Suggested Cutback

Giorgi-one

There is a middle ground between the soporific you mention and the mind-deadening throbbing which drowns out not just conversation but rational thought.

Steel drum music on Caribbean cruises is great, but amped up noise, where volume appears to fill in where talent lets off, is what we are protesting here.

Yes, there is a middle ground, but the OP and others only want soft recorded music otherwise know as muzak. Middle ground, to me, is what Celebrity did on the Summit. The Steel drum guy played three times during the sea day between the hours of 11:00am to 4:45pm, for a total of 2 hours and 45 minutes and that left the rest of the time where there was piped in lower volume music. To me, with this scenario, everyone gets to enjoy their cruise, not just those that don't want to have a party atmosphere or want to sleep at the pool. But for some, it can only be one way.

The Caribbean steel drum music was no where near loud, the only one I heard complaining was one lady, who you couldn't hear the music over her complaining and thankfully a gentleman asked her to quiet down.

I personally don't go on a cruise to sit on the pool deck listening to soft recorded music, with passengers sleeping. I go on vacation to have fun and that means fun music that you can actually hear and sing along to.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I know people are always complaining about cruise lines cutting back. Here's a cut I would love to see. Get rid of the loud bands around the pool and switch to soft recorded music. I think most people at the pool are interested in talking to their friends, or reading a book or taking a nap. I would venture to say that the sound level was above the OSHA limit for a workplace!

We have that on the Eclipse. I'm fine with it,as we prefer the Solarium.

I enjoy the music by the pool...and hour so of live music is great..BUT does it have to be the same band with the same set everyday???? On our TA the group was passable but after 6 days!!!!:eek: a few afternoons a solo guitar player singer did a short set..

The last seaday one of the guest entertains did a set on the deck....place was packed... and he enjoyed doing a set on deck. Hope on our next TA they do that again....

Isn't there a pool that is more serene with quieter mellower music for those that desire that....

And a pool that is more of a party, with louder, livlier music for those that desire that???

I'm confused...

I know people are always complaining about cruise lines cutting back. Here's a cut I would love to see. Get rid of the loud bands around the pool and switch to soft recorded music. I think most people at the pool are interested in talking to their friends, or reading a book or taking a nap. I would venture to say that the sound level was above the OSHA limit for a workplace!

IMHO, X needs more lively music not the geriatric versions we had. Serenity must be for you. It's not that loud or move up a deck.

Isn't there a pool that is more serene with quieter mellower music for those that desire that....

And a pool that is more of a party, with louder, livlier music for those that desire that???

I'm confused...

The quiet pool is inside...many want to be outside when the weather is nice, especially if they are escaping winter!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have so far only been on one Celebrity cruise, on the Infinity going through the Panama. They very rarely had a band play at the pool during the 2 weeks on board. My complaint was that they piped in music, the bar had different music playing and then everyday for an hour starting about 11am, there would be the exercise class blaring their music too! This was a lot of noise that was intolerable for me. The indoor solarium pool was nice and soothing music if you could hear it.

This next cruise we take, we will have a private veranda. I look forward to enjoying my ipod with my headphones in complete bliss without worrying about how I am going to get off the low lounge chairs that I find so difficult to get out of! :D

As for voting in or out the music, I think they should just find a happy medium and only have 1 form of music at a time.

This thread (and some others like dress code) are like the US government today......there's one group firmly planted on one side, another on the other side...neither willing to join the few who actually work towards the middle....compromise.

The world is not black or white....it has at least 50 shades of gray (sorry, I couldn't resist).

This thread (and some others like dress code) are like the US government today......there's one group firmly planted on one side, another on the other side...neither willing to join the few who actually work towards the middle....compromise.

The world is not black or white....it has at least 50 shades of gray (sorry, I couldn't resist).

You are right. A compromise, to me, would be some times when the music is louder and some times when the music is lower. I must say that those on the side of wanting the music louder, don't seem to complain as much when the music is at a much lower volume, wish it was the same for the other side.

I'm confused...

