What to expect from FOS?

I've been trying to follow the updates with the FOS and the issues it's having. It sounds as if the last 2 sailings have had modified itineraries & the ship is not capable of moving at the desired speed. Am I understanding that accurately?

We sail on the 14th, on an Eastern itinerary. If there needs to be a modification to the itinerary, any guess on what would be altered?

What should I expect considering these circumstances?

Any preparations you would make knowing the ship is having some issues & it's just a few weeks before drydock? I'm a bit nervous. Thank you!

I've been trying to follow the updates with the FOS and the issues it's having. It sounds as if the last 2 sailings have had modified itineraries & the ship is not capable of moving at the desired speed. Am I understanding that accurately?

We sail on the 14th, on an Eastern itinerary. If there needs to be a modification to the itinerary, any guess on what would be altered?

What should I expect considering these circumstances?

Any preparations you would make knowing the ship is having some issues & it's just a few weeks before drydock? I'm a bit nervous. Thank you!

We're on the same sailing. There has been nothing issued yet to say how we will be effected. If I had to guess, due to the slower speeds we'll be going we might miss Coco cay. Totally a guess. Maybe we'll find out more when we hear how this coming sailing goes. It's the opposite route, but we'll see if their itinerary changes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're on the same sailing. There has been nothing issued yet to say how we will be effected. If I had to guess, due to the slower speeds we'll be going we might miss Coco cay. Totally a guess. Maybe we'll find out more when we hear how this coming sailing goes. It's the opposite route, but we'll see if their itinerary changes.

I thought I read that their itinerary already changed. The sailing that departed nov 23 was when all the issues happened, that was Eastern and it went to Cozumel and Bahamas. I believe those on the ship now received advance notice that they would have a modified itinerary. It's a western itinerary. I also read on their roll call that there were several hour waits to get on the ship on embarkation day :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I read that their itinerary already changed. The sailing that departed nov 23 was when all the issues happened, that was Eastern and it went to Cozumel and Bahamas. I believe those on the ship now received advance notice that they would have a modified itinerary. It's a western itinerary. I also read on their roll call that there were several hour waits to get on the ship on embarkation day :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where u are getting that info. Here is the chain with all the updated news.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2132648

We are sailing on the Western Itinerary this coming week so I will post back with any changes to our Itinerary.

Thanks, that will be great. We are on the western itinerary at the end of the month so I am anxious to learn of any changes.

Enjoy your cruise,

M

Based solely on information from these boards (in other words, just a WAG), at 17 knots/hr it would take FOS ~6.6 days to make the Eastern round trip (~2700 miles) providing the ship didn't stop anywhere, so unless they figure out how to get more speed out of the remaining pods, something's got to go on that route.

Based solely on information from these boards (in other words, just a WAG), at 17 knots/hr it would take FOS ~6.6 days to make the Eastern round trip (~2700 miles) providing the ship didn't stop anywhere, so unless they figure out how to get more speed out of the remaining pods, something's got to go on that route.

Orville99 -

So how does your calculation work out for the western route? Our original itinerary is

Coco Cay

Montego Bay

Cayman Island

Cozumel.

I know the itinerary seems a bit strange, but that is what is on all the materials. We usually have Ladadee with the Western side and Coco Cay with the Eastern side.

Thanks m

Orville99 -

So how does your calculation work out for the western route? Our original itinerary is

Coco Cay

Montego Bay

Cayman Island

Cozumel.

I know the itinerary seems a bit strange, but that is what is on all the materials. We usually have Ladadee with the Western side and Coco Cay with the Eastern side.

Thanks m

That's a tough one. The traditional western route is ~2,650 miles, so it would take almost the same amount of time at 17 knots, but the route they're doing now doesn't compute. If you drew a straight line from Coco Cay to Montego Bay, you'd pass directly over the middle of Cuba, so my guess is they will do a route similar to the old time routes of PC to Montego Bay and then backtrack to the Caymans and Cozumel. Doing the route that they sent you they would have to either pass by Labadee on the way to Jamaica, or do a full steam run from coco cay around the north side of cuba, past Cozumel and the caymans to get there. Doesn't seem doable at that speed

Edited by orville99

That's a tough one. The traditional western route is ~2,650 miles, so it would take almost the same amount of time at 17 knots, but the route they're doing now doesn't compute. If you drew a straight line from Coco Cay to Montego Bay, you'd pass directly over the middle of Cuba, so my guess is they will do a route similar to the old time routes of PC to Montego Bay and then backtrack to the Caymans and Cozumel. Doing the route that they sent you they would have to either pass by Labadee on the way to Jamaica, or do a full steam run from coco cay around the north side of cuba, past Cozumel and the caymans to get there. Doesn't seem doable at that speed

I just spoke to RCCL, they said they received an email this morning that issued the changes for the upcoming December 7 sailing. The arrival/departure times into the ports have been modified, but the itinerary remains the same. He said the Eastern itinerary could likely be changed to Western since the ship *can* accommodate a Western itinerary, but not the whole Eastern.

