Jim & Kat on Navigator: our 1st cruise --commentary & thoughts

OctoberKat

This is Jim's first cruise. Born and raised in Panama, our family cruised often in the 1950s and 1960s as a method of transportation, out of New York and later out of New Orleans, into Cristobal (and the reverse) aboard the now defunct Panama Line. My last cruise of that series was in 1969. It's been a while for me and liners are very much changed, for the better. So, yes, we're newbies ... and not since my first cruise was in 1950.

Jim is turning out to be a very good sailor and I always have been one such ... so it would be apposite to say we'll be doing more of this. We've another cruise booked on Silversea in November Barbados-Amazon-Barbados; in August 2016 we're on Azamara Quest bound out of Amsterdam for the Norwegian fjords and more (Hiya, rallydave!). This July we're doing a different sort of cruise, very slow motion, aboard the barge Belmond Amaryllis through the canals of Burgundy, yippee. It's a Grand Crus cruise (so to speak) so I'd better start prepping my palate.

Speaking of wine, the tipple aboard Navigator has been decent and more, I've been satisfied in the main. When I want a treat, we invest in a lush St. Emillion for only $65 (yay duty free). The champers in the suite as we came aboard was The Widow, a favorable impression that made.

Coffee has taken a turn for the worse, regret to say. It does seem to be an issue of note.

More later.

Awww, "the widow'........my favorite. Almost reason enough to book a suite! have a sip for me.....mmmmmmm!

Interesting that you are going from our least favorite Regent ship to our favorite (overall) ship -- the Silver Whisper. Typically the first luxury cruise ship you sail on is your favorite -- it will be interesting to learn your thoughts on the Whisper. It is the same approximate size as the Navigator -- close to the same age. Other than that, there is simply no comparison. Assume you will be in the top suite which is in a good location. As you know, you will receive included laundry -- a big perk for first time customers to a cruise line.

fizzy: Reviews are typically quite different - depending upon the reviewers experience with cruising. I read most reviews and find similarities between first time luxury cruisers (but have sailed on other cruise lines), first time Regent cruisers with no prior luxury experience, etc. It is for that reason that I find it helpful to know a posters cruising background when reading a review. For me, the more transparency - the better. Obviously people reading my reviews can see that our background is 90% Regent and may question objectivity when it comes my reviews of Silversea or Oceania (even though I attempt to be objective).

Octoberkat's first cruise in a long time and first luxury cruise compared to her second luxury cruise should be particularly interesting since they are so close together - and in top suites. Not sure how Azamara fits in. She gets good reviews but is usually compared to Oceania or other premium cruise lines.

In any case, as stated previously, we particularly enjoy reading newbie reviews.

OctoberKat,

Your updates continue to provide good reading. I have not heard of that champagne.It is not one I have seen here in Scotland.

The coffee always seems to be poor on board.Have you tried a coffee in the Navigator bar? It's always very good in there and a wide variety to try.

Your future cruises sound wonderful and will be again good to read your opinion.

Continue to relax and enjoy.

Cheers from very cold and wintry Scotland.

Jean.

OctoberKat,

. I have not heard of that champagne.It is not one I have seen here in

Jean.

Jean, I believe the champagne being referred to is Veuve Clicquot, not sure if the regular stuff or La Grande Dame, their better offering. Veuve isn't some niche tipple, it is widely available, and is most definitely available in Scotland and I would bet that you're familiar with it.

Edited by Isklaar

I am one of those sailors who prefers the wind in the mast which is to sailing upon the sea rather tan being docked or anchored in port. Entirely adore being at sea. So I shall be looking for the more long haul sailings but would prefer not to have to fly to the ends of the earth one way or the other to do so.

Veuve Clicquot is only provided to guests in upper suites on Regent. Unless you make a special request, your second bottle will be a lesser brand. Veuve Clicquot is available for sale on board for $69. If you book and pay for a cruise on Silversea, using your "branded" Amex Platinum card, you receive a bottle of Dom Perignon. This can be used to book any suite and is in addition to the OBC that Amex gives.

Yikes, Dom, no thanks. Give me the Veuve any day, it's more becoming to my palate, despite the overblown rep of the former.

We also prefer Veuve but don't look a gift horse............... We shared our Amex benefit with two other couples on Silversea and dined in Le Champagne (their specialty restaurant with a cost involved). For some reason the Dom tasted really good under these circumstances. Perhaps it was simply the effect of three bottles of Dom on six of us. It was really a nice thing to be able to share. On Regent, I end up drinking most of the Veuve while unpacking. Keep in mind that all three couples were able to use a $300 OBC (per couple). While Amex gives Regent guests (with the Amex branded card) the $300 OBC, the extra tipple at dinner was a good thing.

Edited by Travelcat2

Veuve Clicquot is only provided to guests in upper suites on Regent. Unless you make a special request, your second bottle will be a lesser brand. Veuve Clicquot is available for sale on board for $69. If you book and pay for a cruise on Silversea, using your "branded" Amex Platinum card, you receive a bottle of Dom Perignon. This can be used to book any suite and is in addition to the OBC that Amex gives.