You have that on Solstice ships. The outdoor pools with the bands ,rumba etc. & the Solarium pool area with quiet "spa" type music for those who prefer a more intimate setting.

You have that on Solstice ships. The outdoor pools with the bands ,rumba etc. & the Solarium pool area with quiet "spa" type music for those who prefer a more intimate setting.

Do you understand the concept of "SUN"? I vote for putting the loud band in the Solarium where it will be even more ear deafening for those that truly appreciate loud music!

I think you would get loads of complaints if you removed the band on Caribbean cruises. I just wish they would bring back the bands that play island music with the steel drum bands.

There was a steel drum on my cruise Jan 24 on Summit out of San Juan, Saw it at the pool at least 2 times on the cruise.

What always amuses me about the pool lounger threads, is that so many people just have to get a seat right by the pool itself, and yet, the pool rarely has more than 10 people in it. If you want to get sun, go up on the upper deck, and don't fret over sitting next to the man-made body of water that people rarely dip into, and if they do it's for mere minutes of the hours in a day spent at the pool.

What always amuses me about the pool lounger threads, is that so many people just have to get a seat right by the pool itself, and yet, the pool rarely has more than 10 people in it. If you want to get sun, go up on the upper deck, and don't fret over sitting next to the man-made body of water that people rarely dip into, and if they do it's for mere minutes of the hours in a day spent at the pool.

Damn it, know you've given away my hide away. Plus the view is so much better on the upper deck.

There was a steel drum on my cruise Jan 24 on Summit out of San Juan, Saw it at the pool at least 2 times on the cruise.
I was on the cruise prior to you and he was there as well. On the sea day, he played three times. Twice for an hour each and once for 45 minutes, so there was more than enough time for those to sun that didn't like the music, which BTW, I thought was very good.

IMO, the problem isn't the music, it's the volume of it. They have the dial turned up to 11 most of the time which is incredibly annoying and disturbing. I don't mind the music, but turn it down a bit. They don't need to play it so loud that the next island can hear it before we arrive.... :p

I'm one who loves his music loud, too! But there's a time and place for it. Afternoons by the pool, just keep it at a reasonable level to where people can still talk with one another without having to YELL! During the evenings, when playing, say, in the lounge, turn it up as much as you want! Let people dance and party to it then.

IMO, the problem isn't the music, it's the volume of it. They have the dial turned up to 11 most of the time which is incredibly annoying and disturbing. I don't mind the music, but turn it down a bit. They don't need to play it so loud that the next island can hear it before we arrive.... :p

Agreed, but you will never find a band that will do that. SOFT BAND is an OXYMORON! Did you ever notice the volume of the bands that play in the central area before dinner? It's even ear deafening in the elevators. When you see speakers taller than your wife, you know you are in trouble!

Because those that don't like the bands/music don't want to compromise. Have some loud and some lower, they only want it one way (see the original post, they want soft recorded music). On my Summit cruise, I was just on, the band did not play 24/7, so there was a lot of time for folks to talk, play cards, read, etc. without the music. When the steel drum guy was playing one day and at reasonable level, the person in the lounger next to me was complaining so loud, that the music was so loud, that the gentleman on the other side of her told her that if she was quite he could actually hear the music (folks around applauded). If the band played all day long, I could see where there is an issue, but it doesn't. Why can't those that don't like the music (which I think has a lot to do with it) or bands compromise, so that everyone can enjoy their vacation and as you can see, many on here have no issues with the bands/music/loudness. Just as those that don't enjoy the bands/music, I certainly don't want to spend my entire vacation not being able to hear or enjoy music, but when it is low, you don't see those that like the louder music complaining....do you, but maybe that is what we should be doing as well.

And you are 100 percent, there is only 1 outdoor pool, so let's compromise and let the music be louder bands sometimes and lower music sometimes.....to me that would be a win, win for everyone, not just for some. But isn't that what they are doing now, since the bands don't play all day long?

I think you are spot on. I do believe that the daily newsletter even lets you know when the band will be playing.