CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Thanks for the info. If anyone has suggestions that would be great too!

I was going to suggest the Robert Treat as well. I'm a local and there's really not much choice in the way of hotels. It's either awful old no-tell Motels on the ancient highways or expensive hotels in the built-up areas. There are some great places in downtown Jersey City with access to PATH into Manhattan, but they are a fortune. The PATH ride from Newark is an additional 13 minutes but well worth the difference in price.

My Mother-in-Law sometimes gets good rates at the older hotels in Manhattan near Penn Station. She has stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania for about 75 a night. She's stayed at the New Yorker for about 125. You can check the usual hotel consolidators. Rates might be down a bit this year because European tourism is off.

Good news for those who like to sail out of Cape Liberty. The South Cove Commons in Bayonne went before the council and they have approved a hotel! I hope it's built quickly.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2017/05/south_cove_commons_redevelopment_plan_approved_sec.html

A lot of Bayonne cruisers are within (relatively) short driving distances-- I think they would be better served making transportation options more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise with RC Leaving Cape Liberty on Oct 23, 2017. Thinking of flying into Newark 1-2 days early no car. Where is good reasonable place to stay. Also best options for getting from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise terminal. If we come 2 days early would like to see Statue of Liberty or maybe do the hop on/off bus tour. Is that possible? How easy would it be to do either of those.

We sailed out of Cape Liberty last month. We also arrived 2 days early. Booked Hilton Newark Penn Station (were able to book on points). Hotel has free shuttle shuttle from EWR to hotel, (think it runs on the half hour but I called day before to arrange pickup), free Wifi, there is a restaurant/bar (no comp breakfast). They are connected to Newark Penn train station and it is approx 23 minutes via PATH to WTC, $2.25 pp. They arranged Lincoln SUV for 3 of us and our luggage for $60 total to Cape Liberty morning of cruise. Clean, smooth ride and driver avoided construction areas. After cruise 2 of us took a "shared shuttle" from port to EWR Tofly home that afternoon. Shuttle is $20 pp, not as comfy as the SUV but got us there. Enjoy your cruise!

We will be sailing on the Vision TA and will be debarking in Cape Liberty on September 7. We are flying home from Newark-EWR that day. I originally scheduled a 2:20 PM flight, but just received a notification of a flight change. The flight is now scheduled to leave at 12:55 PM. Since this is our first time debarking in Cape Liberty and I'm not sure of the timing, I'm wondering if the new flight time might be too early. My concern is that ship debarkation might be a bit longer than usual as the ship is arriving from Europe. Your helpful advice is always appreciated.

We sailed out of Cape Liberty last month. We also arrived 2 days early. Booked Hilton Newark Penn Station (were able to book on points). Hotel has free shuttle shuttle from EWR to hotel, (think it runs on the half hour but I called day before to arrange pickup), free Wifi, there is a restaurant/bar (no comp breakfast). They are connected to Newark Penn train station and it is approx 23 minutes via PATH to WTC, $2.25 pp. They arranged Lincoln SUV for 3 of us and our luggage for $60 total to Cape Liberty morning of cruise. Clean, smooth ride and driver avoided construction areas. After cruise 2 of us took a "shared shuttle" from port to EWR Tofly home that afternoon. Shuttle is $20 pp, not as comfy as the SUV but got us there. Enjoy your cruise!

I just read your post, and I have been trying to find a shuttle from the cruise port to EWR that didn't cost an arm and a leg. What was the name of the shuttle service you used and did you book online or just saw it and used it when you came off that ship. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

I just read your post, and I have been trying to find a shuttle from the cruise port to EWR that didn't cost an arm and a leg. What was the name of the shuttle service you used and did you book online or just saw it and used it when you came off that ship. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

There's no name for the shuttle from the port to EWR, nor do you book anything in advance. You'll find the staging area after you walk out of the cruise terminal. There's a dispatcher supervising the shuttle process.

There's no name for the shuttle from the port to EWR, nor do you book anything in advance. You'll find the staging area after you walk out of the cruise terminal. There's a dispatcher supervising the shuttle process.

Thanks, njhorseman, this is the first cruise I don't have advanced transportation planned, so never had to find shuttle service first off the ship. Now, this info has taken a worry off my shoulders and all I need to do now is sit back and enjoy my cruise.

