CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Using Google maps, the route suggested takes you over the Verazanno Narrows Bridge. There would be no toll as the booths collect the $18 fare on the entry into Staten Island, there are no toll booths going into NJ.

There is a Hampton Inn-Newark Airport in Elizabeth NJ, that would be close to the Jersey Gardens mall.

There are car rental agencies, to return your vehicle, in Elizabeth and at Newark Airport. There is no rental location at Cape Liberty. You would have to arrange transportation to the port from your rental car return location.

I cannot help you with costs but if you search this board, I know you will find the answer. Better yet, if 138 east responds to your post she will have answers to all of your questions.

The poster will be driving from JFK, and therefore if using the Verrazano Narrows Bridge would be entering Staten Island and definitely will be paying the toll, which is $17. There is no toll from Staten Island to NJ as you said. The poster would also likely be paying a toll on the NJ Turnpike of an indeterminate amount. Since we don't know exactly where he will be going I estimated the total to be about $20.

Thank you for the replies so far. Some of the suggested hotels are the ones I have seen too.

In terms of driving, I'll be fine. I've driven most of the big cities in Florida and California plus Continental Europe is 'fun' at times.

The replies so far haven't been a resounding no which says for this trip it might just work. Thank you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Forums mobile app

FYI...many of the hotels in the EWR area charge for parking, so you'll have to figure that in your costs.

The poster will be driving from JFK, and therefore if using the Verrazano Narrows Bridge would be entering Staten Island and definitely will be paying the toll, which is $17. There is no toll from Staten Island to NJ as you said. The poster would also likely be paying a toll on the NJ Turnpike of an indeterminate amount. Since we don't know exactly where he will be going I estimated the total to be about $20.

Thanks for the correction so that the poster is not mislead.

Cheers all, amendments noted. I'll be getting my calculator out this weekend and totalling up my different options.

There are other options. I'm having difficulties determining your priorities among cost, shopping, and convenience.

What time does your flight arrive on August 18? That's a summer Fri night and NY traffic will be a mess. I would not be renting a car to drive to Newark.

Another option that has not been mentioned is to take the Airtrain/train(LIRR) to New York Penn Station and transfer to NJ transit to Newark. There are currrently train delays going through NY Penn, but given the summer Fri traffic, these could be totally acceptable. The Newark Penn Station Hilton is showing at about $132 and it is attached to the station by a skywalk.

For shopping from Newark Penn Station you can take the bus to Jersey Gardens or PATH to Newport Mall in Jersey City.

Taxi or car service to the port would be $55-65. Public transit via PATH, light rail, and local cab or Uber are less expensive options.

Many rental cars are equipped with EasyPass which will speed you through toll booths. It electronically registers and you don't fumble for money. Yes, it s more expensive as an additional use fee besides the toll is charged to your credit card but it saves time and is convenient.

I posted this question previously, but didn't see a response I so thought I'd post again. We will be sailing the Vision TA in August from Copenhagen to Cape Liberty which will be the first US port. We booked our return flight from EWR for 2:20 PM. We were just notified of a change in flight times, and the flight will now be leaving at 12:55 PM.

We have not flown out of EWR before and are unsure how long it will take to travel there from Cape Liberty on a Thursday morning. The next flight after ours does not take off until 6:30 PM. I'm wondering if we will have enough time to get off the ship and to EWR for the 12:55 PM flight, as I'm sure it will be a longer debarkation time since it's the ship's first US port after a TA. Should I stay with the 12:55 PM flight?

I posted this question previously, but didn't see a response I so thought I'd post again. We will be sailing the Vision TA in August from Copenhagen to Cape Liberty which will be the first US port. We booked our return flight from EWR for 2:20 PM. We were just notified of a change in flight times, and the flight will now be leaving at 12:55 PM.

We have not flown out of EWR before and are unsure how long it will take to travel there from Cape Liberty on a Thursday morning. The next flight after ours does not take off until 6:30 PM. I'm wondering if we will have enough time to get off the ship and to EWR for the 12:55 PM flight, as I'm sure it will be a longer debarkation time since it's the ship's first US port after a TA. Should I stay with the 12:55 PM flight?

Yes, you can expect some additional immigration screening, but assuming the ship has an early morning scheduled arrival and nothing odd happens to significantly delay it, a 12:55 flight shouldn't pose a problem. It's only about 10 miles from the port to the airport and it the drive could take as little as 20 minutes. Even if it takes 45 minutes that day you should be OK.

