PCC vs TA

Huskerchick

We have had a trusted TA for over 20 years who is now preparing to retire so we need to find a replacement.

For those who use a PCC are you happy w them and do you always use the same one? I ask because I have been contacted by 4 different HAL PCCs in the last 5 months and that makes me uneasy. I like the comfort of working w one person who knows our preferences. Does there seem to be longevity with the PCC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have had a trusted TA for over 20 years who is now preparing to retire so we need to find a replacement.

For those who use a PCC are you happy w them and do you always use the same one? I ask because I have been contacted by 4 different HAL PCCs in the last 5 months and that makes me uneasy. I like the comfort of working w one person who knows our preferences. Does there seem to be longevity with the PCC?

I'm not a big fan of the notion of using a cruise line PCC. Now that's not to say there aren't some good or even great PCCs but to me they work for the cruise line and in the end I want somebody who works for me. Personally we do quite well with our collection of two or three TAs and shop every cruise with them for the best package.

We have done both in our over 35 cruises and have settled on our HAL PCC many years ago. She may be employed by HAL she also works for us in our planning and cruise wishes. We communicate frequently about cruising and her family.

I would recommend giving it a try.

We have used the same TA for over 25 years. Our cruising days will be over before she retires.

As to a HAL PCC. Should we need to change we would find another person at the agency where our TA works. Our agency pays the fee to American Express -- thus we get $300 shipboard credit for each cruise. HAL will not do this.

When you begin working with PCC unless you want to change they will be assigned to you. Our TA who we used for over 15 yrs retired 2 yrs ago and we went with a PCC. We do not receive the extra OBC we receievd from TA BUT we have been offered upsell's on 5 out of the 7 cruises since using a PCC. I do not know how the upsell fairy works but for us it has been working since moving to a PCC.

Totally agree with Randy. A PCC is nothing more than a glorified HAL sales representative. We are able to get much better service and prices from reliable online travel agents who put our needs and requirements above those of the cruise line.

JMO, but after a couple really bad experiences with TAs, we have had the same PCC for several years now. Unlike one TA, who grudgingly gave price drops when we asked (and charged us for the privilege), our PCC congratulates us every time and is excited for us.

She works for the best deal available for us if there are any price drops after final payment. We like not having a middle man, and having just one person to contact versus waiting for a TA to get around to answering our calls or getting price drops, and having to go through a 3rd person to get anything important done.

I know we have a good one, and we appreciate her. :)

Edited by Cruising-along

We book with our PCC and get all the details taken care of with them. Details like cabin assignment, dining time, use our FCC, use our Carnival stock credit and get any goodies HAL may be offering at that time. When we are satisfied that all is settled, we transfer our booking to a large on line cruise agency. We have always gotten a lot of on board credits from them. We also purchase our cruise insurance from them. Now, if you need a lot of hand holding, this is not the way to go. I know what I want so this works for us. We communicate with the on line agency via email and they are always very prompt in responding. We feel we get the best of both worlds. I always print out my on board credits before I transfer as I can't see them after I do that.

When you begin working with PCC unless you want to change they will be assigned to you. Our TA who we used for over 15 yrs retired 2 yrs ago and we went with a PCC. We do not receive the extra OBC we receievd from TA BUT we have been offered upsell's on 5 out of the 7 cruises since using a PCC. I do not know how the upsell fairy works but for us it has been working since moving to a PCC.

Does anyone definitively know if it is true that one is more likely to be offered an upsell by a PCC vs. a TA? Anyone book with a TA that received an upsell?

The issue of TA vs PCC has been discussed many times on this board and to summarize these discussions, the clear answer is - IT DEPENDS.

If you have a great TA who gives you the service you want and offers some extras, go that way.

If your TA is basically an order taker and you seldom get an extras from them, go with a HAL PCC.

