What to do when part of group can't go

cindivan

I read these boards frequently and don't remember seeing anything about this, and also tried to search but was unsuccessful.

We are a group of 12 going on the December 27 Oasis. There are 8 of us that are over 21. When we booked, we were a group of 14 and we organized the rooms so that one adult was in each room or next door, etc, according to the rules of RC and minors. My parents were listed in separate cabins with a minor with each of them. Now my parents can't go because my mom is getting surgery. I had purchased insurance with the pre-existing condition rider so I will have to start that process tomorrow.

Questions -

Does anyone have any advice on the insurance process? I got it through Travel Guard which was the only one I could find that would let me pay additional to allow for pre-existing conditions. I think it seems pretty straight-forward and we are within the rules, I just didn't know if anyone had any advice relating to this.

I called RC today to ask them what we do about the rooms and minor situation. They told me it would be better for me to re-organize the rooms and their occupants before we get there and they would allow us to move people where needed to make sure we abide by their rules. We have enough adults to split out the minors in the room listing, and I guess we will end up with 2 people getting their own room. Again, I think it's pretty straight-forward but I thought I would ask if anyone has been through this and has advice for me.

Thanks!

But CC members are WAY more knowledgeable than most travel agents!;)

i agree with you. i am both. you need help from your agent to make the adjusted arrangements. don't rely on the cruiseline to make your arrangements. i don't mean the insurance claim i mean the cabin arrangements. someone needs to take responsiblity of the minors. you need your agent to arrange this.

i agree with you. i am both. you need help from your agent to make the adjusted arrangements. don't rely on the cruiseline to make your arrangements. i don't mean the insurance claim i mean the cabin arrangements. someone needs to take responsiblity of the minors. you need your agent to arrange this.

I guess I wasn't very clear in my question. I know I need to contact my travel agent. I know before I contact them I need to figure out who goes where and they will call RC and do the room switches. I just didn't know if anyone who had done this had some advice that someone who is doing this for the first time might not think of.

My boys are already vying for who gets their own room, and then there is the whole issue of 6 other cousins who will be crashing their rooms, but that is a topic for another group. :o

Thanks!

I guess I wasn't very clear in my question. I know I need to contact my travel agent. I know before I contact them I need to figure out who goes where and they will call RC and do the room switches. I just didn't know if anyone who had done this had some advice that someone who is doing this for the first time might not think of.

My boys are already vying for who gets their own room, and then there is the whole issue of 6 other cousins who will be crashing their rooms, but that is a topic for another group. :o

Thanks!

if your agent doesn't know all the people involved an adult needs to figure it out and discuss with the agent. it is a very big responsibility. if the kids don't behave they can be put off the ship and the adults have to be responsible. read the fine print in the brochure or the website. i hope they all have passports in case they have to fly home.

Minor children can be in their own cabin and can be booked that way with no need to change cabins on board providing,

The cabins are directly beside the parents or,

Directly across the hall and

You have to call RCI to do this. It cannot be done on line. This applies to the travel agents reservation system as well which is why a lot of TA's will tell you you have to Have an adult and child in each room.

There are several things to think about. . . However, I would put an adult as a single in the two solo rooms so they get the double points. [if this is possible considering the minors] The reason is the minors get the status of parents as long as they are minors. This may not be important to you.:o

There are several things to think about. . . However, I would put an adult as a single in the two solo rooms so they get the double points. [if this is possible considering the minors] The reason is the minors get the status of parents as long as they are minors. This may not be important to you.:o

Well that certainly IS something to consider. DH and I have a JS so if I list him in another room and just me in the JS would I get 28 points??!! That would be awesome! We have never had one person in a stateroom by themselves so I kind of remember hearing something about that, but wasn't sure how it worked.

Assume you are aware that single room occupants pay single supplement.

We have already made final payment. We get nothing back from RC because my parents can't go - that will come through our secondary travel insurance. So as far as RC is concerned, they got the money for both. I guess we will get back their port taxes though?

We have already made final payment. We get nothing back from RC because my parents can't go - that will come through our secondary travel insurance. So as far as RC is concerned, they got the money for both. I guess we will get back their port taxes though?

Yes, Royal will refund taxes and any prepaid items, like gratuties, excursions, beverage packages, etc.

Edited by clarea

Well that certainly IS something to consider. DH and I have a JS so if I list him in another room and just me in the JS would I get 28 points??!! That would be awesome! We have never had one person in a stateroom by themselves so I kind of remember hearing something about that, but wasn't sure how it worked.

No, you would get 21 points - 14 (double) for being solo and an extra 7 for being in a JS.

No, you would get 21 points - 14 (double) for being solo and an extra 7 for being in a JS.

See, THIS is why I am asking CC members - a travel agent may or may not give me all the great advice like I have gotten so quickly from all you experienced members (well, except for somewhat odd/judgmental comment that my kids might be kicked off the ship so they better have their passports ready!)

7 points closer to D+

Thanks everyone!

No only 21 points. 14 points as solo and 7 additional for JS. However your cost will be adjusted to the single supplement rate.

Just be very careful about which kids are in which cabin. There was a grandmother who posted last year about having to cancel a graduation cruise for her granddaughter and friends because they had too many non-related kids in the cabins with her and her husband. I don't remember the exact details but they were one too many friend over.

If all the kids parents are with you, I would try to keep them booked as much together as possible and get duplicate keys once you get on board. You can move whoever, where ever once you are on the ship. If you have "extra non-relateds", don't put them all with one adult as that is where the other family had issues.

I hope you get what I am trying to say. I will try to find the thread which will explain it better.

