My gut or my DW's wishes?

RCCL Fan

So all the Quantum new ship hype is out there.... and she's caught the bug.

I admit I have too, so I agreed to get planning.

But every time i sit in front the computer credit card in hand I say no.

We don't live near NYC, so sailing from there is not of any use or appeal to us.

Nassau is our least favorite port, we always stay on board. Orlando... no thanks.

Coco Cay... never had a ship actually make it there yet.

So all the ports are a throw away to us on the 8 day.

And 12 day trips....

Not even a question for us.

Not sure I understand that one.... ship is supposed to be aimed toward the younger generation, yet unless it's summer break and you're in school you don't have 12 days of vacation to use on a cruise.

big disconnect there in my opinion.

Am I wrong??? What young people are taking Anthem from jersey to labadee, jamaica, grand cayman, costa maya, roatan, cozumel, then all the way back up to jersey... 2 weeks off?

I would think those cruises would be senior focused, but that's me.

Rip Cord.... I weigh too much.

Dynamic Dining.... we did this on celebrity (never went to dining room, just did speciality the whole cruise, we vowed never again, too much stress with the reservations)

270.... we're all in!!!

NorthStar... we're both boycotting in favor of VCL

Music Hall... long overdue... sign us up!

Internet... we usually lock our phones in the safe as soon as we step on board.

So... do we do it, cuz we're loyal to royal? cuz it's out lines newest ship and why not? Or do I roll on with something more tried and true for us.

Everytime I go to book, I think my list of negatives is so much longer than positives.

Intriguing proposition. Depending on what it means to you to sail on the largest ship out there, I would say one try is worth it. But your eval on things does have merit for you. I just say test your presumptions by trying it once.

I was excited about Quantum when it was first announced, cooled off steadily over time. For many of the reasons you mentioned I just don't think it is for me, I will probably try it at some point (just like I tried Allure) but not in a rush to spend premium dollars on a product just because its there.

I was seriously trying to talk my wife into the Anthem TA. It's only 8 days. But after reading about the Quantum and Oasis TA, I booked Freedom for next year. But, that might be an option for you.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Was booked on the March 22 eight day, but just couldn't come to love the itinerary. Don't care for 12 day cruises as I like to cruise multiple times a year and only have so many vacation days.

For me it is just that simple. Either sail it out of FL or I'll never experience Quantum class ships that sail out of the U.S.

We booked Quantum for Feb. 20. Nine night. Plenty of time to see the ship. Quantum is going to Asia. Not sure where Anthem will end up, but some have said in the past that it'll stay in Europe. Who knows. So, the price was great for a Spa Junior Suite, middle hump. I want to see the ship. May love it, may hate it. But at least I'll know. I picked Feb. 20 for a number of reasons, number 1 being that there will be many sailings by then so hopefully the bugs will be worked out.

Anyway, I'd go just because there may not be another chance. I'd say go for it. It's a terrifically new concept.

Trust your gut on this one. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's the best. Only that it's the newest. I think you're correct about the itineraries. They are throw-aways. If I were you I'd sooner do Allure, especially before she gets changed over to Dynamic Dining like her sister Oasis.

And 12 day trips....

Not sure I understand that one.... ship is supposed to be aimed toward the younger generation, yet unless it's summer break and you're in school you don't have 12 days of vacation to use on a cruise.

Am I wrong??? What young people are taking Anthem from jersey to labadee, jamaica, grand cayman, costa maya, roatan, cozumel, then all the way back up to jersey... 2 weeks off?

Man oh man, do I wish there were more short cruises from NJ or Baltimore. I know I'm not alone in that either, I have friends who also love to cruise but again...like you said, for younger working people and families, how often do you actually have 8-10 days of vacation to use on a cruise? And I'm certainly not flying to Florida for just a 4-nighter.

Man oh man, do I wish there were more short cruises from NJ or Baltimore. I know I'm not alone in that either, I have friends who also love to cruise but again...like you said, for younger working people and families, how often do you actually have 8-10 days of vacation to use on a cruise? And I'm certainly not flying to Florida for just a 4-nighter.

The PVSA (the term Jones Act is sometimes used) is likely preventing the short round trip cruises you desire from Baltimore or NY/NJ. The act says a foreign flagged ship from those ports must visit a foreign port (or make no stops at all) before returning to home port. While ships from Florida can bop over to the Bahamas, the distance to a foreign port are greater from NE ports, so 4 day cruises may not be workable from your vicinity. The US has many wonderful cities; without the PVSA, many wonderful long and short itineraries could be designed along the Atlantic seaboard, Gulf, and Pacific.

Take it up with your congressman (or just bang your head against a wall).

OP:

I'd also like to try the new ships, but I likely won't make it aboard before Quantum leaves for Asia. Maybe the next one....

Edited by Starry Eyes

I agree w/ OP. Very little about the Quantum class impresses me. On our last cruise on Grandeur, we bought a dining package, and they charged us up front for the first two nights. The only reservation we got a reminder for was the last night, that they hadn't charged up front.

We've heard the beds were uncomfortable (that's why we don't cruise Princess more). And the furniture in the staterooms looks awful with those low backed chairs.

We liked the set up of the Spa JS, but that low backed desk chair is a deal breaker for DH.

Also, we can cruise the Western Caribbean from Galveston.

I'd like to believe I'm young (30) and I LOVE the 12 day itineraries! 7 or 8 is just too short for me. I didn't realize they were senior cruises. I just plan to take the time off work long in advance.

ETA: I am most certainly taking Anthem to Cozumel, Jamaica, etc. One of the only times it goes there from the northeast!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jmrothermel

The PVSA (the term Jones Act is sometimes used) is likely preventing the short round trip cruises you desire from Baltimore or NY/NJ. The act says a foreign flagged ship from those ports must visit a foreign port (or make no stops at all) before returning to home port. While ships from Florida can bop over to the Bahamas, the distance to a foreign port are greater from NE ports, so 4 day cruises may not be workable from your vicinity. The US has many wonderful cities; without the PVSA, many wonderful long and short itineraries could be designed along the Atlantic seaboard, Gulf, and Pacific.

Very interesting. I'd happily give a reasonably-priced (ie, not the ridiculous inaugural rates) CTN or Canada jaunt on the Quantum a shot!

NCL does have a few short winter nowhere cruises that sail out of NYC scheduled this year...we were really close to booking one but ended up pregnant just a little sooner than expected and now I miss the cutoff. Maybe next year...:)

Hey, more for us in the NE. Costing me for an 11 niter the same as a 7 niter. Still getting 7 sunny and warm days in February. And unless you sail out of SJ, which we do quite often, FL can be chilly, therefore not as enjoyable when trying to get away from the NE cold.

I wouldn't fly to NJ to cruise to the Bahamas just to try a new ship, especially one that still has many, many kinks to work out.

I do understand why all those living in NY/NJ & vicinity like the cruises from NJ. But Royal better be able to fill most of the cabins from those locals. We generally don't cruise in the summer when prices are high & ships are filled with kids. In the winter, the LAST thing we'd want to do is fly North to colder weather and get on a cruise ship where at minimum the first couple & last couple days are pretty much guaranteed to be COLD, maybe even snowy! No thanks!

I do understand why all those living in NY/NJ & vicinity like the cruises from NJ. But Royal better be able to fill most of the cabins from those locals. We generally don't cruise in the summer when prices are high & ships are filled with kids. In the winter, the LAST thing we'd want to do is fly North to colder weather and get on a cruise ship where at minimum the first couple & last couple days are pretty much guaranteed to be COLD, maybe even snowy! No thanks!

Yep; I used to live in NJ and cruised out of Bayonne many times for warm weather cruises, even did a few repo cruises. But would not do the winter cruises from NJ; you burn a day on each end with cold weather. Now that I am in FL I have a choice of 3 major ports within easy distance. Since the itinerary for Quantum is nothing special or new, I can't justify the cost of airfare AND higher ticket prices just to try something new. Weather is unpredictable, but for the Inaugural Quantum missed Coco Cay. So an 8 day cruise with Nassau and Port Canaveral. Not interested.

When/If Anthem comes to a Florida port it will be considered, especially if it does a southern route.

