CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Anyone know anything about Summit Taxi in Newark? Thinking of reserving a sedan for ride to port from Robert Treat Best western, and wanted to know if they have a good reputation.

The Summit Taxi I found is based in Summit NJ, but services the Newark Metro area. What did they quote you for the trip?

Do u think it will be ok to stay on Staten Island by April 1 regarding bridge construction ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's unpredictable which is why I'm not comfortable recommending Staten Island hotels at this time.

You're coming from Canada. What were you thinking of doing? Park, sleep, cruise or sleep and park at the port? If you're looking for a park/sleep/cruise, I recommend trinityreservations.com for $219 tax included for your date - room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people.

To get to Staten Island it's extra time, gas, and about $21 in bridge and turnpike tolls and you can't rely on the Bayonne Bridge being open.

We want to stay 2 nights and we can get hotel on the island for 91$ Canadian plus we want to take ferry into new York , there r 4 of us so would save money plus cross the ferry off of our list at the same time ,

What hotel? Are you parking at the port? Are you driving to the Staten Island ferry?

Not sure what hotel yet , going to use Hotwire , will likely be the ramada or holiday inn expressI will have to park at port , would like to use offsite parking but I noticed u don't recommend them , with our bad exchange rate trying to keep costs down . We will use shuttle to ferry if it's an option

The Summit Taxi I found is based in Summit NJ, but services the Newark Metro area. What did they quote you for the trip?

You are correct, it is in Summit, NJ, my mistake. I was quoted $50.00, which isn't a bad rate, after checking some other options, but I was wondering if anyone had used them, and if they are reliable.

Thanks!

Kathy

You are correct, it is in Summit, NJ, my mistake. I was quoted $50.00, which isn't a bad rate, after checking some other options, but I was wondering if anyone had used them, and if they are reliable.

Thanks!

Kathy

I don't have any experience with them. However, I actually lived in Summit NJ many years ago. It's a nice suburban commuter town and not Newark. My instincts tell me their business is used to dealing with more upscale clients, so they could be a reliable choice.

Anyway, if there's a problem, the hotel can help you get a local cab.

Not sure what hotel yet , going to use Hotwire , will likely be the ramada or holiday inn expressI will have to park at port , would like to use offsite parking but I noticed u don't recommend them , with our bad exchange rate trying to keep costs down . We will use shuttle to ferry if it's an option

I can't in good conscience recommend the offsite parking for Cape Liberty because I wouldn't feel comfortable parking there. However folks do use it and I haven't read any complaints since they reopened under "new management". Folks do choose to use it, but they should be aware of the concerns.

The risk with using a possible hotel shuttle to get to the ferry is that they might not be able to pick you up on demand when you return after a long day in Manhattan. That means you have to wait or pay for a cab back to the hotel. That's why I recommend driving and paying to park on a Saturday. DOT lots are $8/day.

I don't have any experience with them. However, I actually lived in Summit NJ many years ago. It's a nice suburban commuter town and not Newark. My instincts tell me their business is used to dealing with more upscale clients, so they could be a reliable choice.

Anyway, if there's a problem, the hotel can help you get a local cab.

Thank you, I made the reservation. I will report back after our trip, in case anyone else is interested.

Most impressed with all the info on hotels, packages,shuttle services to Liberty on this thread. Might someone know the latest construction info for the area? All I can find is from 2014/15. Is the construction complete? We will be arriving via I-78 from PA in April. Still haven't decided on drive/park at port or the Trinity package deal.

Most impressed with all the info on hotels, packages,shuttle services to Liberty on this thread. Might someone know the latest construction info for the area? All I can find is from 2014/15. Is the construction complete? We will be arriving via I-78 from PA in April. Still haven't decided on drive/park at port or the Trinity package deal.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2375544

Coming in on I78 the only construction right now is at turnpike exit 14A.

I have been reading this thread for a long time. We thought we might fly to Newark for our cruise on April 29 out of Bayonne, but after our last flight in February we are thinking we may just drive. At the time I thought we would fly I took the advice and got a room at Robert Treat Best Western. We do still want to take some type of transportation to New York to look around. I thought that the Penn Station in the area there would work great. I would also like to drive to the port so we could get back on the road as soon as we are off the ship. Sounds like it may be difficult to get from Robert Treat to the port even though it says only 10 miles. Would some of you who have done this trip advise me as to what you would do. Change rooms and do the trinity package and take a shuttle? In that case where do I go to get to New York? OR Stay at Robert Treat and take Penn into NY and drive to the port. If I drive to the port, how do I handle the tolls? Are the lines that take cash a whole lot longer? Lots of questions so I am really getting confused as to what to do.

I have been reading this thread for a long time. We thought we might fly to Newark for our cruise on April 29 out of Bayonne, but after our last flight in February we are thinking we may just drive. At the time I thought we would fly I took the advice and got a room at Robert Treat Best Western. We do still want to take some type of transportation to New York to look around. I thought that the Penn Station in the area there would work great. I would also like to drive to the port so we could get back on the road as soon as we are off the ship. Sounds like it may be difficult to get from Robert Treat to the port even though it says only 10 miles. Would some of you who have done this trip advise me as to what you would do. Change rooms and do the trinity package and take a shuttle? In that case where do I go to get to New York? OR Stay at Robert Treat and take Penn into NY and drive to the port. If I drive to the port, how do I handle the tolls? Are the lines that take cash a whole lot longer? Lots of questions so I am really getting confused as to what to do.

We are staying at ramada through trinity. We are renting two one way rental cars, so will use hotel shuttle to and from airport for vehicle return and pick up. We are coming in Friday night. Then Saturday getting bus by hotel to Newark penn station for path to go to World Trade Center memorial and other ny spots. Then return via path and bus. I've researched this to death! I think this is our best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What time and date will you arrive in Newark? Do you have some sort of GPS? I would keep your original reservation at the Robert Treat to make the transportation for your day in NYC a lot easier and cheaper. It also has free parking and free breakfast. It's less than 3 miles between I78 and the Robert Treat - 15 minutes or less. I've driven it and it's a major city street with traffic lights. It should be just fine on a Sat morning.

Hello: We're new to the Cape Liberty cruise port and could use a little guidance. Our ship (VOTS) docks at 6 am on September 9, 2017. We'll have to go through customs. I think the taxi ride would be 30 minutes, tops. Are we safe to book flights home at 1:30/2:30 pm?

Thanks!

We are staying in Whippany NJ overnight and plan on driving to Port Liberty the next morning. The drive to the port would be a Friday morning. What time would you recommend to avoid the most rush hour traffic? I am think 10ish? Will it still be crazy at that time?

I can respond to your concern about the tolls. I do not have ez pass. When I sail from Port Liberty I usually reach the NJTP toll plaza in Bayonne about 10:15- 10:30 am and am no more than the 4th or 5th car in line. Can't address later arrival time at the toll plaza.

Hello: We're new to the Cape Liberty cruise port and could use a little guidance. Our ship (VOTS) docks at 6 am on September 9, 2017. We'll have to go through customs. I think the taxi ride would be 30 minutes, tops. Are we safe to book flights home at 1:30/2:30 pm?

Thanks!

Yes

We are staying in Whippany NJ overnight and plan on driving to Port Liberty the next morning. The drive to the port would be a Friday morning. What time would you recommend to avoid the most rush hour traffic? I am think 10ish? Will it still be crazy at that time?

I'd follow the traffic reports on google or Waze and plan to leave around 9:30-10:00.

I can respond to your concern about the tolls. I do not have ez pass. When I sail from Port Liberty I usually reach the NJTP toll plaza in Bayonne about 10:15- 10:30 am and am no more than the 4th or 5th car in line. Can't address later arrival time at the toll plaza.

Since it will be a Saturday, my hope is that 4th or 5th is what I encounter! lol Thanks for the reply. We hope to be leaving the hotel about 10 to head to the port.

What time and date will you arrive in Newark? Do you have some sort of GPS? I would keep your original reservation at the Robert Treat to make the transportation for your day in NYC a lot easier and cheaper. It also has free parking and free breakfast. It's less than 3 miles between I78 and the Robert Treat - 15 minutes or less. I've driven it and it's a major city street with traffic lights. It should be just fine on a Sat morning.

My plan right now is to leave home on the 26th and arrive in Newark the next day around 1:00 p.m. That will give us a full day and part of a day to go into New York. We do have GPS in the car and the phone. Thanks for the response. We will stay at Robert Treat. Now I have to see if I can change our dates for Robert Treat. Need to add one and cancel one.:D

Are there tolls from 80 or whatever road I'm on going to Newark airport to drop off car?

Are there tolls from 80 or whatever road I'm on going to Newark airport to drop off car?

From I80 the NJ Turnpike toll from Exit 18 to exit 14 is $3.60 and the toll from exit 18 to exit 13A is $4.75.

However, if you cut over to I78 from I 80 and approach the airport area from the west on I78, there are no tolls unless you get on the NJ Turnpike. There is an exit for Frontage Road from I78 Eastbound.