Princess can't help with booking when a TA is involved

jbobst

Can someone explain why Princess reps won't help me when the booking was made with a travel agent? And why isn't it possible to essentially fire the travel agent and work directly with Princess (after final payment)?

We have an upcoming 4 day cruise on the Crown, and we've already had our cabin assigned (we were in a "guarantee" status). I've also read where other people also had their cabins assigned already, so I think most of the guarantee rooms are already assigned. We are just two weeks away from sailing, and it looks like there are a ton of available balcony and mini suite cabins still available. I am not looking for a free upgrade, but I simply want to PAY an upgrade fee to Princess and take advantage of a higher category of cabin since so many are available. Now keep in mind that I am perfectly happy with our current oceanview room, and since it's only a 4 day cruise, it really doesn't matter where we were, but we had a little extra discretionary income recently and I thought it would be nice to try and pay for a higher category...especially since there are so many cabins still available.

We booked this cruise through a credit card reward program, and were therefore forced to use their travel agent (well, forced if we wanted to use the points at least). However, they are not like a normal travel agent and their prices don't come anywhere close to what Princess is advertising. When I called the TA that the credit rewards company uses, their "upgrade" costs were MORE than the price of a brand new booking, so it makes no sense to pay for an upgrade with their really odd pricing structure. I called Princess directly and told them I wanted to spend more money with them and asked if they could offer me an upgrade, but she said they couldn't do it and that I have to direct this request to my TA. I asked if I could fire the TA since the booking has been paid in full for quite some time now, but she said I couldn't do that once final payment has been made.

Like I said, I am perfectly content with my current cabin, it just seems silly that Princess has no way to take my money that I am more than willing to give them. Instead, they will most likely have many open cabins and they will have less revenue. I know it was my choice to use the credit card rewards points, and I am getting a free cruise out of it, it's just frustrating when I am willing to pay the money and can't do it.

I'm pretty sure the reason is just to prevent the kind of thing you are trying to do: changing details of the booking and leaving the travel agent out of the loop. I can see all sorts of complications arising if they allowed this.

Travel agents get a commission on the booking so are expected to do all of that type of work for the commission they are getting.

When you book directly with Princess, no commission is involved and that $$$ is used to pay for the booking staff.

Having paid the commission to the TA, Princess expects your TA to make any changes associated with your booking.

This is really simple: Princess offers the TA a commission for handling the "retail" customer service. In turn, Princess doesn't need to staff a service desk for "retail" questions on those bookings, saving them money.

If they let you talk to them, they've paid TA for customer service but they'd have to service you directly. I bet the TA would love free money with no costs associated, but you've essentially paid the TA to help you. (Sadly, they aren't helping...)

I would only add that in this case, the price of using your credit card points was to use this TA, whom now you find to be less than suitable when you want to make changes to your booking. I would suggest you find a different way to spend your points in the future as well as find a better TA who will discount your bookings beyond the Princess price. I'm sorry you had to discover these things this way, but perhaps your experience will enlighten others about the cost of using these so-called 'free' points for travel.

You are after final payment so you can't "fire" your TA. If it were before final payment, you would be able to fax a letter to Princess letting them know that you are no longer using that TA. But once everything's been paid, they can't do it.

I'd contact the TA and let them know you want to upgrade yourself. That can be done after final payment.

In the future, I'd use a different TA. One who discounts and is responsive.

Also it was a rewards booking, essentially discounted already. Thats how they make money when you want to upgrade. They get certain rooms blocked for rewards travel. Just like airline rewards have certain number of seats per plane.

I'm pretty sure the reason is just to prevent the kind of thing you are trying to do: changing details of the booking and leaving the travel agent out of the loop. I can see all sorts of complications arising if they allowed this.

I absolutely want to leave them out of the loop, since they aren't willing to help me (at least help in a reasonable manner) and they could care less anyway. In this case, the TA is some nameless, faceless entity who handles bookings for a credit card reward program. I just want to give Princess more money (for a higher room category), and there isn't a method to do this. With a normal TA, I can somewhat understand the rules, but it seems to me that if I (as a customer) am not happy with services provided, there should be a way to go directly to the company and deal with them.

I understand it's my choice to use these "free" points and unfortunately my only option is to be forced into a specific TA which is not even a normal TA. I happen to stumble on to the fact I even had points. This is a credit card I have had for years. I don't even use this card any longer, but when I found there were a ton of points on it, I figured I'd use them for the free cruise. All I am asking Princess to do is to take my money and push a few buttons on their computer screen to switch from one cabin to another...that's it!

I know there is no way around this, and this is price I have to pay for using these reward points, but it's just frustrating that there is absolutly no flexibly in these rules. I am not looking for a free upgrade... I just want to pay the additional cost of the higher category room. I have money to spend, but can't do it in this case.

