CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I just picked up my car at the Ramada this morning where it was parked for 12 days. No problems. I felt very comfortable leaving it there.

In reality there are no free shuttles - you pay for them in the package rate. You're on a 7 day cruise. Price out all your options - hotel room + $140 to park or park, sleep, cruise package for 4 people. If you just stay at an EWR hotel, they all charge extra for 1 night parking.

Yes I paid more for the shuttle through the package, , but i only booked one night through park, cruise, package. The first night I just booked direct and parking included. If you book through Expedia ect you pay 16.00 more for parking. I did the math and turns out same to stay and get shuttle or to drive to port and park. I'm leaning toward shuttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springhill is a good choice for your group. They have a free breakfast, but no restaurant. It us also very close to exit 14. Just remember the last ferry is 8:45 pm.

How early did you book tickets?

We booked 9am. 8am was the earliest option... but a little bit of extra sleep on vacation sounded too good to give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked 9am. 8am was the earliest option... but a little bit of extra sleep on vacation sounded too good to give up.

9 am is still very early. On a Wed you will have to deal with rush hour traffic on I78 East. Work the schedule backwards. How early do they recommend you arrive at the ferry? I'm thinking at least a half hour so you can get through security (read the security regulations). I'd allow an hour to get from the Ramada to Liberty State Park, so my advice would be to leave the Ramada no later than 7:30 am.

Don't buy your 911 tickets too early.

Oh wow! That's good to know.

To piggyback on 138's advice not to get your 9/11 museum tickets too early (which is great advice) you can see some of the area without tickets you only need the tickets for the museum. There is also a mall with nice food court and bathrooms across West Street. It's even possible to walk the Brooklyn Bridge it's all within blocks. Some tourists like Century 21 Department Store which sells designer clothes cheap.

Even to go to the memorial is enough. Some of the museum is very graphic. It's not for everyone. Jmo

We have 10 am tickets on a Saturday. We are planning on riding bus to Newark penn from the ramada. Then take path. Assuming we get 8:00 am bus, how long does rest of journey take?

You have "wtc" tickets at 10:00 am on a Sat (I'm assuming you mean 911 Memorial tickets) The #40 bus should get you to Newark Penn Station by 8:30. PATH takes 22 minutes to the World Trade Center area, so you should be there no later than 9:15. The 911 Memorial entrance is just south of PATH on Greenwich Street. It's a completely different trip - different day of the week, different route, different destination. Just be sure you read the security rules as to what you can take with you.

We have 10 am tickets on a Saturday. We are planning on riding bus to Newark penn from the ramada. Then take path. Assuming we get 8:00 am bus, how long does rest of journey take?

You have "wtc" tickets at 10:00 am on a Sat (I'm assuming you mean 911 Memorial tickets) The #40 bus should get you to Newark Penn Station by 8:30. PATH takes 22 minutes to the World Trade Center area, so you should be there no later than 9:15. The 911 Memorial entrance is just south of PATH on Greenwich Street. It's a completely different trip - different day of the week, different route, different destination. Just be sure you read the security rules as to what you can take with you.

I really want to thank you for helping me plan our pre cruise adventure. I am good at reading schedules ect, but hearing from a voice of experience is invaluable. Much appreciated!!

First time Cruising out of Port Liberty---I live in Brooklyn-- Sailing on Monday April17 Anthem-- Never been to Bayonne by Bus. Is it Path or NJ Transit??/ Thanks for the Help any thread???:confused:

What subway station do you live near in Brooklyn? Is it accessible with luggage? Have you done the public transit thing before with luggage to get to the Manhattan cruise terminal?

Basically you want to get to either PATH at 33rd St & 6th (connects to N, R, Q, W) or PATH at the World Trade Center (close to the R W at Cortlandt St and Fulton St). Coming from Brooklyn the WTC would probably be better.

From the WTC you take PATH one stop to Exchange Place, walk across a small plaza to the street level light rail station, and take the 8th St Bayonne train to 34th St.

From 33rd St you take PATH to Hoboken, take the elevator up to the street level, and walk all the way to the left platforms to get the 8th St light rail Bayonne train to 34th St.

