CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

June 20. There are three of us- one is 12 yrs old. We have a car- but are open to whatever transportation is most convenient from our hotel to and from Ripley's and Intrepid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Basically you have three choices - NJ transit train to New York Penn Station from Newark Airport for $13/pp each way, cab to Newark Penn Station ($20-25) and train for $5.25/pp each way, or drive and park at Secaucus Junction($30/day plus $3.50 tolls) and train for $4.25/pp each way)

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

There are certainly other options - drive into to Newark or Jersey City to park and take PATH to New York.

I just booked a cruise on the RC Anthem 2 days ago which departs on April 17th from Bayonne. :o Please forgive my not having time to read the hundreds of posts to this thread, but I hope someone can help me.

I will be staying in an airport area hotel in Newark, and need to know the cheapest, reliable options for transportation to the Bayonne cruise terminal. I am traveling solo.

Thanks so much in advance for all suggestions!

Peggy

What hotel are you booked in at the airport. Is it cancellable? What are you paying for the hotel?

I am also a solo traveler and have done this trip, but I stayed in Downtown Newark and took PATH to Exchange Place ($2.75) and the Hudson-Bergen light rail to Bayonne 34th Street($2.25), and a cab into the port $10-12). This is an accessible trip. For $175 all taxes included you can book the Ramada at trinityreservations.com and get a room plus round trip port transportation. I did this in Feb.

It will cost you $55-65 to book a car service to the port. Coming back you can get a shared shuttle to the airport for $20/pp, so you're looking at $75-85 in transportation costs.

If you can cancel your hotel, I would do it and book the trinity reservations package.

I just booked a cruise on the RC Anthem 2 days ago which departs on April 17th from Bayonne. :o Please forgive my not having time to read the hundreds of posts to this thread, but I hope someone can help me.

I will be staying in an airport area hotel in Newark, and need to know the cheapest, reliable options for transportation to the Bayonne cruise terminal. I am traveling solo.

Thanks so much in advance for all suggestions!

Peggy

Try trinity resrvations. Ramada inn. 207.00. For room, parking and shuttle to and from port. Or o think 179.00 if you don't need parking. Good hotel reliable and timely shuttle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What hotel are you booked in at the airport. Is it cancellable? What are you paying for the hotel?

I am also a solo traveler and have done this trip, but I stayed in Downtown Newark and took PATH to Exchange Place ($2.75) and the Hudson-Bergen light rail to Bayonne 34th Street($2.25), and a cab into the port $10-12). This is an accessible trip. For $175 all taxes included you can book the Ramada at trinityreservations.com and get a room plus round trip port transportation. I did this in Feb.

It will cost you $55-65 to book a car service to the port. Coming back you can get a shared shuttle to the airport for $20/pp, so you're looking at $75-85 in transportation costs.

If you can cancel your hotel, I would do it and book the trinity reservations package.

Thanks so much for the quick replies, 138east and goingplaces1132! Unfortunately, I already have a non-refundable reservation at the Springhill Suites, so I need separate plan to get to the port. Would Uber be the cheapest option since I'm traveling solo?

Thanks so much for the quick replies, 138east and goingplaces1132! Unfortunately, I already have a non-refundable reservation at the Springhill Suites, so I need separate plan to get to the port. Would Uber be the cheapest option since I'm traveling solo?

If you're not going to use public transit, Uber is probably your cheapest option. Folks have been posting good rates, but I have no experience using it. There is probably no down side to going early at 9:30-10 am. Anthem typically boards very early and it's nice to be among the first on board.

Another thing I would do is to post on your roll call to see if anyone else is staying at Springhill Suites and is interested in sharing a ride.

If you're not going to use public transit, Uber is probably your cheapest option. Folks have been posting good rates, but I have no experience using it. There is probably no down side to going early at 9:30-10 am. Anthem typically boards very early and it's nice to be among the first on board.

Another thing I would do is to post on your roll call to see if anyone else is staying at Springhill Suites and is interested in sharing a ride.

Thanks again, 138east! I've never used Uber either, but may just give it a try. And yes, I'll check on our roll call board.

Hello everyone:) I read through many posts, but didn't find the answers... hoping someone can help me or direct me in the right way. We are booked on Anthem of the Seas on May 20 from Beyonne, NJ. We live a few hours away by car so we plan to drive and park at the port. After the cruise we were hoping to spend a few hours in New York and visit a couple of touristy attractions. We won't have much time, and I fully realize we won't be able to do much but still hope to do something. We plan to return to NY one day to spend a weekend, but as I said this time it will be a short visit.