I absolutely want to leave them out of the loop

You can't. They were a condition of your getting the cruise. Points programs always come with some sort of caveat. Have you viewed the terms of service to see if anything is amiss?

They did offer you upgrades at an additional rate which you didn't want to pay.

Their so called "upgrade" price was more than a new booking rate. So, I could upgrade with them, pay more than it would cost me to book the same room directly with Princess (or with any other TA) AND I would have lost all my credit card points. How is that an upgrade rate??? Would anyone in their right mind pay that?

Please don't make it sound like I just wasn't happy with their upgrade offer. It was no "offer" at all.

I am perfectly content with my current cabin, it just seems silly that Princess has no way to take my money that I am more than willing to give them. Instead, they will most likely have many open cabins and they will have less revenue. I know it was my choice to use the credit card rewards points, and I am getting a free cruise out of it, it's just frustrating when I am willing to pay the money and can't do it.

Why not book another cruise?? Great way to spend that "found" $$.;)

Their so called "upgrade" price was more than a new booking rate. So, I could upgrade with them, pay more than it would cost me to book the same room directly with Princess (or with any other TA) AND I would have lost all my credit card points. How is that an upgrade rate??? Would anyone in their right mind pay that?

Please don't make it sound like I just wasn't happy with their upgrade offer. It was no "offer" at all.

But you took the rewards offer, so now your stuck with it. Not just looking a gift horse in the mouth, now your looking up the other end now. All rewards offers have strings attached somewhere or another. If it is change or upgrade fees.

I'll put it in more legal terms. TA's 'contract' with Princess. This contract can take different forms, from commission only on bookings to consolidator contracts that spell out in detail what cabins can be sold, etc.

Part of the terms of that contract is the stipulation that Princess will not interfere with a TA booking, or vice versa. Regardless of the reason, its a legal contract requirement.

As far as upgrade, two notes - one, as a general rule Princess upgrades based on price on booking date, not current price. The current price is probably a sale for new bookings only, which means the booking would have to be cancelled by the current TA and the funds applied to the new booking.

Secondly, and more specific to your case, the point provider did not pay booking price for the cruise in most cases, they pay a discount price per the above contract. Which means, if you want to upgrade sans the TA, you will pay the difference between actual price paid and new price, which can also lead to a higher differential.

If Princess could just yank bookings away from TAs, no TA would work with them for fear of losing commission.

Can someone explain why Princess reps won't help me when the booking was made with a travel agent? And why isn't it possible to essentially fire the travel agent and work directly with Princess (after final payment)?

We have an upcoming 4 day cruise on the Crown, and we've already had our cabin assigned (we were in a "guarantee" status). I've also read where other people also had their cabins assigned already, so I think most of the guarantee rooms are already assigned. We are just two weeks away from sailing, and it looks like there are a ton of available balcony and mini suite cabins still available. I am not looking for a free upgrade, but I simply want to PAY an upgrade fee to Princess and take advantage of a higher category of cabin since so many are available. Now keep in mind that I am perfectly happy with our current oceanview room, and since it's only a 4 day cruise, it really doesn't matter where we were, but we had a little extra discretionary income recently and I thought it would be nice to try and pay for a higher category...especially since there are so many cabins still available.

We booked this cruise through a credit card reward program, and were therefore forced to use their travel agent (well, forced if we wanted to use the points at least). However, they are not like a normal travel agent and their prices don't come anywhere close to what Princess is advertising. When I called the TA that the credit rewards company uses, their "upgrade" costs were MORE than the price of a brand new booking, so it makes no sense to pay for an upgrade with their really odd pricing structure. I called Princess directly and told them I wanted to spend more money with them and asked if they could offer me an upgrade, but she said they couldn't do it and that I have to direct this request to my TA. I asked if I could fire the TA since the booking has been paid in full for quite some time now, but she said I couldn't do that once final payment has been made.

Like I said, I am perfectly content with my current cabin, it just seems silly that Princess has no way to take my money that I am more than willing to give them. Instead, they will most likely have many open cabins and they will have less revenue. I know it was my choice to use the credit card rewards points, and I am getting a free cruise out of it, it's just frustrating when I am willing to pay the money and can't do it.

The only benefit of hiring a TA that I have experienced is a 12% dicount of the "cruise only" portion of the cruise with Princess!Additionally,waive ALL CONTROL of booking!Unless the cruise is 'high dollar' it may not be worth giving it to a TA!On occasions when I did use a TA,I continually contacted TA to perform requests including price reductions....TAs are monitoring many many many reservations.If you want to have immediate access to your vacation,its east to be your own TA!!:)

I think if you have never cruised, you may want to use a TA. I did for years. Now I book directly with the cruise lines. I love to be able to call them and ask them questions about my booking without having to call and ask my TA. I usually had to wait for a long time for him to finally get back to me. He also made several mistakes that almost cost me a free cruise. When our cruise was cancelled at the last minute, Celebrity gave us our money back and a free cruise to the Caribbean! When I heard,on Cruise Critic, that other passengers on our cancelled cruise had been offered this, I called and asked my TA why he didn't tell us this was offered to us. He said they were only offering a balcony cabin and he thought we would want a suite! We had booked a suite on the same sailing. REALLY. Last time we used a TA.

