What would you be willing to pay?

Jane2357

I've two cruises booked in a Celebrity suite and as I watch the numbers rise and fall with time - one appears to be worth the cost for Suite Restaurant & Michael's and one is making me feel that it is "not worth it". So how much would you be willing to pay for access to both suite dining and Michael's?

My Alaska cruise the difference for 7 nights is $4,000 between a Celebrity suite and an Aqua 1 (which is strangely $300. less than a C1 - both on the aft, I always thought Aqua was more than concierge - wrong) or $571.43 per couple, per day for access. I've learned that suite guests get the exact hotel accommodations on our 6 night post cruise tour so I'm questioning the expense.

The Panama Canal cruise gives us 15 nights of suite dining and Michael's access for only $233. per couple, per day - over the price of Aqua which seems totally worth it. I realize this is a subjective question - some would never pay and others will always pay no matter the price - but for the number crunchers - what does one figure the cost = value number is?

I've two cruises booked in a Celebrity suite and as I watch the numbers rise and fall with time - one appears to be worth the cost for Suite Restaurant & Michael's and one is making me feel that it is "not worth it". So how much would you be willing to pay for access to both suite dining and Michael's?

My Alaska cruise the difference for 7 nights is $4,000 between a Celebrity suite and an Aqua 1 (which is strangely $300. less than a C1 - both on the aft, I always thought Aqua was more than concierge - wrong) or $571.43 per couple, per day for access. I've learned that suite guests get the exact hotel accommodations on our 6 night post cruise tour so I'm questioning the expense.

The Panama Canal cruise gives us 15 nights of suite dining and Michael's access for only $233. per couple, per day - over the price of Aqua which seems totally worth it. I realize this is a subjective question - some would never pay and others will always pay no matter the price - but for the number crunchers - what does one figure the cost = value number is?

It's an excellent question....

First, I would price vs an A2 cabin because captain's club members get the one category upgrade and you can pay the A2 price for the A1.

Second: the delta in value from blu to Luminae. While they don't sell seats in Blu, it's generally (not always) priced at maybe an extra $15 a day min. The price for the suite restaurant is apparently $50...so one would assume there's at least a $35 a day value for breakfast and dinner...but that $35 also includes lunch, I think. So let's call it $50 a day per person difference based on the restaurant.

Third: I don't recall the value put on suite cabin sizes and butlers prior to the price increase to cover the new perks....but add that in. If it was $100 a day...it's probably still worth $100 a day...for space/butler.

That would bring us to $150 a day as a reasonably fair price for both Luminae and the suite.

Four: I don't know how to value michaels....financially, it's sort of a premium drink package...so I'd attribute $12 plus a day (upgrade from 1-2-3 that everyone seems to get these days). value of private concierge ? value of the private space ? I'll add in a little for both of those.

So I'm in the area of $175-$200 a day per person value. Now I could be wrong on the delta price to suites from an A2...but at least this gives some logical way to put a rough value on the offering.

Edited by ghstudio

First, I would price vs an A2 cabin because captain's club members get the one category upgrade and you can pay the A2 price for the A1.

I guess you're asking for the delta in value from blu to Luminae. While they don't sell seats in Blu, it's generally (not always) priced at maybe an extra $15 a day min. The price for the suite restaurant is apparently $50...so one would assume there's at least a $35 a day value for breakfast and dinner...but that $35 also includes lunch, I think.

So let's call it $50 a day per person difference based on the restaurant. I don't recall the value put on suite cabin sizes and butlers prior to the price increase to cover the new perks....but add that in. If it was $100 a day...it's probably still worth $100 a day...for space/butler.

That would bring us to $150 a day as a reasonably fair price for both Luminae and the suite.

I don't know how to value michaels....financially, it's sort of a premium drink package...so I'd attribute $12 plus a day (upgrade from 1-2-3 that everyone seems to get these days).

So I'm in the area of $175-$200 a day per person value. Now I could be wrong on the delta price to suites from an A2...but at least this gives some logical way to put a rough value on the offering.

You had me up to the Michael's figure which you have at $12. per day - I've read incredible reviews about the service - impossible specialty dining times - they get them, excursion sold out - they get them, the value of having your own personal concierge and a private lounge have to be worth more than $12. per day.

Edited by Jane2357

You had up to the Michael's figure which you have at $12. per day - I've read incredible reviews about the service - impossible specialty dining times - they get them, excursion sold out - they get them, the value of having your own personal concierge and a private lounge have to be worth more than $12. per day.

As I said, it's a framework....plug in whatever numbers you think are right. I think I'm in the right ballpark...but maybe it's $225 instead of $175-200....

As I said, it's a framework....plug in whatever numbers you think are right. I think I'm in the right ballpark...but maybe it's $225 instead of $175-200....

I think this is closer to the number for us. I realize most suite cruisers will book a suite no matter the cost. We are those people that can go either way - and cost is a factor when weighed with benefit. The Celebrity suite on a 15 night is worth it - the cost of it on a 7 night cruise to Alaska for us - probably not. :D

So in essence, what I can attain is approx $3,500 more for 15 nights being in a suite doing Panama Canal and $4000 in a suite for Alaska.

With the diff being approx $500 between the two, what jumps out for the cruise you would really like to do?

For an extra 5 days I would do the Panama one...but that is me.

We faced the same dilemma on our Alaska cruise tour last year and stuck with Aqua, which was less expensive than CC at the time we booked. I'm not sure Michaels Club was a suites only option when we sailed but it might have been. Even if it was we would not have booked any higher than an S2. Our criteria was the number of days on board and how much time we would spend on board. Since Alaska is a very port intensive cruise, the price of a suite combined with the price of a land tour was just not worth it. And as you point out, the accommodations on the land portion are the same no matter what class you have booked on the cruise portion. We enjoyed the dinners in Blu and might have had one dinner in a specialty restaurant. Due to the weather we would not have dined in our suite at all.

On our Panama Canal cruise we booked a RS for the opposite reasons.

Mary Lou

First, I would price vs an A2 cabin because captain's club members get the one category upgrade and you can pay the A2 price for the A1

Snip

Actually, I don't believe the captains club complimentary upgrade includes A2 to A1.

I think the rest of your calculation is right, but not necessary all the figures. Suite dining includes lunch, breakfast (and/or brunch on sea day) and Michael's has some serious value to many in the service offered by e concierge.

We choose between all the different suite levels based on price, length of cruise , designation, ports,etc, etc. we prefer a CS and above for the space and separate bedroom and sometimes just choose not to book a particular cruise because the pricing isn't what we think is fare, so we just book something else.

Just like the other poster, for Panama Canal, we wanted that big balcony on the back of m-class on deck 6. The B2B cruise we booked 6145 (S1) as it is over Xmas and New Years, the PH and RS were sold out and we don't think the CS is fairly priced Even for a holiday sailing. We'll probably cancel the Sky Suite anyway as even that is over priced for a holiday. For a port intensive cruise of over a month on an M-Class a CS will be great, no time to really sit on the balcony. We would avoid a CS on m-class on a warm weather /Caribbeancruise where the pool will be busy with kids, as its not the best balcony to "escape" too. Another example is for an S-class with family, we booked a hump CS so we can entertain. But the Royal suit was $4000 more than a CS and the CS hump has more usable balcony space.

Just a few ideals of why we choose different levels for different cruises.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

A2 is definitely upgradeable to A1. We have already done that free upgrade once and have multiple cruises booked the same way through 2017.

Yeap, I just double checked, it excludes C1, not A1. I think I mixed them up, since it is so odd to exclude C1 but not A1. Maybe it has to do with the aft location on m-class before the new cabins were added but who knows.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Actually, I don't believe the captains club complimentary upgrade includes A2 to A1.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We have a couple of cruises booked where we have indeed used this system without any problems! [emoji41]

My rough rule of thumb with the larger rooms is how much extra space do I get.

S cabins are around 1.5 regular cabins so if an A2-which gets upped to an A1 costs £3,800 for 24 nights an S2 starts at around '£1900 more ie £5700 with the s1 slightly more. I don't like where the S2 cabins are so I would never take one, even on the Reflection.

CS should be around £7600, RS £11400 - ph should be double that on a straight space basis but they would never get that.

I tend to add little for butler, The suite restaurant I perhaps factor in around $50 a day extra $700 for the cruise as I an getting well fed in Blu in AQ and the speciality nights would be included in that - ultimate dinning is $29 each and I wouldn't and don't pay any more than $60 per visit anyway.

The use of Michaels is a nice extra and I would probably pay $200 over the 14 nights for that.

RS+ extras - Bottles in room are just an extra convenience . You can only drink so much wherever you are on the ship but you so the only drink benefit that saves you is the premium upgrade which was $322 for 14 nights- this is the pre 18% upgrade price. I save around $430 on free internet.

So if an s1 is less than £5700 I am winning about $700, the same with a CS at £7600, although the use of Michaels gives the extras an extra $200.

RS if it is less than £11400 is good value and some of those I have booked as well under that. The benefits there are with around an extra$750 on top of the CS.

If pricing exceeds these I leave,the suites alone and make do with sneezing into a hump A1. I do however keep watching the suite prices but I have found that the usually rise rather than drop after the initial flurry and life is much easier if you book something 2 years early that you will be happy with.

The original question is so very subjective as everyone has their own values for different things.

Gordon

Jane, we're making the same call. Aqua for Alaska and a Celebrity Suite for the Caribbean. Shore excursions are more important to us in Alaska than service. And our flight and hotel costs are much higher than in Florida.

We did a Celebrity Suite on the Silhouette in December and Michael's service was great.

The Alaska cruise is port intensive and very little time will be spent on the ship so for $500.+ per day - we've decided to give up the Celebrity suite for the 7 nights - although the trip is 13 nights, 6 of those are post cruise tour and there is no benefit for those days.

I won't consider a Sky on the M class as they are not on the aft - which is always my 2nd choice cabin after a suite. So it came down to a Aqua 1 cabin or a C1 both aft. We took one of the newer Aqua cabins on deck 11 - #1138. Having dined in Blu only once before while in a suite - I was not a Blu fan but perhaps that was just one not so great meal - so we will give it a go and if we don't care for it - it is only 7 days.

I'm very happy with our booking the Celebrity suite for the 15 night P.C. cruise and will just look forward to the suite experience at that time. More time on the ship, more days to enjoy - better value for us.

Isn't life rough for any of us - that we get to cruise no matter what cabin we take!! :D:D

Edited by Jane2357

All of my booked cruises are in AQ2 upgraded to AQ1. The cost diference to be in a suite is always over $200/day pp. Way too much for my budget. Even the AQ is starting to press it.

Sorry but that is the way it is, some have the funds and some don't. Plus many don't and feel that they don't want to be deprived so they extend their debt and don't care.

People paying the price for being in a suite do deserve a little more and I have nothing against it just don't cut back as much on the lower ends as I may eventually only be able to afford being in the cheapest category if I want it cruise.

happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