Happy Hour

Wastegirl

New to Princess, a couple of initial questions:

• Does Princess have 'Happy Hour' in their bars at certain times of the day, eg offering two4one deals etc
  • In the Bathroom does Princess have a spot you can temporarily put a line to hang some hand washing
  • What are the toilettries like in the bathroom, reasonable (in a verandah cabin) I don't expect L'Occtaine but reasonable quality will be good
  • Is Princess like HAL in that you can bring on unlimited wine and pay corkage for consumption in any of the bars or restaurants
  • Is the covered pool areas airconditioned (as we will be in a warmer climate) or can it get stuffy
  • Other than the brewed coffee in the buffet is there any place to get a decent cup or a pot of tea for no extra charge

Thanks in advance for any answers, I appreciate it.

•  
  • Does Princess have 'Happy Hour' in their bars at certain times of the day, eg offering two4one deals etc

• In the Bathroom does Princess have a spot you can temporarily put a line to hang some hand washing

• What are the toilettries like in the bathroom, reasonable (in a verandah cabin) I don't expect L'Occtaine but reasonable quality will be good

• Is Princess like HAL in that you can bring on unlimited wine and pay corkage for consumption in any of the bars or restaurants

• Is the covered pool areas airconditioned (as we will be in a warmer climate) or can it get stuffy

• Other than the brewed coffee in the buffet is there any place to get a decent cup or a pot of tea for no extra charge

Can't answer your question about the Happy Hour. I don't keep track of that info. :(

Yes, all bathrooms have a laundry line that you pull out of the wall and hook up on the other end. FYI, all Princess ships have a self-serve laundry and most have one on every deck.

Yes, bring on wine and pay the corkage fee for other than the first bottle. You're each allowed one. Some ports are more observant of this than others. You may wind up not paying the corkage fee if you use the wine exclusively in your cabin. It's inconsistent.

All cabins have basic toiletries. A balcony cabin is no different from any other. There's a combo shampoo/conditioner in a dispenser and shower gel in another. They're on the wall in the shower. I don't use either and bring my own shampoo and conditioner in a small container and ask for extra hand soaps that I use in the shower.

If the ship has a covered pool (most Princess ships don't), it's air-conditioned. I like the upper deck of these pool areas as there isn't as much chlorine smell, it's rarely crowded, there are chairs as well as loungers, and there's access outside if I want to pop outside (such as an announcement from the Captain that there are whales on the port side, for example.)

Best free coffee is in the dining room.

Edited by Pam in CA

Thanks in advance for any answers, I appreciate it.

Not sure about what ship you are looking at. From our recent cruises I can answer a couple (or maybe all) of the questions.

On our last cruise (Regal) happy hour was 2-4-1 at one bar from 3 to 4pm and at another bar from 11pm to midnight.

Pull out clothes line in the shower on all Princess ships we have been on.

Shower gel and shampoo/conditioner combo in pumps. Hand soap and some hand lotion on vanity. We bring and use our own shower soap and shampoo.

The first 750ml bottle of wine (one per person) is free. After that $15 corkage charge per bottle for as many as you can carry on. (Be sure to carry on the wine or you may "lose" it.

We have always seen the ships with covered pools have the covers open on warm weather itineraries.

Decent coffee or tea is subject to your own taste buds. Try all of the free locations and decide where it tastes the best and go there. That is what we do.

Have a great cruise!:cool:

• 1 month later...

Golden had 2 for 1 in Wheelhouse bar 3:00 to 4:00 and in Skywalkers 10:00-11:00 PM. Star in November had the same but the happy hour in Skywalkers was 11:00 - midnight as others have reported.

On ships with a conservatory (covered pool) I have seen it open on nice days and closed on bad weather days. Not all ships have one however but the Diamond does have it. It is somewhat of a problem to open it so the weather has to be nice all day etc.

We take our own shampoo, bath soap and hand soap. We like it better than what the ship provides.

Princess policy is to allow one 750 ml bottle of wine per pax at embarkation. All other 750 ml bottles are charged a corking fee before you board the ship at embarkation. However enforcement of this policy is haphazard at best. We have had to pay but on other times we were allowed to bring it all on without charge. If you drink it in the MDR or speciality dining rooms they are supposed to charge a corking fee if it has not already been paid. However this is not always enforced. Moral is go expecting to pay and if they don't collect it, you have more money for other things.

• Is Princess like HAL in that you can bring on unlimited wine and pay corkage for consumption in any of the bars or restaurants?

Yes, bring on wine and pay the corkage fee for other than the first bottle. You're each allowed one.

The corkage fee for all after the first bottle/person is paid when you embark, not when you bring it to a dining room. This fee is paid even if you intend to consume it in your cabin.

There is no fee charged for the first bottle/person when you embark, but there will be a corkage fee charged for it if you bring it to a dining room. No fee if consumed in your cabin.

Edited by caribill

Golden had 2 for 1 in Wheelhouse bar 3:00 to 4:00 and in Skywalkers 10:00-11:00 PM. Star in November had the same but the happy hour in Skywalkers was 11:00 - midnight as others have reported.

On ships with a conservatory (covered pool) I have seen it open on nice days and closed on bad weather days. Not all ships have one however but the Diamond does have it. It is somewhat of a problem to open it so the weather has to be nice all day etc.

We take our own shampoo, bath soap and hand soap. We like it better than what the ship provides.

Princess policy is to allow one 750 ml bottle of wine per pax at embarkation. All other 750 ml bottles are charged a corking fee before you board the ship at embarkation. However enforcement of this policy is haphazard at best. We have had to pay but on other times we were allowed to bring it all on without charge. If you drink it in the MDR or speciality dining rooms they are supposed to charge a corking fee if it has not already been paid. However this is not always enforced. Moral is go expecting to pay and if they don't collect it, you have more money for other things.

What is included in the 2 for 1 happy hour? Thanks.

Yes, it's anything you like. I tend to get a double bourbon (Bulleit), straight up. They put it in a single glass for me.

I've seen all kinds of drinks including bottles of beer and half bottles of champagne. People will get the two small bottles and have them only open one. They take the other to their cabin.

I did the BOGO in Skywalker's but it's too loud in there for me so I just got my drink and took it with me. Pretty easy to do when you have straight whiskey in a single glass. :)

What is included in the 2 for 1 happy hour? Thanks.

Any drink. But they have to be the same. ( can't do two different wines, beer etc. ) Saw many guys with 6 bottles of unopened beer walking out of the bar... a better deal than the bucket of beer "special" . Saw some insulated glasses and mugs being used to hold two drinks and taken up to the deck or other less crowded spots.

Or you could order a "double" of something. The 3-4 bartime is crowded. Go early is you want to sit. A great deal that people don't want to miss out on.

Edited by eandj

Any drink. But they have to be the same. ( can't do two different wines, beer etc. ) Saw many guys with 6 bottles of unopened beer walking out of the bar... a better deal than the bucket of beer "special" . Saw some insulated glasses and mugs being used to hold two drinks and taken up to the deck or other less crowded spots.

Or you could order a "double" of something. The 3-4 bartime is crowded. Go early is you want to sit. A great deal that people don't want to miss out on.

Thanks for the tip about insulated mugs-I shall put that on my packing list so I have some juice in the refrigerator overnight. I plan to regularly sample cocktails, varying with mocktails and soft drinks to minimise the nasty surprise of a headache due to not drinking enough non-alcoholic fluids!

Crochetcruise :cool: