Cash or credit on islands?

Jeads323

My fiancé and I are going on the southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan in April. We are debating on Cash or Credit while on the islands. I know that taxis and little stores are cash only, but is it safer to take cash? He's worried about getting mugged and losing the cash. We will probably bring both, but more cash than credit?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching. Thank you!

Edited by Jeads323

My personal preference is cash. I'm nervous to use credit cards out of the country.

That's me too, I'm afraid that someone might try to steal the number and charge them up! His comeback is well I don't lose money because of fraud. If he loses his cash..it's gone..ugh I'm so confused.

We mainly use cash but do take a credit card as well. We keep most of the cash in the safe and only bring a bit (stashed in different places on both of us) ashore as well as one card in case. I have paid ferry costs via credit card but smaller places I wouldn't be as comfortable using it, even if it were 'protected'. You also may have to think about an exchange rate depending on how they charge it (most won't charge US dollars)

I always use cash. For the US ports, like San Juan, I would use the credit card when I can. Most credit cards in foreign ports will have a fee in addition to the charge. I would rather use cash & pay less. 15 cruises, & I haven't been mugged. Get a money belt, carrying most of your cash & the cards in it.

I have noticed that most places are more willing to bargain with the price if we are using cash. Many times when I was interested in something and asked for a lower price, the first thing they ask is if we have cash.

We usually take cash, in small bills. A lot of the smaller vendors will not give change. You can get small bills at the customer service desk on the ship. I do take one credit card along in case we find something we really need, but have never used it.

Claudia

For small purchases ($20 or less), I use cash. Otherwise, I use my credit card. But be aware - many US credit card companies charge "foreign transaction" fees of up to 4%, in addition to the exchange rate. That can make any purchases quite expensive. I have a card that doesn't so that's the one I use.

We mostly use cash because we rarely purchase anything over $10 or so. We don't bring a lot, just what we think we'll need for a coke or snack. We've bought so many souvenirs over the years that we seldom buy them any more, unless very unique. We usually have one credit card along, just in casel

In all our many travels we've never felt too unsafe to bring cash and one credit card. We do take normal precautions, no matter where we are, and stepped up precautions in some areas.

Curious... Do many of the stores on the islands now have electronic card readers, or are they still using the old paper copy method? I'm reluctant to leave a paper copy of my CC around where anyone can copy the # down at a later time.

Curious... Do many of the stores on the islands now have electronic card readers, or are they still using the old paper copy method? I'm reluctant to leave a paper copy of my CC around where anyone can copy the # down at a later time.

That's a great question I would like to know..

We always bring a combination of cash and credit cards.

When you go ashore in ports, bring only the cash you will need for the day. Leave the rest of your cash in the cabin safe. You should carry one credit card and he another from a different bank.

If one of you loses your card, the other will have one.

If you have more than two credit cards, leave extra in the safe and particularly the one you have used to secure your shipboard bill.

Not many stores in the Caribbean will have the automatic card readers yet. Not many do in the Boston area.........

Not many stores in the Caribbean will have the automatic card readers yet. Not many do in the Boston area.........

Your kidding right??? Of course they have card readers and since I live half time in the Boston area, I'd sure like to know where you are finding stores with paper transactions for credit cards?:cool:

Even in Northern Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, everyone, even the local general stores have card readers!

For the OP, you have a better chance of saving your money in the end with a credit card. The card company will stand good for criminal activity. Your cash is gone forever. Robberies are no more common for tourists in the Caribbean than in most U.S. cities. Go have fun!!

I live in Boston and I never have had them use paper for my CC unless the system was down. So that's kind of a weird answer..

After recently being a victim of credit fraud......thankfully all was saved.

Found out we were hacked the next morning.

We had to change all our accounts.

We had to change all our credit cards.

The bank waived the penalty ($50).

We only use cash.

We also alert our credit card company when we are out of the country, in case we would have to use them in an emergency.

So, now older and wiser, we only use cash.

Never had a problem with someone taking the US currency.

Safe travels.

While I wouldn't use CC's for any travel at all I would say it really depends on a few factors.

Does your CC charge foreign transaction fees? If so use cash.

Do you have more then one CC with higher limits? If no, then use cash. This is because what you don't want to happen at sea is your info to be stolen. Then you have not only the issues with that, but can't pay your onboard account until it gets sorted out, probably after you get back home.

Do you plan on making BIG purchases? If so, one CC with a higher limit for your on-board account. One to shop with (preferably with no transaction fees!)

I carry lots of small bills when we go even out of town. On the way back from a cruise it was 2am and we needed gas. Didn't want to go in, so used a CC to pay at the pump. First time in 10 days that card was used... next day we "bought" train tickets with that card in France....

If you are flying though, lots of small bills aren't always an option, though you could change larger bills at the port city. You do also have those looks you get from your bank. Last time they thought I was crazy! I went in and asked for $2,000 in cash. $500 in $20, $500 in $10's, $200 in $5's and then $800 in $1's!

Your kidding right??? Of course they have card readers and since I live half time in the Boston area, I'd sure like to know where you are finding stores with paper transactions for credit cards?:cool:

Even in Northern Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, everyone, even the local general stores have card readers!

For the OP, you have a better chance of saving your money in the end with a credit card. The card company will stand good for criminal activity. Your cash is gone forever. Robberies are no more common for tourists in the Caribbean than in most U.S. cities. Go have fun!!

I live in Boston and I never have had them use paper for my CC unless the system was down. So that's kind of a weird answer..

[ I thought you meant chip and pin.

All retailers/restaurants etc have magnetic strip readers but chip and pin card readers are not usual.... yet.

I worked the islands for many years and used CC freely

never had a problem ... still use CC freely when cruising

have had more problems in MIAMI over the last 15 months than all the islands combined!

I watch my account activity via the web, but my CC company has caught bad activity b4 me ... usually within MINUTES

yes it is a bit of a pain to change all the account numbers for auto pays etc but my liability has been ZERO.

I carry a primary card that I use, and a backup (left in safe just in case) because if the primary is flagged as bad the account is locked and it can be several days (or more) b4 a new card catches up with you . . . .

I also use island ATMs to grab a little local cash . . .

My personal preference is cash. I'm nervous to use credit cards out of the country.
You can pick up a VISA gift card with just a couple hundred dollars; that way it's not connected to your real credit card.
The chances of being mugged are almost non existent, unless you frequent back alleys. happy cruising
I agree that you're unlikely to be outright robbed; if you're a victim of crime, it's more likely to be pickpocketing. The loss would, of course, be the same, but violence is highly unlikely.