Pool Deck loungers - how long can I hold?

Bery

Again and again as I read cruise reviews, I read of the frustration of cruisers who see unoccupied loungers in prime locations usually empty for hours. Apparently, cruise staff do nothing about this. What would be wrong if someone looking for a lounger removed the abandoned property after a reasonable time -20 minutes?- 1/2 hour? Actually, no one is paying extra for their often daylong reserved lounger? Would those on this board agree that this is a reasonable solution?

Likely you'll get a plethora of answers from people on these boards and rarely does anybody admit to being a chair hog.

Personally, I think 20 to 30 minutes is OK.

What I hate most are the people who take a whole line-up of chairs right in front of the pool at 7 in the morning, each with one shoe, or an old paperback and then leave them empty till late morning when they decide to make an appearance.

I love it when the staff start removing stuff.

Again and again as I read cruise reviews, I read of the frustration of cruisers who see unoccupied loungers in prime locations usually empty for hours. Apparently, cruise staff do nothing about this. What would be wrong if someone looking for a lounger removed the abandoned property after a reasonable time -20 minutes?- 1/2 hour? Actually, no one is paying extra for their often daylong reserved lounger? Would those on this board agree that this is a reasonable solution?

the general rule is after 30 minutes of no one there, find a pool butler and have them remove the articles to the lost and found.

Celebrity does not offer a pay for seating option at its pools as some other lines do.

I don't blame the pool staff for doing nothing, they can't have eyes and a stop watch on all those pool chairs all day long, we have to be proactive and call issues to their attention to ensure best results.

I don't recommend that you, the passenger, remove someone else's belongings. Call a pool butler and have him do it, they will also leave a card explaining the policy regarding loungers. Most people, once they read the card, understand what's going on. Better to have a Celebrity employee do it than to do it yourself.

There are 2 sides to this. I am in total agreement that the chair hogs should have their stuff removed, but NOT by another passenger. Find a pool butler and have them do it. Celebrity state that loungers left unattended for 30 mins or more will have items removed and that these can then be recovered from Guest Relations. I was absolutely furious on our very first cruise when we literally went to get a drink and returned 20 mins (max) later to discover not only that someone was using our chairs but that there was no sign of my reading glasses and book, or my husbands cap and book or our towels. The pool butler knew nothing about it, we checked with Guest Relations - nothing there. We asked the people on 'our' loungers about our stuff - they denied all knowledge, maintained the seats were empty and nothing on them. We searched the entire deck - people must have thought we had lost the plot but I was livid on 2 fronts - we were gone less that the allowed (as stated in the guidelines) 30 mins, + someone had removed and done goodness knows what with our things. We kept going back to GR throughout the day to see if they had been handed in. I needed my glasses to be able to read menus etc apart from anything else. Eventually, we had one last look around before going in to dinner and lo and behold our things were stuffed down behind a lounger. Now they were not there earlier because as I say we went over that deck with a fine tooth comb. I'm guessing that people saw 2 loungers and just hid our stuff and then denied all knowledge. If ever we are looking for loungers and there are vacant ones with towels left on them, we always ask people around if they know how long people have been gone. Wouldn't dream of removing other peoples belongings no matter how long they had been gone. Just towels - different matter. As I say - DON'T remove other people's stuff, get the pool butler to do it. It is part of their job to make sure people don't hog chairs. Let them get the flack!

I would take the easy way. Ask a neighbor if anyone has been there in the last half hour. If not, remove the article and place it under, or next to, the lounger. If anyone comes back in the next half hour, giving them an hour away, the lounger is theirs, and I would relinquish it. If they are later, it's mine.

I don't recommend that you, the passenger, remove someone else's belongings. Call a pool butler and have him do it, they will also leave a card explaining the policy regarding loungers. Most people, once they read the card, understand what's going on. Better to have a Celebrity employee do it than to do it yourself.

I totally agree that you should not touch someone else's stuff. If it's been more than 30 minutes, alert a pool butler and request action. That is one of their responsibilities.

Yeah, the pool chair hogs make me furious. I have seen people place their items on a pool chair at 7am in the morning, go off shore even getting back in the afternoon and expect their belongings to be still there so they can get a good spot around the pool. This has to stop and bad luck if you tend to do this you deserve to have your personal effects place in the property bin. The only thing I wouldn't do is touch any persons belongings myself, just call a pool attendant to do it. Shame on you pool hogs.

Cheers Bob.

On our recent cruise we didn't have a lot of trouble with people hogging loungers. I was really kind of surprised as I'd experienced this a lot on a previous cruise (on another line).

The pool butlers seemed to make the rounds pretty frequently and it appeared that if a lounger was unattended for some length of time he'd collect the stuff on it. It was mostly discarded towels because it seemed like there weren't a whole lot of people holding chairs with items, possibly because it always felt like you'd be able to find a chair when you wanted one.

I was pleasantly surprised!

On the Eclipse Dec 2014, in Solarium, there were notices on each recliner stating that if you left it unattended, your items would be removed after 30 minutes. We did see that enforced. It is about time they did that.

