Can I sail on Norwegian and NOT go freestyle?

loveandcruises

Just curious ... I've been on 30 cruises, but gave up on Norwegian years ago when they started the Freestyle thing. However, family schedules and expensive airfares are preventing us from sailing out of any other than our own homeport of NYC in February -- which leaves us with RCCL's Quantum of the Seas (ka-ching!) or the Norwegian Breakaway. I never liked the idea of Freestyle -- we are traditionalists and enjoy having a set dining time with the same wait staff every night. Can we still get that on Norwegian, or is there absolutely no way? Would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

... I've been on 30 cruises, but gave up on Norwegian years ago when they started the Freestyle thing..... I never liked the idea of Freestyle -- we are traditionalists and enjoy having a set dining time with the same wait staff every night. .

You have already answered your own question. NCL is not for you.

Sorry, I also agree, NCL is NOT for you. You already have made it clear, you do NOT want this type of cruising and are clear in what you do want, so why would you even consider this significant compromise?? You are not going to happy, I suggest you spend your money on a flight, and go on a cheaper cruise- out of Florida perhaps.

Just curious ... I've been on 30 cruises, but gave up on Norwegian years ago when they started the Freestyle thing. However, family schedules and expensive airfares are preventing us from sailing out of any other than our own homeport of NYC in February -- which leaves us with RCCL's Quantum of the Seas (ka-ching!) or the Norwegian Breakaway. I never liked the idea of Freestyle -- we are traditionalists and enjoy having a set dining time with the same wait staff every night. Can we still get that on Norwegian, or is there absolutely no way? Would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

You are free to eat whenever you want, that is the beauty of freestyle. If you chose to have a set specific time to eat each night then you are absolutely 100% free to do so. As far as getting a specific person to serve you every night, it would just be a matter of asking your server the first night what his name is and what hours he will be working all week. Then when you make your reservations for each night of the cruise let them know you want to be seated in his section. It would be the same as requesting a specific server when you go out to eat at home. :)

Edited by EyeSeaEwe

I believe you can get a standing reservation every night. A bunch of

Cruise friends did thr Epic Transatlantic in October. They did that and

Liked it a lot. I would call NCL and find out. But one thing about NCL,

If you like to sit with strangers, that may be an issue. NCL seems to

Not put people with others.

Edited by JPEvans

From what I have read, you can set a reservation at a specific time, but you will probably NOT get the same waiter. They move from one dining room to another, nor will you have the same table mates, unless you already have a group of friends you eat with every night.

They do not have a fixed-dining option.

You can sort of fake it by showing up at the same time but getting the same waiter isn't likely.

If traditional dining is a big deal for you, NCL isn't a good fit. It's a deal-breaker for my In-Laws and they don't sail NCL.

As others have said you could reserve a table for your group or the two of you (doesn't say how many in your group) at the same restaurant and time to try and get allocated the same table and serving staff.

But why restrict yourself to one restaurant.

Breakaway doesn't have nightly theatre shows either which traditionalists moan about they like to be told eat, watch show, go to bed. Or watch show, eat, go to bed :D .

OK - I am not slamming the door shut on NCL FreeStyle - - - "BUT" ---

The OP could dress to the nines with tux and cumberbum if he wants and as

regards same dining times well just set it up to go to one of the specialty

restaurants every night at the same time. Also would be possible if arranged

in advance thru the Maitre' D of the MDR to have service and setting at the

same time and table every night.

Those tables adjacent and in the vicinity would of course not have to match

the personal tastes of the OP. Normally one of the MDRs on those ships that

have two - one is more formal and reserved and the FreeStyle dress code

would still apply but not be warped too far out of control of the casual side.

The destination also make a great deal of difference in Style of FreeStyle.

Trips to Alaska - one could wear a lumberjacks long sleeve plaid shirt and

jeans and that would be formal enough. Trips to Bermuda why of course the

island wear "Bermuda Shorts" would fit the bill. In the tropics Caribbean the

idea of being formally dressed is sort of overkill. In the Baltics and some trips

in and around the Mediterranean the 'James Bond' look would fit although

NCL is not noted for that height of formal dress - one should look at RCCL -

Cunard - Princess - Holland America and Celebrity for that.

