Pool Deck loungers - how long can I hold?

Bery

I can't take too much sun but occasionally I like to sit on deck for an hour or so and look for a chair in the shade.

On one cruise I took, day after day I found that all the chairs in the shade were taken.....not occupied.....but saved with a shirt, hat, flipflops, etc. Where were these people? I learned that they were sitting in the sun by the pool! Some people got up early and saved chairs both in the sun AND the shade and shuttled back and forth. In my mind this is so far beyond rude and inconsiderate that my vocabulary can't describe it.

If your butt's in it, it's your chair. If you have to go somewhere and you know you're going to be gone for a while, take your stuff and give some other cruiser a break. That person also paid good money for their vacation and would like a little time by the pool, too.

What really amazes me is that there are so many inconsiderate people. I was on another cruise line in the Caribbean. It was beautiful weather every day, and every day I tried to get my lunch at the buffet and sit out by the pool to eat. I never once was able to because the same people "parked" themselves at the poolside tables early in the morning and never left. They lounged there, ate there, played cards there, and napped there. It was clearly their "spot". That was my last cruise on that line. I've never encountered anything that bad on a Celebrity cruise.

There are tables in the Aquaspa restaurant area and also aft, beyond the cafeteria. Sometimes pax park themselves there for the day and play cards, read, whatever. Then when others look for a table while carrying their food, none are to be found. I once complained to a waiter, who merely shrugged.

I can't take too much sun but occasionally I like to sit on deck for an hour or so and look for a chair in the shade.

On one cruise I took, day after day I found that all the chairs in the shade were taken.....not occupied.....but saved with a shirt, hat, flipflops, etc. Where were these people? I learned that they were sitting in the sun by the pool! Some people got up early and saved chairs both in the sun AND the shade and shuttled back and forth. In my mind this is so far beyond rude and inconsiderate that my vocabulary can't describe it.

If your butt's in it, it's your chair. If you have to go somewhere and you know you're going to be gone for a while, take your stuff and give some other cruiser a break. That person also paid good money for their vacation and would like a little time by the pool, too.

That happened on my last Celebrity cruise. A family of 6 had chairs in the sun as well as chairs in the shade....really rude!

2 cruises on Celebrity Summit and a 3rd booked for 2015. The deck chair issue remains my only real beef.

Pool "butlers" are oblivious. I have complained over and over, and they do nothing. Their main focus is the Thalotherapy (sp?) area. Gotta make sure no children go in there. If they would put half of that effort toward chair hogs in the main pool area, the chair "reserving" issues would go away.

I have already drafted a note for the Hotel Director that I will present to guest services next cruise. I am 100% certain that the chair issues will remain, but at least I will air my frustration with senior management. :mad:

A easy way all us cruisers can help out is by removing our own towels when we leave. I like the idea of a pool butler taking care of cleaning up my space after me, but that means my chair would be left unoccupied for 30 minutes before the butler would clean up the towels and open the chair up for others. To leave the pool area, one must walk by a towel stand. I grabbed my towels and discarded them when I was leaving the pool, immediately signaling to others looking for loungers that the one I was using is now available.

Sorry, but I've seen plenty of pax who claim they were gone "20min." When it was over 45. Yes, I WILL move pax items but, will be keeping watch over them, until the person returns.

We hate and detest chair hogs, so can assure you that we went to get a drink - 20 mins absolute MAX (and that is overestimating how long it took) as the bar wasn't even busy. But I guess you just don't want to believe me - it wasn't you that moved them was it!?? It wasn't just that our things were moved, it was that they were hidden. And as others have said, if you touch other peoples stuff then you are laying yourself open to all sorts of accusations, even if you do keep watch over them. Leave it to the Pool Butlers.

A easy way all us cruisers can help out is by removing our own towels when we leave. I like the idea of a pool butler taking care of cleaning up my space after me, but that means my chair would be left unoccupied for 30 minutes before the butler would clean up the towels and open the chair up for others. To leave the pool area, one must walk by a towel stand. I grabbed my towels and discarded them when I was leaving the pool, immediately signaling to others looking for loungers that the one I was using is now available.

I strongly agree with this advice. We always remove our own towels when leaving. Among other things, this immediately frees up the chairs for others, and no one has to guess about whether we are coming back. Frankly, I don't understand why so many people fail to do this very small but very helpful thing.

We hate and detest chair hogs, so can assure you that we went to get a drink - 20 mins absolute MAX (and that is overestimating how long it took) as the bar wasn't even busy. But I guess you just don't want to believe me - it wasn't you that moved them was it!?? It wasn't just that our things were moved, it was that they were hidden. And as others have said, if you touch other peoples stuff then you are laying yourself open to all sorts of accusations, even if you do keep watch over them. Leave it to the Pool Butlers.
Maybe best, if you plan on leaving for a few minutes (no longer than 30), to let the pool butler know so that they can keep an eye on your stuff/chairs.

Curious to know the group's thoughts on someone saving a chair for their other half.

I can sit in the sun for HOURS, while my boyfriend will get bored/sunburned if he is outside for more than 45-60 minutes at a time. We went down to the pool early and after about an hour, he went to work out. He came back a couple hours later after eating/showering etc. and resumed his spot next to me.

I held that chair for him the whole time. Should I have offered it up to someone on the contingent basis that they would have to leave when BF gets back?

I honestly think that chair hogs make people that normally wouldn't be chair hogs turn into them.

I noticed that on sea day 1, all the pool side chairs weren't "claimed" until around 11am, sea day 2 the time was 10 am and on sea day 3 it was 8:30. I said "claimed" because the chairs were not occupied by bodies, but rather by towels/books. I felt fortunate I was able to find a chair to sit in, even though the chairs were only 10% full with actual people. I ended up "chair hogging" my spot because my thought process was "if everyone else is doing it".

Which is bad...I know.

Edited by jszpira

Out of over 30 responses to this thread, only 2-3 responses seem to justify long term reserving loungers. I am wondering if those who actually believe it is okay to go to breakfast, or the gym, bar, on shore, etc. with reserved loungers waiting their return, might think entitles them to do so?

Curious to know the group's thoughts on someone saving a chair for their other half.

I can sit in the sun for HOURS, while my boyfriend will get bored/sunburned if he is outside for more than 45-60 minutes at a time. We went down to the pool early and after about an hour, he went to work out. He came back a couple hours later after eating/showering etc. and resumed his spot next to me.

I held that chair for him the whole time. Should I have offered it up to someone on the contingent basis that they would have to leave when BF gets back?

I honestly think that chair hogs make people that normally wouldn't be chair hogs turn into them.

I noticed that on sea day 1, all the pool side chairs weren't "claimed" until around 11am, sea day 2 the time was 10 am and on sea day 3 it was 8:30. I said "claimed" because the chairs were not occupied by bodies, but rather by towels/books. I felt fortunate I was able to find a chair to sit in, even though the chairs were only 10% full with actual people. I ended up "chair hogging" my spot because my thought process was "if everyone else is doing it".

Which is bad...I know.

The way I look at it, someone else could have been enjoying that chair and the sun for the hours your boyfriend wasn't there....in other words, I would consider it chair hogging.

Hopefully Celebrity will one day do something about chair hogging and then no one would think that becoming one is okay. I always remember what my mom use to use to say, It is wrong and just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean that you have to.

Again and again as I read cruise reviews, I read of the frustration of cruisers who see unoccupied loungers in prime locations usually empty for hours. Apparently, cruise staff do nothing about this. What would be wrong if someone looking for a lounger removed the abandoned property after a reasonable time -20 minutes?- 1/2 hour? Actually, no one is paying extra for their often daylong reserved lounger? Would those on this board agree that this is a reasonable solution?

In theory it is reasonable. In practice it can lead to trouble, including, but not limited to, fights, allegations of stealing, liability for missing property ...

Where do you intend to put this property that is not yours? What are you going to do if the owner of the property claims something is missing? What if the owner of the property gets violent?

It is better to bring it to the attention of the staff and see if you can get them to do something about it. If they refuse, then what gives you the authority to take matters into your own hands. How do you intend to defend your actions when the people responsible for taking action refuse to do so?

I understand the concern about chair hogs, especially the ones that have a chair in the shade and one in the sun! But how would you rule the person who goes for a swim and chats for quite a while with other people in the pool, which does happen - you should not remove their stuff even though their butt hasn't been in the chair for over 1/2 hour.

Again and again as I read cruise reviews, I read of the frustration of cruisers who see unoccupied loungers in prime locations usually empty for hours. Apparently, cruise staff do nothing about this. What would be wrong if someone looking for a lounger removed the abandoned property after a reasonable time -20 minutes?- 1/2 hour? Actually, no one is paying extra for their often daylong reserved lounger? Would those on this board agree that this is a reasonable solution?

Just back from the Equinox a few weeks ago. The pool butlers did a good job of enforcing the posted 30 minute rule. Actually, a lady saved my stuff and chair as I went to have a cigarette and grab some food and bring back to the pool to eat, the butler attempted to take my stuff. I don't think I was gone that long but may have been. Good for them.

As to self policing, it should not happen and I'm always concerned with others that take things like that on themselves. They end up being the fuddy-duddy of the cruise as too many people get too worried about other's business.

Edited by blindrid

Not saying you were gone for over 20 minutes.I'll give you an example. A woman left a dog in her car at a Sams Club last year. It was starting to get hot & we called the police. The woman explained she was in there for 10 min. Survelliance showed she was actually in the store for over 45min. Enough for the cop to arrest her for endangering a pet.If you were on the eclipse last Jan.26,perhaps I did move your stuff. If you were on that trip you were gone nearly an hour as I timed my watch.I know it wasn't you as I told the pax after they returned, that their stuff was on the table right next to us.This was after more than an hour of us lying on the lounges.I told them that if you don't stay, you risk having your belongings moved,as many of us don't like those who hog the loungers. Nothing was said to me.I've found the pool butlers to be too afraid to really do anything, so sometimes we have to do it ourselves.

I am not sure if anyone really knows how to tell time when on a cruise except for those who need to time there's for a pool chair soory to suggest.

I can sit at the pool with a book for a change of position for I don't know how long. Should I be giving up my chair because I'm sitting my feet in the pool?

For those who say yes, why don't you just plant yourselves at the pool and do the same thing if you can't find a sunny chair?

What about if I am in he pool?

What about if I am in the hot tub?

What about the other areas that are not poolside but available for sunning? No chairs there?

IMO, if you have gotten a lounger, and go to the pool, or hot tub, your are USING your pool space.....this is what the loungers are for. You take a dip, you lie in the chair...you get a drink, you go back to the lounger.....this is USING the lounger!

If you claim a chair 1st thing in the a.m., and don't intend to be there before noon, you're a chair hog.

So far, we've always been able to find a seat.....maybe night right next to the pool (which is the worst spot, I think....noisy and hot)...but somewhere on an upper deck. Near the railing is my preferred area, so I get wind to cool me off!

Edited by cb at sea

Chair hogs are just inconsiderate. Leaving a hat or book but not appearing for hours is just not acceptable. I would give it an hour incase they are off having lunch and then I contact pool steward and if if is just a towel, then I remove them. Have seen beds reserved from 09-00 am and still empty at 15-00 which just isn't right.

Which is bad...I know.

Saving a chair, even for your better half, for a couple of hours is definitely chair hogging in my opinion. I'm sure you saw people wandering around looking for chairs.

My husband can't take that much sun either, when he leaves, I offer up the chair.

While on the subject:

Chair hogging seems to be a cultural thing, on our Australian cruise (90% Auzzi passengers) there were always available chairs. Nobody left stuff for extended times.

If the cruise line would at least put up a wall of cubbies, those who just want to be in the pool or hot tub would at least have a place to put their stuff.

MSC has a brilliant way of dealing with this. You have to sign for your pool towel and return it or else you will be charged for it. Initially, we found this to be slightly annoying, but after a few days we realized that people were not using their towels to reserve chairs for fear of losing the towels.

Cut down on chair hogs dramatically.

Unfortunately, Celebrity did not deal with issue well during our December 2014 cruise on the Infinity. Unlike our December 2012 trip on the Summit, we regularly had problems finding deck chairs neat the pool.

Edited by jkgourmet

I totally agree that you should not touch someone else's stuff. If it's been more than 30 minutes, alert a pool butler and request action. That is one of their responsibilities.

And I totally agree with you. You should not touch someone else's stuff Alert

a pool Butler that is their job.:)

what's your opinion when one member of a large family or one person of a group sits down on one chair and attempts to save many other chairs around him for a long time. I don't think it's fair.

what's your opinion when one member of a large family or one person of a group sits down on one chair and attempts to save many other chairs around him for a long time. I don't think it's fair.

I would think it is only a small group of people that think this is right, but a large group of people that have seen it done.

I thought I would weigh in on the subject. We have only sailed on Carnival and when I reviewed the postings before our Carnival cruise, there were all kinds of postings on this subject. This is the first time I have seen it on the Celebrity site. Not seeing it, until now, made me thing that it wasn't a big issue with Celebrity. I still don't think it is a problem here because hardly anybody is talking about it. It sounds like to me that the pool butlers must be doing a pretty good joe of policing this. This is our first Celebrity cruise. Is this an on going thing on all cruise lines? It doesn't matter to me so much because there are always chairs somewhere on the ship to sit in and if it's not where I want them to be, then I go and do something else. There's just too many things to do on the ship to worry about being able to sit close to the pool.