Princess Australian Tipping

Aussie One

When we were on the Dawn Princess in 2011, they did not add 15% to the drink for a tip. However, the drinks were more than 33% more expensive than on other Princess ships we have sailed. So I don't know that getting rid of the tip was a great deal.

When we were on the Dawn Princess in 2011, they did not add 15% to the drink for a tip. However, the drinks were more than 33% more expensive than on other Princess ships we have sailed. So I don't know that getting rid of the tip was a great deal.

Now thats a deal. :eek: Guess you get what you wish for.

They will configure prices to include gratuities...so it's not like the hardworking folks aren't getting their tips...it just makes it easier for cruisers who seem stymied by the tipping concept.

It's worse than that - they will configure prices to match what Australians are willing to pay and this is going to be more than US prices plus 15%; case in point the other poster sayings it's US plus 33%.

Australians (and NZers) don't bitterly complain like a person from the US when things are not right; instead they just open their wallets and thumb out the extra notes (well not even that on a ship).

Princess had to change their policy in Australia because too many Australians do not tip and it is not part of the culture. On every Princess ship I have been on there are always queues of Australians on day one at reception there to remove the auto tips. It part of our culture to pay for things up front.

I work in the transport industry and have done since leaving the RAN. I started off truck driving and have moved onto other areas including driving tourist coaches. With the later you are earning well over $70,000/year at a rate of just over $26/hour depending on where you work. With average Australian on an income like that it is easy to understand why our nation is not into tipping.

Princess had to change their policy in Australia because too many Australians do not tip and it is not part of the culture. On every Princess ship I have been on there are always queues of Australians on day one at reception there to remove the auto tips. It part of our culture to pay for things up front.

I guess they showed them huh? :eek:

Pay it now or pay it later.

Its not about showing anyone anything. Its just that Australians like everything inclusive. Princess changed their policy to suit Australian ways. Personally, I hate that you see some price, but wait there more you need to add on. Just tell me one price.

When sailing on Princess ships not sailing to and from Australia I pay the grats.

I recently travelled on Sun Princess. Now, I didn't need to tip anything extra because its included in the fare. But I did because the service I received was above and beyond. But I didn't feel I was obliged to do so.

Edited by icat2000

Its not about showing anyone anything. Its just that Australians like everything inclusive. Princess changed their policy to suit Australian ways. Personally, I hate that you see some price, but wait there more you need to add on. Just tell me one price.

When sailing on Princess ships not sailing to and from Australia I pay the grats.

I recently travelled on Sun Princess. Now, I didn't need to tip anything extra because its included in the fare. But I did because the service I received was above and beyond. But I didn't feel I was obliged to do so.

We agree wholeheartedly as this is what we do also.

I'm on a Government Benefit-Legally Blind, so an all-inclusive price is MUCH easier for me to calculate with reasonable accuracy my needed budget. I've managed to get an approximate price on most wanted souvenirs-logo shirts are guesstimated at $50, but the friend has said she'll send the money with me to get her one, she doesn't expect such an expensive gift. Does anyone know if that price is reasonable for an adult size up to 4XL Men's sizing and the price of monogrammed pens please?

I booked and paid my Deposit and International Travel Insurance on Friday-the countdown has been activated, and I'm working through the list of things to still get, it keeps getting smaller and smaller while the What To Do Onboard List keeps getting longer and longer :D

Crochetcruise :cool:

Hi Guys thank you for a lot of information but would you please answer my Questions not about potato chips and credit cards Aussie

Page 75 of my copy of CRUISING FROM AUSTRALIAN & ASIA2014-2016 states:

What is Gratuities (tipping)?

During your cruise, you will meet many members of our staff in a variety of locations as they provide you with impeccable service.

Tipping is not required or charged to your onboard account for Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Diamond Princess or Golden Princess cruises starting from and returning to Australia(Golden Princess and Diamond Princess commencing 29 September 2015. You are welcome to reward our onboard crew for exceptional service, however, tipping is not required.

For all other Princess Cruises ships, to save you the worry of who to tip and how much, a gratuity will be automatically added to your onboard account and may be adjusted or removed at your discretion, as follows USD$12 for suites and mini-suites, and USD11 for other staterooms, per guest, per day *including children).This charge will be shared amongst those staff who provide and support your cruise experience, including the wait staff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others.

What is the bar and wine charge

On all Princess Cruises Departures except Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Diamond Princess or Golden Princess cruises starting from and returning to Australia(Golden Princess and Diamond Princess commencing 29 September 2015, a 15%service charge is automatically added to any beverage purchased. This service charge is shared among the beverage staff and their support team, including cleaning and utility workers.

HTH. It did remind me of a question I would like answered by someone more experienced in these matters please.

As, because of physical Disability I will probably need to ask for help in the Buffet, would it be reasonable to give whoever assists me a couple of US dollars for their trouble. The ship is leaving from Sydney to return to the United States so my thinking is USD is the most appropriate form of currency to use. please I can get some through my local motoring organisation-I'm a member for the discounts in the Travel Shop, never learnt to drive a car! I will be filling out the cards on How Was Your Cruise, I think they're called, and will have a notebook and pen to take notes of names of people who have helped and HOW they helped me. I read somewhere on Cruise Critic that is a better help to their career, although cash is also useful.

First-time cruiser here, and thanks to advise from the Great-Uncel-In-Law of my friend who now lives in Boston, am sailing in the only Disabled Accessible Suite on the Golden Princess. The price was only about $500 extra, and while on a 2 night cruise, I might not get comprehensive use of the Suite Perks, it will be a lovely Belated 50th Birthday present to myself, and will give certainty about cruising to Tasmania for my 60th. I preferred to "test" my tolerance for the ship's movement without being stuck for a week if I couldn't safely manage!

Edited by crochetcruise
Edited for overexcited spelling!

I note princess is advertising no tipping while cruising in and out of Australia

does this mean no 15% surcharge on drinks ? does this include gratuities ?

plus are all charges in Australian Dollars thank you Aussie

There is no added gratuities when travelling on the Sun, Sea and Dawn Princess and it is AU$. The Diamond Princess still adds gratuities and it is US$, but that will cease in September this year when it officially becomes an Aussie ship and changes over to gratuities included in price and AU$.

The drinks gratuities are already added into the price of your drinks ie 15%. You will still pay them, but you just won't notice them itemised.

Edited by Billy and Charlie's Mum

As, because of physical Disability I will probably need to ask for help in the Buffet, would it be reasonable to give whoever assists me a couple of US dollars for their trouble. The ship is leaving from Sydney to return to the United States so my thinking is USD is the most appropriate form of currency to use. please I can get some through my local motoring organisation-I'm a member for the discounts in the Travel Shop, never learnt to drive a car! I will be filling out the cards on How Was Your Cruise, I think they're called, and will have a notebook and pen to take notes of names of people who have helped and HOW they helped me. I read somewhere on Cruise Critic that is a better help to their career, although cash is also

I don't think they will be expecting a tip for helping a disabled person. They will be more than glad to assist you. We recently cruised with our 18 month grandson. The crew was amazing . They went out of their way to assist any way they could. The superior level of service is one reason we cruise princess. Bob voyage.

As, because of physical Disability I will probably need to ask for help in the Buffet, would it be reasonable to give whoever assists me a couple of US dollars for their trouble. The ship is leaving from Sydney to return to the United States so my thinking is USD is the most appropriate form of currency to use. please I can get some through my local motoring organisation-I'm a member for the discounts in the Travel Shop, never learnt to drive a car! I will be filling out the cards on How Was Your Cruise, I think they're called, and will have a notebook and pen to take notes of names of people who have helped and HOW they helped me. I read somewhere on Cruise Critic that is a better help to their career, although cash is also

I don't think they will be expecting a tip for helping a disabled person. They will be more than glad to assist you. We recently cruised with our 18 month grandson. The crew was amazing . They went out of their way to assist any way they could. The superior level of service is one reason we cruise princess. Bob voyage.

Thanks joeyrancho. I'm well aware other people can get annoyed at my slowness, so I will get their names and praise them to the Company. I'd better make a note to get the cards from the Passenger Service Desk as soon as possible, so I can keep on top of the job. My friend who has cruised with Princess-Sea Princess in a Mini-Suite, says the best part is being rocked to sleep by the waves-a lovely "sleeping pill!"

There is no added gratuities when travelling on the Sun' date=' Sea and Dawn Princess and it is AU$. The Diamond Princess still adds gratuities and it is US$, but that will cease in September this year when it officially becomes an Aussie ship and changes over to gratuities included in price and AU$.

The drinks gratuities are already added into the price of your drinks ie 15%. You will still pay them, but you just won't notice them itemised.[/quote']

Correct: Previous cruises on Sun and Dawn= all inclusive price, and many drinks lower than shore-side bars! On Grand and Diamond (disembarked in Auckland on 22 Jan), 15% gratuity added on top of quoted prices.

There is no added gratuities when travelling on the Sun, Sea and Dawn Princess and it is AU$. The Diamond Princess still adds gratuities and it is US$, but that will cease in September this year when it officially becomes an Aussie ship and changes over to gratuities included in price and AU$.

