CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Not Carol, but we are using Yankee Trails bus out of Rensselaer. $90 a person and they drop you off and pick you up at the port. We are from the Syracuse area and are using the service for the first time next Sunday. In the past we have stayed on Staten Island and Elizabeth New Jersey and really don't like driving in the traffic! Hopefully this works well, I will let you know how it was when we get back.

Carol

Do you know the best way to get to the port from Albany N. Y.

The family and I are going Nov. 11 7 day.

Thanks

Dick

You got good advice about Yankee Trails, but how many people are you? It's a Saturday - are you planning to come the day of the cruise?

If you decide to drive, it's a straight shot down I87 to route 17 to I80 to the NJ Turnpike to exit 14A. We lived off of route 17 many years ago - I'm sure it's changed a lot, but I would want to be through that stretch of road before the shopping centers open at 10'am.

Good evening everyone. I would like to thank you for an excellent and informative 'board' about Newark, NYC and area. Following information provided, we have booked the Ramada through the Trinity group (and an extra day on our own through the hotel) pre-cruise in June. As nice as the package was for the Best Western Plus, when you added the parking at the cruise port, costs for us was better with the Trinity group. Thank you Carol for sharing your experience using this option. We are planning a day in NYC pre-cruise and DH and I are have a debate about tickets for the SOL. I say the ticket time is when you have to be on the 'island' and he says that it is the time you p/u the ferry. We plan to drive from the hotel to Liberty Park, visit SOL (thinking about climbing the stairs to the crown) then Ellis Island and then on to the 9/11 memorial area in NYC. Do some sight seeing (perhaps the Empire Sate building this time) and head back to Liberty Park via a different ferry. My other question is with regards to public transit in NYC - do they have an all day pass available for purchase or do we have to drop money into the box each time we use public transit? When we visited 6 yrs ago, we hopped on the train from the Penn Station (beside the Hilton in Newark) and walked around. It was December so looked at all the store windows that were decorated and visited the 'tree' and watched people skating at Rockefeller. And then we took the train back to Newark.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Sue Mac (aka redlady62)

https://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/visit-the-crown.htm

https://www.statuecruises.com/statue-liberty-and-ellis-island-tickets#/

My read of all this is that you are buying the ferry time and you must be there at least a half hour earlier for the security check. If you go to the crown, you can only take a camera and medications, so read all the fine print there. There are apparently lockers you can rent. I also think that these are new procedures and that the crown ticket time used to be when you had to be on the island. Perhaps someone can comment on this.

The Liberty landing ferry runs until 8:45 weekdays and 7:45 weekends - http://www.libertylandingferry.com/

There is no day pass for the NYC subway. Hopefully someone else will tell you about using the Metro Card to load money and use one card for up to 4 fares at a time.

I don't recommend park/sleeps at the Best Western because of its location off routes 1&9 on the west side of the airport - much too accessible an area to ditch your car while on a cruise.

An absolute must if you want to go up into the statue. However, if you just want to go to Liberty Island on a Sunday morning, I don't think it's really necessary. We did it on a gorgeous Sunday in early Sep and had no problems getting tickets and no crowds from Liberty State Park.

My concern is if we aren't there for the timed tickets. It will depend on time we disembark (we do walk off) and shuttle from Ramada. How long from Ramada to liberty park?

Exactly what kind of tickets do you want to buy for the Statue? Realistically, I don't see you making a timed reservation before 9:30 am.

Please look at the ferry schedule from NJ - https://www.statuecruises.com/departure-schedule#/

The first ferry is at 9:30 am which is why the timed tickets are 9:00 am so there is time to get through security. The next ferry is at 10:40 which is why the timed tickets are 10:00 am.

How long are you planning to spend on Ellis Island? If you made the 9:30 am ferry, spent 1:10 on Ellis Island, and returned on the 11 am ferry, you would get back to Liberty State Park at 11:35 because the ferry returns via the SOL. That's the fastest you could do it, but it's a very quick trip and might not be realistic. You need to allow at least a half hour to get from the Ramada to Liberty State Park.

Early on a Sunday morning from Liberty State park I would definitely not buy timed tickets. I would just make every effort to get there by 9:00 without subjecting yourselves to the stress of worrying if you're going to make it. Liberty State Park is easy to access only by car. Public transit is doable, but not easy or convenient for tourists. This greatly reduces the number of people who access Ellis Island and the SOL from NJ.

My concern is if we aren't there for the timed tickets. It will depend on time we disembark (we do walk off) and shuttle from Ramada. How long from Ramada to liberty park?

Exactly what kind of tickets do you want to buy for the Statue? Realistically, I don't see you making a timed reservation before 9:30 am.

Carol

I know this is not the place but is WI_FI free??

