Formal Nights in General

PCruzer

We have been on numerous HAL cruises over the years but not since 2011, when we did a partial Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam. We have an upcoming 14-day Caribbean cruise. Do people still dress up on formal night? My husband always brought a tuxedo with him. Will he feel overdressed wearing it on formal night? And what about the ladies? Do they wear long fancy dresses any longer? The last time we cruised, I would say it was about 50-50 on formal night. Just don't want to feel over (or under!) dressed. Thanks!

We have been on numerous HAL cruises over the years but not since 2011, when we did a partial Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam. We have an upcoming 14-day Caribbean cruise. Do people still dress up on formal night? My husband always brought a tuxedo with him. Will he feel overdressed wearing it on formal night? And what about the ladies? Do they wear long fancy dresses any longer? The last time we cruised, I would say it was about 50-50 on formal night. Just don't want to feel over (or under!) dressed. Thanks!

How people dress very much depends on the cruise and demographic on board.

There are less tuxes - but there are still tuxes. I would guess you will see between 10 - 30% tuxes. It seems to me there are less on the Caribbean than in Europe but that is just my experience. DH has opted not to take his tux for the last few cruises. Suits give more flexibility for other occasions.

A lot of ladies wear pants/skirts with sparkly tops, etc. There are still very nice cocktail dresses and some still wear a long gown (including me on some nights).

Wear what you are comfortable in and makes you feel good

Tuxes will still be seen on Caribbean cruises so your husband will not be out of place in his tux. Gowns for ladies are becoming fewer and fewer but they (and tuxes) are a bit more prevalent at late seating for dinner. My DH does the tuxedo and I tend toward silk dressy slacks or a long black skirt with sparkly or silk tops.

DH always wore tuxedo for all formal nights. He stopped doing so about two or so years ago when he realized he was part of only about 10% of the gents. Dark suits and even jacket and tie is far more the norm these days. I switched from the long dresses to knee length cocktail dresses. :)

We always have 8 P.M. Traditional Seating.

Edited by sail7seas

You CANNOT be "overdressed" on formal night!

I'm pleased to hear that. People who take a cruise several times a year may become blasé about dressing for dinner. But for us it's just an annual occurrence and we enjoy the opportunity to enjoy this tradition of the sea. I would rather not be the only man in the dining room in a tuxedo, but I will take that risk.

On our 21 day cruise a couple of years ago -- a cruise we had done several times -- DH was stunned to see so few men in Tuxedos and he felt so out of place.

That was the last time he wore his tuxedo -- it is now in the back of his closet.

Now we only wears a suit or a dress shirt, jacket and tie.

I had to give up floor length skirts 3 years ago as I now use a Rollator thus I have 3/4 length skirts and fancy tops.

You CANNOT be "overdressed" on formal night!

I just wish this was still true. Sadly on our last few cruises I would say only about 2/3 of the people were dressed in the basic requirements. That was in the MDR late seating.

Our TA in November had a good percentage wearing Tuxes and did not see anyone not dressed in Suits or nice Cocktail Dresses or Dressy Pants Outfits for the Formal nights.

Our 7 Night Carib there was a small percentage in Tuxes but everyone dressed for Formal night who ate in the MDR. I was actually surprised after reading how people are starting to dress down as it was the DWTS Finale and we had quite a range in ages. Everyone though we saw in the Dining Room was dressed up. We had Main (late) Seating.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We like the tradition of dressing up on formal nights. It's an elegant evening out. So I think we will stick with bringing our formal clothing. If we are in the minority, so be it!

If you have formal finery and want to dress to the nines on formal nights, go for it. You will always get people who don't want to dress in anything but resort casual and are as vocal as those of us who love to dress up. Hubby and I always dress - he loves to wear his tux and I so enjoy bringing out the sparklies and heels. Enjoy your 2 weeks in the Caribbean!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Do people still dress up on formal night? My husband always brought a tuxedo with him. Will he feel overdressed wearing it on formal night?

I just wish this was still true. Sadly on our last few cruises I would say only about 2/3 of the people were dressed in the basic requirements. That was in the MDR late seating.

It truly is hard to be overdressed on formal night. Just because others are underdressed for the occasion does not change the standard.

For those who like to dress up, be appropriate, and wear their finery---do it. You aren't the ones out of place, no matter how few your number.

You won't be overdressed. We just did two Caribbean cruises and were surprised by the percentage of passengers in tuxedos. It was definitely dressier than we expected, and I would say that the death of the formal dresser is greatly exaggerated.

Personally, if the dress code said formal, and we were dressed formally, I wouldn't feel the slightest bit self conscious.

I just got off the Regal Princess New Year's Eve cruise. This was the dressiest crowd I had seen in a long time. My husband wore a tux, but what was really noticeable was a very fancy level of ladies' dressing. Even the smart casual nights had lots of outfits that could have been for formal night! I think it was because it was a festive season, but also a large number of what seemed to be South Americans on board. Wow, did they dress! I started looking in my clothes I had brought to put together more dressy evening outfits on all the nights. It was quite fun and I enjoyed a lot seeing this unusually dressy crowd. It was great. This was a happy party crowd on this cruise, with many ages. Lots of young girls and little girls dressed to the nines too!

I just got off the Regal Princess New Year's Eve cruise. This was the dressiest crowd I had seen in a long time. My husband wore a tux, but what was really noticeable was a very fancy level of ladies' dressing. Even the smart casual nights had lots of outfits that could have been for formal night! I think it was because it was a festive season, but also a large number of what seemed to be South Americans on board. Wow, did they dress! I started looking in my clothes I had brought to put together more dressy evening outfits on all the nights. It was quite fun and I enjoyed a lot seeing this unusually dressy crowd. It was great. This was a happy party crowd on this cruise, with many ages. Lots of young girls and little girls dressed to the nines too!

I thought the Caribbean would be more casual, but it was actually more dressy and formal. At least on this cruise. But people were relaxed and seemed to be enjoying themselves.

It truly is hard to be overdressed on formal night. Just because others are underdressed for the occasion does not change the standard.

For those who like to dress up, be appropriate, and wear their finery---do it. You aren't the ones out of place, no matter how few your number.

totally agree.

DW and I love to dress-up on formal nights, but it now appears that we are no longer in a majority with this issue. Although HAL does sometimes seem a bit more formal then other lines (with the exception of the very formal Cunard) we have lately noticed a huge degradation in passengers dress on HAL formal nights. And unfortunately, enforcement of the formal dress code seems to be hit or miss depending on the ship or who is on duty at the dining room door. On our most recent HAL cruise (38 day Oosterdam) we saw quite a few men let into the dining room without a jacket (or tie). On some other nights we also saw some men turned away without a jacket....so one never knows. We also spotted one guy who was wearing a baseball cap in the MDR on a formal night (and since we often sat near this guy out on deck (when he did not wear a hat) there was no health or cosmetic issue involved)). The ships staff now seems hesitant to enforce any rule on ships (we have seen numerous smoking violations, chair hog violations, etc). I guess from their point of view they never want to say "no" to a passenger or risk a passenger being displeased with their actions.

Hank