I continue to see this info but we are booked on the Diamond in Feb 2016 from Sidney to Auckland. Our folio is in AUD but it continues to tell me I will have the daily hotel charge in USD. I am just confused for now.

Hi All

Sailing on Dawn Princess from Sydney to New Zealand in November 2015 - I`m very excited !!

I have paid for the cruise, pre-paid for the soda & more drinks package and have pre-paid for the gratuities (tips) - after reading an earlier comment in this thread that tips are not expected on the Dawn Princess, I have cancelled the tips

Just to clarify - tips are NOT expected on the Dawn Princess??

Plus I`m British so we dont tip as a rule (like Australians)

Could somebody also tell me if tipping is required on land in Sydney as I will be in Sydney for a week before the cruise??

The prices of drinks on the Australian-based ships did NOT go up when the 15% gratuity was removed. Even when the gratuity was being charged, the prices on Australian-based ships was much higher than on the US ships. When the tipping was removed (1st May 2011), the same drinks menus were used, but the 15% wasn't charged.

I agree with a previous poster who said that Princess charges what the market will bear. The same applies to cruise prices.:)

The prices of drinks on the Australian-based ships did NOT go up when the 15% gratuity was removed. Even when the gratuity was being charged, the prices on Australian-based ships was much higher than on the US ships. When the tipping was removed (1st May 2011), the same drinks menus were used, but the 15% wasn't charged.

I agree with a previous poster who said that Princess charges what the market will bear. The same applies to cruise prices.:)

I can see them adding it to the cruise fare. Have to recoup it some way.

The gratuities are not added on the Sun, Sea and Dawn if you are an Australian and booked in Australia. If you are from a different country and booked in that country the tips are still added daily. I know this because we are Australian and live in Australia and a couple of years ago we booked an Australian cruise with an American TA. The gratuities were added to the bill daily. When l asked why l was told it was because l booked in the US and only the Australian fares had the gratuities built in.

There is no added gratuities when travelling on the Sun' date=' Sea and Dawn Princess and it is AU$. The Diamond Princess still adds gratuities and it is US$, but that will cease in September this year when it officially becomes an Aussie ship and changes over to gratuities included in price and AU$.

I continue to see this info but we are booked on the Diamond in Feb 2016 from Sidney to Auckland. Our folio is in AUD but it continues to tell me I will have the daily hotel charge in USD. I am just confused for now.[/quote']

I believe your cruise on the Diamond is part of her Australian season. If your folio is in AUD then tipping will not apply for people who book in Australia. It looks like you are from USA, so you will have the automatic gratuity charged to your account. Personally, I don't know why this should happen, because the staff are paid at a much higher rate that includes expected tips. Dare I suggest that you can have it removed and then personally tip the staff who serve you personally. :)

Hi All

Sailing on Dawn Princess from Sydney to New Zealand in November 2015 - I`m very excited !!

I have paid for the cruise, pre-paid for the soda & more drinks package and have pre-paid for the gratuities (tips) - after reading an earlier comment in this thread that tips are not expected on the Dawn Princess, I have cancelled the tips

Could somebody also tell me if tipping is required on land in Sydney as I will be in Sydney for a week before the cruise??

You should double check about bookings made outside Australia for Dawn Princess, Sea Princess and Sun Princess. This is a real grey area I find. Its perfectly clear when you book in Australia on these ships that its included in the price but whether that applies to bookings made outside of Australia I am unsure.

Hi All

As you are from the UK, you will be charged the auto-tip on the Dawn Princess. It is up to you if you want to have it removed (see someone at the Passenger Services desk on board). You can personally tip staff who serve you.

In Australia tips are not expected except at high-class restaurants. We will often 'round-up' the fare in a taxi if we have luggage that the driver has loaded. If the fare is (say) $47, we would give the driver $50 and tell him to keep the change.

I can see them adding it to the cruise fare. Have to recoup it some way.

The difference on cruise prices between different parts on the world is 'what the market will bear'. It comes down to competition and also the economy in the country where the product is sold.

The cruise fare people pay doesn't provide enough revenue to run the ships so a bit extra doesn't make any significant difference. The cruiselines need to sell 'add-ons' - drinks, shore excursions, photographs, specialty coffee, speciality restaurants, boutiques, art, gambling etc. etc. to keep the bottom line in the black. I realize that some of these are operated by separate companies, but they wouldn't pay Princess for the privilege of operating on board the ships if they didn't make a profit.

Edited by Aus Traveller