Edited by LovetheSea

Since it's after the final payment date, the bargains you're seeing on the Princess website are probably for new bookings only. The price your TA is quoting is probably the price he or she is getting from Princess. It's probably the same for anyone else on your sailing who wants to move up to a balcony cabin from the category you're currently in.

I'll put it in more legal terms. TA's 'contract' with Princess. This contract can take different forms, from commission only on bookings to consolidator contracts that spell out in detail what cabins can be sold, etc.

Part of the terms of that contract is the stipulation that Princess will not interfere with a TA booking, or vice versa. Regardless of the reason, its a legal contract requirement.

As far as upgrade, two notes - one, as a general rule Princess upgrades based on price on booking date, not current price. The current price is probably a sale for new bookings only, which means the booking would have to be cancelled by the current TA and the funds applied to the new booking.

Secondly, and more specific to your case, the point provider did not pay booking price for the cruise in most cases, they pay a discount price per the above contract. Which means, if you want to upgrade sans the TA, you will pay the difference between actual price paid and new price, which can also lead to a higher differential.

If Princess could just yank bookings away from TAs, no TA would work with them for fear of losing commission.

Princess can and will pull a booking from a TA at your request if you have a legitimate reason. I did it a few years ago...lost some money but so did the TA.

Do all my own bookings now ,can call princess any time I like to get price drops ,moves...

Lets face it who cares more about my price drops the TA or me.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Pricing shown after final payment is quite often lower than the price people booked at initially. It's normal. It's not the fault of your TA. People who are retired or who are able to travel at the drop of a hat often snag wonderful pricing after final payment date. They wait to see if there is a large price drop after the final payment date and then book.

Since it's after the final payment date, the bargains you're seeing on the Princess website are probably for new bookings only. The price your TA is quoting is probably the price he or she is getting from Princess. It's probably the same for anyone else on your sailing who wants to move up to a balcony cabin from the category you're currently in.

Pricing shown after final payment is quite often lower than the price people booked at initially. It's normal. It's not the fault of your TA.

OP booked with points, not with cash. TA is quoting in additional points.

There may not be any correlation between the magic number of points needed to book or change the cruise and the actual cost of the cruise to the TA.

Pricing shown after final payment is quite often lower than the price people booked at initially. It's normal. It's not the fault of your TA. People who are retired or who are able to travel at the drop of a hat often snag wonderful pricing after final payment date. They wait to see if there is a large price drop after the final payment date and then book.

As the previous person mentioned, this booking is not a normal TA booking. This is from a credit card reward point program. When I first booked the cruise with them in February, the "public" price on Princess.com was about the same as it is today, so I am not trying to take advantage of some sale price now that wasn't available then. It's just that the reward program price was not even close to what I could have bought the cruise for on Princess or with another TA. I had to search through many cruises and different cabin categories to even find one that made sense to spend the points on. For example, the credit card rewards "TA" had crazy high prices AND wanted all the points and it just didn't make sense for most longer cruises and higher category cabins. But for this 4 day cruise and for inside and oceanview cabins, it actually did make sense. They just have a very different pricing structure than normal TA's.

For example, if I had wanted a mini-suite cabin for the 4 day cruise, the credit card TA not only wanted me to cash in my 60,000 points, but they also wanted to charge me an additional $800. I could have booked directly with Princess for the same mini suite and paid the $800, had more OBC, and still had all my points to buy something else with. But for an inside or ocean view cabin, my 60,000 points gave me a free cruise for some reason. So, since this TA is so astronomical in price for balcony and mini suite cabins, I was just hoping to pay a normal upgrade fee directly with Princess.

Again, I understand a normal TA booking and the rules that have to be followed. The difference is, this TA (and it's not really a TA in the normal sense) just doesn't have any interest in me as a customer since I used reward points. The TA prices are FAR more expensive than Princess today AND back when I booked the cruise in November. The lesson learned is (in this particular case at least) reward points really limit you and don't have equal value in some cases.

We now use the Princess Visa to collect points and that allows us to book our own cruise however we want. Much better system.

As the previous person mentioned, this booking is not a normal TA booking. This is from a credit card reward point program. When I first booked the cruise with them in February, the "public" price on Princess.com was about the same as it is today, so I am not trying to take advantage of some sale price now that wasn't available then. It's just that the reward program price was not even close to what I could have bought the cruise for on Princess or with another TA. I had to search through many cruises and different cabin categories to even find one that made sense to spend the points on. For example, the credit card rewards "TA" had crazy high prices AND wanted all the points and it just didn't make sense for most longer cruises and higher category cabins. But for this 4 day cruise and for inside and oceanview cabins, it actually did make sense. They just have a very different pricing structure than normal TA's.

