Oasis of the Seas food poisoning

WWWMOM1

wait: Are you a doctor? Cause dr. Ocean boy and dr. Starry eyes have already weighed in on the falsity of this statement. So if you're a doctor (a real doctor, i'm talking md, not "chiropractor" or "phd"), then i'm going to have to ask all three of you where you went to med school before i decide who's right. ;)

i mean, i've invested a good 10 minutes reading all 3 pages of this thread and i'm curious!!!!

logo.png ;)

Edited by Merion_Mom

So is Doc OB arrogant too? :confused::rolleyes:

Let's not drag Ocean Boy into it.

The other poster's comment does not bother me.

One of those (now) fond med school memories: the day the storied dean of students stared me in the eye and firmly suggested a thicker skin. That stung badly for a moment. Well maybe longer than that, proving he had a point. A thicker skin is, indeed, an asset. Still sometimes mine should be thicker; sometimes others would benefit from the same (Note: that is not directed at anybody on this thread; just a general thought).

Edited by Starry Eyes

copied from Mayoclinic.org

Depending on your symptoms and health history, your doctor may conduct diagnostic tests, such as a blood test, stool culture or examination for parasites, to identify the cause and confirm the diagnosis.

So the answer is blood, or stool, or both, or neither!:confused:

Hope your MOM in law is feeling better!

Edited by American Bear

My grandson was quarantined last month on Allure for 24 hours with Noro. No compensation, just free wi-if and unlimited PPV movies. I seriously doubt that someone with food poisoning would be quarantined...something smells a bit fishy.;)

My son and his wife had the Ultimate drink package and briefly considered asking for a 1-day comp (on the package, not the cruise) since they were stuck in the room but decided not to bother. Sounds like the credit they offered was reasonable...at least to me.

Edited by Wilda

My grandson was quarantined last month on Allure for 24 hours with Noro. No compensation, just free wi-if and unlimited PPV movies. I seriously doubt that someone with food poisoning would be quarantined...something smells a bit fishy.;)

My son and his wife had the Ultimate drink package and briefly considered asking for a 1-day comp (on the package, not the cruise) since they were stuck in the room but decided not to bother. Sounds like the credit they offered was reasonable...at least to me.

Ya, think! The whole thread sounded fishy from the begining...

jc

Depending on your symptoms,

health history,

blood test,

stool culture,

examination for parasites,

what you may have consumed,

changes in medication..

Abdominal problems from either end and it's food poisoning and not one of the thousands of other medical problems that are exhibited by the same symptoms, diagnosed from a simple blood test.????

I highly doubt it.

I would like to know (I have been out of the medical profession since 1997 after 30 years) what specific blood test there is that without very specialized equipment will show positive for any of the more common forms of food poisoning.

OMO

bosco

I came down with Shingles onboard. No quarantine. No reimbursement. I was just in too much pain to go anywhere for 3 days. Sometimes stuff just happens. I think if you are under quarantine the compensation for missed days is very generous of them.

If you had a quarantine notice without compensation, you could submit it to your travel insurance carrier. I guess they don't want to have to find a new insurance carrier, either.

If you aren't under quarantine, there is no compensation and nothing to submit for insurance reimbursement. Although the travel insurance did pay for the visit to medical. :)

Depending on your symptoms,

health history,

blood test,

stool culture,

examination for parasites,

what you may have consumed,

changes in medication..

Abdominal problems from either end and it's food poisoning and not one of the thousands of other medical problems that are exhibited by the same symptoms, diagnosed from a simple blood test.????

I highly doubt it.

I would like to know (I have been out of the medical profession since 1997 after 30 years) what specific blood test there is that without very specialized equipment will show positive for any of the more common forms of food poisoning.

OMO

bosco

Let me tell you what I have learned here......there is no blood test for food poisoning.;):)

Let's not drag Ocean Boy into it.

The other poster's comment does not bother me.

One of those (now) fond med school memories: the day the storied dean of students stared me in the eye and firmly suggested a thicker skin. That stung badly for a moment. Well maybe longer than that, proving he had a point. A thicker skin is, indeed, an asset. Still sometimes mine should be thicker; sometimes others would benefit from the same (Note: that is not directed at anybody on this thread; just a general thought).

It is ok if I get dragged into it. My skin toughened up years ago though it is still at times prone to abrasions. I'm hardly a new kid on the block. Funny how med school and residency tries to blunt some of our sensitivities isn't it? At one time I thought the more sensitive a physician the better. Those teachers knew that we had better find the right balance if we were going to survive in this profession.

Blood tests and stool samples aside:rolleyes:, the thing that strikes me as a little odd about this report is that the OP's Mother-in-Law had food poisoning, yet we haven't heard about an outbreak of food poisoning on that sailing. I would think that on a ship with hundreds of people eating from the same source, quite a few people would be stricken if it was food poisoning. Now, I know only a small percentage of cruisers are on CC, but for major things we usually hear about them here within hours of the event.:eek: This time? Crickets.

Maybe there was a huge wave that knocked them all off the ship...:D

We had an entire wall mirror fall on us in bed on Oasis while we were sleeping. Thankfully we did not have to go to medical, but we were up for a few hours in the middle of the night while the area was cleaned and bedding was changed out. A few days later there was a bottle of wine and a letter from a guest the services manager that we spoke with later the next day about the incident. The letter gave us a FCC of 10% of what that cruise fare cost.

Our concern was our incident a one off, or one of many to come as Oasis was a few years old at that point. That is what we expressed to the Guest Services Manager as well as the head of house keeping that visited with us. We also provided them saved photos, to which they said would be used for training. This was a total surprise as we were more concerned about other guests and their safety.

The OP's FCC is most likely a percentage refund of what their sailing fare was, just like ours.

Hey Andrew

Its Rich Rafalski, did this happen on this past thanksgiving cruise? I hope your new year is going well!!!! We made the switch yesterday from the Allure for thanksgiving 2015 to the Serenade for Christmas/New Years!!! 12 nights.

I was a big jump in price but with a couple overtime shifts at the department should help.

Is the whole family taking the March cruise? If so, and you have some spare time to kill and a rental car, I would love to give a tour of our stations to the family. Are you attending the Boca Raton Concours d’Elegance —car show at the Boca Resort on Feb 20th?