OBC from Celebrity and TA

stickey_mouse

It seems that OBC can sometimes be a guessing game. For instance, we are traveling in 2 weeks as a group. I know we will get some OBC from our TA and some from Celebrity because of a promotion and the group tour operator's credit. I think I have a guesstimate of how much total OBC we will receive, but I'm not certain. Also, because some in our group booked at different times and during different OBC promotions, the total OBC amount could be different among our group's members.

My question is this: at what point does Celebrity "receive" or learn about the OBC provided by the TA? Would I be able to call Celebrity and get the total OBC amount from them?

I really wish the OBC amount appeared on your online Celebrity account prior to the cruise date, as that would make it possible to monitor it and correct any mistakes prior to the cruise date. I don't like having to trust that it will all be there, and I definitely would not like having to resolve any discrepancy while onboard the ship.

It seems that OBC can sometimes be a guessing game. For instance, we are traveling in 2 weeks as a group. I know we will get some OBC from our TA and some from Celebrity because of a promotion and the group tour operator's credit. I think I have a guesstimate of how much total OBC we will receive, but I'm not certain. Also, because some in our group booked at different times and during different OBC promotions, the total OBC amount could be different among our group's members.

My question is this: at what point does Celebrity "receive" or learn about the OBC provided by the TA? Would I be able to call Celebrity and get the total OBC amount from them?

I really wish the OBC amount appeared on your online Celebrity account prior to the cruise date, as that would make it possible to monitor it and correct any mistakes prior to the cruise date. I don't like having to trust that it will all be there, and I definitely would not like having to resolve any discrepancy while onboard the ship.

Why not just ask the travel agent?

I, too, am booked on an upcoming cruise in a group through my TA. Just got off the phone with Celebrity who said they were unable to tell me the total amount of OBC I have as the TA would have to tell me. It is fine as it is well documented on my invoice. I will just take a copy with me when I board. The only thing that is not on my invoice is the 10% OBC earned on a shore excursion booked during this current promotion. That is why I was on the phone to ensure that it would be included, which I was assured would be.

Why not just ask the travel agent?

I have, and they have been mostly helpful figuring it out from their end. But they do not provide a total amount, but stimple requote the various promotions in place when we made the deposit. I would love to somehow get a total amount, and I would probably rather hear it from Celebrity so I can be sure it will be there when we arrive.

I have, and they have been mostly helpful figuring it out from their end. But they do not provide a total amount, but stimple requote the various promotions in place when we made the deposit. I would love to somehow get a total amount, and I would probably rather hear it from Celebrity so I can be sure it will be there when we arrive.

Hi, chiming in here ....I have a wonderful TA and she always

gives me the exact amount of obc she is giving me. She also emails

me, what I would consider a receipt. I print it out and bring it with me.

As for Celebrity's credits, those show up on my booking confirmaton

and I bring that with me as well. There is absolutely no reason in the

world why you cannot receive the exact amounts (to the penney)

of any and all credits you are receiving before your cruise.

Sometimes it may take a couple of days before the credits show up

on the account but you can check on the tv and it will show all charges

and credits.

Your TA should be able to give you the exact amount of OBC they are providing to you since they must pay these funds to Celebrity before you cruise.

As for OBC from Celebrity ask your TA for the Celebrity Guest Copy, Booking Confirmation, this will show OBC, or others perks you are receiving from Celebrity.

As mentioned previously it normally takes about 2 days for the OBC to show on your onboard account.

When you book into a TA's group which gives you a lower cabin price. make sure that you are aware of Celebrity's policy. Most price drops, new promo's etc are dependent on 5* pricing. Which is X's "rack" rate. If you are already getting a discount (group pricing) you might not be eligible (or be able to combine stuff) for promo's. I have used my exceptional TA for many years and have avoided the group bookings for just this reason (advice from TA) as it disqualifies me from many bennies and price drops.

Celebrity does not know about OBC offered by TA's but they are fully aware of pricing. I sometimes get OBC or cash back from my TA but that is at his discretion and nothing to do with Celebrity.

Your travel agent has to enter all OBC's, amenities like 123 Go program and extra's the agents company may give. Since you are part of a group rate, they may not show the Group amenity as if the group drops below the minimum, an amenity can not be offered. Ask your travel agent for this information. It should be available on your agency invoice.

You booked through an agent thus your agent has to give you the proof.

Why does it sometimes take a couple of days for the OBC to appear on your onborad account?

We just got this email in responce to this same question we raised with our TA, btw, first time to use a TA in 10 yrs:eek:

"The amenities that you are set to receive will not show in their entirety until you are onboard. You would want to use the 'authorization' form you signed and returned at the time of booking as confirmation of the amenities that you are receiving."

Our bev pkg, grats, and $150 of the $850 OBC shows on our booking conformation. Friends have used this Co without any hitches, so we shall take the info as instructed and see.

EW

Why does it sometimes take a couple of days for the OBC to appear on your onborad account?

The TA's do not transfer the money to Celebrity until the very last minute. They want to hang on to their money as long as possible (I would too). Once the funds are paid to Celebrity that info has to be transmitted from Miami to the individual ships.

The TA's do not transfer the money to Celebrity until the very last minute. They want to hang on to their money as long as possible (I would too). Once the funds are paid to Celebrity that info has to be transmitted from Miami to the individual ships.

I thought about this more, too, and came up with this possible answer: any OBC offered by a TA (and not from Celebrity) likely comes out of the TA's commission. B/c a TA probably doesn't officially earn the commission until the cruise begins, the OBC cannot be paid until that time. Anyway, just a theory!