Dude - I don't have to read a word of your post, or what others have said. There is only one answer... go with the DW's wishes.

lol... Life is so much easier when you follow this logic!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

So all the Quantum new ship hype is out there.... and she's caught the bug.

I admit I have too, so I agreed to get planning.

But every time i sit in front the computer credit card in hand I say no.

We don't live near NYC, so sailing from there is not of any use or appeal to us.

Nassau is our least favorite port, we always stay on board. Orlando... no thanks.

Coco Cay... never had a ship actually make it there yet.

So all the ports are a throw away to us on the 8 day.

And 12 day trips....

I would think those cruises would be senior focused, but that's me.

Rip Cord.... I weigh too much.

Dynamic Dining.... we did this on celebrity (never went to dining room, just did speciality the whole cruise, we vowed never again, too much stress with the reservations)

270.... we're all in!!!

NorthStar... we're both boycotting in favor of VCL

Music Hall... long overdue... sign us up!

Internet... we usually lock our phones in the safe as soon as we step on board.

So... do we do it, cuz we're loyal to royal? cuz it's out lines newest ship and why not? Or do I roll on with something more tried and true for us.

Everytime I go to book, I think my list of negatives is so much longer than positives.

We were in the same predicament -- my husband and I were going back and forth. Then my sister called us from onboard the Liberty ..She found a comprimise -- 10 day Eastern on Anthem San Juan, St thomas, St Maarten, St Kitts and back. It's in January and to go to NY in Jan only to go to an Eastern itinerary is still unbelievable to me but we booked it. We do want to see the ship.

Very interesting. I'd happily give a reasonably-priced (ie, not the ridiculous inaugural rates) CTN or Canada jaunt on the Quantum a shot!

NCL does have a few short winter nowhere cruises that sail out of NYC scheduled this year...we were really close to booking one but ended up pregnant just a little sooner than expected and now I miss the cutoff. Maybe next year...:)

What a happy reason to miss a ctn...congratulations.

I suspect NCL's CTN are fillers to adjust sailing dates. As I would have to fly to port, I'd only do one if I could tack into another cruise as a B2B. I think taxes are high as a % of the total cost of CTN from NY. I hope one works out for you.

I guess Halifax and St John must both be 600 NM or so from NY, so a 4 day jaunt would be a boarding, a day at sea, a port stop in Canada, another day at sea, disembarkation. I doubt it would have wide enough appeal to make if profitable on a new ship and the season would be short. More likely they'd add days (and perhaps go to Bermuda instead).

I'd wait for Anthem. Give RCI time to sort out the kinks. The Quantum class can't go to Bermuda until the Bermudan gov't dredges again and they're balking at that. Anthem will debut first in Europe then come to Bayonne. Anthem's summer season will be in Europe and winter season in Bayonne. I was on the inaugural and the technology wasn't perfect, yet.

We are currently on the Quantum. Started sailing Dec 1st. My husband and I are in our middle 50s. Not so young but not so old, I guess.

The ship is beautiful. It is nice to see some new RC decor. The rooms are gorgeous from the smallest to the largest. To be honest if you like cruising you know to figure out the right cabin for your pocket book and your needs. Lots of different rooms in addition to usual ones.

Entertainment is excellent and everywhere you go. I have seen Momma Mia twice on Broadway and this is every bit as good.

Food: The restaurants are beautifully decorated over the top. So far our food has been surprising good. Yes it takes a little more effort before you arrive to call RC to make your reservations. We made a 7:30 reservation every night. Made it easy to remember. Nice to have dinner when you want without standing in the "My Time Dining" line. We miss the same waiter relationship but we have enjoyed meeting the waiters in the restaurants as well. It is different and I think you are never to old to try new things. And you can schedule the same restaurant at the same time every night if you don't want variety.

Because it's a new ship, it's still a little pricey. This ship is way different than Allure and Oasis. Reminds me of the feel of the Voyager class but with updated entertainment areas like 270 and Music Hall! Oh and the windjammer is larger, cleaner and has more options.

My husband is self employed and the new connectivity is great! The iPhone technology has kept us connected to our friends on board. Love seeing our schedule and reservations on our phone along with our on board charges.

There are still some issues they are working on but I have yet to be on a ship where they are not working on something.

Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk