Not allowed to cancel excursion based on itinerary change?!

Jessie2013

Sorry for my many FOS posts, but as our cruise grows nearer (tomorrow!), I become more frustrated. It's not supposed to be that way :(

As you know, FOS has had mechanical issues for weeks that effect the speed. There has not been a formal announcement, but through these boards I learned of an itinerary change for our sailing tomorrow. Most everyone else won't be informed until they get to the pier.

I had booked a private excursion through a reputable shore excursion site, one that books for all cruise lines and most islands. I verified that it was refundable due to missing the port or itinerary changes. We originally were to arrive in St Thomas at 1:00 and depart at 5. Now we arrive at 7 and depart at 7. We originally booked a 2 hour excursion that begins at 1:30. Now that we have all day on the island, I don't want a 2 hour excursion in the middle of the day. I want something longer or for this one to start earlier. I've been on the phone with the shore excursion people and they won't allow me to cancel- saying I'm still available for the excursion. I am, but it interrupts the whole day, and every other port is already messed up as a result of this itinerary change (and it being announced so late).

Is this standard that I shouldn't be able to cancel under these circumstances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for my many FOS posts, but as our cruise grows nearer (tomorrow!), I become more frustrated. It's not supposed to be that way :(

As you know, FOS has had mechanical issues for weeks that effect the speed. There has not been a formal announcement, but through these boards I learned of an itinerary change for our sailing tomorrow. Most everyone else won't be informed until they get to the pier.

I had booked a private excursion through a reputable shore excursion site, one that books for all cruise lines and most islands. I verified that it was refundable due to missing the port or itinerary changes. We originally were to arrive in St Thomas at 1:00 and depart at 5. Now we arrive at 7 and depart at 7. We originally booked a 2 hour excursion that begins at 1:30. Now that we have all day on the island, I don't want a 2 hour excursion in the middle of the day. I want something longer or for this one to start earlier. I've been on the phone with the shore excursion people and they won't allow me to cancel- saying I'm still available for the excursion. I am, but it interrupts the whole day, and every other port is already messed up as a result of this itinerary change (and it being announced so late).

That's a bummer but every private tour operator has its own policies. Most are great and give full refunds if the ship does not show or due to weather conditions but the ship is in port. I think that it's Royal that you should be upset with and not the tour operator.

You said you booked a "private" excursion.....it's up to you and the company if a change will be forthcoming. Had you booked thru the ship, their rules apply...and they most likely would have extended you the "benefit of the doubt", since you times were changed. Did your private company have that option?

Edited by cb at sea

Why not book one for morning?

We basically want to be driven around the island, do the route to the top to see the scenic stuff, maybe stop at a beach or two for a short time and then shopping. An overall island tour. Anything we would book would be a duplicate, although longer, version of what is already booked.

I want one in the morning, and then it can be over and we can have lunch on the island....or the inlaws can head back to the ship and we can take my son to the beach....but a 1:30 tour in the middle of the day is annoying now. I realize it wouldn't be to everyone- but it is to me. I have a kid who naps, I originally planned to do naps before 1:30 excursion and now that means we'd have to stay on the ship.

I did read all the fine print- which stated I could cancel in the event of an itinerary change. It is an itinerary change....although they feel since I'm still on the island at the time of the tour, it's not grounds to cancel. I'm just bummed- I'm spending $360 for a private tour of St Maarten for a fraction of the time now....and our day in St Thomas is segmented because of a tour in the middle of the day.....and no coco cay. And all of this is released just an hour ago officially (just got an email) and I've been on vacation handling it all....

It's a cruise, we'll have fun, My vacation isn't destroyed, but it's inconvenient and Would have been more preventable and less inconvenient if RCCL had communicated the changes earlier.

No, that is pretty standard if you do not book through the ship. They will usually refund your excursion if you miss the port or the itinerary changes so that there is no way to make the excursion. Your itinerary change allows a longer time at the port, not less. That is the chance you take when booking a non-ship excursion.

Call the credit card company you paid the booking with. they will tell you your real options.

This is a great thought but it won't fly. It's covered in the fine print...............

We basically want to be driven around the island, do the route to the top to see the scenic stuff, maybe stop at a beach or two for a short time and then shopping. An overall island tour. Anything we would book would be a duplicate, although longer, version of what is already booked.

I want one in the morning, and then it can be over and we can have lunch on the island....or the inlaws can head back to the ship and we can take my son to the beach....but a 1:30 tour in the middle of the day is annoying now. I realize it wouldn't be to everyone- but it is to me. I have a kid who naps, I originally planned to do naps before 1:30 excursion and now that means we'd have to stay on the ship.

I did read all the fine print- which stated I could cancel in the event of an itinerary change. It is an itinerary change....although they feel since I'm still on the island at the time of the tour, it's not grounds to cancel. I'm just bummed- I'm spending $360 for a private tour of St Maarten for a fraction of the time now....and our day in St Thomas is segmented because of a tour in the middle of the day.....and no coco cay. And all of this is released just an hour ago officially (just got an email) and I've been on vacation handling it all....