We went through three TAs before we gave up and settled on using a PCC. We have been very happy with him/her. I have ALOT more control over my booking now and it is very quick an easy to make changes, most of the time using email. Plus, we have gotten more upsell offers (and better cabin choices for the upsell) than we ever did with a TA. Plus, our PCC has gone to bat with us with HAL over an issue we had and got us some very generous credits for our troubles (and we never even asked for anything).

DaveOKC

In past use of a TA we never were offered an Upsell but usually are offered Upsells by our PCC. I think the PCC notifies the TA of Upsells and it is then up to them to contact their client.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our HAL PCC for the past seven years works on a quota system and not a commission. She has become a good friend and we do dinner/lunch whenever we are in Seattle. It is safe to say that just with referrals, she exceeds her quota each month.

She has given us several group-rate hotel packages with free transportation to the port even though we were not in a Neptune Suite. Our questions of cabin availability requires a short telephone hold as she contacts her friends in Inventory just down the hallway.

As explained to me, HAL Inventory sends upsell offers via email to passengers booked directly with HAL. The same upsell offers go to TAs, who may contact their customers. It appears that HAL directly-booked passengers may have a time advantage when only a few staterooms are available for upsell.

Others my enjoy their TA relationship just as much as we enjoy our relationship with our HAL PCC.

Edited by Crew News

Since I sail with a number of cruise lines, often on the same trip, a TA is for me the only way to go. I have gotten several upsell offers from my TA, even accepted a few.

Roy

Sounds like you have a GREAT TA!

So IYHO is it more (much more?) likely to get an upsell using a PCC???

I would say yes because there is no "middleman". Now if your TA is buddy buddy with the upsell manager dept at HAL it could be a different story.

I use a PCC now because I've had TA's that have done less than zero for me. I'm pretty OK taking responsibility for my booking and knowing what is available before I book so I couldn't care less if they are an agent for the cruise line. Not even once has any TA suggested another cruise when I went to book.

Does anyone definitively know if it is true that one is more likely to be offered an upsell by a PCC vs. a TA? Anyone book with a TA that received an upsell?

I have received an upgrade/upsell offer from my TA on almost every cruise. She does not wait for an offer to come in, but actively solicits them. Additionally, she negotiates prices of upsells with the cruise lines, important since I cruise solo.

Our HAL PCC for the past seven years works on a quota system and not a commission. She has become a good friend and we do dinner/lunch whenever we are in Seattle. It is safe to say that just with referrals, she exceeds her quota each month.

She has given us several group-rate hotel packages with free transportation to the port even though we were not in a Neptune Suite. Our questions of cabin availability for potential upsells requires a short telephone hold as she contacts her friends in Inventory just down the hallway.

Others my enjoy their TA relationship just as much as we enjoy our relationship with our HAL PCC.

This is wonderful. We are tempted to switch to a PCC like the one you have. It's hard to know which would be best because our TA can give " agency group rates" at times, and OBC, etc.

I have received an upgrade/upsell offer from my TA on almost every cruise. She does not wait for an offer to come in, but actively solicits them. Additionally, she negotiates prices of upsells with the cruise lines, important since I cruise solo.

Wish there was a way for you share contact information for your TA. In 30+ cruises we have good TA's but no unsells :(

We have only sailed with HAL (and doubt we'll change since my husband likes HAL so much!). We booked the first one on line and the 5 or six with a PCC. We changed once because the first one was promoted. Both ladies have been fantastic and we feel like we have gotten good deals, good prices, good information, and fantastic service. A couple of our trips were with large groups and they were handled seamlessly with many changes on our part. Can't say enough good things about our PCCs!

I have been using the same TA for several years and received upsell offers on all of the cruises except the one where the category was sold out.

I think it really depends upon how good your PCC is or your TA is on whether upsell offers come your way. And, of course, there is the upsell fairy, but I firmly believe that a proactive TA (or PCC) can help steer the fairy your way.

It has certainly happened in our case.