At 34th St you call Uber, Lyft, or a cab

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

PATH is $2.75/pp, light rail is $2.25/pp, and cab into the port is $10-12.

Once you make it to PATH, this is a very easy trip (think wrong way at rush hour - always possible to get seats) and totally accessible. I have done it several times on different routes.

NJ Transit map with Path and light rail map

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

NJ Transit - find schedule

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Path Map

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Map

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

You Tube - Exchange Place

Edited by 138east

Which would you pick...Elements hotel or Hilton Penn Station if cost was equal

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

It's Newark. It's a highly urban industrialized area. It's not a vacation destination.

The Hilton Penn Station is right at Newark Penn Station with a skywalk to the Station for access to both NJ Transit to New York Penn Station, PATH access to World Trade, and local buses. It's a major transportation hub with lots of foot traffic.

The Element is across the river by the Harrison PATH Station. The area is more deserted and isolated and only has direct access to PATH.

Between the two hotels I would choose the Hilton Penn Station. I would not stay in Harrison regardless of how nice the hotel might be. However, I really liked the Robert Treat hotel. For most dates it's much more budget friendly with free breakfast, free wifi, free parking, and free shuttle to EWR and/or Newark Penn Station.

Bayonne Bridge is now cashless toll crossing (via EZ-Pass or Pay-by-Mail) and open with 60+ taller elevated deck - with 1 lane each direction, aside from planned closure. Just a FYI for what it's worth & future reference.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2017/02/20/newly-raised-bayonne-bridge-now-open-to-vehicles-.html

As NJ & Cape Liberty experts here noted on the other thread - it will primary be of interest to those using/coming to & from Staten Island crossing (possibly Newark Airport ?) GPS Navigation/Map users including Waze app - they are known to get "confused" with misleading turns & info as one driver, I've seen this myself fairly recently coming off the NJ Turnpike & getting onto Rt. 440, due to ongoing & sporadic highway/road/bridge detour & construction - drive with care if unfamiliar with/near the Cape Liberty area.

Like most other metro NY area infrastructure projects and work in progress, this isn't completely done or finished, plan is for 2019 to be all finalized & 100% ready, hopefully. Potholes and cracks on the roadways & highways that are tire-busters - those are diffferent matters to be addressed, LOL.

What subway station do you live near in Brooklyn? Is it accessible with luggage? Have you done the public transit thing before with luggage to get to the Manhattan cruise terminal?Basically you want to get to either PATH at 33rd St & 6th (connects to N, R, Q, W) or PATH at the World Trade Center (close to the R W at Cortlandt St and Fulton St). Coming from Brooklyn the WTC would probably be better.

From the WTC you take PATH one stop to Exchange Place, walk across a small plaza to the street level light rail station, and take the 8th St Bayonne train to 34th St.

From 33rd St you take PATH to Hoboken, take the elevator up to the street level, and walk all the way to the left platforms to get the 8th St light rail Bayonne train to 34th St.

At 34th St you call Uber, Lyft, or a cab

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

PATH is $2.75/pp, light rail is $2.25/pp, and cab into the port is $10-12.

Once you make it to PATH, this is a very easy trip (think wrong way at rush hour - always possible to get seats) and totally accessible. I have done it several times on different routes.

NJ Transit map with Path and light rail map

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

NJ Transit - find schedule

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Path Map

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Map

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

You Tube - Exchange Place

Thank You Carol!!!!--I have done two bags each to West side Highway Terminal---I will go to WTC Path and follow your instructions. Just took a picture on my phone. This seems easy compared to worrying about the Bayonne bridge open or /closed---I know it is open for now!! Uber wanted $70 from Marine park to Bayonne--NOT!! Thanks keep up the Great work!!<3

Hello arriving newark airport 6/3 for a 6/4 cruise out of Bayonne. Best hotel with nearby shopping? Thanks

What kind of shopping? No wine. "Sundries" are a problem. Outlet shopping is Jersey Gardens Mall - http://www.simon.com/mall/the-mills-at-jersey-gardens/stores

The hotels next to this mall are on International Blvd in Elizabeth - Courtyard, Country Inns, Embassy Suites, and Residence Inn. You can buy add on shuttle service from Country Inns or Embassy Suites.

What kind of shopping? No wine. "Sundries" are a problem. Outlet shopping is Jersey Gardens Mall - http://www.simon.com/mall/the-mills-at-jersey-gardens/stores

The hotels next to this mall are on International Blvd in Elizabeth - Courtyard, Country Inns, Embassy Suites, and Residence Inn. You can buy add on shuttle service from Country Inns or Embassy Suites.

Thank you for this info!!

I'm taking the shuttle at 9 or 10 and my appointment is for 1 pm

On the return I'd aim for a 10am shuttle to allow yourself plenty of time at EWR. The hotel shuttle will drop off at the hotel first and then at P4 for the transfer to the Airtrain. I asked Trinity this question just this week.

We're sailing on Anthem on 3/5 - also doing the Trinity package at Ramada. I'm curious to hear your check-in experience. Which time did shuttle leave from hotel, what time did you get to the port, how long was checkin, did you have to wait before boarding, etc? We got 12:30 appointment but planning to get there early and board as soon as possible. :-)

Also, how did you disembark (self or assigned group) and how long did you have to wait for return shuttle?

Thanks for any info/tips you can provide!! Can't wait for our week on Anthem!!

We're sailing on Anthem on 3/5 - also doing the Trinity package at Ramada. I'm curious to hear your check-in experience. Which time did shuttle leave from hotel, what time did you get to the port, how long was checkin, did you have to wait before boarding, etc? We got 12:30 appointment but planning to get there early and board as soon as possible. :-)

Also, how did you disembark (self or assigned group) and how long did you have to wait for return shuttle?

Thanks for any info/tips you can provide!! Can't wait for our week on Anthem!!

It was all very easy. Signed up for the shuttle with the Concierge upon at hotel check in. Choices were 9 am and 10 am and perhaps later. Signed up for 10 am, which was just fine. Travel time that day was 22 minutes. Ship check in was the usual security line, and a short wait in the seating area for them to come around with the iPads for check in after which I just walked onto the ship.

For disembarkation I had #2 but I self disembarked at 7:00 am - no customs lines at that hour and no scavenger hunt for luggage for me. Outside at area C in the bus area I met others who had already called for the shuttle which came at 7:45. You have to call the hotel to tell them you are actually off the ship so they can put you on the list.

Back at the hotel about 8:10, loaded up my luggage, and got my parking ticket validated at the desk. By 8:20 I was on my way home.

IMO you have to be prepared for potential traffic and disembarkation delays due to the time and day of the week. It probably isn't realistic to expect the shuttle to leave before 7:45 am.

I think this was a great package and would do it again. The hotel has been buffed up since I last stayed there. The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable with free wifi and the other expected amenities.

Good evening everyone. I would like to thank you for an excellent and informative 'board' about Newark, NYC and area. Following information provided, we have booked the Ramada through the Trinity group (and an extra day on our own through the hotel) pre-cruise in June. As nice as the package was for the Best Western Plus, when you added the parking at the cruise port, costs for us was better with the Trinity group. Thank you Carol for sharing your experience using this option. We are planning a day in NYC pre-cruise and DH and I are have a debate about tickets for the SOL. I say the ticket time is when you have to be on the 'island' and he says that it is the time you p/u the ferry. We plan to drive from the hotel to Liberty Park, visit SOL (thinking about climbing the stairs to the crown) then Ellis Island and then on to the 9/11 memorial area in NYC. Do some sight seeing (perhaps the Empire Sate building this time) and head back to Liberty Park via a different ferry. My other question is with regards to public transit in NYC - do they have an all day pass available for purchase or do we have to drop money into the box each time we use public transit? When we visited 6 yrs ago, we hopped on the train from the Penn Station (beside the Hilton in Newark) and walked around. It was December so looked at all the store windows that were decorated and visited the 'tree' and watched people skating at Rockefeller. And then we took the train back to Newark.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Sue Mac (aka redlady62)