So my question is.. is there an easy way to get to Manthattan from the Beyonne port? For example, to Rockefeller Center or Ground Zero, or Central Park?

We could drive there after the cruise, but realistically how long will that take on a Thursday morning?

Or should we stick to Ellis Island/statue of liberty only? How easy is it to get to that? Any advice would be appreciated.

Drive to the Newport Centre Mall in Jersey City and park in their lot (it's hourly, 22 for the entire day) or in one of the other local lots down there. Then you can get on PATH which will take you in to 33rd St. There's no real direct transportation from Bayonne unless you park in the light rail lot, take the light rail to Jersey City and get on PATH.

The drive to Jersey City is not long, maybe a half hour in rush hour, 15-20 minutes any other time. You can take PATH to 33rd from the Newport station, or you can transfer and get a train to World Trade. The rides on the train are about 15 minutes at the most.

Hello everyone:) I read through many posts, but didn't find the answers... hoping someone can help me or direct me in the right way. We are booked on Anthem of the Seas on May 20 from Beyonne, NJ. We live a few hours away by car so we plan to drive and park at the port. After the cruise we were hoping to spend a few hours in New York and visit a couple of touristy attractions. We won't have much time, and I fully realize we won't be able to do much but still hope to do something. We plan to return to NY one day to spend a weekend, but as I said this time it will be a short visit.

So my question is.. is there an easy way to get to Manthattan from the Beyonne port? For example, to Rockefeller Center or Ground Zero, or Central Park?

We could drive there after the cruise, but realistically how long will that take on a Thursday morning?

Or should we stick to Ellis Island/statue of liberty only? How easy is it to get to that? Any advice would be appreciated.

On a Thursday morning you will encounter inbound rush hour traffic trying to drive into Manhattan. Beyond that you would have the expense of parking your car.

To get to midtown Manhattan for Rockefeller Center and Central Park, you could drive to Secaucus Junction at exit 15X on the NJ Turnpike, pay $30 to park, and take the train to New York Penn Station for $4.25/pp. From there you can walk or take the bus or subway uptown to those destinations.

To get to the SOL/Ellis Island and/or downtown Manhattan you can drive one exit to Liberty State Park at exit 14B and pay $7 to park. From there you can go by ferry to downtown Manhattan near the 911 Memorial on the Liberty Landing ferry for $7/pp. You can also go to the SOL and/or Ellis Island (basic adult ticket is $18.50). From the islands it is possible to return to Manhattan, explore downtown, and return to Liberty State Park by the Liberty Landing ferry - http://www.libertylandingferry.com/

IMO the Liberty State Park option will maximize your time and minimize your aggravation.

Drive to the Newport Centre Mall in Jersey City and park in their lot (it's hourly, 22 for the entire day) or in one of the other local lots down there. Then you can get on PATH which will take you in to 33rd St. There's no real direct transportation from Bayonne unless you park in the light rail lot, take the light rail to Jersey City and get on PATH.

The drive to Jersey City is not long, maybe a half hour in rush hour, 15-20 minutes any other time. You can take PATH to 33rd from the Newport station, or you can transfer and get a train to World Trade. The rides on the train are about 15 minutes at the most.

I like that idea as well. It's a bit more complicated driving the local streets there on a weekday morning, but hopefully the GPS will work well in the area. That's probably what I would do, but I thought Secaucus Junction might be more of a no brainer for someone who doesn't know the area.

I like that idea as well. It's a bit more complicated driving the local streets there on a weekday morning, but hopefully the GPS will work well in the area. That's probably what I would do, but I thought Secaucus Junction might be more of a no brainer for someone who doesn't know the area.

I like both ideas, what you suggested sounds easier..we do not know the area .. if we take the ferry to battery park, we could walk to the 9/11 memorial and Brooklyn bridge from what I read. We really wanted top of the rock too, so we have sine thinking to do. Thanks again!

I like both ideas, what you suggested sounds easier..we do not know the area .. if we take the ferry to battery park, we could walk to the 9/11 memorial and Brooklyn bridge from what I read. We really wanted top of the rock too, so we have sine thinking to do. Thanks again!

Consider going up the Freedom Tower instead.

Consider going up the Freedom Tower instead.

Just looked that up and that will be the best option for us, thanks again! The only trick will be choosing the right time as you have to select a specific time for entry. Anyway, this is our plan now:

Drive to liberty park, park car and take ferry to downtown manhattan, then visit the freedom tower/ground zero and possibly Brooklyn bridge. Take ferry back. If we are really good on time visit SOL.

I do really like the other option as well to drive to Jersey City first but it will take significantly longer overall.

Like I said we plan to come back to NYC in the fall for a long weekend so will plan Top of the rock, Central Park etc for that trip.

Just looked that up and that will be the best option for us, thanks again! The only trick will be choosing the right time as you have to select a specific time for entry. Anyway, this is our plan now:

Drive to liberty park, park car and take ferry to downtown manhattan, then visit the freedom tower/ground zero and possibly Brooklyn bridge. Take ferry back. If we are really good on time visit SOL.

I do really like the other option as well to drive to Jersey City first but it will take significantly longer overall.

Like I said we plan to come back to NYC in the fall for a long weekend so will plan Top of the rock, Central Park etc for that trip.

How many hours are you allocating to this before you have to leave for home?

If you want to actually visit the SOL, you really have to do that first from Liberty state park and then continue on to Manhattan. You would return by the Liberty Landing ferry from the World Trade area (see link provided for schedule and ferry location in Manhattan). Going out to the SOL is time consuming.

How many hours are you allocating to this before you have to leave for home?

If you want to actually visit the SOL, you really have to do that first from Liberty state park and then continue on to Manhattan. You would return by the Liberty Landing ferry from the World Trade area (see link provided for schedule and ferry location in Manhattan). Going out to the SOL is time consuming.

You're right, we'll have to choose either SOL or world Trade area. We hope to get leave the Jersey area to head home around 2 pm, give or take.

We will aim to get off the ship 8-8:30.

FYI - news that motorists using the Holland Tunnel don't really wanted to read or hear. the nearby Pulaski Skyway reconstruction has fallen behind schedule again and this summer's opening pushed back to next Spring (2018) ... fingers crossed.

http://abc7ny.com/traffic/pulaski-skyway-reopening-pushed-back---again/1868902/

Hi, we're on Anthem May 6 (Sat am) to May 11 (Thurs am). We're staying at the BW Robert Treat from 5/4-6. Question on each direction below - thanks for any advice!

Saturday am - looking at private car service (pick-up at 9 am at hotel)

2 adults, 1 carry-on size, 1 26" checked bag (plus tote/backpack on us) - quotes around $ 69

1) Is this the best option? Should we consider Uber (possibly lower cost) at this time of day as it's a Saturday?

Thursday am - pickup at 8 am to Newark - quote around $50

I realize it is a work day and more traffic on the return. We will do self-disembark (Diamond Plus on RCCL so we're familiar with the drill)

I have Amtrak to catch at 9:56 am so I would plan to have drop off at Terminal C and ride the monorail over (have ticket already). DH has a flight at 12:35 so he has plenty of time to get through security and to right terminal for departure.

1) Private car service - best option? I've seen recent reports of Uber, but a Thursday morning makes me more inclined to have a pre-arranged car

2) Is 8:00 a good pick-up time given my train time? Google maps shows typical commute at 25-40 minutes at this time.

Thanks! I'll be happy to report back on both journeys once we're back.

Hi, we're on Anthem May 6 (Sat am) to May 11 (Thurs am). We're staying at the BW Robert Treat from 5/4-6. Question on each direction below - thanks for any advice!

2 adults, 1 carry-on size, 1 26" checked bag (plus tote/backpack on us) - quotes around $ 69

1) Is this the best option? Should we consider Uber (possibly lower cost) at this time of day as it's a Saturday?

I realize it is a work day and more traffic on the return. We will do self-disembark (Diamond Plus on RCCL so we're familiar with the drill)

I have Amtrak to catch at 9:56 am so I would plan to have drop off at Terminal C and ride the monorail over (have ticket already). DH has a flight at 12:35 so he has plenty of time to get through security and to right terminal for departure.

1) Private car service - best option? I've seen recent reports of Uber, but a Thursday morning makes me more inclined to have a pre-arranged car

2) Is 8:00 a good pick-up time given my train time? Google maps shows typical commute at 25-40 minutes at this time.

Sat am - You can consider Uber. I recommend leaving around 10 am.

Thur am - private car because you are under a time constraint. 8 am is good.

We used Summit Taxi, which was a sedan, for ride from Robert Treat to Anthem on March 26th, and it was only $50.00. You can google them if you are interested in a price quote.