To clarify co-branded AmEx platinum cards like Delta or CostCo won't work.

This is a fun read for Veuve fans: The Widow Clicquot: The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled It.

http://www.amazon.com/Widow-Clicquot-Story-Champagne-Empire/dp/0061288586/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422983547&sr=8-1&keywords=Veuve+cliquot

We are coming into Georgetown Harbour with dark clouds overhead and a forecast of rain. But, hey, there's always ice cream!

The health effects of cruising: for over a week, I haven't carried a purse or bag; neither have I been hefting pots and pans around the kitchen. As a consequence, the injured rotator cuff around my left shoulder is much improved. I am hoping to parlay this into more cruising, although I doubt it's cheaper than surgery however much more pleasant!

This is a fun read for Veuve fans: The Widow Clicquot: The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled It.

http://www.amazon.com/Widow-Clicquot-Story-Champagne-Empire/dp/0061288586/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422983547&sr=8-1&keywords=Veuve+cliquot

We are coming into Georgetown Harbour with dark clouds overhead and a forecast of rain. But, hey, there's always ice cream!

The health effects of cruising: for over a week, I haven't carried a purse or bag; neither have I been hefting pots and pans around the kitchen. As a consequence, the injured rotator cuff around my left shoulder is much improved. I am hoping to parlay this into more cruising, although I doubt it's cheaper than surgery however much more pleasant!

Funny thing about rotator cuffs: I had problems with mine due to playing golf every day that ended in a "Y". A few years ago, I fractured my shoulder snow skiing and had surgery and a plate put in. The positive about it was that after being in a sling for about 6 weeks, the rotator cuff healed and no problems since. A much easier way to accomplish your healing would be to lift and toast a lovely glass of your champagne while cruising for 6 weeks. The healing properties would be fabulous.

I like the sound of that, portofinoitaly.

On the availability of shade: this is a fully booked cruise. As a consequence, I'd worried about the availability of shade around pool deck, more specifically the availability of loungers in the shade. For medical reasons I must avoid direct sunlight or bundle up and slather up -- not pleasant in warm climes. But we rarely had difficulty finding shady loungers although we have had to sit near the smokers which is aggravating. Lovely long hours shade-bathing with book or tablet in hand.

The food: context around this, we have lived years in NYC and San Francisco and are somewhat foodied out. We adore good food but have had our fill of overly fancy food and faddish cuisine. And, I'm a very good cook. The food in Compass Rose strives for fancy, often deploying the tiniest modicum imaginable of a pricey ingredient producing a dish that is unremarkable. Thus a caviar tart was essentially an egg-salad tea sandwich with the merest scrape of caviar on top. No actual taste of caviar although the egg-salad was pretty good.

We had wonderful grouper one night and tasty cod another evening. Good lobster, too.

We've eaten twice in SM on succeeding nights and to our dismay there was no change in the menu.

Breakfast has been room service and it has been adequate. The OJ the first morning tasted freshly squeezed but not so thereafter.

Ice cream is terrific, other desserts less so.

Not overwhelmed by the food and that's ok since it has been adequate and we're loving our cruise.

Kat, Mark and I almost always dined in CR because we weren't foodies; we could almost always find something that was perfectly adequate and sometimes we were really impressed. SM and Prime 7 weren't on Navigator the last time we sailed, so I wouldn't be able to even think about comparing. We always agreed that Regent fell short in the dessert line, except in the ice cream. Our favorite was cinnamon.

On one cruise, we requested fish n chips for the next night; we had to explain what that was, and the closest we could come to the way the fish would be fried was tell the chef "tempura fish". She got that, and it was really, really good. In fact, we asked for it one more evening when friends joined us for dinner.

Pam, I'm confused.

Sette Marre and Prime 7 were not on the Navigator the last time you sailed?

When was that?

We began sailing on the Navigator in 2009 and have been on her several times since then.

We have 2 more cruises booked on her this year.

I hope I am not going to be disappointed! We love both restaurants!

Pam, I'm confused.

Sette Marre and Prime 7 were not on the Navigator the last time you sailed?

When was that?

We began sailing on the Navigator in 2009 and have been on her several times since then.

We have 2 more cruises booked on her this year.

I hope I am not going to be disappointed! We love both restaurants!

I'm trying to remember when La Veranda changed to Sette Mari in the evening. I believe it was late 2012. The first version of Prime 7 went in to the Navigator prior to that -- it was definitely too small for comfort and was reconfigured around 2012 (possibly at the same time Sette Mari was "installed". We strongly feel that P7 on the Navigator is not as good as on the Mariner or Voyager. I suspect that it has to do with the lack of room to build a proper kitchen for that dining venue. We stopped sailing on the Navigator around the time Sette Mari debuted. Rumor was that Sette Mari on the Navigator was not the same as on the other ships (due to space). Perhaps someone that has sailed on the Navigator and one of the other two ships can give their impression of SM on the different ships.