CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I'm liking 138s suggestion of splitting the day in half, especially since you have the car and it's so much easier doing the SOL from NJ

I'm kinda scratching my head at you not able to find anything to eat last time but I know it could be overwhelming. This time narrow it down and you'll find walking a block or two will get you what you want. I take it pizza is not your thing? lol even though it's considered food of the gods for us natives and Irish pub food close second. I'm guessing Chinese is out too?

How about Ellen's Starburst Diner? The waitstaff are all Broadway wanna bees so they sing and dance while delivering your food.

Another option is going to Central Park and ordering a hotdog and pretzel from a stand

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it was weird not finding what we wanted but it was late and we were tired of walking. I love pizza and we had it for lunch in old church which was cool. I can't remember why we didn't go to Ellen's but there was a reason. Maybe we will try juniors as I love cheesecake or Ellen's .

If I just want to take the Staten Island ferry to see SOL, is there any point in going to liberty state park? Just don't really understand so thanks for your help. As for Carlos , I could care less but of course my 10 year old thinks it would be the greatest thing to do.

Triena

Yes it was weird not finding what we wanted but it was late and we were tired of walking. I love pizza and we had it for lunch in old church which was cool. I can't remember why we didn't go to Ellen's but there was a reason. Maybe we will try juniors as I love cheesecake or Ellen's .

If I just want to take the Staten Island ferry to see SOL, is there any point in going to liberty state park? Just don't really understand so thanks for your help. As for Carlos , I could care less but of course my 10 year old thinks it would be the greatest thing to do.

Triena

If you stay in Staten Island you can take the Staten Island Ferry which goes past the Statue of Liberty but doesn't stop. The ferry stops at Manhattan. You get a good view of the Statue and you can't beat the price. You can then walk to the World Trade Center from there or take the subway to Times Square. I'm not familiar with the logistics of getting from Staten Island hotel to ferry. I do know it's not within walking distance.

If you want to visit Liberty Island where the Statue stands and actually climb the Statue then you would take the special ferry from Liberty State Park.

Definitely talk your son out of visiting Carlos Bake Shop. Is he talking about the original in Jersey City? Even if you go there people have reported Buddy is never there, the line is ridiculous, and the cake doesn't even taste that good. lol.

There's a big difference between going to Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty and just getting a view of it from lower Manhattan or the Staten Island ferry.

What I'm hearing is that you just want to see the statue from afar and you want to go to Times Square with the possibility of visiting Carlos' in Manhattan.

If you stay on Staten Island ($15 toll to cross from Elizabeth to Staten Island), you should be able to drive and park at the ferry terminal on a Saturday. The #1 train at South Ferry will take you right to Times Square.

So I've agonized over how to get from Newark to World Trade Center. I want to save money and get to NY! I looked at taking ferry at Liberty park, but on weekends leaves ny at 7:45 pm. So next option is airport to Newark penn station to path. But I think costly? Next option airport get bus 62 to Newark penn station to path. Thoughts? Cost of each option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found another option...ill be at hotel on frontage. Looks like I could walk .3 miles and get bus 40 straight to penn station. No need to take hotel shuttle to airport to get 62 bus

Both bus 62 and bus 40 are options. On Saturdays bus 40 runs every hour. The time on the schedule is Frontage Road (Sheraton Hotel). The Doubletree hotel next to the Ramada used to be the Sheraton and the bus stop is on Frontage Road just beyond the Doubletree walking from the Ramada. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0040.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0062.pdf

Bus 40 doesn't run as frequently for you coming back, so you should be prepared to take either bus 40 or bus 62 through the airport. IMO you really don't want to be hanging out for a long time at Newark Penn Station - better to spend that time riding to one of the airport terminals and taking Airtrain to P4 to get the Ramada shuttle.

So just to clarify..we have wtc tickets sat am at 10 am. It looks like bus 40 goes to Newark at 7:58 am. We catch that, go to Newark penn station, catch the path to wtc? Cost 1.45 bus, 2.25 path. Then return take path back to Newark pen station and get bus 62 to airport, then get shuttle from hotel back to ramada. Is there another option back to airport to get shuttle in the evening to avoid long wait at Newark penn?

So just to clarify..we have wtc tickets sat am at 10 am. It looks like bus 40 goes to Newark at 7:58 am. We catch that, go to Newark penn station, catch the path to wtc? Cost 1.45 bus, 2.25 path. Then return take path back to Newark pen station and get bus 62 to airport, then get shuttle from hotel back to ramada. Is there another option back to airport to get shuttle in the evening to avoid long wait at Newark penn?