It will be interesting to see what happens as we are on a B2B starting this Sunday. It sounds like we may be doing essentially the same cruise two weeks in a row.

We have done both routes before so it doesn't really matter to us (though I did have some excursions planned), but I am sure that some will be very disappointed.

Edited by Mickeylee

I just spoke to RCCL, they said they received an email this morning that issued the changes for the upcoming December 7 sailing. The arrival/departure times into the ports have been modified, but the itinerary remains the same. He said the Eastern itinerary could likely be changed to Western since the ship *can* accommodate a Western itinerary, but not the whole Eastern.

So if they change to cruise from an eastern to a western, that is essentially cancelling your original cruise. Can they then force you to take a cruise you did not book. This would not just be a modification to your cruise, it would be a totally new cruise. If it were me I think I would be exploring the possibility of cancelling. Much like being in the mediterranian, If I booked and eastern med , I would not accept a revised itinerary to do a western med. JMO

It will be interesting to see what happens as we are on a B2B starting this Sunday. It sounds like we may be doing essentially the same cruise two weeks in a row.

We have done both routes before so it doesn't really matter to us (though I did have some excursions planned), but I am sure that some will be very disappointed.

Have you been notified of the changes that the RCCL agent told me about?

So if they change to cruise from an eastern to a western, that is essentially cancelling your original cruise. Can they then force you to take a cruise you did not book. This would not just be a modification to your cruise, it would be a totally new cruise. If it were me I think I would be exploring the possibility of cancelling. Much like being in the mediterranian, If I booked and eastern med , I would not accept a revised itinerary to do a western med. JMO

Will we be allowed to cancel? My hubby is devastated :(

Ports are certainly more important to some than others I guess :) I just want to be on the ship. I dont really care where it goes. Now keep in mind, a total itinerary change would be a little inconvenient and I would certainly hope for a little OBC or something to take away the sting but no way would I cancel or demanding for compensation.

The only way I would do the FOS would be the Eastern run. If I had it booked and they changed it, I would be sooooo upset. I can go to Cozumel on any ship!

I agree Karen. We are going to Cozumel in Feb and again in April on a 5 night and 4 night trip. When we go on a 7 night we like to do Eastern

That said, we are on the Eastern route 12/21 and I called a little while ago and so far no changes have been made. Or none that C and A are aware of;)

We will be on the Dec. 7th cruise also. I feel sorry for the people that have plans like wedding,meeting family, etc at the ports . The more you cruise you will find that situations happen ,weather,mechanical,sickness, political situations, etc and we try to make the best out of the situation. For instance we had a vessel go down several miles in front of us on the Splendor in 1999, and we had to remain on the seen retrieving people out of the water, and were hours late arriving in Aruba. Had port visit cancelled due to riots doing a election in the Caribbean. Had port visit cancelled in Caracas , as 4 were killed in the street shortly before we arrived. Have missed Caymans at least 4 times , and Coco several times also. Get the picture. Things happen. As long as the ships is fully functional, except for the lost of high end speed, We will be happy. Except for the long runs like from St. Martin to Canaveral you will find that most ships mosey along and make up more speed at night.

If you feel strong about the changes I don't blame anyone for canceling, and again that why most carry insurance , with the any reason provision, & the pre existing condition waver. The food,entertainment,weather,bars, and a ship full of happy cruiser, will still await you , and hopefully you will have a great time. Bob & Nancy, The Villages Florida

Not likely for us.

I would still think that they might offer some OBC for the change but probably not the FCC as well.

I was waiting for you to chuckle at my post:p I think if they offer something it will be for all regardless of price paid

Edited by molly361

As long as we would go to several ports, an itinerary change from Western to Eastern or Eastern to Western would not matter to us. There are specific things we like to do on either itinerary. For those that have only been to one side of the caribbean or the other, I can see how an itinerary change would be upsetting. Regardless, it would be nice if our RCCL give us a heads up.

M

What would happen if you had private shore excursions arranged for each port on Eastern and they switched your cruise to a Western? I realize that the cruise line has the right to make certain changes to your cruise, but to expect you to accept a completely different cruise from the one you booked and paid for is a stretch. The price of an Eastern itinerary is also more expensive that a Western itinerary, on the cruise dates I have been contemplating.

Edited by retird