After that the dress code goes south on NCL and Carnival* Carnival does have

some optional formal nights.

For the most part the crowds go cruising to escape the rigors of a regimen of

the dress coded society - NCL leaves it up to the individual for just how far

that individual wants to pursue that without specifying the limits !

"THE EMPERORs NEW FORMAL WARDROBE HOWEVER IS NOT ACCEPTABLE ON ANY CRUISE LINE" !***

*** Could be if "Playboy" launches a ship and not a private yacht ! LOL !

As others have said you could reserve a table for your group or the two of you (doesn't say how many in your group) at the same restaurant and time to try and get allocated the same table and serving staff.

But why restrict yourself to one restaurant.

Breakaway doesn't have nightly theatre shows either which traditionalists moan about they like to be told eat, watch show, go to bed. Or watch show, eat, go to bed :D .

No nightly theatre shows? What do they have instead?

After reading these replies, the few that have not liked "freestyle" sound like they prefer a more "regimented style" of dining. Not speaking from experience, but it sounds like prison ! You !....... sit down here now.........Hey You ! ........ eat this ........ Yes You ! ........ Hurry up there's more waiting to sit there !

I know that's not the way it's done, just being sarcastic, but if you don't like Freestyle then why did you cruise with NCL in the first place ?

Just curious !

cheers...the Ump...:D

You can, but it ins't easy. You have to decide exactly what time you want to eat and let the MDR know, then request the wait person. I understand your being a traditioanlist, but most lines have gone to some form of open seating and it is more popular than the old way. I don't know how many years ago you sailed NCL, the freestyle has improved since the beginning. On the other hand NCL may not be right for you if you want the formality as well.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Just curious ... we are traditionalists and enjoy having a set dining time with the same wait staff every night. Can we still get that on Norwegian, or is there absolutely no way? Would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

I was on the Getaway recently and I remember seeing something like that offered. It was for seatings between 5:30 and maybe 7 only.

I will look on the weekend when we are on the Jewel and see if that is offered. It was billed as seating for people who want a regular dining time and regular wait staff.

I cannot imagine a land based restaurant being successful that used the business model that traditional cruise ship use- we have two seatings to choose from and when you get here you will be put at a table with a bunch of strangers. I didn't mind it that much when we sailed CCL so it's not a deal breaker but we definitely prefer Freestyle since it's more like what we are used to when we go to a restaurant.

After reading these replies, the few that have not liked "freestyle" sound like they prefer a more "regimented style" of dining. Not speaking from experience, but it sounds like prison ! You !....... sit down here now.........Hey You ! ........ eat this ........ Yes You ! ........ Hurry up there's more waiting to sit there !

I know that's not the way it's done, just being sarcastic, but if you don't like Freestyle then why did you cruise with NCL in the first place ?

Just curious !

cheers...the Ump...:D

LOL!! Sounds like you remember the ad's NCL ran some years ago when they advertised freestyle dining....

NCL MDRs are now accepting reservations. It seems feasible that you could reserve the same time, in the same MDR, (there are 3 main dining rooms on the Breakaway), for every night of your cruise.

A conversation with the Maitre'd on the first night should guarantee the same table and waitstaff for every night.

As far as dress, you could establish and follow your own dress code, without regard to what others are wearing, and produce your desired dining effect.

Why not?

Harvey

PS A few years ago, on the Oasis of the Seas, on a back to back, we did my time dining. But every night, at the Maitre'd stand, we requested the same waiter, and were granted our wish, albeit sometimes a short wait. It can be done.

I never understood why some on these boards have to stoop to insulting someone asking a question they may not know the answer to. The OP asked a question with not a single negative thing about other than what he/she liked and if it could be accomplished on NCL.

If you don't know the answer there's no need to reply and if you know the answer please state it clearly, other wise SHUT UP!

I never understood why some on these boards have to stoop to insulting someone asking a question they may not know the answer to. The OP asked a question with not a single negative thing about other than what he/she liked and if it could be accomplished on NCL.

If you don't know the answer there's no need to reply and if you know the answer please state it clearly, other wise SHUT UP!

OK -- I will SHUT UP since you asked so politely !!!!