I think I may be done....

I've been an avid RCI cruiser for some number of years now, but I think I might be done.

I LOVE the ships. They never cease to amaze me with their size, design, and beauty. And I LOVE cruising. My favorite escape is the feeling I get when we pull away from port and see the land sink on the horizon.

But, I have struggled more and more with the overall product RCI is putting forward. They are catering to the mass market on a basic scale, which I guess is a good business model. But it leaves me feeling like I'm getting an inferior product.

Now, I'm not afraid to pay good money. And you'll never hear me complain about the cost for a suite as a single cruiser, drink prices or the charge for a specialty restaurant. But it seems that as those prices steadily climb, the product steadily declines.

Take my Allure cruise this past August. I was in a Crown Loft. These are without a doubt their signature high end accommodation. They have 22 ships with more in the way, which have tens of thousands of staterooms. Fleetwide, there are less than 70 crown lofts (if you count the brand new Quantum). These should be their crown jewel offering. And they should reflect that. Worn carpet, dinged up furniture, dusty fake plants....

Go to the bar and get a drink. I'm not sure if Island Oasis is a majority shareholder or RCI, or if it's the other way around, but I would KILL to be able to get an actual mixed drink instead of that corn syrupy garbage.

Go to the specialty restaurants and you're still getting relatively unimaginative food, with limited offerings and the cardinal sin of all mass market cruise lines- no fresh seafood anywhere.

I just feel like the whole product is taking on more and more of a "mass produced" homogenized feel. Maybe it's just not for me anymore.

Now people will say "Try Cunard" or "Try Sebring" etc... And while I have, I don't find their itineraries or often times even their ships to my liking as much as RCI. And frankly as a solo male cruiser, I find the crowd not really to my liking.

Maybe I'm just burned out because of the "sameness". Don't really know, just thought I'd share my thoughts. Feel free to fire away.

I'm sure the flame throwers will come out in full force...but I don't blame you.

Spending that kind of money on accommodations should get you more than that. I too would be annoyed if the suite looked worn! And the dining is unimaginative, especially in the MDR.

Have you tried Celebrity? That's a small notch up, I think, from RCCL. Or maybe you should give Azamara or Paul Gaugin a shot. (I agree, we looked into Crystal and Seabourn and I worry we'd be the only ones there under 80!) ;) I often think (if I had the money) I'd rather try a more upscale line in a smaller cabin than a mass market line in a $$$ suite. The overall experience, I imagine, would be more refined.

I've been an avid RCI cruiser for some number of years now, but I think I might be done.

I LOVE the ships. They never cease to amaze me with their size, design, and beauty. And I LOVE cruising. My favorite escape is the feeling I get when we pull away from port and see the land sink on the horizon.

But, I have struggled more and more with the overall product RCI is putting forward. They are catering to the mass market on a basic scale, which I guess is a good business model. But it leaves me feeling like I'm getting an inferior product.

Now, I'm not afraid to pay good money. And you'll never hear me complain about the cost for a suite as a single cruiser, drink prices or the charge for a specialty restaurant. But it seems that as those prices steadily climb, the product steadily declines.

Take my Allure cruise this past August. I was in a Crown Loft. These are without a doubt their signature high end accommodation. They have 22 ships with more in the way, which have tens of thousands of staterooms. Fleetwide, there are less than 70 crown lofts (if you count the brand new Quantum). These should be their crown jewel offering. And they should reflect that. Worn carpet, dinged up furniture, dusty fake plants....

Go to the bar and get a drink. I'm not sure if Island Oasis is a majority shareholder or RCI, or if it's the other way around, but I would KILL to be able to get an actual mixed drink instead of that corn syrupy garbage.

Go to the specialty restaurants and you're still getting relatively unimaginative food, with limited offerings and the cardinal sin of all mass market cruise lines- no fresh seafood anywhere.

I just feel like the whole product is taking on more and more of a "mass produced" homogenized feel. Maybe it's just not for me anymore.

Now people will say "Try Cunard" or "Try Sebring" etc... And while I have, I don't find their itineraries or often times even their ships to my liking as much as RCI. And frankly as a solo male cruiser, I find the crowd not really to my liking.

Maybe I'm just burned out because of the "sameness". Don't really know, just thought I'd share my thoughts. Feel free to fire away.

Picked up on your fresh fish dining with good cocktails (mixed to your liking) and wines, so automatically thought Hebridean. Although the rooms to not have USA glamour, they are clean and comfortable. The food is excellent (fresh) with discreet impeccable service. Could be a thought.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Have you tried Celebrity? That's a small notch up, I think, from RCCL. Or maybe you should give Azamara or Paul Gaugin a shot. (I agree, we looked into Crystal and Seabourn and I worry we'd be the only ones there under 80!) ;) I often think (if I had the money) I'd rather try a more upscale line in a smaller cabin than a mass market line in a $$$ suite. The overall experience, I imagine, would be more refined.

I have tried Celebrity and did enjoy it. I would like a few more specialty dining options. Some of the others are tempting, but don't fit my needs right now. My work makes it impractical to take much more than a week at a time, and many of those are twelve nights or more. And also, at the times I'm looking to cruise, I'm not finding Azamara or Gaugin doing itineraries that appeal to me.

It might be time to do some more land based vacations...

Picked up on your fresh fish dining with good cocktails (mixed to your liking) and wines, so automatically thought Hebridean. Although the rooms to not have USA glamour, they are clean and comfortable. The food is excellent (fresh) with discreet impeccable service. Could be a thought.

Not really familiar, will check them out. Thanks!

You're right. It may be time for you to go. I always have said, that when it gets to the point where I start to notice dusty plants and worn carpet...I am no longer enjoying the cruise experience. You may be at that point, and need a vacation...from vacation.

I am in agreement with you. For the first time in 5 years we do not have a cruise booked for next year. There are several factors, some clear ones that you articulated well. The product is declining and the price is increasing for it. But also because it may just be time for something new so my husband and I are considering a land vacation in Europe next fall. We will keep looking for some potential last minute deals on a cruise that might draw us in but for now I am taking a wait and see approach for next year. It is kind of nice to be an age now where we can do that.:rolleyes:

I'm just thinking....a suite booked every week, normally with two guests minimal per stateroom, 7 night cruises.....over a three year span will begin to show some wear towards the end of three years. Particularly, when many passengers don't care what damage they may cause during their stay. And Allure is due a drydocking.

I think when you've reached the point that you notice these things it's time for a break. Try some land vacations and another cruise line, then come back. It may feel more exciting after a break.

Sometimes, you just need to take a step back, and make a change! There are so many things to do, and places to go....cruising is but a teensy slice of HOW to do those things!

I agree that the overall product has been severely downgraded in the last several years....for those who have never cruised, they don't know the difference.

I say, try other forms of vacations, and check back in a couple years and see what's new on the cruise scene!

The core product has been reduced to an extent that I look for great deals and won't spend extra for lavish accommodations because outside of the room most of what I experience is designed for the lowest cost cruiser, not the highest cost cruiser. Therefore I get 95% of the experience for 30% of the price. As the overall product diminishes further I have less incentive to spend more for higher accommodations.

I'm starting to feel burn out on the sameness, but that's more to do with the entertainment. If I never hear the same canned 70's party soundtrack again it won't be too soon.

You had me at "Island Oasis!" Wow. Really hate that stuff. There was a time I was able to tip my way into the bartender making a real margarita without that sickenly sweet stuff but not the last cruise. I'm cruising again next week and thinking: maybe I'll drink less since the bar quality and service are getting worse and worse. 😕

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have tried Celebrity and did enjoy it. I would like a few more specialty dining options. Some of the others are tempting, but don't fit my needs right now. My work makes it impractical to take much more than a week at a time, and many of those are twelve nights or more. And also, at the times I'm looking to cruise, I'm not finding Azamara or Gaugin doing itineraries that appeal to me.

It might be time to do some more land based vacations...

Not really familiar, will check them out. Thanks!

Found this video for you on Hebridean cruises!!

I agree with you completely. RCI and all the other mass market lines have "Walmartized "their product. It no longer appeals to those of us who knew what cruising once was.

I do find the luxury cruises have much more to offer me. I have been cruising for almost 50 years and, yes, I have beccome jaded.

Switch it up for a bit. We did that after our Radiance cruise in 2008. We did a Princess followed by 3 Carnival cruises and 1 NCL. When we "returned" to RCI a few years later we felt like we were where we belonged. Sometimes a change is all you need.

I totally agree with you OP.

I'd add to it that the biggest turn off for me lately is the deceptive pricing practice/scam they have going now. The prices are higher than ever in most cases with the BOGOHO pricing. In fact that so called single person price is not a price they even even sold those cruises at. Booking a cruise has become a hassle and time consuming chore.

We have a few booked for the coming year, mainly to visit people we want to see on board, but nothing at all considered for 2016 - other than land trips. Maybe that will be the year to combine land with the river cruise we've wanted to try.

I'd say all of your observations are correct. The only time I was on Celebrity, they had dusty fake plants/flowers, too.

Edited by mommabean

I agree with what you said, and feel much the same way. When I first cruised, 1998, it was a fantastic experience! Theme nights every night in the MDR. Pool games, sailaway parties, fun in the bars, new ships, etc. But we paid dearly for it. My first cruise was on Grandeur when she was less than a year old. Best vacation EVER! But my inside cabin on a "deeply discounted" airline rate was $750. Today that equates to $1087. Now I can get on Oasis about the same time of year (late Sept) for $699 for an inside cabin. That's 36% cheaper based on todays dollars. So, my point is that something had to give. Oil is up over 700% from 1998, yet the cost to cruise is down. So, that explains it.

I hate seeing Royal Caribbean "dumb down" like it has. But like most of America, it is reflecting the casual and less "upscale" desires of the patronage.

I tried Celebrity last month. It is more "upscale." But it was also more boring for me. So I'm headed back to Royal. Plan to try Seabourn. Think I'll love the service and ships and food as I did Celebrity. But expect I'll still come back to Royal for the fun.

Did Carnival. Prefer Royal. Did NCL. Prefer Royal. Did Princess. Prefer Royal. So, as much as I agree, I still love cruising. And I'm grateful that prices are such that I can afford a couple a year. But I keep my expectations in line. So I overlook the small irritations, and enjoy the good.

But I do miss those earlier years when cruising truly was "special."

This is why we don't just take cruises for vacation. We typically do a cruise for a week or maybe two, but we do 2 or 3 land vacations too. We will, also, go camping... there is nothing like 3 days in a Kayak in the rain to make the regular balcony or a room at the Marriott seem wonderful again.

:cool:

jc

I sail mostly Celebrity and I've seen the quality of cruising fall off there too. I feel the same way. It's the first time in 13 years where I don't have a cruise booked. In the last five years, we've averaged four cruises and 42 days sea per year. Burn out may be some of it, but due to the cutbacks, it no linger feels "special" to us.

I totally agree with you OP.

Hi Gina! Hope all is good with you. Pleasure meeting you on Q :)

I'm starting to feel burn out on the sameness, but that's more to do with the entertainment. If I never hear the same canned 70's party soundtrack again it won't be too soon.

Then maybe you should try Q/Anthem. Absolutely and totally different than anything RCL has offered so far.

I tried Celebrity last month. It is more "upscale." But it was also more boring for me. So I'm headed back to Royal. Plan to try Seabourn. Think I'll love the service and ships and food as I did Celebrity. But expect I'll still come back to Royal for the fun. Did Carnival. Prefer Royal. Did NCL. Prefer Royal. Did Princess. Prefer Royal.

Step up to Celebrity especially their Solstice Class ships. We now sail Celebrity more than we sail on Royal Caribbean.

I'd love to hear how much Gina liked or hated various aspects of Q as she's the most experienced cruiser I personally know whom I spoke to on board... this thread started out as "dumbing down" of the cruising experience and transformed into "I'm bored with the same old same old"... RCl addresses this with Q, an upper scale model of Radiance morphed with Solstice in my view, with the best entertainment ever on any of my sailings and excellent activites on board. Yet Q is getting called out by many in a negative way with too many changes and all the "I want my MDR back!","Long lines everywhere","Poor service" threads.

I would suggest to LMaxwell, papaflamingo and others that if you're bored and want something new... but still "come back to" Royal as you like Royal the best after straying to other lines, you have to try Quantum Class to see for yourself. I personally loved it... and I'll probably love my old standard smallest-ship-in-the-fleet "broning" same-old same-old cruise on Legend in March also :D

Hi Gina! Hope all is good with you. Pleasure meeting you on Q :)

Then maybe you should try Q/Anthem. Absolutely and totally different than anything RCL has offered so far.

I'd love to hear how much Gina liked or hated various aspects of Q as she's the most experienced cruiser I personally know whom I spoke to on board... this thread started out as "dumbing down" of the cruising experience and transformed into "I'm bored with the same old same old"... RCl addresses this with Q, an upper scale model of Radiance morphed with Solstice in my view, with the best entertainment ever on any of my sailings and excellent activites on board. Yet Q is getting called out by many in a negative way with too many changes and all the "I want my MDR back!","Long lines everywhere","Poor service" threads.

I would suggest to LMaxwell, papaflamingo and others that if you're bored and want something new... but still "come back to" Royal as you like Royal the best after straying to other lines, you have to try Quantum Class to see for yourself. I personally loved it... and I'll probably love my old standard smallest-ship-in-the-fleet "broning" same-old same-old cruise on Legend in March also :D

HI! It was great meeting you, too.

How much did we like Quantum? We LOVED it. Anthem is the only thing extra we have booked in the coming year. We had already canceled 2 next year's cruises previously this year. We came home from Quantum, canceled the other 2 cruises that went with the 2 canceled cruises (had already planned to cancel them at the last minute but decided to dump them and get it over with) and booked an Anthem cruise.

What did I absolutely hate about Quantum? The Philly Cheese Steak sandwich I ordered for lunch in American Icon, the only time I ate there.

I hated my spa junior suite at first but adjusted to it. It's pointless to have the 2 partial baths separate. There is no counter space to speak of in either. But I don't live there so I adapted for that short time. The spa junior suite is smaller than every other junior suite on RCI's ships. Square footage it may not be smaller than Vision class, I haven't checked closely, but it feels smaller with the lack of seating space.

I hated the lines I had to stand in at guest services and to change a reservation the first 2 days. Then I spoke to someone who explained the entire concept to me and I began exploring the Royal IQ app. That changes everything. Seriously. First I didn't need to stand in the first day rush of guest services which was gone for most of the cruise. My business could have easily waited. Second, I could have canceled my two dinners I wanted to change and rescheduled them myself on my app or on an iPad. It's a lot easier than people realize. It would have saved that hour wait in line to have them do it.

I thought Two70 was so fabulous that I never even thought about the lack of a Viking Crown Lounge. Two70 beats VCL by far. Two70 Cafe is even better than Park Cafe. Vintages is the most beautiful yet and so easily accessible and open. I'm surprised more people don't sit there and enjoy their wine or another drink (with their 3 preloaded drinks for D and above) which is available right at that bar.

The solarium is the best yet. It's nice that there is another indoor pool separate from the solarium along with an outdoor pool and the shallow wave pool to keep kids occupied - when it's warm and kids are on board which I didn't see a whole lot of around the ship.

The crew was fabulous. We became reacquainted with many from ships we've been on over the years. The only slow seating night was night one in Chops because of the BOGO offer I would assume. Also, The Grand would have been a mob scene on night two but that's one we switched when we found out that everyone is treating that night like the traditional formal night, as we had done.

Oh wait....I better quit. I don't want to hijack this thread since it's not a Quantum thread. But you get the picture.

After our Anthem cruise, we won't book anymore of that class unless we find a nice deal at a convenient time. We only have 1 cruise booked at the end of 2014 because we got a good deal at a military rate.

I won't play their BOGOHO game.

I did book a short cruise for February with no C&A benefit as in no balcony discount. The Vow to Wow sail for everyone was a better deal. So much for loyalty.

RCI is also causing me grief over other loyalty milestone benefits right now, further diminishing my feeling for booking anything further with them.

There is more that they are doing as far as policies which I think are wrong and not treating people fairly which I won't even get into here. There are just too many negatives right now.

But Quantum is a big positive. We've been doing dynamic dining on our own for a couple of years. We've been on Oasis and Allure a total of 4 times in the last two years and have only eaten in the MDR once. So DD is a non-issue for us. The food was fine, better in some restaurants than others, but all good. Wonderland and Chef's Table were great. Jamie's is NOT Italian food but is still mostly fine.

Edited by mommabean

This is why we don't just take cruises for vacation. We typically do a cruise for a week or maybe two, but we do 2 or 3 land vacations too. We will, also, go camping... there is nothing like 3 days in a Kayak in the rain to make the regular balcony or a room at the Marriott seem wonderful again.

:cool:

jc

And we say there is nothing like a balcony room on a ship to make a regular room at the Marriott seem wonderful. That's why we don't book regular balcony rooms on ships. :)

We do spend at least as much vacations doing land time as we do on ships, maybe more. The balance in the coming year is definitely in favor of land time with plans in place. And with land time, we can cancel up until the day or or occasionally a few days before are required for cancelation with no charge. I find land time to be much more flexible with no pressure for a return time each night during the vacation.

If I felt like some of you do, Royal Caribbean would not get another red cent of my money. I dont care who is on board I want to see or what new ship they have.

Vote with your wallet. Its the only thing that MIGHT bring about change. Yeah, Im sure they have employees read the complaining here but I bet its taken with a grain of salt. CC is probably less than 1% of their customer base.

Its been almost 3 years since Ive been on a ship. Im real curious to see if things have really fell as far down as some of you are saying they have in the last couple years. No doubt it isnt like the "good ol days" of cruising but those days were way before my cruising time. I know not what they were like.

Edited by ryano