Most Traveled

lois1112

It is a great question and not sure anyone knows the true answer. We probably have over 1400 cruise days, but like some folks, we like variety so our cruises have been on 14 different lines. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing :). But must admit we were truly humbled one evening on a Celebrity cruise. We were doing Anytime dining and got seated with a younger couple at a 4 top. The main topic quickly turned to travel and these folks had spent nearly 2000 days on various cruise lines and visited nearly 200 countries. At the time DW and I had visited about 70 countries and probably had no more then 800 cruise days. So we simply smiled, and asked lots of questions about "best cruises" and best places. That same night we went back to the cabin and booked next year's Celebrity cruise (round trip from Buenos Aires) that spent 3 nights docked in Rio for Carnival. This was that couple's favorite cruise (and it is now one of our favorite cruises).

Over the years we have met several couples and a widow who practically lives on cruise ships. The Princess couple (well known on the old Royal Princess) was on that ship nearly 11 months a year. Another lady, we met on Cunard, also cruised nearly 11 months a year only taking a break to be with her Grandchildren over the Xmas holiday. Funny thing is that DW and I could now do that ourselves, but we have found that 100 days cruising a year is about right for us. Different stroke.......! We still love much of the world beyond cruise ships (hard to visit Prague or Budapest on an ocean cruise) but I guess when we get too old to walk we might consider spending most of the year on ships.

Hank

The winner was a single lady in a suite so with 4 days per cruise day she would always get high marks.

The fact that she was in a suite had no impact on eligibility for the MTP luncheons/cocktail parties since that is based on cruise days only. Cruise days are just that - the number of days spent on all cruises. Suites and solos get extra cruise credits in recognition of the higher costs associated with a suite and/or sailing solo. Cruise credits are an alternative criteria for the different loyalty levels and the elite OBC given at 21, 31, 41, etc. cruises (I think I have the number of cruises correct; if not someone will correct me :D) but have no bearing on the determination of who makes the MTP luncheons/cocktail parties.

I think luncheons depend on how many sea days there are Recently on Emerald we had 3 cocktail parties for the 3 week cruise ()as they counted each one separately) because there were only one sea day each week. The top 3 were the same every week about 1200 days and going down,. The winner was a single lady in a suite so with 4 days per cruise day she would always get high marks.

The single lady in the suite would only be credited with one day per day cruised.

And I have sailed with one Captain at least who never had a luncheon no matter how long the cruise. And several others who had luncheons even on a 7 day cruise.

DH and I did attend the MTP luncheon on a seven-day cruise once. It was the Grand Princess in December of 2005, out of Galveston, Texas. Our Captain was Andy Proctor and he had his wife on board for the holidays.

The only reason that I can remember this is because with only 250 days, I made the MTP. We got to sit with Captain Andy, and his wife, at the luncheon. :cool:

I've never been "#1" since, lol. ;)

I don't understand 'changed to a cocktail party'

My experience is that they bounce back and forth between party and lunch.

My last four cruises each had a lunch. (These were all in 2015)

I guess it depends on the ship. Our last 3 have been the cocktail party.

I guess it depends on the ship. Our last 3 have been the cocktail party.

Were you on the Emerald? I've been on that ship for five cruises and it has been a cocktail party every time. Last time the Captain Circle host told me it is always a cocktail party on that ship. She didn't know why and the captains come and go so it's a mystery.

The one and only time we were invited to a cocktail party it was also both my adult kids (well my DS had just turned 21) . We did not have that many days. Apparently if you travel during Hurricane Ivan, one of the biggest hurricanes in history, you don't have many of the smarter Elite cruisers on board. At that time I think I had around 97 days and my kids only had around 72 days each. All three of us had invites.

Whether it is a luncheon or Cocktail party seems to be up to the Captain, I don't think the length of the cruise really matters. (except for the short 4 days or less when its only a voucher for the alternative restaurants) From what I was told earlier this year on the Pacific Princess the MTP is now only for Elites, if there are not 20 couples (40 total) there is neither and they hand out vouchers for the specialty restaurants.

That's what happened to me . First leg was 4 days so got a voucher, second leg 6 days we had cocktail party and last 7 day leg only 33 total Elites so again a voucher. They no longer include Platnium no matter how many days to fill the tables to 40.

From what I was told earlier this year on the Pacific Princess the MTP is now only for Elites, if there are not 20 couples (40 total) there is neither and they hand out vouchers for the specialty restaurants.

I would rather they held the luncheon even with less than 40 attending instead of the restaurant vouchers.

That luncheon is special with a menu you cannot have anywhere else on the ship. It also gives the opportunity to interact with the ship's officers (as does the cocktail party).

Anybody on the ship can go to a specialty restaurant, it is only a matter of who pays for it. And on some cruises, almost all of the passengers get a free meal at a specialty restaurant due to booking amenities. Having a second free meal is no big deal.

I would rather they held the luncheon even with less than 40 attending instead of the restaurant vouchers.

I agree 100% but can see why they might not want to go to all the trouble with a small group. I doubt there are too many cruises with less than 40 overall anymore.

That luncheon is special with a menu you cannot have anywhere else on the ship. It also gives the opportunity to interact with the ship's officers (as does the cocktail party)..

I agree with you about the special menu and interaction with the ship's officers. I've had some really interesting conversations with ship officers.