This seems like a very helpful thread but I don't want to read all 135 pages to find my answer so I will just ask my own question. We have booked the Anthem for Feb 2018. I am just making some inquiries to make sure it is all doable for us. We would be flying from Winnipeg, MB, Canada and would like to see some of the sights in New York City before the cruise. What do you suggest seeing? Where do you suggest flying into and out of? Where do you suggest staying (reasonable, clean and safe)? What is the best way to get to sights and to the port? Do you suggest staying in NYC or near the port and travelling in each day? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This seems like a very helpful thread but I don't want to read all 135 pages to find my answer so I will just ask my own question. We have booked the Anthem for Feb 2018. I am just making some inquiries to make sure it is all doable for us. We would be flying from Winnipeg, MB, Canada and would like to see some of the sights in New York City before the cruise. What do you suggest seeing? Where do you suggest flying into and out of? Where do you suggest staying (reasonable, clean and safe)? What is the best way to get to sights and to the port? Do you suggest staying in NYC or near the port and travelling in each day? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Please answer some questions and provide as many details as possible:

1). What are the exact dates you need a hotel for before the cruise?

2). How many people? Bed size?

3). What is your hotel budget?

4) Any other factors like mobility issues or children?

This is just a start for the planning. Everyone wants to stay in Manhattan, but often the budget doesn't begin to cover the hotel cost. It ends up being a matter of balancing time, money, and stress.

Local transportation can end up being pricey - car service to and from the port from a Newark airport hotel or Manhattan. Public transit is also an option (accessible with luggage).

Newark Airport is likely to be your best choice, particularly for your return trip.

Please answer some questions and provide as many details as possible:

1). What are the exact dates you need a hotel for before the cruise?

2). How many people? Bed size?

3). What is your hotel budget?

4) Any other factors like mobility issues or children?

This is just a start for the planning. Everyone wants to stay in Manhattan, but often the budget doesn't begin to cover the hotel cost. It ends up being a matter of balancing time, money, and stress.

Local transportation can end up being pricey - car service to and from the port from a Newark airport hotel or Manhattan. Public transit is also an option (accessible with luggage).

Newark Airport is likely to be your best choice, particularly for your return trip.

Our cruise begins on Sunday Feb 25/18 so we might fly in on Wed or Thurs.

2 adults at this point Queen is fine

Hotel budget is as low as possible but still be safe, clean, etc We know that certain locations across the world are pricey no matter what but we would like it to be as reasonable as possible.

No mobility issues. No children. We took trains across Europe and used convertible ebags backpacks. Cruising we take these same convertible backpacks, one personal bag each and one 30" wheely between us so we are fine with public transportation that will still allow this.

Does anyone have any information on

flogo.png

69 New Hook Rd.

Bayonne, NJ 07002

Are they safe? Reliable?

This is a parking operation that has operated under multiple names over the years. It is less than parking at the port. It is also an open lot next to a storage facility and operates only when a cruise ship is in port - not a public parking operation manned 7x24. There are security concerns about the parking area (open to the public when the storage facility is open) as well as concerns about the insurance coverage for the "shuttle" operation. Caveat emptor.

Hotel budget is as low as possible but still be safe, clean, etc We know that certain locations across the world are pricey no matter what but we would like it to be as reasonable as possible.

No mobility issues. No children. We took trains across Europe and used convertible ebags backpacks. Cruising we take these same convertible backpacks, one personal bag each and one 30" wheely between us so we are fine with public transportation that will still allow this.

You're just a bit early for hotel rates for Feb 2018. However I am seeing some mid Feb rates that indicate you might be able to get a room for just under $200/night in midtown Manhattan. If you're interested in a lower rate, you will have to look at Newark, NJ and commute into the city (about a half hour) on NJ Transit and /or PATH.

This is a parking operation that has operated under multiple names over the years. It is less than parking at the port. It is also an open lot next to a storage facility and operates only when a cruise ship is in port - not a public parking operation manned 7x24. There are security concerns about the parking area (open to the public when the storage facility is open) as well as concerns about the insurance coverage for the "shuttle" operation. Caveat emptor.

Thank you.

I've had a chance to look more closely at some of the Marriott properties in midtown and I would suggest you do the same. Currently the web sites are listed until Feb 17, 2918, so prices for your dates should be up soon.

First of all consider joining Marriott rewards - members get reduced rates. Second of all consider staying 4 nights - Marriott offers an extended stay rate. For Feb 14-18, 2018, I'm seeing a base rate of $149 for Springhill Suites on W 37th between 5th and 6th with free wifi and breakfast. Hopefully that rate will become available for your dates. This is a great central location - Penn Station, Macy's, Times Square, 5th Ave, and PATH are within walking distance.

We are staying at one of the hotels on International Blvd (haven't decided which one yet). Our check-in time at the Port is 1030-1100. What time would someone suggest we leave the hotel?

9:45 - 10:00 should be just fine. It's a Sunday, so traffic will be light. Don't even give your checkin time a second thought - no one cares.