Upgrade Dilemma

We've never had an interior before but for this trip decided that since we've never really spent much time in the stateroom and there is so much to see and do on the Allure...we'd give it a try.

Enter the dilemma....

I get an email offering an upgrade from the interior to an OceanView. I call and for $140 total I can switch from the interior I picked (in a location I wanted) to a Guarantee OV, which of course could be anywhere.

My first reaction is no, too much risk but am I being short sighted?

Thanks for your thoughts.

If it were me I'd do the upgrade just to have more natural light in the room and be able to see outside. But, I'm not that picky about where the rooms are located. I don't think you can go wrong either way. The Oasis class ships are a wonderful destination.

Still, $140 is $140 so it's a tough decision. You could stay on the inside and use this as an excuse to do a great specialty dinner one of the nights convincing yourself that you saved the money anyway...

:)

Tom

Cruise Critic really needs a "Like" button.

:)

Tom

I would have jumped at it. I always choose midship cabins because I'm prone to seasickness BUT when a really good deal for a better cabin as a guarantee comes along, I go for it & take the meds!

We've never had an interior before but for this trip decided that since we've never really spent much time in the stateroom and there is so much to see and do on the Allure...we'd give it a try.

Enter the dilemma....

I get an email offering an upgrade from the interior to an OceanView. I call and for $140 total I can switch from the interior I picked (in a location I wanted) to a Guarantee OV, which of course could be anywhere.

On Allure... for me personally not a chance. I would not want to be on deck 3 on that size of a ship at the very rear or very front. Personally I'd value the location of a higher deck mid-ship close to the elevators on Oasis Class. $140 pays for all your grats or look at it as a paid excursion at one of your ports. Just my 2 cents.

Have a great cruise! :D

I would do it also...How much worse can it get than an inside (dark walkin closet) regardless of where the location is...once you shut that cabin door you really won't be able to tell the difference.

Look at the least expensive category, worst location OV. Don't just go by what is showing as available at this time, but look at the full OV cabin chart.

If you would be happy in that cabin, then go for it.

Now - if you get a cabin location you don't like, you may be able to switch it to another in the SAME category.

Another option is to look for an OV cabin you like and see how much that change would cost. It may not be much more than the guarantee.

good luck,

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Enter the dilemma....

Not sure if this is how Guartantee works, but if you search on your cruise, the Ocean Views are on deck 3 so are you ok being that low? (Some may prefer it due to feeling the ship less). Also, at the moment, it only shows 3 OV left mid ship. Not sure if this includes one that they would offer you or not. These are listed as "Deal" so you can compare the cost with what they are offering you.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, But I would also like some advice/opinions.

We have a JS on Rhapsody next month. It is after final payment.

A RFS has become available, and I was able to put a hold on it, even though there are only two of us. I know they are released after final payment when they are not sold. I have done this 4 times previously.

The upgrade price is just under $1k, the price is not an issue, as this is half the price I have paid previously.

When I rang RCI, they would not honour it. I know it is for new booking only, but why am I able to put a hold on it if they will not honour it? They wanted an extra $5k.:eek:

I could take the hold and pay for it, and cancel the original booking. I don't mind the 7-10 days they say it will take for the refund to go back to my CC.

What am I risking. Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any replies.

Edited by Aussie FF

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, But I would also like some advice/opinions.

We have a JS on Rhapsody next month. It is after final payment.

A RFS has become available, and I was able to put a hold on it, even though there are only two of us. I know they are released after final payment when they are not sold. I have done this 4 times previously.

The upgrade price is just under $1k, the price is not an issue, as this is half the price I have paid previously.

When I rang RCI, they would not honour it. I know it is for new booking only, but why am I able to put a hold on it if they will not honour it? They wanted an extra $5k.:eek:

I could take the hold and pay for it, and cancel the original booking. I don't mind the 7-10 days they say it will take for the refund to go back to my CC.

Thanks for any replies.

I would try negotiating it with resolutions first, it's ridiculous that they won't honour it.

Look at the least expensive category, worst location OV. Don't just go by what is showing as available at this time, but look at the full OV cabin chart.

If you would be happy in that cabin, then go for it.

Now - if you get a cabin location you don't like, you may be able to switch it to another in the SAME category.

This would be my advice. Look at the whole inventory picture - would you be happy with any or the worst of OVs left? If there are a lot of OVs then you are in a better position since you can move once you get an assignment.

OTOH, if the inventory is really low on OVs, you may luck into a balcony if a lot of people jump at the upgrade offer and they run out of OVs.

Look to see if this sailing is on the Tuesday special - that will give you an indication which categories RCI is trying to unload.

And as always, you can wait and deal with them some more.

Edited by Biker19

Enter the dilemma....

I would take the upgrade for free. However I would not pay.

Thanks for any replies.

I would also call and ask to speak to resolutions. This happened to me when I wanted to upgrade from an inside to a balcony. The first few people said 'new bookings only' but I kept reminding them that I was paying more money.

Finally someone (not resolutions actually) got on the phone who did the upgrade for me with no problems.

I think I called back a few times to get different people. Note that you may lose any OBC or extras that you had with your first cabin. I lost my obc.

ps also ask them 'what is the final price I will pay' before they actually make the change. They had wrong amounts a couple of times. Who knows what goes on over there.

Edited by marci22