CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Unless this is within the next week, subway will cost $3. Buy ONE METROCARD (it can be shared) and used on both path and subway. You can buy it at penn station.

Enjoy!

Forums

I was wondering about the Metro Card that you mentioned, You said it can be shared, so are you saying that both of us could use it to board Path or Subway, going in the same direction for the same ride?

Thanks!

Kathy

Edited by A Pisces

Arriving at about 3:00 in the afternoon. We'll each have a large rolling suitcase + a carry on type, I'm sure. Mine connect together for convenience. We're both able to lift & manage a stairway. No problem. Where you had taxis listed we were thinking Lyft. Definitely trains where we can. The PATH does sound like the way to go. I'm going to save your post for reference. Cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.

Now to just survive if it's cold. This Southern girl is quite worried about the weather and how to dress for it. Pleeeeaaase no snow. LOL!

Sounds like you have a plan. You should have a set of warm clothing - the first and last sea days could be nippy.

I'm not an expert on Uber or Lyft. I think it would work well from the hotel to PATH or the light rail into the port. I'm not so sure how Uber or Lyft works from NY Penn Station, which is enormous. If you exit onto 8th Ave, NYC cabs will pull up to drop folks off. 8th Ave goes northbound, so your route would be directly north to 48th St and east to the hotel, which is the most direct route. Finding an Uber or Lyft pickup point and connecting with your ride could be more complicated and involve going around on the one way streets.

Our son works for an airline so we fly standby. Arrival probably sometime in the afternoon. Departure will be the first flight we can get on after we return from the cruise.

Food requirements are minor. We are going on a cruise and eating way too much.

Bed- queen or king is fine

Not planning on any NYC sightseeing.

Your best deal is the sleep cruise through Trinityreservations.com for $173 tax included.

Other more expensive options are Country Inns and Embassy Suites where you can buy port transportation as an add on.

I like the Robert Treat, but it is more suitable for folks who want good access to Manhattan or who want to take PATH/ light rail/cab to Cape Liberty.

Your best deal is the sleep cruise through Trinityreservations.com for $173 tax included.

Other more expensive options are Country Inns and Embassy Suites where you can buy port transportation as an add on.

I like the Robert Treat, but it is more suitable for folks who want good access to Manhattan or who want to take PATH/ light rail/cab to Cape Liberty.

Thanks for your reply. I'll check them out.

You can take the PATH train for $2.75 from Newark Penn into Manhattan. Unless you want to walk 3/4 of a mile, you will have to change to a subway to get where you want to go.

If it's a weekend, best bet is to get off PATH at World Trade Center. Ask someone there how to get to the N or R train. Take it uptown to 49th street.

Unless this is within the next week, subway will cost $3. Buy ONE METROCARD (it can be shared) and used on both path and subway. You can buy it at penn station.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Minor correction, just the facts - sorry ... on the MTA subway & bus fares.

Direct link is here (also on MTA's website) -

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/nyregion/mta-subway-bus-toll-metrocard-fare-increase.html?_r=0

While the MTA Board was expected to raised the base subway/bus fare to $3 per trip (last increase was 2 years ago) - it did NOT and will remain at $2.75 for the near/immediate future (hopefully, 1 to 2 years). What is changing on March 19, not sooner - is the discount for using MetroCard will be lowered to 5% vs. 11% currently in effect.

Up to 4 persons can share using a single Metro Card, and, for most (unless you have one already or recently expired one, that can be traded in for activation - preferrably at a manned booth) - a $1.00 fee for the card will be deducted. Thus, for subway to bus transfer or bus to subway transfer, it can be swiped 4 times, one for each person traveling together.

Vending kiosks do accept cash, credit & debit card and is sold at LGA and JFK airports (@ AirTrain terminal's exit - Howard Beach or Jamaica stations)

All of the MTA subway train station's concourses (platform level) now has fre WiFi (unsecured, of course) for usage ... and relatively fast and very usable, better than most hotel's basic WiFi which often struggled at 1MB download & upload speed (been there, done it). Download ahead & use the free MTA Mobile App, including Trip Planner and Bus Time - short codes to show the nearest buses and ETA.

Edited by mking8288

Minor correction, just the facts - sorry ... on the MTA subway & bus fares.

Direct link is here (also on MTA's website) -

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/nyregion/mta-subway-bus-toll-metrocard-fare-increase.html?_r=0

While the MTA Board was expected to raised the base subway/bus fare to $3 per trip (last increase was 2 years ago) - it did NOT and will remain at $2.75 for the near/immediate future (hopefully, 1 to 2 years). What is changing on March 19, not sooner - is the discount for using MetroCard will be lowered to 5% vs. 11% currently in effect.

Up to 4 persons can share using a single Metro Card, and, for most (unless you have one already or recently expired one, that can be traded in for activation - preferrably at a manned booth) - a $1.00 fee for the card will be deducted. Thus, for subway to bus transfer or bus to subway transfer, it can be swiped 4 times, one for each person traveling together.

Vending kiosks do accept cash, credit & debit card and is sold at LGA and JFK airports (@ AirTrain terminal's exit - Howard Beach or Jamaica stations)

All of the MTA subway train station's concourses (platform level) now has fre WiFi (unsecured, of course) for usage ... and relatively fast and very usable, better than most hotel's basic WiFi which often struggled at 1MB download & upload speed (been there, done it). Download ahead & use the free MTA Mobile App, including Trip Planner and Bus Time - short codes to show the nearest buses and ETA.

I realized after I posted that it was scheduled for March, not February, but I hadn't realized that it didn't pass, so thanks for the update!

What time is the earliest RCL transfer from EWR To Cape Liberty? Does cape liberty have shuttles to return to EWR? How much will the shuttle cost? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would ask RCL how early their transfers go from EWR to Cape Liberty. My best guess would be not before 11:00 am so they can collect enough people to fill a bus.

RCL offers transfers back to EWR and there are also shuttles available from the taxi dispatcher. $28.50/pp has been the price mentioned for these kinds of transfers. What times are your flights arriving to and leaving from EWR?

I'm arriving the night before and staying at the residence in Elizabeth. Planning to go to the airport and catch the RCL SHUTTLE, and I read somewhere that there are local shuttles at the pier for a return trip for about $16.. I'm just trying to confirm that. My return flight is in the afternoon. Thanks

I'm arriving the night before and staying at the residence in Elizabeth. Planning to go to the airport and catch the RCL SHUTTLE, and I read somewhere that there are local shuttles at the pier for a return trip for about $16.. I'm just trying to confirm that. My return flight is in the afternoon. Thanks

The $16 shuttles disappeared when they opened the new terminal and built the parking garage.

For a more budget no frills transportation contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973 inde.drvr@gmail.com 4-6 weeks ahead. You would probably do better with these folks who would pick you up directly at the hotel so you don't have to go back to EWR to find and wait for the cruise transfer bus.

If budget is a concern, you might want to reconsider your choice of Residence Inn if you haven't prepaid. Trinityreservations.com offers a room at the Ramada with round trip port transportation for $173 tax included.

That was great information, it also explains why I couldn't find any shuttle information from the port. I am staying at the residence with points so I'll compare the rates with independent driver and Cruise transfer. Thank you for your help.

Can you do two double beds? If so, the trinityreservations.com Bayonne Cape Liberty cruise package at the Ramada Plaza is your best deal at $173 tax included with round trip port transportation for 4 people. The Ramada has a cafe, a sports bar, and a restaurant.

If you require a special bed configuration, post back with your requirements.

Hello again - we took your advice and have booked at the Ramada Plaza Bayonne, however we still have a couple of questions that we hope you can help us with.

Our 'arrival appointment' at Cape Liberty is for 12:00 - 12:30, so what time should we book the shuttle from the hotel to the port?

Next question, on disembarkation day, Sunday, 26 Feb 17, our flight home to Canada is at 2 pm, so we will need to be at the airport by noon at the latest, which leaves the question of what time we need to request the hotel shuttle to pick us up at the cruise port - and does anyone know if the return shuttle goes directly to the airport or back to the hotel and then to the airport? We didn't see anything online while booking to help us clarify that point.