For example, if I had wanted a mini-suite cabin for the 4 day cruise, the credit card TA not only wanted me to cash in my 60,000 points, but they also wanted to charge me an additional $800. I could have booked directly with Princess for the same mini suite and paid the $800, had more OBC, and still had all my points to buy something else with. But for an inside or ocean view cabin, my 60,000 points gave me a free cruise for some reason. So, since this TA is so astronomical in price for balcony and mini suite cabins, I was just hoping to pay a normal upgrade fee directly with Princess.

Again, I understand a normal TA booking and the rules that have to be followed. The difference is, this TA (and it's not really a TA in the normal sense) just doesn't have any interest in me as a customer since I used reward points. The TA prices are FAR more expensive than Princess today AND back when I booked the cruise in November. The lesson learned is (in this particular case at least) reward points really limit you and don't have equal value in some cases.

We now use the Princess Visa to collect points and that allows us to book our own cruise however we want. Much better system.

I appreciate your sharing this with me. I think I may have looked at that credit card company when I re-evaluated my cards. I choose some one else since I was concerned about whether i would save money with them.

Ultimately, I decided to avoid all points cards and go with cash back cards. After all, cash can be combined with all offers and promotions and is taken by any cruise line.

Mostly I use my Sam's master card for cruises since it pays 3% back on travel including hotels, cruises, and restaurants. 5% on gas.

I appreciate your sharing this with me. I think I may have looked at that credit card company when I re-evaluated my cards. I choose some one else since I was concerned about whether i would save money with them.

Ultimately, I decided to avoid all points cards and go with cash back cards. After all, cash can be combined with all offers and promotions and is taken by any cruise line.

Mostly I use my Sam's master card for cruises since it pays 3% back on travel including hotels, cruises, and restaurants. 5% on gas.

Yes, but with the Sam's MasterCard you may have to wait up to a year to collect the cash back. Cash back earned the year before comes in a check with the February statement. And, even more insulting, you have to cash the check at a Sam's Club. I guess they think you will be dumb enough to spend all the cash there.

We use cash back cards from Citibank and Discover that allow us to ask for a check at anytime, spend the credits on Amazon or request a statement credit at anytime.

I am not about to wait for a year to get my cash back - alot can happen in the year. My father in law had one of the Sam's cards and he in died September. They were contacted by the Executor to close the account and he asked that the cash back check be sent to the Estate of -----, even if they had to wait to Feb to get it. They would not send the cash back check earned up until the date of death to his estate, so essentially his cash back for 9 months of spending was ZERO. All the other credit cards he had applied any cash back credits to his final balance.

When you have a disagreement with a TA, instead of bashing them here, ask for a 3 way call between you, the cruise line and the TA. They you can hash it out and get the explanation from the cruise line or TA as to why they can't do what you ask. We had a situation several years ago on a regular booking where there was a huge price drop BEFORE final payment and the agency would not refare it. During the phone conversation the cruise line rep said we were entitled to it and told the agent to take care of it immediately. He told Princess he would not, so at my request during the phone conversation they pulled the booking from him and re-fared it while I was on the phone. I found out later that he got a letter from the cruise line essentially warning him that they would pull his right to book with him if they had any more complaints.

But, in this case since it is a booking with points it has different rules and as others have said the prices after final payment are usually for new booking only. Spend the money on another cruise, booked with someone else of course!

Edited by DebJ14

Yes, but with the Sam's MasterCard you may have to wait up to a year to collect the cash back. Cash back earned the year before comes in a check with the February statement. And, even more insulting, you have to cash the check at a Sam's Club. I guess they think you will be dumb enough to spend all the cash there.

I am not about to wait for a year to get my cash back - alot can happen in the year. My father in law had one of the Sam's cards and he in died September. They were contacted by the Executor to close the account and he asked that the cash back check be sent to the Estate of -----, even if they had to wait to Feb to get it. They would not send the cash back check earned up until the date of death to his estate, so essentially his cash back for 9 months of spending was ZERO. All the other credit cards he had applied any cash back credits to his final balance.

To each his own. I have no idea why you'd feel insulted by having to go to Sams' to cash your check. Works fine for us. We've got a cruise scheduled for March so getting a check for several hundred dollars in February works quite well for us.

Sorry to hear about your father in law. BTW, I'm guessing the Executor closed the account shortly following his death. Both Costco and Sam's do require you to maintain the membership for the full year to get the rewards. It's very possible that had he waited until the anniversary date, the Executor could have secured the rewards for you.