Is HAL for pardon me the wheelchair bound?

NOSaints1

When we were on our Carnival cruise our Carnival rep said after we were in the wrong line, you'll be in bed by 8. So in your opinion is HAL more for the seniors than the younger crowd? Or does it depend on the intenerarys?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're all older than dirt. :)

If you want hairy chest and wet t shirt contests, HAL is not for you.

If you want rock climbing walls and water slides, you may wish to look at RCI.

If you want tasteful ships, polite service, beautiful art, don't need hand holding to enjoy yourself........ think about HAL.

You've done the right thing coming here to the HAL forum. Spend some time reading threads that interest you and judge if this seems to be a cruise line you'd like to sail..

I am in bed at 8 at home as I get up at 4 to go to work. Even my children are up later than me. I have never been to bed at 8 on a cruise. But that said, if you want constant announcements with a litany of activities you can choose then HAL is not for you. They are all listed in the daily newsletter "on location" for you to read the night before. Bring a highlighter to prioritize as there are many to choose from.

I am in bed at 8 at home as I get up at 4 to go to work. Even my children are up later than me. I have never been to bed at 8 on a cruise. But that said, if you want constant announcements with a litany of activities you can choose then HAL is not for you. They are all listed in the daily newsletter "on location" for you to read the night before. Bring a highlighter to prioritize as there are many to choose from.

I get up at 4 am too. I thought I was bad because I'm in bed between 9 and 9:30.

I get up at 4 am too. I thought I was bad because I'm in bed between 9 and 9:30.

I misspoke due to the question. I am upstairs by 8, or try to be. I try to be in bed by 9. The light rarely goes out before 10. 6 hours is my maximum amount of sleep during the week. Many nights I am lucky to get 5 hours.

The question irked me because I had to work to understand the subject because of the lack of punctuation. I just wanted to add some perspective.

I misspoke due to the question. I am upstairs by 8, or try to be. I try to be in bed by 9. The light rarely goes out before 10. 6 hours is my maximum amount of sleep during the week. Many nights I am lucky to get 5 hours.

The question irked me because I had to work to understand the subject because of the lack of punctuation. I just wanted to add some perspective.

Misery loves company. I'm just happy I'm not the only one that gets up at dark o thirty.

As far as the op goes, I've found that some people just have a perception about hal that some posters here love to perpetuate. Is hal full if night owls? Not really. IF the op needs constant entertainment I don't think they'll be happy. If they are more self entertaining type Hal may be a better fit.

Over 40 does not equal wheelchair bound. You could have worded your title differently.

Roz

We're in our mid 30s but we're booked on Celebrity.

Have a great cruise.

You likely will find a very similar demographic on Celebrity as on HAL's short cruises. Of course, 60+ day cruises have many senior people. Who else has the time for such a long time away?

When we worked, we were also up early and on the road by 5:30.

Not that we are retired, we still get up early as DH likes to get to the health club early before the crowd gets there. Thus he is on the road by 5:30.

On the ship DH is in the gym at 6 unless we have an early tour -- again we are up early.

We generally go to bed between 9 and 10.

I don't recall any nights we were back in our cabin before 11 or 12 due to lack of anything to do .... on any of the lines we've sailed.

Granted the disco on HAL may not be quite as hoppin' as on a Carnival ship :D but there are entertainment options well after 10 pm.

If your idea of fun is to drink to you puke (or if you are one of the "15 drinks don't even make me tipsy" folks), HAL is not for you.

If you need ear damaging music levels on the pool deck or in any other public

area, HAL is not for you.

If you can enjoy a relaxed atmosphere, civilized conversation, live music throughout the ship consisting of string quartets, solo performers, and vocalists, HAL is for you.

If you don't require grits, greasy hamburgers, and "American" food (at least the type served in Denny's) but can instead enjoy food different from what you eat at home (see first part of sentence), HAL is for you.

When we were on our Carnival cruise our Carnival rep said after we were in the wrong line, you'll be in bed by 8. So in your opinion is HAL more for the seniors than the younger crowd? Or does it depend on the intenerarys?

Did you expect some one would say nice things about a competitor? Calling competitors names should turn you off, not entice you. Poor form by the Carnival rep.

I might have immediately asked the rep when they were last on HAL.

On the other hand, the title of this thread is also not in good form.

Edited by CruiserBruce

And taking a kinder look at the title of your thread and taking it literally (which I really don't think you mean).....

"Is HAL for the wheelchair bound?" then:

Yes, if that is your situation. The ships are accessible and there are accessible cabins. You may need to book early to get your choice.

Like others said, if you want wet tshirt or hairy leg contests or loud music and non stop partying and drunkenness you'd do best to go elsewhere.

I'm sure other lines would also provide you with an accessible experience along with the above experiences.

Sorry I'm just using what the rep told us, saying you'll be in bed by 8 and you will come off the ship in a wheelchair, no disrespect.

I'm sorry, but I just can't find anything respectful about that.

Since you're booked with Celebrity, have you asked this question over there? Not sure why you're asking this, as you aren't booked with HAL anyway.

I don't think you'll feel out of place on either line, we have sailed both. As others have said, the shorter cruises will have a younger crowd. But even on our longer cruises we have seen all ages, during the summer especially. Where would your DW like to cruise?

Edited by Cruising-along

We're doing Celebrity on the Soltice to Alaska. She wants to do Canada/New England, a cruise up the California coast and someday Europe.

Good choices. Both lines do all those, I would just choose by itinerary. We've found that Celebrity doesn't offer longer European cruises like HAL does, so we usually pick HAL over Celebrity for Europe. But we like longer cruises and cruise for the itinerary. HALs west coast cruises IMO aren't as good as Celebrity's, and they have those California wine cruises :D

I took my first cruise when I was 50 and didn't feel out of place. My husband and I left our wild partying behind when we became parents. I love the elegance of the HAL ships. Oh sure, there are older people but lot's of middle-aged energetic people. Now at 64 I still like zip lining and river rafting rather than getting drunk and partying all night. Like some have said the longer the cruise the older the crowd. summer has more young people and Alaska is pretty itinerary oriented.