I totally agree that you should not touch someone else's stuff. If it's been more than 30 minutes, alert a pool butler and request action. That is one of their responsibilities.

We don't touch other people's stuff either. We don't consider towels, library books or fliers to be other people's stuff. That we will move.

^^ You don't consider books someone's stuff? I completely agree with you on towels though!

We do consider books to be people's stuff, although we are both Kindle readers. Some of the books just look like they're from the library, if you know what I mean. I don't think we actually moved any books, but we did move towels, filers, dailies, etc.

Absolutely call the ship's staff to remove the offender's belongings. BUT do not touch the belongings of those chair hogs. If you do you can open yourself up to accusations that you stole something. Then it's your word against the other person's. If you hate waiting for a lounger, you will really hate waiting to be interviewed by ship's security and then getting interviewed. :(

Absolutely call the ship's staff to remove the offender's belongings. BUT do not touch the belongings of those chair hogs. If you do you can open yourself up to accusations that you stole something. Then it's your word against the other person's. If you hate waiting for a lounger, you will really hate waiting to be interviewed by ship's security and then getting interviewed. :(

We've never had a problem, but then we've never seen anybody come back.

We watched a pool butler remove items from 6 loungers. We claimed 2 of them. About 2 hrs later a group of 6 ladies claimed that we had removed their items. We told them that the pool butlers had their belongings.

They proceeded to be extremely rude.

Eventually we took our thing away, as it was lunch time. One of the ladies almost fell over herself in haste to claim the loungers. Her friend, in a very loud voice said ' I wouldn't sit there, you will get their germs.'

She continued in this vein, when she got on a tour bus that we were already on.

In a loud voice she told the rest of the bus, ' that's the man who took my seat by the pool.'

How ignorant she showed herself to be.

What really amazes me is that there are so many inconsiderate people. I was on another cruise line in the Caribbean. It was beautiful weather every day, and every day I tried to get my lunch at the buffet and sit out by the pool to eat. I never once was able to because the same people "parked" themselves at the poolside tables early in the morning and never left. They lounged there, ate there, played cards there, and napped there. It was clearly their "spot". That was my last cruise on that line. I've never encountered anything that bad on a Celebrity cruise.

I give the absentee person 45 min. then I just move in & move their stuff. Tough luck, but someone has to be the first to make a move & I guess it will be me! Never had a problem, ever!

There are 2 sides to this. I am in total agreement that the chair hogs should have their stuff removed, but NOT by another passenger. Find a pool butler and have them do it. Celebrity state that loungers left unattended for 30 mins or more will have items removed and that these can then be recovered from Guest Relations. I was absolutely furious on our very first cruise when we literally went to get a drink and returned 20 mins (max) later to discover not only that someone was using our chairs but that there was no sign of my reading glasses and book, or my husbands cap and book or our towels. The pool butler knew nothing about it, we checked with Guest Relations - nothing there. We asked the people on 'our' loungers about our stuff - they denied all knowledge, maintained the seats were empty and nothing on them. We searched the entire deck - people must have thought we had lost the plot but I was livid on 2 fronts - we were gone less that the allowed (as stated in the guidelines) 30 mins, + someone had removed and done goodness knows what with our things. We kept going back to GR throughout the day to see if they had been handed in. I needed my glasses to be able to read menus etc apart from anything else. Eventually, we had one last look around before going in to dinner and lo and behold our things were stuffed down behind a lounger. Now they were not there earlier because as I say we went over that deck with a fine tooth comb. I'm guessing that people saw 2 loungers and just hid our stuff and then denied all knowledge. If ever we are looking for loungers and there are vacant ones with towels left on them, we always ask people around if they know how long people have been gone. Wouldn't dream of removing other peoples belongings no matter how long they had been gone. Just towels - different matter. As I say - DON'T remove other people's stuff, get the pool butler to do it. It is part of their job to make sure people don't hog chairs. Let them get the flack!

Sorry, but I've seen plenty of pax who claim they were gone "20min." When it was over 45. Yes, I WILL move pax items but, will be keeping watch over them, until the person returns.

What really amazes me is that there are so many inconsiderate people. I was on another cruise line in the Caribbean. It was beautiful weather every day, and every day I tried to get my lunch at the buffet and sit out by the pool to eat. I never once was able to because the same people "parked" themselves at the poolside tables early in the morning and never left. They lounged there, ate there, played cards there, and napped there. It was clearly their "spot". That was my last cruise on that line. I've never encountered anything that bad on a Celebrity cruise.

In the back of the buffet there are outdoor tables for you to eat, please don't drag food into the pool area. the trail that some of you leave is not really nice.

What a ridiculous post....this has NOTHING to do with chair hogs who claim a chair and leave for hours....if some people get a table and chairs by the pool and proceed to sit there all day as they read, relax or frankly whatever they care to do that is perfectly fine...in fact that's EXACTLY what those tables and chairs near the pools are designed for...:rolleyes: