffice it to say that there are small black and white diamonds in a white gold setting. I'm very pleased. Now I have a ring from Thailand, one from India (my favorite) one has a setting from Hong Kong and a sapphire from Thailand and the rest from the U.S I wear these every day (I wear very little jewelry -- this ring is for our 35th anniversary -- I wear a pendant with chocolate diamonds only on cruises -- I put it on and take it off when we get home). Too much information:-)

Tonight's dinner with the G.M. was delightful. They assisted me in taking photos of food (just sent to computerworks). The food, service and company were outstanding. We have known the H.R. Manager for many years (Regent). The G.M. is from Belgium and is delightful. He has an extensive food background.

Tomorrow morning (too early) we will be snorkeling in Bonaire. Really looking forward to it. They have sea horses that we have not seen in the "wild" before as well as sea turtles and other intereting sea life.

We are docked here until 11:00 p.m We intentionally shopped early because a HUGE Carnival ship docked a couple of hours after we did. Definitely wanted to avoid the crowd.

There is a HUGE putting green on Riviera - near the paddle tennis court and the golf net. It is an 18 hole one - really 9 holes with 2 holes each and very difficult. We loved it.

Wendy - I agree with you about Toscana. Who needs to choose olive oil? You certainly do not do that in restaurants in Milan. We gave up our second res. at Toscana on our last cruise as we found the food too heavy and too "American" in portions.

Jackie - I have always been told (and indeed Churchill told me as well) that the balcony of the Vista Suite cannot be used when the ship is under way because of wind. Are you finding that to be true ? And do you think it is the wind that is causing the vibration? We were in 12007 which is really far forward and did not experience any vibration until the day we were off Honduras and in a storm... could not dock in fact.

Any news about the GM for 1 April??

Gerry

We are docked here until 11:00 p.m We intentionally shopped early because a HUGE Carnival ship docked a couple of hours after we did. Definitely wanted to avoid the crowd.

travelcat2

When we were docked in tiny Key West last March, I remember seeing this ship pulling in and thinking it was quite lovely......until the crowds of people started pouring down the gangplank. One of the crew mentioned that it was because of all the inside rooms that they were able to have that many onboard. Way too many people for us and understandable why it isn't bundled into the vague "luxury" designation. I went back to our ship early also to avoid the crowd.There is something for everyone.

There is a HUGE putting green on Riviera - near the paddle tennis court and the golf net. It is an 18 hole one - really 9 holes with 2 holes each and very difficult. We loved it.

Wendy - I agree with you about Toscana. Who needs to choose olive oil? You certainly do not do that in restaurants in Milan. We gave up our second res. at Toscana on our last cruise as we found the food too heavy and too "American" in portions.

Jackie - I have always been told (and indeed Churchill told me as well) that the balcony of the Vista Suite cannot be used when the ship is under way because of wind. Are you finding that to be true ? And do you think it is the wind that is causing the vibration? We were in 12007 which is really far forward and did not experience any vibration until the day we were off Honduras and in a storm... could not dock in fact.

Any news about the GM for 1 April??

Gerry

I asked Yves last night about the GM for 1 April. He will check and get back to me.

You are correct, the Vista Suite balcony cannot be used when the ship is under way In fact, all of the furniture is roped down. However it is lovely when we are in port We noticed the same issue with wind in the Master Suites on the Navigator and Voyager. The horrendous banging noise we hear is from under the ship somewhere. It may happen when the ship hits the waves particularly hard. I've heard the same kind kind of sound on the Navigator. It feels and sounds like you've just hit something. When the ship is docking and going sideways, it is particularly noisy and you feel vibration. We have been in rough seas with high winds which I sure is a consideration. The aft portion of the ship swayed quite a bit (Terrace Cafe). At this point, we are very happy that we are on deck 8 and not deck 11 or 12.

Going snorkeling this morning (private tour).

Think I agree about Toscana. It rated #4 out of 4 specialty restaurants last time -- we have yet to dine there on this cruise Jacques remains our #1 choice and we dine there again this evening.

Travel Cat--Hope you enjoy Bonaire. We haven't been there in several years, but its diving/snorkeling opportunities set the bar for us. Klein Bonaire, an offshore island, is particularly good for seeing underwater wildlife. All that activity and color is mesmerizing for sure. Hope you have a great experience! Please let us know if you enjoy your excursion.:)

Suite Travels: No apology necessary -- besides, you did not take the thread off topic. Just one quick response....... we have been part of the Trusted Travelers program for 9 years and would not do anything to jeopardize our status -- particularly since we cross the border into Canada on a regular basis.

A few comments about the cruise. First, Gerry -- I have discovered part of the noise issue (BTW, we are in 8002 -- you may be in this suite or 8001 on your cruise). One piece of equipment in the fitness room rattles when the ship vibrates. It is no big deal but is loud. We are not "hitting whales" at the moment -- smooth sailing.

I took a couple of pictures from Jacques tonight - will send to computerworks tomorrow.

Someone is interested in Hendricks Gin. It is available on board (no extra charge if you have the Premium Alcohol Package). Another note on alcohol, there is no top shelf tequila (at least nothing equivalent to Patron Silver and Don Julio Anejo which is available on Regent).

I wonder why the elevators on the Riviera go to "floors" rather than "decks". The "voice" indicates what "floor" number you are on.

Finally found something that I like in Terrace Cafe - the bread sticks! Very fresh. I take some butter (unsalted) and salt it. While I rarely "salt" anything, the butter needs salt (IMO). Continued below.

Edited by Travelcat2

We were in Bonaire today. Loved it. They are Dutch and are protesting cut-backs. There are signs comparing the Ukraine and Russia with Bonaire and Holland. Apparently their healthcare, retirement and other benefits are being greatly decreased. Just thought I would mention this.

We had a private snorkeling tour. If we were to return, we could easily do this on our own. We have snorkeled in many places and find Bonaire to be amongst the top. Fishing is not allowed from the shore or docks. Therefore, the fish feel safe. Just by walking into the water and floating, you can see sea life that is typically only visible from reefs far away from the shore. We saw three types of eels, an octopus, many, many types of fish -- it was like an aquarium. Warm water - clear -- just delightful

We had lovely scallops in Jacques tonight. I cannot recall having better scallops anywhere. We made a point to sit in Vincent's section. He is quite a character -- we had laughs, a French lesson and definitely an enjoyable dining experience. Note: Regent food, IOO ("in our opinion") is better than Oceania. However, the service has been over the top? Is that because we are in one of the top suites and Oceania pays attention to that while Regent does not? Food for thought!

Note: Regent food, IOO ("in our opinion") is better than Oceania. However, the service has been over the top? Is that because we are in one of the top suites and Oceania pays attention to that while Regent does not? Food for thought!

You've got to be kidding! This is the reverse of what you claimed last year while you were on the Oceania.