I have a 12:30pm flight out of EWR after my cruise on Anthem this October...should I rely on the shuttle to get me there in time or opt for private transportation. Thanks

I have a question, 2 elderly friends in 70's but still active, flying into Newark , they want to see New York before the cruise on 01 October from Cape Liberty on Vision of the Seas,

Would staying in a hotel in Newark be a tad cheaper than in New York ? and is it doable by transit from Newark into New York ?

Any hotels you can recommend that have a free airport and port transfer ?

Thanks for any help you can give us.

I have a 12:30pm flight out of EWR after my cruise on Anthem this October...should I rely on the shuttle to get me there in time or opt for private transportation. Thanks

We were on the Summit last year and had a 12:15 flight. We had the ship take our luggage off and we caught a shuttle that we paid for through our hotels 3rd party to the airport had plenty of time....which is a good thing as our fudge looked like C4 and we were pulled aside in security...oops. We did however make sure we were in the first group getting off that the ship handled our bags.

We docked in NJ is that where the Anthem docks or does it dock over in NY?

I have a question, 2 elderly friends in 70's but still active, flying into Newark , they want to see New York before the cruise on 01 October from Cape Liberty on Vision of the Seas,

Would staying in a hotel in Newark be a tad cheaper than in New York ? and is it doable by transit from Newark into New York ?

Any hotels you can recommend that have a free airport and port transfer ?

Thanks for any help you can give us.

While hotel prices in Newark would as a rule be cheaper than in NY, without doing individual price checking for various hotels on the exact dates in question one can't say with absolute certainty that would be true on the days when your friends will be there.

Virtually every hotel in the Newark area will have a free shuttle from the airport. Virtually no hotel will have a free shuttle to the port, with the exception of whatever fly/stay/cruise packages might be available from a booking agent such as trinityreservations.com. Normally there are at best one or two hotels with such packages but they are typically not hotels that are convenient for travel into NY City.

I would start by looking what might be available at the Newark Penn Station Hilton, which attached via a walkway to Newark Penn Station. There are two means of transportation available to NY City at Newark Penn Station, NJ Transit trains, and PATH, a subway-like train. Alternatively look at the Robert Treat Hotel which isn't far away. They have a free shuttle between the hotel and Newark Penn Station. Note that Newark is a somewhat gritty city, and I wouldn't recommend walking other than in busy areas.

We were on the Summit last year and had a 12:15 flight. We had the ship take our luggage off and we caught a shuttle that we paid for through our hotels 3rd party to the airport had plenty of time....which is a good thing as our fudge looked like C4 and we were pulled aside in security...oops. We did however make sure we were in the first group getting off that the ship handled our bags.

We docked in NJ is that where the Anthem docks or does it dock over in NY?

Yes, the Anthem docks at Cape Liberty, the same cruise terminal used by the Summit.

Would you recommend the shuttle over an uber? How much is the shuttle? It's only my aunt leaving for EWR, as the rest of us live in NJ. However, the 3 of us were planning on travelling with her to the airport to see her off.

Hello all,

I posted into this thread a little while ago about an upcoming cruise we are taking out of Cape Liberty in August with Celebrity.

My original thoughts were posted in a thread a while back, however I wondered if I could get some info on the following:

- We fly into JFK on the evening of Friday 18th August and cruise on Sunday 20th August departing from Cape Liberty

- We want to visit the Jersey Garden outlet mall on the Saturday as we're from the UK and want to take advantage of cheap shopping

- I originally planned to taxi over to Newark. However I've seen the cost to rent a car for a couple of days and it's appealing. I'm wondering though, does anyone know the expected toll charges travelling from JFK airport to Newark area? I've driven in the US a lot and am confident on the roads.

- Additionally, this would mean we can cast our net wider with hotels in New Jersey and hopefully get a cheaper place to stay. Does anyone have any Hilton brand recommendations for that area? I say Hilton, it's because I have membership with them and get good perks

- Where would the best place to get a shuttle from to Cape Liberty on the morning of our cruise? It needs to be somewhere I can to rental car drop-off. Cost estimates?

- I presume Cape Liberty doesn't have a rental car drop-off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks,

Tom

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Forums mobile app

Would you recommend the shuttle over an uber? How much is the shuttle? It's only my aunt leaving for EWR, as the rest of us live in NJ. However, the 3 of us were planning on travelling with her to the airport to see her off.

The shuttle is $20 per person. with four people traveling Uber should be a lot cheaper than the shuttle. You just have to book a big enough Uber...maybe an Uber XL.

How were the rest of you getting to your destinations after traveling to EWR with your aunt?

The shuttle is $20 per person. with four people traveling Uber should be a lot cheaper than the shuttle. You just have to book a big enough Uber...maybe an Uber XL.

How were the rest of you getting to your destinations after traveling to EWR with your aunt?

Was going to take the rail to Linden, where I live.

There was a long line (everyone self disembarks) but I would say we were off the ship by 7:38 and through customs. I had uber pulled up on my app and as we walked away from the customs desk I hit the button. Took him about 15 minutes to get to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What time did you clock off ship in order to be through customs by 7:38 A.M. ?

Have ordered car for 8:15 A.M. & am worried.

We are Canadian but will have immediately visited 5 other U.S. ports before debarking in Bayonne, N.J.

Hello all,

I posted into this thread a little while ago about an upcoming cruise we are taking out of Cape Liberty in August with Celebrity.

My original thoughts were posted in a thread a while back, however I wondered if I could get some info on the following:

- We fly into JFK on the evening of Friday 18th August and cruise on Sunday 20th August departing from Cape Liberty

- We want to visit the Jersey Garden outlet mall on the Saturday as we're from the UK and want to take advantage of cheap shopping

- I originally planned to taxi over to Newark. However I've seen the cost to rent a car for a couple of days and it's appealing. I'm wondering though, does anyone know the expected toll charges travelling from JFK airport to Newark area? I've driven in the US a lot and am confident on the roads.

- Additionally, this would mean we can cast our net wider with hotels in New Jersey and hopefully get a cheaper place to stay. Does anyone have any Hilton brand recommendations for that area? I say Hilton, it's because I have membership with them and get good perks

- Where would the best place to get a shuttle from to Cape Liberty on the morning of our cruise? It needs to be somewhere I can to rental car drop-off. Cost estimates?

Thanks,

Tom

I can't quote an exact toll from JFK to the Newark area without knowing the route you'll be taking, but I'd use $20 as an estimate.

When you say you've driven in the US a lot, does it include driving in NY City and the urban areas of Northern New Jersey? Driving here is not like driving almost anywhere else.

There's not going to be a car rental drop off that will be in proximity to any type of shuttle to the port. In fact shuttles to Cape Liberty essentially don't exist with the exception of what is arranged by certain hotels and either included as part of a package or charged to you separately at a per person rate. Most car rentals will have to be dropped at EWR. Enterprise has a rental location in Bayonne, but it's not near the port and that location isn't even open on Sunday.

You have to understand that the Newark/Elizabeth/Bayonne area is a crowded, gritty urban and industrial area with a tangled network of highways that are next to impossible to drive on even for us natives. It's not a vacation destination where you can easily just go out for a casual pleasure drive.

I can't personally recommend a Hilton-branded hotel in that area, not because they don't exist, but because I've never stayed in any of them. The Embassy Suites in Elizabeth on International Blvd. is one of the newest hotels in the area, is adjacent to the outlet mall you want to visit, and does have packages that include transportation to Cape Liberty.

Edited by njhorseman

Was going to take the rail to Linden, where I live.

OK...less than a 15 minute NJT ride from the Newark Airport Station, but in case you didn't know, because you'll be using the Airtrain from the airport to connect to your NJT train, the adult fare will be $9.75 per person to Linden due to the Newark Airport Rail Station access fee. If all three of you are going back to Linden it might be cheaper to take a taxi or Uber from the airport.

Hello all,

Thanks,

Tom

Using Google maps, the route suggested takes you over the Verazanno Narrows Bridge. There would be no toll as the booths collect the $18 fare on the entry into Staten Island, there are no toll booths going into NJ.

There is a Hampton Inn-Newark Airport in Elizabeth NJ, that would be close to the Jersey Gardens mall.

There are car rental agencies, to return your vehicle, in Elizabeth and at Newark Airport. There is no rental location at Cape Liberty. You would have to arrange transportation to the port from your rental car return location.

I cannot help you with costs but if you search this board, I know you will find the answer. Better yet, if 138 east responds to your post she will have answers to all of your questions.

Thank you for the replies so far. Some of the suggested hotels are the ones I have seen too.

In terms of driving, I'll be fine. I've driven most of the big cities in Florida and California plus Continental Europe is 'fun' at times.

The replies so far haven't been a resounding no which says for this trip it might just work. Thank you.