I thought about this more, too, and came up with this possible answer: any OBC offered by a TA (and not from Celebrity) likely comes out of the TA's commission. B/c a TA probably doesn't officially earn the commission until the cruise begins, the OBC cannot be paid until that time. Anyway, just a theory!

That is how I understand it as well.

17 cruises and the OBC from my agent always appears on the second day of the cruise whereas the Celebrity OBC shows up on the initial invoice.

bosco

TA OBC's are paid in cash by the TA (ie. via their company credit card). They are not "netted out" of their commissions.

I think the 2 day posting is related to the ship staff likely manually entering the OBC to accounts overnight. There is still a huge amount of manual processing the desk staff has to do, that we all assume is all automated these days.

They can't get all this work done on turnaround day, thus it takes a day or so the get accounts in order.

TA OBC's are paid in cash by the TA (ie. via their company credit card). They are not "netted out" of their commissions.

I think the 2 day posting is related to the ship staff likely manually entering the OBC to accounts overnight. There is still a huge amount of manual processing the desk staff has to do, that we all assume is all automated these days.

They can't get all this work done on turnaround day, thus it takes a day or so the get accounts in order.

Interesting. Perhaps you have experience. When is the commission actually paid to the TA? Is it before the TA sends the OBC or after? Just curious as it makes no difference to me and I have never had any issue receiving my TA promised OBC.

Thanks

Interesting. Perhaps you have experience. When is the commission actually paid to the TA? Is it before the TA sends the OBC or after? Just curious as it makes no difference to me and I have never had any issue receiving my TA promised OBC.

Thanks

From what I've gathered, TA's are paid commissions during the 1st week in the month following the last day of a cruise. Also TA's only get commission on the "net commissionable cruise fare (NCCF)", which is less than on the fare you pay, they take out the taxes, and other particular fees that are lumped into the cruise fare before setting the balance that is commissioned.

So a cruise that ends Jan 30, will be paid 1st week of Feb, a cruise that ends Feb 1, will be paid 1st week of March. So commissions are always paid after OBC is issued. Imagine the bookkeeping and reconcilliations that would need done ny X if they allowed TA's to "net" their commissions against perks granted by TA's. X has hard enough time keeping the simple things in order, with out having to administer TA issued programs and perks. This is why TA's actually pay out-of-pocket for the perks granted, making them a "business expense" to them.

A group I book with lets me book via my own travel agent and shares their commission with her, so I have 2 TA's involved.... Group TA gets their full commission from X, then writes my TA a check after they get their money, and they don't get the money till a month after cruises end.

From what I've gathered, TA's are paid commissions during the 1st week in the month following the last day of a cruise. Also TA's only get commission on the "net commissionable cruise fare (NCCF)", which is less than on the fare you pay, they take out the taxes, and other particular fees that are lumped into the cruise fare before setting the balance that is commissioned.

So a cruise that ends Jan 30, will be paid 1st week of Feb, a cruise that ends Feb 1, will be paid 1st week of March. So commissions are always paid after OBC is issued. Imagine the bookkeeping and reconcilliations that would need done ny X if they allowed TA's to "net" their commissions against perks granted by TA's. X has hard enough time keeping the simple things in order, with out having to administer TA issued programs and perks. This is why TA's actually pay out-of-pocket for the perks granted, making them a "business expense" to them.

A group I book with lets me book via my own travel agent and shares their commission with her, so I have 2 TA's involved.... Group TA gets their full commission from X, then writes my TA a check after they get their money, and they don't get the money till a month after cruises end.

This may be how it works for your TA, but is not how it works for all TA's and there are a bunch of factors involved, not the least of which is which cruise line you are dealing with.

For example, some cruise lines pay commissions approximately two weeks after final payment. That same cruise line may pay commissions AFTER the cruise is completed, if clients are in a group. The size of the agency, and the size of groups will also be factors.

And NCCF stands for "Non-Commissionable Cruise Fare" and is the part of the Cruise Fare that commission is NOT paid on. Taxes and Port Expenses are a separate allocation, and are not part of the Cruise Fare, as you will see on your invoices. Of course, commissions are not paid on taxes and fees.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Obviously we are discussing Celebrity cruises.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Obviously we are discussing Celebrity cruises.

Cle-guy's description of the process may be true for his TA, but it is not the case for all TA's, even if we are speaking about Celebrity. I was just making some allowance for the possibility that he had been given information about how other cruise lines operate. Or that the travel agency that he deals with is so large that different rules apply to them.

In the case of Celebrity: for the moderate sized online and brick-and-mortar agencies that I know about and have had contact with, the commission is paid to the Agency by Celebrity two weeks after final payment, so quite a while BEFORE the cruise sails, except for standard groups, when the commissions are paid to the agency AFTER the cruise sails. I don't know what happens with really large or charter groups, but I have a close friend who handles those, and I will try to find out.

I don't know about the terminology that Cle-guy's TA uses, but any TA I have ever been involved with refers to NCCF as "Non-Commissionable Cruise Fare" and it has always been the part of the Cruise Fare that commission is NOT paid on. Any time I have seen NCCF used by Celebrity, it has always meant "non-commissionable cruise fare" and commission was absolutely NOT paid on the NCCF portion of any invoice.

Taxes and Port Expenses are not part of the Cruise Fare in any agency that I have had experience with, so of course, commissions are not paid on taxes, fees and port expenses.

When Cle-guy says that commissions are ALWAYS paid after OBC is issued, that is just not the case. I am not saying that what he reports is not true for his agency, I'm just saying that it is not true for all agencies, and I thought people had a right to hear that.