Many thanks again.

Hello again - we took your advice and have booked at the Ramada Plaza Bayonne, however we still have a couple of questions that we hope you can help us with.

Our 'arrival appointment' at Cape Liberty is for 12:00 - 12:30, so what time should we book the shuttle from the hotel to the port?

Next question, on disembarkation day, Sunday, 26 Feb 17, our flight home to Canada is at 2 pm, so we will need to be at the airport by noon at the latest, which leaves the question of what time we need to request the hotel shuttle to pick us up at the cruise port - and does anyone know if the return shuttle goes directly to the airport or back to the hotel and then to the airport? We didn't see anything online while booking to help us clarify that point.

Many thanks again.

I'm taking the shuttle at 9 or 10 and my appointment is for 1 pm

On the return I'd aim for a 10am shuttle to allow yourself plenty of time at EWR. The hotel shuttle will drop off at the hotel first and then at P4 for the transfer to the Airtrain. I asked Trinity this question just this week.

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Penn Station on the weekend?

I booked the concierge floor but found out its closed on the weekends...do they then offer vouchers?

Also, does anyone know if there is in and out privileges for the parking?

Trying decide between this hotel and the embassy Newark airport by the jersey gardens.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I booked the concierge floor but found out its closed on the weekends...do they then offer vouchers?

Trying decide between this hotel and the embassy Newark airport by the jersey gardens.

Call the hotel directly and ask. If you want to go into NYC on the train, stay at the Hilton Penn Station. If you are just doing a precruise night, stay at Embassy Suites and make your life easier by not having to drive in downtown Newark.

HIlton Penn is in the downtown Newark?

Oh didn't know that -- might take your advice and stay and shop at the Jersey Outlet...

It's a good choice if you fly in precruise to sightsee in NYC because of the NJ Transit train to midtown, PATH to downtown, and the airport shuttle. IMO it's not optimal if you have a car because they charge for parking and you have to drive on local streets to find the hotel and to get back to the turnpike to go to Cape Liberty.

We have stayed there...four nights, including weekend leading up to our cruise. We chose not to be on Concierge floor, knowing the amenities would not be available Sat/Sun. We really liked the hotel, with covered walkway linking to Newark Penn Station so very easy to get to trains into NYC.

Garage is not owned by hotel. We did drive and park in it and the hotel adds it to your Hilton bill, but we used public transportation exclusively and didn't leave until on way to port. If you choose this hotel, go over the route carefully both to the hotel and to the port. It worked out fine for us, but only because we Google mapped it, including street view. There's also a YouTube video that was helpful that showed windshield view from turnpike exit to the port...can't recall how I found it, but I'll look back and post here if I find it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi there, We are taking the 14 day cruise in October on the Celebrity Summit. I was looking into the trinity deal that has been mentioned several times. We will be returning to port on Sunday 10/22/17. Could someone describe the process of getting back to EWR using the trinity shuttles; straight to the airport, or back to the hotel first? I'd also appreciate suggestions on an appropriate flight departure time?

Thanks for any help.

Hi there, We are taking the 14 day cruise in October on the Celebrity Summit. I was looking into the trinity deal that has been mentioned several times. We will be returning to port on Sunday 10/22/17. Could someone describe the process of getting back to EWR using the trinity shuttles; straight to the airport, or back to the hotel first? I'd also appreciate suggestions on an appropriate flight departure time?

Thanks for any help.

I'm in the middle of a trinity package right now, so I haven't done the return part yet. The Concierge gave me a card and told me to call when I was ready to go. I'll post about it next week after I return.

My understanding is that the shuttle will stop first at the Ramada and then go on to the P4 Airtrain Station, which is the central drop off point for all shuttle transportation. Typically we recommend flights leaving after noon.

Hello looking for advice for our cruise on April 2 from cape liberty please. We are driving from ontario Canada . We will arrive the Friday night late and will cruise the Sunday so we will have Saturday to go to manhattan. We went last year with just ourselves and took the path and stayed at the ramada airport but we flew. This time we will have our 2 kids and they want to see Statue of Liberty and go to Carlos bakery lol.

My one thought is to stay on Staten Island and take the ferry for free into manhattan

My other thought is to do trinity reservation $207 per night and my 3rd thought is to stay at a Newark hotel for about 100$ and pay the 140$ for port parking.

Can u tell me how much it would cost to take the path for family of 4 . I feel like last year we paid 25$ return which I think is pricey for 4 of us.

Thank you for your help

Triena

Hello looking for advice for our cruise on April 2 from cape liberty please. We are driving from ontario Canada . We will arrive the Friday night late and will cruise the Sunday so we will have Saturday to go to manhattan. We went last year with just ourselves and took the path and stayed at the ramada airport but we flew. This time we will have our 2 kids and they want to see Statue of Liberty and go to Carlos bakery lol.

My one thought is to stay on Staten Island and take the ferry for free into manhattan

My other thought is to do trinity reservation $207 per night and my 3rd thought is to stay at a Newark hotel for about 100$ and pay the 140$ for port parking.

Can u tell me how much it would cost to take the path for family of 4 . I feel like last year we paid 25$ return which I think is pricey for 4 of us.

Thank you for your help

Triena

Are you really doing Manhattan or are you just going to the SOL and Carlos' Bakery? If you don't have Manhattan requirements, the easiest thing to do is the trinity package. Drive to the SOL ferry in Liberty State Park NJ and park for $7 and go out to the SOL. Then drive to Carlos' Bakery. Don't know what the parking situation is there, but perhaps others will comment.

If you want to actually go into Manhattan, post back with your sightseeing plans and post back for plan B. Don't get involved with Staten Island because of the "free" ferry - you will pay for it in other ways in money or inconvenience.

We will likely go to time square and Central Park , hoping to find somewhere interesting for dinner. Last time we went we did not have any luck finding anything in the time square area. Everything was either pizza , Irish pub style or high end . Looking for a place to eat that is unique I guess to New York and has a varied menu. Would also like it to be located in the time square area or somewhere walkable from there as we will likely grab the path from there back to hotel. Thinking doing carols bakery in New York would be easier as we will be in that area

And yes I am wondering if going to Staten Island will be more work than it's worth.

I also don't think I'm going to save enough money using trinity to make it worth having to take shuttle.

Thanks

Triena

We will likely go to time square and Central Park , hoping to find somewhere interesting for dinner. Last time we went we did not have any luck finding anything in the time square area. Everything was either pizza , Irish pub style or high end . Looking for a place to eat that is unique I guess to New York and has a varied menu. Would also like it to be located in the time square area or somewhere walkable from there as we will likely grab the path from there back to hotel. Thinking doing carols bakery in New York would be easier as we will be in that area

And yes I am wondering if going to Staten Island will be more work than it's worth.

I also don't think I'm going to save enough money using trinity to make it worth having to take shuttle.

Thanks

Triena

Don't go to the Carlo's Bake Shop in Manhattan. It's in the Port Authority Bus Terminal and really not worth going 5 feet out of your way to visit. Personally I wouldn't bother going to the original store in Hoboken either, but at least you can see "the" Carlo's if you go there.

For "New York style" food in Times Square you might want to consider Junior's, which is at Broadway and W. 45th St. Be sure to have a piece of the original style Junior's cheesecake.

Don't stay on Staten Island. You'll spend too much time travelling to and from Manhattan. I was raised on Staten Island, so I have a lot of personal experience with the travel situation.

Thanks

Triena

I'm thinking about this one. IMO $100 is not realistic for an acceptable airport hotel when you include tax and probable parking fees. If you go into NYC from an airport hotel, it will cost $11-13/pp for adults each way and $9.60-11.75/pp for kids under 12 each way. Look at the Robert Treat in downtown Newark which has free parking, free breakfast, free wifi, and a free shuttle to Newark Penn Station to catch PATH to downtown or midtown for $2.75 or NJ transit to NY Penn Station for $5.50 adults or $2.45 kids.

Another option is to split your day in half. Get out early, drive to Liberty State Park, do the SOL, and come back to the hotel for a break. Then go into midtown for the evening.