CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Another uber update. Did self disembark off Anthem this am (Thursday am). Uber picked us up at 7:51 (prob a 15 minute wait for him to get to the port) and dropped us at 8:13 at Newark, Terminal C. $26.66.

We had only 2 people and one bag each (plus backpack) and it was a Chevrolet Suburban. We just requested regular uber

Was highly impressed with entire uber experience in NJ. I jumped on Amtrak at 10 and my DH has a flight at 12:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is great. We are planning the same thing.

We will be doing the express walk off.

What time did they let you off?

Also what time did you contact Uber?

Another uber update. Did self disembark off Anthem this am (Thursday am). Uber picked us up at 7:51 (prob a 15 minute wait for him to get to the port) and dropped us at 8:13 at Newark, Terminal C. $26.66.

We had only 2 people and one bag each (plus backpack) and it was a Chevrolet Suburban. We just requested regular uber

Was highly impressed with entire uber experience in NJ. I jumped on Amtrak at 10 and my DH has a flight at 12:30.

That's good news. We will be doing the exact same thing two weeks from today.

Has anyone ever flown to LaGuardia and then taken a train from Penn Station New York to Penn Station Newark? If you were going to Cape Liberty, would it be better to take the New York train to the Newark airport instead of Penn Station Newark? From what I have read, it sounds like Uber from one of the two Newark locations is the best way to the Port. If anyone has done it this way, was it a fairly easy trip? Thanks for the input. There is a lot to sift through on this thread. :)

Edited by Jediknight4jc

Has anyone ever flown to LaGuardia and then taken a train from Penn Station New York to Penn Station Newark? If you were going to Cape Liberty, would it be better to take the New York train to the Newark airport instead of Penn Station Newark? From what I have read, it sounds like Uber from one of the two Newark locations is the best way to the Port. If anyone has done it this way, was it a fairly easy trip? Thanks for the input. There is a lot to sift through on this thread. :)

It's a whole lot cheaper to go to Newark Penn Station ($5.25/pp) than to go to Newark Airport Station ($13/pp). At Newark Airport Station there is no vehicle access - you must ride the Airtrain to the P4 Station to connect with a ride. Newark Penn Station is a major transportation hub. If Uber isn't working, you have taxi options as well as PATH/light rail options to get to Bayonne. Details can be provided.

Hi Carol. From Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty, do you recommend Taxi, Car Service or Uber? Thanks!

Honestly, I do public transit, but that's not for most people. Folks have reported good results with Uber as well as booking Summit Taxi ($50). Random taxis are random taxis - they quote you a price - it's not a metered fare.

This is comforting to hear.. I booked a flight for my aunt back home (from Newark) at 12:45. I was planning on using Uber and had been told that was enough time. I promised her I wouldn't let her miss her flight lol

This is comforting to hear.. I booked a flight for my aunt back home (from Newark) at 12:45. I was planning on using Uber and had been told that was enough time. I promised her I wouldn't let her miss her flight lol

Don't forget that if you have trouble getting an Uber at Cape Liberty, the taxi dispatcher can get you there in a shared shuttle for $20/pp.

What time did they let you off?

Also what time did you contact Uber?

There was a long line (everyone self disembarks) but I would say we were off the ship by 7:38 and through customs. I had uber pulled up on my app and as we walked away from the customs desk I hit the button. Took him about 15 minutes to get to us

Don't forget that if you have trouble getting an Uber at Cape Liberty, the taxi dispatcher can get you there in a shared shuttle for $20/pp.

This was our backup. The guy with the clipboard was directing folks to the taxi and shared shuttle line

Honestly, I do public transit, but that's not for most people. Folks have reported good results with Uber as well as booking Summit Taxi ($50). Random taxis are random taxis - they quote you a price - it's not a metered fare.

Thanks!:cool:

Does anyone have current driving directions from I-78 from PA? I know we get off at Exit 14A, but then I wasn't sure from there since construction at that toll. Thanks!!

I think these are the most current directions. My shuttle bus went this way in Feb.

Exit 14A is currently under construction. The current advice seems to be to follow the signs to Avenue E, turn left at 45th St, follow the road around until you hit Goldsborough Drive, and make a left to follow the road into the port. GPS is not always reliable in this area. You should print out a map.

There was a long line (everyone self disembarks) but I would say we were off the ship by 7:38 and through customs. I had uber pulled up on my app and as we walked away from the customs desk I hit the button. Took him about 15 minutes to get to us

Thanks so much, that's very helpful.

My husband and I prefer public transportation. So how would you get to Cape Liberty from Newark Penn Station?

My husband and I prefer public transportation. So how would you get to Cape Liberty from Newark Penn Station?

I have done this trip and it's very easy. From Newark Penn Station you take PATH for $2.75/pp and get off at Exchange Place Jersey City. You walk across the plaza to the Hudson-Bergen light rail, buy a ticket for $2.25 from the machine, validate it, and take the 8th St Bayonne train to 34th St in Bayonne. You must call a cab or Uber to get into the port.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

We are thinking of using the ferry to the MCT from Port Imperial. Anyone that has used it recently, what is the overnight parking fare? it only mentions $16/12 hours on the website. Also has anyone used the shuttle bus to the MCT from the 39st ferry stop?

Thank you

We are planning to park at the Lot at Cape Liberty. What is payment like on exit? Take ticket and pay by credit card with ticket when exiting? Take ticket and pay at machine then just exit with paid ticket?

Also, is it confusing to get back to the terminal to pick up passengers and luggage?

Any info would be appreciated.

Ok, we've got our plan worked out for our Tues. 6/20 Sunshine cruise...but always a good idea to run it by the experts, right?? And, of course, ask a couple of questions.

**Arriving into LGA on Sat 6/17. Taking Dial 7 from LGA to our hotel. Hampton Inn Times Sq Central. Feeling comfortable with this part, but first question. What's the normal tip / tip rate? Two folks, standard sedan, 3 pieces of luggage.

** We didn't get the car service for the trip to the pier on 6/20. It's so close, really feel like a cab (even mid morning on a Tuesday) should still be the easiest way & the fare shouldn't be too much of a wild card. Question 2...Is that a safe assumption?

** 4 PM flight on disembark day, from LGA. Just taking the Carnival transfer...we're not in a huge rush & it's always worked well for us.

Anything GLARING we're overlooking??

Thanks!

Ok, we've got our plan worked out for our Tues. 6/20 Sunshine cruise...but always a good idea to run it by the experts, right?? And, of course, ask a couple of questions.

**Arriving into LGA on Sat 6/17. Taking Dial 7 from LGA to our hotel. Hampton Inn Times Sq Central. Feeling comfortable with this part, but first question. What's the normal tip / tip rate? Two folks, standard sedan, 3 pieces of luggage.

** We didn't get the car service for the trip to the pier on 6/20. It's so close, really feel like a cab (even mid morning on a Tuesday) should still be the easiest way & the fare shouldn't be too much of a wild card. Question 2...Is that a safe assumption?

** 4 PM flight on disembark day, from LGA. Just taking the Carnival transfer...we're not in a huge rush & it's always worked well for us.

Anything GLARING we're overlooking??

Thanks!

A normal tip would be about 20% of the car service fare.

A taxi from your hotel to the cruise terminal is fine. A car service for that short of a trip would likely cost much more than a taxi.

Cruise line transfers are fine provided you don't mind waiting for the bus to fill before leaving and the possibility of having to stay on the bus while it drops passengers off at different airline terminals.

Thanks, NJ. Appreciate the info.

20-25% is what we've used other places...just wanted to make sure we were in the correct ballpark, for NYC.

After 3 days in the city & an 8 night cruise....the time chilling on the bus will probably be welcomed! I'm a big fan of the easiest, non thinking option possible, for a post cruise trip home :-)

Again, thanks for the info!

Ok, we've got our plan worked out for our Tues. 6/20 Sunshine cruise...

**Arriving into LGA on Sat 6/17. Taking Dial 7 from LGA to our hotel. Hampton Inn Times Sq Central ...

Concur with NJH's remarks as above, just to be clear - assumed that you might've seen the 411 on LGA's ongoing constructions here ... which, lately, seemed to be "better" - before the busy summer travel season. Airport/flights @ LGA on Saturday are typically the "lightest" for the week.

FHV or car services/Uber-Lyft, etc. pickup for passengers now involved a free shuttle transfer from your arriving terminal, on the "Green" route to the designated pickup lot, it's a 10 minutes ride - be prepared for lifting up/down your 3 pc. of luggage (in other words, pack & travel light if you can ... it's our own best practices, regardless) - that is the "currrent" pilot arrangement since early April, subject to change or revisions as airport reconstructions move along.

Here's that link w. details - advised to please re-check that a week to 3 days before flying into LGA for any announced changes. It's a long walk in the warm/hot early summer days - not really a good idea, although business flyers packing light bragged about it on the other forum - you aren't in a hurry, relax, walk over & take the free shuttle (there's plenty of "greeters" & help outside in arrival area and signage to direct you) And/or - call & speak to your Dial 7 service's phone rep/dispatcher about their latest instructions on LGA pickup ... others reported "occasional" frustration of waiting 30 minutes and/or difficulties on figuring out exactly where to meet the car/vehicle, as they aren't allow to sit & wait.

http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/

Locally, bridges & tunnel from Queens (LGA) to/from Manhattan have weekend closure & constructions, the driver might opt to take a longer but faster route - the toll is the same & collected/added to the fare.

Carnival bus transfer is easiest and your late flight scheduled is good, bay for bus parking/pickup once you have all your luggage is inside the terminal on the lower level, a short walk past CBP.

Thanks, mking. The construction / general messiness at LGA was a huge reason for opting for the car service. Flat rate, leave the driving to a pro, etc. etc.. Frankly, we've got an early AM flight....major goal for the day is simply "get there." Keeping it low stress. Terrific info on the shuttle situation. Thanks!

Cruise with RC Leaving Cape Liberty on Oct 23, 2017. Thinking of flying into Newark 1-2 days early no car. Where is good reasonable place to stay. Also best options for getting from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise terminal. If we come 2 days early would like to see Statue of Liberty or maybe do the hop on/off bus tour. Is that possible? How easy would it be to do either of those.

Cruise with RC Leaving Cape Liberty on Oct 23, 2017. Thinking of flying into Newark 1-2 days early no car. Where is good reasonable place to stay. Also best options for getting from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise terminal. If we come 2 days early would like to see Statue of Liberty or maybe do the hop on/off bus tour. Is that possible? How easy would it be to do either of those.

We just did this. Took uber to Robert Treat Best Western. Room was $100 a night. That was on Thursday.

Friday we walked to NJ Penn and took Path train to World Trade Center and walked to Statue Cruise. Book those tickets in advance (like now) and get Crown Access if available. Amazing. We took subway to Chinatown afterwards, had lunch and grab pastries in Little Italy. NYC was getting 3" of rain that day so we didn't do anything else. Took train back to NJ Penn and walked to hotel.

We took uber to terminal ($18 on a Saturday) and to Newark on Thursday ($26).