Bus 40 and bus 60 are $1.60 EXACT CHANGE. PATH is $2.75.

NJ Transit Train from Newark Penn Station to Newark Airport Station is $8.50 with 4 trains/ hour grouped between :17 and :37 after the hour on a Saturday.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Emergency backup plan would be to take a cab from the Ramada to Newark Penn Station for $20-25.

Thank you so much! There are 4 of us, so I think I'll try the bus.

My advice is that if you come back to Newark Penn Station after dark, the 4 of you splurge and take a cab directly back to the hotel. You'll be tired and won't regret that decision.

Feeling overwhelmed trying to plan for a day in NYC pre-cruise. We're booked for 4 night Anthem to Bermuda leaving June 22. We are planning to come to NYC June 20 (not getting there until later in the day due to 8 hour drive), spend June 21 in NYC, and then board ship June 22. The must-do sights we want to explore are Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, 9/11 Memorial and museum, WTC observatory.

Any suggestions on where to stay for a reasonable price close to what we want to see would be welcome. Also advice on buying tickets before/not, time of day, etc would be welcome. Thought about finding a tour to book.... but our own pace is appealing.

Two adults and two 12 y/o boys.

Feeling overwhelmed trying to plan for a day in NYC pre-cruise. We're booked for 4 night Anthem to Bermuda leaving June 22. We are planning to come to NYC June 20 (not getting there until later in the day due to 8 hour drive), spend June 21 in NYC, and then board ship June 22. The must-do sights we want to explore are Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, 9/11 Memorial and museum, WTC observatory.

Any suggestions on where to stay for a reasonable price close to what we want to see would be welcome. Also advice on buying tickets before/not, time of day, etc would be welcome. Thought about finding a tour to book.... but our own pace is appealing.

Two adults and two 12 y/o boys.

What is your hotel budget? Double, queen, or king/sofa bed?

For reasonably priced hotels the Newark Airport area is closest to Cape Liberty

Your high level strategy should be to drive to Liberty State Park in .Jersey City and park for $7. Do Ellis Island and the SOL and return to Manhattan. Walk along Broadway to the WTC/911 area. Return to Liberty State Park by ferry - http://www.libertylandingferry.com/ticket-fares.aspx - $7/adults, $5/kids. Last ferry is 8:45 pm on a weekday.

A downtown Newark option would be the Robert Treat - free parking, free breakfast, free wifi, and free hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station. Strategy would be to take PATH directly to WTC for $2.75/pp. I have stayed at thus hotel and was very happy with it. However, it is a downtown hotel in a highly urban city. You would want to be sure to take the hotel shuttle or a cab from Newark Penn Station to the hotel in the evening.

Edited by 138east

Thanks so much!! Hoping for $250ish per night (or less! Lol)

So which strategy do you prefer - driving to Liberty State Park or PATH? Can you do two double beds? If not, you need to stay at the airport and drive. Are you OK with staying in downtown Newark?

What transportation does Embassy offer to ship? Thanks

They offer a shared shuttle, possibly the same shuttle bus they use for airport pickups.

What exactly are you looking for? Private car service will run $55-65.

So which strategy do you prefer - driving to Liberty State Park or PATH? Can you do two double beds? If not, you need to stay at the airport and drive. Are you OK with staying in downtown Newark?

We decided on driving to Liberty State Park. We booked a room at Springhill by Marriott near the airport. We booked SOL/Ellis Island tickets as well [emoji4].

Anything else we should know?

Is it free? I'm just checking if it's less expensive than what I booked. I couldn't find free shuttles to the port, just airport.

I had an 'e mail chat' with the manager at ES last year when researching our trip for August. The shuttle is $20pp and you can sign up for it when you check in...no need to pre book.

Simon

Thanks! We have four of us so definitely needing free shuttle or will drive to port to park. Anyone know how safe parking is at Ramada vs the port?

I just picked up my car at the Ramada this morning where it was parked for 12 days. No problems. I felt very comfortable leaving it there.

In reality there are no free shuttles - you pay for them in the package rate. You're on a 7 day cruise. Price out all your options - hotel room + $140 to park or park, sleep, cruise package for 4 people. If you just stay at an EWR hotel, they all charge extra for 1 night parking.

We decided on driving to Liberty State Park. We booked a room at Springhill by Marriott near the airport. We booked SOL/Ellis Island tickets as well [emoji4].

Anything else we should know?

Springhill is a good choice for your group. They have a free breakfast, but no restaurant. It us also very close to exit 14. Just remember the last ferry is 8:45 pm.

How early did you book tickets?