Found it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1635089&highlight=graduation+cruise+cancelled

Edited by reallyitsmema

Just be very careful about which kids are in which cabin. There was a grandmother who posted last year about having to cancel a graduation cruise for her granddaughter and friends because they had too many non-related kids in the cabins with her and her husband. I don't remember the exact details but they were one too many friend over.

If all the kids parents are with you, I would try to keep them booked as much together as possible and get duplicate keys once you get on board. You can move whoever, where ever once you are on the ship. If you have "extra non-relateds", don't put them all with one adult as that is where the other family had issues.

I hope you get what I am trying to say. I will try to find the thread which will explain it better.

I do understand what you are saying. Of the 4 below-21 kids traveling, 3 are ours and DH is going, and the other one is my nephew and both his parents are going. So I might not be able to take advantage of the extra 7 points for single room, but I not worried about having enough adults to cover the kids. I did have to worry about what you are saying for the spring break trip I am taking my HS senior and a few friends on in April though. Luckily one other mom stepped up so we were able to swing two extra friends. They are strict about that but I understand, and it makes it easier for me to say no to all that responsibility anyway.

Thanks again everyone!

See, THIS is why I am asking CC members - a travel agent may or may not give me all the great advice like I have gotten so quickly from all you experienced members (well, except for somewhat odd/judgmental comment that my kids might be kicked off the ship so they better have their passports ready!)

7 points closer to D+

Thanks everyone!

i didn't mean your kids, i meant the kids you may take responsibility for. it happens.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy.

Since they are listed in separate rooms if I cancel them I get back 25% but then I'm charged a single supplement for the other person. If I try to move around people then I am not "canceling" them and then there is "no penalty" (not quite sure what they mean by that because I am not getting back my cruise fare and they would no longer be listed as cruising) and then it won't be eligible for insurance reimbursement. I asked if we could move them in a room together and cancel both and go down one room, but was told then it would like not canceling them and there would be no penalty and thus no insurance reimbursement.

My head is spinning with all the different stories I keep getting.

Back to the drawing board - call insurance, etc. I have been on the line with my travel agent and RC for almost 3 hours now with people trying to figure this out....

If anyone else wants advice on this, I would say wait until you are within 100% penalty or just don't show up - assuming that is going to fly with insurance. But definitely don't cancel one person out of two in the room. CRAZY!!!!

I knew it wasn't going to be easy.

Since they are listed in separate rooms if I cancel them I get back 25% but then I'm charged a single supplement for the other person. If I try to move around people then I am not "canceling" them and then there is "no penalty" (not quite sure what they mean by that because I am not getting back my cruise fare and they would no longer be listed as cruising) and then it won't be eligible for insurance reimbursement. I asked if we could move them in a room together and cancel both and go down one room, but was told then it would like not canceling them and there would be no penalty and thus no insurance reimbursement.

My head is spinning with all the different stories I keep getting.

Back to the drawing board - call insurance, etc. I have been on the line with my travel agent and RC for almost 3 hours now with people trying to figure this out....

If anyone else wants advice on this, I would say wait until you are within 100% penalty or just don't show up - assuming that is going to fly with insurance. But definitely don't cancel one person out of two in the room. CRAZY!!!!

cindi, when you have an insurance claim, the doctor has to fill out the forms for the insurance company to reimburse. if the date that the doctor decided surgery was necessary, and the cancellation date don't match, the insurance will not pay. a no show will not work.

cindi, when you have an insurance claim, the doctor has to fill out the forms for the insurance company to reimburse. if the date that the doctor decided surgery was necessary, and the cancellation date don't match, the insurance will not pay. a no show will not work.

Not necessarily - Whether she is cleared to go might depend on how well she does after surgery. At this point I think that is our best option since we can't cancel now anyway.

I am posting this in case anyone else searches for a similar situation at some point.

After a 4 hour phone call with no progress, I took a break and after a 2 hour phone call I was able to convince them to put my parents together in a room and cancel that room. We had to get the "resolution department" involved and even then it was a long process. They wanted to move 2 rooms from Boardwalk to Central Park and still upcharge me. Then they said they would allow us to move with no additional charge, but we did not want to move to CP from BW. Finally we worked it out and we gave up one BW room and I (supposedly, have to wait a couple days! for the updated invoice....) will be credited back 25% because we are within that window and then hopefully insurance will cover the rest. We are all on the up and up - it's just a crazy long process to actually get it done I guess when you know in advance enough to still be in the partial refund window.

And of course we lost some MTD reservations that we will hopefully clear up on board. What a wasted day this was.

Good luck to anyone who has to do this - only the very persistent will get anything done because RC's first and consistent response to anything out of the ordinary is it can't be done.

But CC members are WAY more knowledgeable than most travel agents!;)

I am posting this in case anyone else searches for a similar situation at some point.

After a 4 hour phone call with no progress, I took a break and after a 2 hour phone call I was able to convince them to put my parents together in a room and cancel that room. We had to get the "resolution department" involved and even then it was a long process. They wanted to move 2 rooms from Boardwalk to Central Park and still upcharge me. Then they said they would allow us to move with no additional charge, but we did not want to move to CP from BW. Finally we worked it out and we gave up one BW room and I (supposedly, have to wait a couple days! for the updated invoice....) will be credited back 25% because we are within that window and then hopefully insurance will cover the rest. We are all on the up and up - it's just a crazy long process to actually get it done I guess when you know in advance enough to still be in the partial refund window.

And of course we lost some MTD reservations that we will hopefully clear up on board. What a wasted day this was.

Good luck to anyone who has to do this - only the very persistent will get anything done because RC's first and consistent response to anything out of the ordinary is it can't be done.

SO since your dealing direct with RCCL - you booked direct and not thru a Travel Agent - too bad - they probably could have helped you a lot