earliest flight out of FLL

lescas

Princess advises no earlier than 4 hours after docking time. If you select your cruise on Princess web page and click on purple flight option tab it will tell you ..after filling in your information....not to pick any flights earlier than.....

8:35 would be fine IF it is the day after your cruise ends.

Ships usually arrive at FLL between 7 and 8 am. Although the port is close to the airport, you would have little chance of making a flight that early. If you book it, make sure you have back up plans. Many days the flights are all booked mostly with disembarking cruise passengers, so seats on later flights are scarce.

As noted above there have been many many discussions on this topic..

Here's my FAQ entry on the subject as well:

Can I Make my XX:XX Flight?

This question comes up a lot and the safe answer is:

If you have to ask? No.

Most disembarkation ports have a suggested earliest flight time for a reason (and most lines will not provide transfers for departures prior to that). Those times are suggested for a reason, to allow for not only the expected challenges of arrival and disembarkation but also to provide a safety cushion.

Unfortunately, the airlines know this and price flights from those port cities accordingly. So sometimes you do have to consider an earlier flight (note – later flights might be cheaper as well, always consider that option if it fits your plans. There is no such thing as too much time to get to the airport.

If you do want to take a flight before the suggested times, there are a number of things to consider:

• How much luggage do you have? Princess offers a self-debarkation option. These passengers are often first off the ship giving you the best shot at an early flight. Passengers choosing this option MUST be able to handle ALL of their own luggage WITHOUT assistance and possibly with limited access to elevators. This option can greatly increase flight flexibility.
  • How many ships will be arriving the same day as yours? How big? – The number of ships in port will affect the time it takes to clear customs, availability of taxis, congestion at port gates, etc. As an example, if the Island Princess is the only ship in port, I would be much more comfortable about an early flight than say if the Royal was porting at the same time as the Allure of the Seas and perhaps the Ruby as well. The more ships, the more possibility of issues arising.
  • What port? – Some ports are noted for customs delays, traffic issues, etc. Identify where the airline is in relation to the port and how you get there. Ft. Lauderdale is relatively close to the airport and on a fairly fast-travel route. San Francisco is in another city along one of the worst highways in the country for congestion.
  • What day/time are you arriving? Rush hour on a Tuesday or before dawn on a Saturday?
  • Transport? Planning on a taxi or car service? Car services provide the advantage of a guaranteed waiting vehicle, at a higher cost.
  • Finally, what is Plan B? Are there later flights you can hope to get on (at possibly some expense) if you miss yours? Remember, flights are closer to full than ever, there may not be any seats the rest of the day.

So, should you book that early flight? Thinking on all the factors above, look at the time your ship is scheduled to arrive. Remember, the ship itself has to clear customs itself before disembarkation can begin. Think about all of the factors above and make your best guess when you could get off the ship and clear customs. Estimate travel time to the airport and time to check in and clear security. Then, add an hour at least to allow for any issues/delays. If your flight is after that, MAYBE you can make it.

Or, as I noted above, book the later flight. It’s vacation, do you really want to spend the last day stressing about air travel?

This entry was posted in Disembarkation on January 6, 2014.

What would be the earliest time to book a flight leaving from FLL. We have an 8:35 option? I know that close but the next one is OW $254.00 and up.

You need to be at the airport 90 min. pre flight time. You would be foolish to book this flight. Listen to those using FLL regularly. ;) Having seen what that airport looks like and offers, we know that flight would not be possible.

Early flights out of port cities are always offered cheaper. Tempting, but not realistic. Why not stay a night and take that flight the next day? For the cost of the flight change, a hotel and more time in Fort L would be my choice.:D

You will find more of the same advice from regulars on the Florida Departures board.

Edited by eandj

We did self-debarkation off the Grand a while back. The ship docked at 7AM. We were one of the first off the ship and went straight into a cab. We hit the airport at 8:10AM. I cannot imagine being able to get there much before we were able to. Since most airlines end check-in 30 minutes before a flight's schedule departure, I would put the odds of making an 8:35 flight as very improbable.

What would be the earliest time to book a flight leaving from FLL. We have an 8:35 option? I know that close but the next one is OW $254.00 and up.
There's a reason why the earlier flight is cheaper: cruise passengers can't make it. You won't either.

I would never, ever book a flight earlier than 11am from FLL. I've been on too many cruises when disembarkation started late (a couple of times after 9am), there were only two Immigration officers, huge crowds of people literally fighting for taxis, etc. Absolutely not worth the stress and aggravation.

We regularly take a 9:30 flight and walk off with the first walk off group.

8:30 is too early, I know of one person that made it but its highly improbable. Any early flight make sure you have a back up plan.

Colo Cruiser, No disrespect. You have had some very good luck with a 9:30 flight.

In 2013 we were slowly moving through the security lines when a security officer asked how everyone was doing? One gentleman asked how much longer it would be to get through security because he had a 9:30 flight. It was 9 o'clock and and we were only half way through the roped off area. Security pulled the family out of line and rushed them through.

We have enjoyed many a cruise out of FLL! Your quite a gambler attempting to catch a flight before 11:30
When I lived in the Boston area, I booked flights leaving at around 11:20am. Never had a problem even when disembarkation didn't start until 9:30am one time.

There's a reason why the earlier flight is cheaper: cruise passengers can't make it. You won't either.

I would never, ever book a flight earlier than 11am from FLL. I've been on too many cruises when disembarkation started late (a couple of times after 9am), there were only two Immigration officers, huge crowds of people literally fighting for taxis, etc. Absolutely not worth the stress and aggravation.

Some good points Pam.

Something else to think about. Not just the size of your ship and how many people are trying to get through customs and get some kind of transportation but how many other ships in port that morning all disembarking in or around the same time. Our cruise this March (if I did my homework correctly) there will be 8 ships in port and 7 due to arrive around 7am. I can only imagine how chaotic the port will be with all those people trying to get from the port to their next destination.

Colo Cruiser, No disrespect. You have had some very good luck with a 9:30 flight.

Have been doing it for 10 plus years, I think luck was out of the equation a long time ago.

We do have a backup plan though. If we are delayed we are delayed, not the end of the world. If we have to spend the night, again no problem. ;)

Not everyone is disembarking early.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Have been doing it for 10 plus years, I think luck was out of the equation a long time ago.

We do have a backup plan though. If we are delayed we are delayed, not the end of the world. If we have to spend the night, again no problem. ;)

Not everyone is disembarking early.

Have you tried playing the lottery? :D It's always nice to have a back-up plan. We learned early on to fly in the day before. Normally we would get a flight home around 11 or later. This cruise coming up we decided fly home the next day.

One thing I've done when later flights were too expensive is check out flights the following day. Many times we've been able to stay a night in Fort Lauderdale after a cruise and then fly back the next day for less than it would have cost to fly back the day the cruise ended.

The earliest I've ever booked was 10:30, which we made with time to spare.

In December we booked a late-afternoon flight from FLL back to the Left Coast. By that hour, the demand for seats from disembarking passengers was down and the flight was as cheap as an early-morning departure.

.Yeah, even though we waited till the bitter end to get off the ship, we did have a nice long wait at the airport. Read a book, ate a Steak and Shake burger, and saved a few hundred bucks...even taking into account the cost of the hamburger. We've also booked an MIA departure and, thrifty souls that we are, took TriRail down to the Miami airport, which was easy (though maybe not for everyone).

Regardless, I'd rather be bored for a few hours waiting for a plane than sweating with anxiety at the end of an otherwise lovely cruise.

You can also pump some of the savings back into a nice lounge day pass..

In December we booked a late-afternoon flight from FLL back to the Left Coast. By that hour, the demand for seats from disembarking passengers was down and the flight was as cheap as an early-morning departure.

.Yeah, even though we waited till the bitter end to get off the ship, we did have a nice long wait at the airport. Read a book, ate a Steak and Shake burger, and saved a few hundred bucks...even taking into account the cost of the hamburger. We've also booked an MIA departure and, thrifty souls that we are, took TriRail down to the Miami airport, which was easy (though maybe not for everyone).

Regardless, I'd rather be bored for a few hours waiting for a plane than sweating with anxiety at the end of an otherwise lovely cruise.

In 2013 we were slowly moving through the security lines when a security officer asked how everyone was doing? One gentleman asked how much longer it would be to get through security because he had a 9:30 flight. It was 9 o'clock and and we were only half way through the roped off area. Security pulled the family out of line and rushed them through.

The guy should not have been moved ahead of everyone else. He picked the flight - he should suffer the consequences.

DON

The guy should not have been moved ahead of everyone else. He picked the flight - he should suffer the consequences.

You are assuming that that guy came off of a cruise ship or that it was poor planning on his part. That may not have been the case.

I once had to make a connection in Miami with 90 minutes between flights. (Would have been an hour longer, but airline changed the flights I had been ticketed for.)

Getting through immigration and customs was quick. Just had to get to the gate for my next flight after going through security.

o Terminal monitors were not working, frozen with information from five hours earlier. Unable to find what gate to go to. Wasted 15 minutes getting to the airline's check-in counter and finding out which gate so I could go to correct terminal.

o Still had 45 minutes until flight time when reaching the correct TSA line. Line was very long and barely moving.

o With 30 minutes to go, I asked TSA agent to let us get to the head of the line. TSA agent said "no" and claimed the line was moving quickly (which it was not).

o With 10 minutes to go, airline was paging me by name. TSA agent would still not let us get to front of line.

o With about 2 minutes left, made it to front of line, stuck behind someone who did not understand that perfume bottle purchased at a duty free shop in another country could not be taken past security in USA.

o With 0 minutes left made it past security and without putting shoes back on, ran to the gate which was the furthest one possible from the TSA checkpoint.

o Of course the gate had closed by then. Five hours later I was on the next plane to my destination.

I would have loved it if TSA had moved me up as none of this was poor planning on my part.

Once again we just recently took an early flight from FLL which we have been doing for years. We did first walk off and were at the airport before 7am, through security and at our gate shortly thereafter. We had more than enough time for our 948am flight. This was on a Sunday and there were 7 ships in port. We have the same flight booked after our upcoming cruise in March. We have done and made this flight ( or one very close to this time) more times than I can count. We do have a back up plan and if we are ever forced to stay in Florida a day or two extra, the amount of money we have already saved is well worth it. I am sure that sooner or later it will happen. We've been doing it since 1999 and hasn't happened yet, though.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

Once again we just recently took an early flight from FLL which we have been doing for years. We did first walk off and were at the airport before 7am, through security and at our gate shortly thereafter.

Easy to do when your ship is scheduled to arrive at 6 AM.

Much harder to be at the airport by 7 when your ship is scheduled to dock at 7 AM.