Yes, you can expect some additional immigration screening, but assuming the ship has an early morning scheduled arrival and nothing odd happens to significantly delay it, a 12:55 flight shouldn't pose a problem. It's only about 10 miles from the port to the airport and it the drive could take as little as 20 minutes. Even if it takes 45 minutes that day you should be OK.

Thanks so much for the input. We didn't want to end our cruise by stressing out about getting to the airport on time.

Rental cars offer the EZ-Pass equivalent in the metro NY and northeast area, known as "SpeedPass".

Hertz charged $5.95 a day for convenience plus usage (based on cash toll rates, as it should) with a max of $25 per rental period.

Mid August weekend rental from JFK to EWR area & cruise out of Cape Liberty would be a 2 nights rental, not too bad with the extras - as the VZ Bridge, Brooklyn (airport via Belt Parkway) to Staten Island for NJ would possibly be converted to non-cash/EZ-Pass only toll crossing ... (once they fully converted all the cash lane toll booths) ... $17.00 is the current toll charged - NJ's short stretch is either 90 cents or $1.20 depending on bridge used & exit taken for the hotel/malls in Elizabeth.

However, I strongly recommend reserving and paying extra for in-car GPS navigation system (Hertz's "NeverLost" system @ $6.95 per day - as it has rental return locations, hotels, shopping malls & POI pre-programmed) and it is quite good, sluggish compared to smartphone navigation/maps. Google Map/Nav and even Waze get confused and loop around, all over the exits & entrance ramps in the EWR, Elizabeth & Cape Liberty area, especially with the ongoing road works, constructions, detours & overnight/midday closures - very easy to get lost. 40 years of driving all over and still dizzy ... trying to read & follow those road signs in that area ... even worst when "counting" on GPS for turn-by-turn navigation, even when leaving EWR airport service road to get onto the NJ Turnpike to head north or south.

Otherwise, I recommend (if using Android smartphone) - download & pre-install the free Mapfactor Navigator for offline use (without using data) - it has updated maps for all 50 states & most parts of the world (only need State of NY and NJ) ... it will not have real-time traffic integration but works for me when we drove into the Grand Canyon National Park, with almost zero cellular data coverage.

There might not be a "one-way" drop-off charge for the rental car but already included in the daily rental fees shown - easy to see if you book a JFK pickup & return for the same 2 days. Car service and/or Xber should be able to meet & pick you up at the car rental location, outside the entrance gate - and, take you to Cape Liberty for embarkation. Otherwise, take the rental car's shuttle back to the nearby EWR AirTrain station & meet the driver/car with luggage there ... then, onward to Cape Liberty.

Yes, most definitely run the numbers with the calculator first, all the little charges do add up quickly ... including hotel parking fees (if any) for 2 nights. Do NOT leave any valuable items in the rental car - take them with you, and, if shopping at the mall ... cover up & do your best to hide shopping bags, if going back & forth for more.

Thank you for the further detailed replies over the rental car. To summarise a few further points:

- We're arriving at about 8.30pm in New York. Clearing customs will put us about 10pm.

- I'm quite happy using public transport in New York, however at that time of the night, with the two of us lugging cases around, I don't fancy it. The convenience of renting a car, albeit the traffic might be slow, will probably feel like an easier experience all round.

- The cost of a taxi ride to Newark from JFK is coming in at about the cost to rent a car for two days

- When we arrive in Newark, all we want to do on the Saturday is have a steady morning then head to the mall. Saturday night will be spent relaxing in the pool at whatever hotel we get.

I've noticed the discussion of easy pass coming up. This is something I've used in Florida. Last year we got stung with additional charges of the 'per day's variety. Are we saying that it's essential to have driving round New York area?

Cheers!

I've noticed the discussion of easy pass coming up. This is something I've used in Florida. Last year we got stung with additional charges of the 'per day's variety. Are we saying that it's essential to have driving round New York area?

Yes similar to Florida "Sunpass" but EZ Pass is only a physical transponder device not a sticker on the window which some Sunpasses are. It depends on the car rental company. Most charge a per day fee for every day of the rental not just the day you use the pass. 7 day rental, use it on day 5 you are charged every day the per day fee. In addition most pass on the full cash price not the discounted EZ Pass price that would be charged if you had your own tag.

You will save time with EZ Pass no matter what you pay to the rental company, some crossing a lot of time. Most cars the tag is mounted in a box, when the box is closed the readers at the toll can not read the tag so you will not be charged.

This is all about to change in the NY Metro Area as tolls are slowly switch to cashless, without an EzPass a bill will be mailed to the registered plate owner.

Even though I don't own a car, I do have an ezpass and account for when I rent a car.

... We're arriving at about 8.30pm in New York. Clearing customs will put us about 10pm ... however at that time of the night, with the two of us lugging cases around, I don't fancy it. The convenience of renting a car, albeit the traffic might be slow, will probably feel like an easier experience all round.

- The cost of a taxi ride to Newark from JFK is coming in at about the cost to rent a car for two days

- When we arrive in Newark, all we want to do on the Saturday is have a steady morning then head to the mall. Saturday night will be spent relaxing in the pool at whatever hotel we get.

I've noticed the discussion of easy pass coming up. This is something I've used in Florida. Last year we got stung with additional charges of the 'per day's variety. Are we saying that it's essential to have driving round New York area? Cheers!

Assumed flight landing & taxied to gate on time, 90 min. out the door for non-US nationals/residents would be ideal but maybe a little optimistic, depending on airline & terminal - it's often a busy time for international arrival. APC has been in place (automated passport control) & has helped shortened the lines somewhat, just be sure to fill out the CBP forms before landing & have passports/documents ready. ** Have a plan for a meal / supper in our time zone, as your routine before driving off in rental car (most at/near Federal Circles ... one of the free AirTrain stop )

I'm attaching images of the PlatePass with the grey (RF shielded) box that are typically used by car rental companies, including Hertz in this area - as BL above noted, many travelers have their own & use it, as non car owners but for your purposes - not worth the hassle to get one for just 2 to 3 tolled crossing.

Based on your arrival & pickup time and plans for Saturday, you might only need to rent the car for 1 day (24 hours, late Friday night to Saturday - dropping it off at EWR) ... use public transit and/or hotel shuttle back to your place of stay; or, go Uber or car service - and, Sunday morning, picked up by car service directly to CL (1 less night of hotel parking & car rental fees, plus PlatePass & in-car GPS navigation rental) Once you have your hotel booked & confirmed, the resident experts for NJ like 138East/Carol and/or NJH can advise you further of the options & best choices.

d8eb829ead7c2a63eab075527733b3fd.jpg

Late Friday on a summer evening, your route is almost certain via the non-commercial traffic only - Belt Parkway, easy on from JFK to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn for the exit ramp to VZ Bridge, a toll crossing ** to Staten Island - and, then toward NJ via 1 of 2 or 3 crossing (sometimes, 1 of them is closed on weekend/overnight for maintenance, inspection, repairs & upgrade, etc.) Traffic could still be busy but moving (sometimes, quite fast & above posted speed limit) and it is a relatively easy drive - probably 1 hour or so, depending on whether hotel is Elizabeth.

** Please check back just before departing to see if the VZ Bridge crossing has gone all cash-less with EZ-Pass toll only (and billing to license plates) as if it's fully converted, you have no way of avoiding the car rental company's surcharge, either by paying for the PlatePass or letting them bill you later (which is almost always worst,as the "administrative charge" is worst & higher + the tolls) If not yet converted, late on a Friday night - you can then keep right after crossing the bridge and use the "cash" lanes and pay directly. NJ Turnpike remained both EZP and cash paying for toll - with a stamped ticket, and the PlatePass rental is not really needed for your purposes for 1 or 2 days, also by avoiding toll roads in the local area.

Edited by mking8288

As a lifetime NYer, driving from JFK to NJ is NEVER easy. Ever. Add your weariness from your flight, the aggravation going through customs and the hassle of taking the AirTrain to get the rental. Plus then returning the vehicle. Jmo. Sometimes paying for convenience ( car service such as DIal 7)is worth it. Close your eyes and when you open them you are at your hotel.

Thank you for the further detailed replies over the rental car. To summarise a few further points:

- We're arriving at about 8.30pm in New York. Clearing customs will put us about 10pm.

- I'm quite happy using public transport in New York, however at that time of the night, with the two of us lugging cases around, I don't fancy it. The convenience of renting a car, albeit the traffic might be slow, will probably feel like an easier experience all round.

Cheers!

There are buses that go from airport to airport. If available, take it to ewr and many hotels/motels have free shuttles from/to ewr. Next day or whatever, take taxi to port.

We're cruising on the Anthem in Jan. '18 and wondering if anyone has used the "Parkway Parking" facility. It's seems to be near the port. Any feedback positive/negative will be appreciated.

We're cruising on the Anthem in Jan. '18 and wondering if anyone has used the "Parkway Parking" facility. It's seems to be near the port. Any feedback positive/negative will be appreciated.

The port parking is safe, convenient, and reasonably priced. I don't recall one negative comment since the new garage was built a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see Parkway parking uses the same lot that Premier parking did. I see on the Parkway website that they have been rated #1 3 years in row but don't substantiate that ranking. I called to get the answer as to who ranked them number one. Guess what...I was not given an answer.:D

If you use Parkway, please report back as to if their "vehicles" are registered with the state department of transportation. I know Premier's vehicles were not!

The port parking is safe, convenient, and reasonably priced. I don't recall one negative comment since the new garage was built a few years ago.

Please do not confuse Parkway Parking with the cruise port parking facility. Parkway Parking is an off site lot located about a mile south of the port entrance off Route 440.

So after some further research this weekend, we've gone with the rental car option and booked a Hilton in East Brunswick. The flexibility of a car is useful for the Saturday and Sunday morning. I genuinely will enjoy the drive and embrace these things as a cool challenge. It'll be a couple of new states that I can say I've driven in as well. I have taken the advice of sat nav and will remember to ask her prior to heading on the holiday about the toll charges.

The next part of the trip I'm looking at now is how to get to the Cape Liberty cruise port on the morning of Sunday 20th August. After we return from the cruise we'll need to get to Manhattan (Sunday 27th August). Location unknown exactly, however it'll likely be in the vicinity of Times Square.

The rental car is being dropped off at Newark airport so any advice here would be good. Are there any shuttle options either Newark airport to Cape Liberty or Cape Liberty to Manhattan? Like everything, opinions on the balance between cost and convenience would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance, the advice (even if we go our own way) is still hugely useful.

I see Parkway parking uses the same lot that Premier parking did. I see on the Parkway website that they have been rated #1 3 years in row but don't substantiate that ranking. I called to get the answer as to who ranked them number one. Guess what...I was not given an answer.:D

If you use Parkway, please report back as to if their "vehicles" are registered with the state department of transportation. I know Premier's vehicles were not!

On one of the sites there was feedback and they got high marks, however, it was a small sample of 5. I'll search BBB for any add'l feedback.

So after some further research this weekend, we've gone with the rental car option and booked a Hilton in East Brunswick. The flexibility of a car is useful for the Saturday and Sunday morning. I genuinely will enjoy the drive and embrace these things as a cool challenge. It'll be a couple of new states that I can say I've driven in as well. I have taken the advice of sat nav and will remember to ask her prior to heading on the holiday about the toll charges.

The next part of the trip I'm looking at now is how to get to the Cape Liberty cruise port on the morning of Sunday 20th August. After we return from the cruise we'll need to get to Manhattan (Sunday 27th August). Location unknown exactly, however it'll likely be in the vicinity of Times Square.

The rental car is being dropped off at Newark airport so any advice here would be good. Are there any shuttle options either Newark airport to Cape Liberty or Cape Liberty to Manhattan? Like everything, opinions on the balance between cost and convenience would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance, the advice (even if we go our own way) is still hugely useful.

Because you list shopping as a priority during your pre cruise stay, staying in the Paramus NJ area would be beneficial. It is closer to JFK than East Brunswick. Staying in East Brunswick and then driving to Elizabeth for shopping is going out of your way. Paramus is the shopping center of NJ. Garden State Plaza is the states largest mall. Paramus Park mall and Bergen Town Center offer lower prices. Route 4 and 17 are lined with stores. Be aware that on a Saturday, the traffic will be awful. There are car rental agencies in Paramus that are open on a Sunday and Air Brook limousine is a reliable service to get you to the cruise port.

There are no shuttles from EWR to Cape Liberty. A taxi will probably cost about $60-$65 plus toll and tip.

One way to get from Cape Liberty to the Times Square area would be a shuttle from the cruise port to EWR for $20 per person and then an express bus to Manhattan for $16 per person. Or for a more convenient option book a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7. A sedan for two passengers would cost about $50, plus tolls (about $20) and tip (about $10) for a total of about $80. Not much more than two people taking the shuttle and the airport bus, and a heck of a lot more convenient. Cheapest and least convenient option would be a taxi from the port to the 34th St. light rail station in Bayonne, the light rail to Hoboken Terminal and then the PATH train to 33rd St.(about a 1/2 mile south of Times Square) in Manhattan. That could cost as little as $20 total for two people.

There are no shuttles from EWR to Cape Liberty. A taxi will probably cost about $60-$65 plus toll and tip.

There are-- through the cruise line. I've taken the airport express bus from midtown to EWR and then a cruise-line shuttle to Bayonne.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums