Most Traveled

lois1112

Well actually, if there is a tie in the number of days the number of cruises does come into play. I'm sure that doesn't happen too often though. Then again maybe more than I think and just don't know about it.

Probably more than you think. They are inviting forty people. Ignoring the ties that only involve husband and wife, who have never done anything except cruise together, it is similar to what you may have experienced in school where the math teacher, to teach probability, goes around his class to see if there are two people (non-twins) with the same birthday, and the break even point is (per Wikipedia) 23. The range is broader on this. But the lower they go in number of days, the higher the chance of a tie, because birthdays are fairly randomly distributed and cruise days are weighted towards the lower end.

Just off the Island Princess. We were invited to Captains Luncheon with about 225 days. Of the top 40 invites low was 181 days, high was 796 days. We were invited on a C/NE cruise as a high Platinum. You never know.

Well actually, if there is a tie in the number of days the number of cruises does come into play. I'm sure that doesn't happen too often though. Then again maybe more than I think and just don't know about it.

We recently took several 3 and 4 day cruises on the Golden. Instead of a luncheon they gave us dinner for two in any of the specialty restaurants. That was veery nice but on those short cruises you have to book fast because reservations for the specialty restaurants fill up fast.

Sabatini's or Crown grill beats any cocktail party they have to offer. :D

On Mon. 04/08/13 we were seated at “Table 63” which as it turned out was quite an honor. We were seated along with another couple at the table. Everyone introduced themselves and we were introduced to Mr. Thomas & Mrs. Dorothy Churley, (Tom and Jean Churley) Princess Cruise Lines “Most Traveled Passengers” of the voyage. They have sailed 1,097 days with Princess since 2005! This was their 6th b-t-b cruise to Hawaii. They were also booked on the return cruise. They had this table each cruise in addition to having the same waiter. . They had ship name tags just like the staff but theirs said "Mom" & "Pop"! OH yeah, their waiter had a second name tag "Son"!

Mrs. Churley stated that when she thought it was time to go on another cruise, she would simply burn a couple of meals and her husband would start scheduling cruises.

By the way, does any one know if the Churley's are still cruising? I sure hope so, as they seemed to be quite a wonderful couple.

• 1 month later...
When my late mother and I took the QE2 in 2004, we saw a woman who was living aboard, as I understand it in an interior cabin. Don't know what became of her in the end.

The same thing that happens to everyone else in the end ... :(

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but on a peak-season Alaska RT out of Seattle we were one of the most traveled with only 94 days. Shocked us for sure. We walked around a bit and almost all the name tags by the doors were blue.

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but on a peak-season Alaska RT out of Seattle we were one of the most traveled with only 94 days. Shocked us for sure. We walked around a bit and almost all the name tags by the doors were blue.

Alaska and the Panama canal seem to have the lower numbers, at least the times were been aboard, and the Caribbean having the highest numbers especially on 7 day trips. Also the newer Royal (and I suspect Regal) are up there.

When my late mother and I took the QE2 in 2004, we saw a woman who was living aboard, as I understand it in an interior cabin. Don't know what became of her in the end.

I think maybe you are thinking of Beatrice Muller. When the QE2 was retired she briefly moved over to the QM2. She nearly ran me down with her walker one afternoon at tea:p as she stormed out of the Queen's room . She disliked the QM2 and moved back to land sometime after that voyage. I believe she died last year.

I think maybe you are thinking of Beatrice Muller. When the QE2 was retired she briefly moved over to the QM2. She nearly ran me down with her walker one afternoon at tea:p as she stormed out of the Queen's room . She disliked the QM2 and moved back to land sometime after that voyage. I believe she died last year.

It's possible. We weren't told her name. We were just a little googlyeyed at being on the QE2 and about to meet the captain at the reception and all that.

I've almost been run down by people in some of those powered wheelchairs that get left out in the corridors even though there are rules that say they're not supposed to be

I suspect that the cruises that a ship repeats over and over are the least popular among B2Bers, who are often Elite. Panama and Alaska seem to qualify there. So you are going to get lower numbers to get to the luncheon. I was #7 on my Panama Canal partial on the Island in January with 245 days (I declined the invitation).

Edited by Wehwalt

There is a post floating around now about a woman who has been living on a Crystal ship for 7 years now. That would be about 2500 days.

Yes, she is known as Mama Lee on board. When her husband died she sold her home in Fort Lauderdale and went to sea.

Here is a link to a USA Today article on Mama Lee. Prior to living on Crystal she had 89 cruises with her husband so she is now likely to have 3,500 to 4,000 days at sea, quite a feat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/01/19/woman-pays-164k-per-year-to-live-on-luxury-cruise-ship/22030011/

Wow, you gave up your slot for a great lunch. I can see skipping the cocktail party but never a lunch. ;)

I'm with you.:D

As the cocktail party is always after our early dinner, hors d'ouevres and cocktails somehow don't have the appeal of that delicious lunch. We skip the cocktail parties so someone else can go.

We started cruising back in l982. Cruised over 9 different lines over the years, never kept track of days - so have no idea how many days we have spent at sea but know we are well over 50 cruises which sounds like a lot to non cruisers.

We are elite on Princess have something like 22 cruises, still don't recall how many days? We got invited to the most frequent traveler luncheon, only once, recently on a 7 day Ruby Carribean cruise. Much to our surprise. It was quite nice since held in Sabatini's on the Ruby which is a beautiful room and very nice during day time hours.

Would guess most traveled folks don't tend to take 7 day Carribean cruises a lot, so that is why we got an invite. That year we did two back to back cruises one on Princess and one on Celebrity to keep it interesting.

Wow, you gave up your slot for a great lunch. I can see skipping the cocktail party but never a lunch. ;)

Doesn't float my boat. Part of the joy of cruising is that people don't always have the same likes and dislikes. Perfectly content to spend the hour on my balcony, which I paid for.

Edited by Wehwalt

I'm with you.:D

As the cocktail party is always after our early dinner, hors d'ouevres and cocktails somehow don't have the appeal of that delicious lunch. We skip the cocktail parties so someone else can go.

Same here. I much prefer the luncheon. You are right about the cocktail parties, dinner and the hors d'ouevres. Also if you are allergic to shellfish there isn't much to choose from on the hors d'ouevres anyway.

I was once invited to the most travelled passenger event and I was sure there had been some kind of mistake. I went, because I felt that I would probably never be invited again. I have to say that it was really nice to attend. I don't remember which cruise it was, but I think it may have been an Alaskan cruise. I don't even think I had 50 days at that point in time.

Edited by love2relax

it's not really how much time we get....it's how much we actually use each year that's low

It all adds up over the years if you keep cruising. For my last two cruises I have been in the most travelled private lunch group. If I keep cruising every year for the next 50 years which is possible then I will definitely be the most travelled one day.

There are some people that have several thousand days at sea.

Where I come from it is not unusual to be able to take 4 to 6 weeks annual leave per year and it is the same as Europe. By international standards the leave Americans get is quite low. When you come to tally up the numbers just look at where the people came from, how much leave they get per year and how old they are.

Doesn't float my boat. Part of the joy of cruising is that people don't always have the same likes and dislikes. Perfectly content to spend the hour on my balcony, which I paid for.

While there are many events that we can forgo during a cruise, we still haven't become tired of attending the MTP gatherings...yet. Maybe some day after many more cruises we'll feel the same way but for now we still consider it a privilege to be included in the top few, even if it is only a cocktail party.

We wouldn't mind being part of the Most Traveled group but we're not loyal to any one Cruise line. So that won't happen for us. Our choice. So we'll just have to applaud those that are recognized.

Edited by davekathy

We wouldn't mind being part of the Most Traveled group but we're not loyal to any one Cruise line. So that won't happen for us. Our choice. So we'll just have to applaud those that are recognized.

If we had been loyal to only Princess from the start we'd probably be at least in the top 3 for most cruises but like you we bounced around for many years. (and don't regret it)

Cruise enough and you can be part of the Most Traveled group on all of the cruise lines you use.