It's a cruise, we'll have fun, My vacation isn't destroyed, but it's inconvenient and Would have been more preventable and less inconvenient if RCCL had communicated the changes earlier.

The credit card issuer will not consider this an itinerary change any more than the tour company does. The ship will be in port during the time scheduled therefore there's no justification for cancelling. The fact that the length of the port visit now makes it inconvenient for the OP doesn't change that.

This is a great thought but it won't fly. It's covered in the fine print...............

The credit card issuer will not consider this an itinerary change any more than the tour company does. The ship will be in port during the time scheduled therefore there's no justification for cancelling. The fact that the length of the port visit now makes it inconvenient for the OP doesn't change that.

I suspect you are very much correct, however ultimately if the vendor won't allow a change sometimes the credit card company will accommodate their customer. It's at least a road to go down

I suspect you are very much correct, however ultimately if the vendor won't allow a change sometimes the credit card company will accommodate their customer. It's at least a road to go down

Worked that end of things for many years. Unless the OP's bank is willing to eat the cost themselves, she's out of luck. Reversing the charge with the information provided would violate their contract with MasterCard or Visa. Those are the two I worked. Others may be different but I doubt the difference would be eough to allow the transaction to be reversed.

Not likely worth the hassle, but you could always cancel the credit card now and use another one to pay for incidentals on the ship and other purposes. That way they will not be able to charge the card since it was cancelled prior to the date of the excursion taking place.

Happy or unhappy, people review and share their private excursion experiences on cruise critic. These reviews influence future cruisers. I think you should go to the port of call section for St Thomas and share your experience with others naming the excursion provider.

I see from another of your posts that the operator is Bernard's Tours. All I can say is that this sounds NOTHING like the Bernard that *I* know.

Very unusual. He is always SO very accommodating whenever I have used him, or any of my friends, or anyone on a Roll Call.

I have never heard any negative feedback.

Try again?

Tell him that "everyone" on Cruise Critic is shocked at this treatment!

He lives for good internet feedback. He KNOWS the value of Cruise Critic and its grapevine.

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

I see from another of your posts that the operator is Bernard's Tours. All I can say is that this sounds NOTHING like the Bernard that *I* know.

Very unusual. He is always SO very accommodating whenever I have used him, or any of my friends, or anyone on a Roll Call.

I have never heard any negative feedback.

Try again?

Tell him that "everyone" on Cruise Critic is shocked at this treatment!

He lives for good internet feedback. He KNOWS the value of Cruise Critic and its grapevine.

:)

She is referring to the stop in St. Thomas and Bernards is St. Martin, so I don't believe it is him.

Oh, drat. So much for my sleuthing skills. She DOES have Bernard booked in St. Maarten, but I missed her "St. Thomas" in the Original Post.

As Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind."

:o

I´m sorry but I don´t think you have a legit gripe with the tour Company. While it´s not your fault and I do unerstand your Frustration with the Situation, this isn´t the tour companies Problem either.

Yes your itinerary changed, but not in a way that prevents you from taking an excursion you were entirely happy with in the first place. In my experience private tour companies are usually very accomodating, but they are in the Business to make a living and they might have sent away other People as you had confirmed the tour with them.

With a cruise you Need to be prepared for itinerary changes for various reasons.

One thing you may have not considered is how FR has had to alter many itineraries lately due to medical issues as well as mechanical. All it takes is someone requiring a turn around on departure day, or a stop to drop off along the route headed east and the 7am arrive is gone if not the full day. Heck, you may skip St Thomas all together and all the aggravation will have been for naught.

This really doesn't fall under the definition for canceling for "itinerary change" as it doesn't cause the OP to arrive late, leave too early, or miss the tour completely. Although I, to, understand the frustration, it really is one of the risks you take when booking third party tours. Even on a ship tour you might not be able to move it if all the others were booked up. But on a ship tour you usually can cancel up to 24 hours prior.

Since the ship was originally scheduled in port from 1 pm to 5 pm, and now gets in at 7 am and leaves at 7 pm, if the OP planned a nap for their child prior to 1 pm, simply stay on the ship and have the child nap. Then after the tour the OP actually has 2 extra hours to enjoy St. Thomas.

I have never done a third party tour. We usually book with the ship or go on our own, or hire a tour as we leave the port. So I can't really comment on tour operators rules. But it seems to me that if an earlier tour were available, then I sure can't see why the tour operator won't allow a change. May be that there are no earlier times with room due to other ships in port.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by papaflamingo

I don't see this as an itinerary change. You're just staying longer at the exact port you were scheduled. I think you're SOL. Either eat the cost or take the tour. Your choice. Also, disputing this with your credit card company will likely get you nowhere as I believe the credit card company will side with the tour operator. Have a nice trip!