Cruising with Broken Ribs at day 10

cruiseforvac

Since your doctor says OK, I doubt they will write you a letter for the insurance co. saying you can't go due to medical reasons. I assume you have travel insurance. Don't see many options for you, but it's no fun being in pain and miserable and having to travel. Could you ask the doctor for a stronger painkiller?

Roz

If your doctor thinks it's safe it's all a matter of what YOU think.

Personally, I went on a cruise 8 days after I broke my ankle. I didn't do anything that we had planned, but had such a great time on the ship - it's when I learned to appreciate at sea days, and it led to a love for transAtlantic cruises.

It was difficult to go around the ship on crutches but I learned to make accommodations for my limits, to not push myself if it didn't seem like a good idea. And since balance was an issue, to not drink more than a glass of dinner wine.

Make sure you take you pain medicine exactly on time. The other thing that might help you would be an inflatable wedge pillow set such as this:

http://www.contourliving.com/inflatable-backmax-body-wedge-set/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=product_feed&utm_campaign=IBM&gclid=Cj0KEQiArK6lBRC5-_jv48uxgrgBEiQAuxdZ9ddv1EJe4y3enC-7gF9DUMxbN4lDwhwm6s6JZNlVhQwaAj1w8P8HAQ

This puts you in the zero gravity position, so your body relaxes as much as possible. I used this for my husband when he broke 3 ribs in a dirt bike accident. This made all the difference to his comfort when sleeping. During the day he kept up most of his regular routine - although no workouts and we iced his ribs often.

Also bring along an ice pack as that helps greatly.

I think you may as well go on this cruise. You won't be able to go zip lining, but you can walk for short periods of time and enjoy the scenery. You can relax on a lounge chair in the sun or on your balcony. You can eat dinner and not have to make your bed or do any household chores, so I think that the cruise actually might be a good part of your healing process.

Aww, so sorry. :( Do you fly or drive to the port? Also, remember that each day should bring a little more relief - come the first few days of next week, you'll be in a much better place physically, and I do mean that if you are at home or on the cruise. Last year, we took a celebration cruise after my cancer treatments ended. I was exhausted and bald - but determined to go! I stayed on the ship one of the days and hubby went into port by himself; I just couldn't make it. If you go, you'll know what you can and cannot do.

I fully understand your thoughts on cancelling; let us know what you decide.

Is it reasonable to cruise after breaking 2 ribs 10 days prior to departure? Drs day its OK but pain at day 7 is pretty bad. Have cruise with Nieuw Amsterdam on 1/11/15 and wonder if it is feasible at this point. Thanks

I would go on the cruise and relax. If you didn't go on the cruise, you would still have broken ribs and sit on the couch at home.

Through all my years of playing softball and basketball I've pulled hamstrings, groins, injured arms and legs and blew out 3 ribs. Of all the injuries only the rib one kept me from playing and that was a month. It hurt to sneeze, cough, walk, laugh, go to the bathroom and just about everything else. With that said I would rather be relaxing by a pool or balcony with access to elevators for a week. Might heal you up a bit quicker. Definitely wouldn't want to do an excursion though.

Is it reasonable to cruise after breaking 2 ribs 10 days prior to departure? Drs day its OK but pain at day 7 is pretty bad. Have cruise with Nieuw Amsterdam on 1/11/15 and wonder if it is feasible at this point. Thanks

I've had two broken ribs. So, my heart goes out to you. Can't remember how long I was totally out of commission (even with great meds). But, it was definitely more than two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If your doctor has cleared you, one would think it is okay.

If you want to is another question.

You certainly know you will have many limitations including no lifting, sleeping in a bed that may not be as comfortable for you as your own, no active excursions, no carrying anything.

You have to make the choice. Your doctor seems to have left it to you.

Hope you heal well and quickly. Good luck.

thanks; the link to the pillow no longer works. Can you tell me the product name so I can google it?

Inflatable BackMax Body Wedge Set

I see at least 3 sites this is available online.

Relax the Back also has a similar system, although it is not inflatable so not cruise friendly. Basically, what seemed to work best with my husband was the pillow set for night and his recliner during the day. The inflatable pillow set will give you a lot of options to be comfy in your stateroom and you could even bring it topside if desired to lounge around the pool.

Edited by SuiteTraveler