CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I am disabled and require a wheelchair. I can get out of the chair and into a van seat with no problem.

We will be going on a 14 day Celebrity Summit cruise to New England/Canada on September 6th. We will be flying into EWR from California the day before.

The most important issue is wheelchair accessible transportation from the airport to the hotel (don't know which one yet), and from the hotel to the dock the next day. We don't mind staying at an airport hotel if that would be easier since we will not be doing any touring in the area.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which might be easier and less stressful. Cost is a secondary concern.

Rick

San Diego

Under the ADA if a hotel offers airport transportation they MUST have an accessible option. MOST of the airport hotels will have ONE vehicle with a wheelchair lift...BUT you'll likely have to INSIST that they send it for you.

The Courtyard and Residence Inn Elizabeth have ONE (at least) with a lift, and I think the Marriott (Full Service) and Hilton do too.

As for getting to the pier, that's going to be hard....I am not sure that will be easy to find....

There was a place called Twin Limo that was great and ONLY did accessible transportation but I am not sure they're still around. The website still exists, you may want to email them. They helped me out with my mom....

Returning to EWR for Anthem of the Seas.

Last year stayed at Hilton Garden on Staten island. No problems other than unbearably loud music from the wedding celebrations. And of course it is in the middle of nowhere. Timely shuttle pick up from EWR and timely drop off at Cape Liberty. If I choose Staten Island this time it will be for Hampton Inn and will just walk over to Hilton Garden to eat.

But I see people staying at Country Inn & Suites. What would the difference be? I read all the threads and cannot figure out if there is a free shuttle from EWR to this hotel and then to the port the next morning. I don't mind paying for a shuttle really.

Returning to EWR for Anthem of the Seas.

Last year stayed at Hilton Garden on Staten island. No problems other than unbearably loud music from the wedding celebrations. And of course it is in the middle of nowhere. Timely shuttle pick up from EWR and timely drop off at Cape Liberty. If I choose Staten Island this time it will be for Hampton Inn and will just walk over to Hilton Garden to eat.

But I see people staying at Country Inn & Suites. What would the difference be? I read all the threads and cannot figure out if there is a free shuttle from EWR to this hotel and then to the port the next morning. I don't mind paying for a shuttle really.

Hotels that are actually at the airport offer free shuttles from the P4 Airtrain station.

Price it out. Both Hilton Gardens and Country Inns offer a cruise package that costs more because it includes the port transportation.

Are you a solo cruiser? If so, Country Inns will let you buy a transfer for $35 round trip if you are staying at the hotel. Normal markup on the room rate is about $70 because they assume two people. Call them directly to verify. So what you can do is look around for a cheaper room price than the CI website for your date.

Two people. Does the Country Inn transfer "round trip" mean from EWR to the Country Inn and then to the port the next morning? I won't have a need to return to Country Inn after the cruise. I don't mind paying for the shuttle as long as there is one.

Is there an advantage to Country Inn over Hampton Inn? If I came in a day early could I get to NYcity easily if I came in a day early for sights?

Hotels that are actually at the airport offer free shuttles from the P4 Airtrain station.

Price it out. Both Hilton Gardens and Country Inns offer a cruise package that costs more because it includes the port transportation.

Are you a solo cruiser? If so, Country Inns will let you buy a transfer for $35 round trip if you are staying at the hotel. Normal markup on the room rate is about $70 because they assume two people. Call them directly to verify. So what you can do is look around for a cheaper room price than the CI website for your date.

Two people. Does the Country Inn transfer "round trip" mean from EWR to the Country Inn and then to the port the next morning? I won't have a need to return to Country Inn after the cruise. I don't mind paying for the shuttle as long as there is one.

Is there an advantage to Country Inn over Hampton Inn? If I came in a day early could I get to NYcity easily if I came in a day early for sights?

The hotel shuttle and port shuttle are two entirely different concepts. All the "airport" hotels offer a free hotel shuttle. Otherwise nobody would stay in these hotels. Newark is not a vacation destination!

Where are you going after the cruise? If you're going back to EWR, you have to call Country Inns to see if they drop off at the airport. I think they do, but I don't know for sure so I can't tell you they do.

Coming in early to sightsee is an entirely different discussion. IMO Hampton Inn is not well located for running in and out of NYC, particularly if you're going to midtown. You can go to NYC from any airport hotel by taking the hotel shuttle back to the P4 Airtrain station, going one stop on the free Airtrain to Newark Airport train station, and paying $25/pp round trip to take the train to New York Penn Station. If you want to go to the 911 memorial, you spend almost the same money, but you go one stop from the airport train station to Newark Penn Station and transfer to PATH to go directly to the World Trade Center.

I recently stayed at the Robert Treat hotel in downtown Newark because of the better transportation connections. Free airport shuttle, free Newark Penn Station shuttle (5 min), free breakfast, free parking, and a full service hotel. However no Cruiseport shuttle - cab would be about $50-60. You have to look at the total price of everything, not just a particular piece. This hotel tends to be less expensive. Train to NYC is $5/pp each way. PATH to WTC is $2.75/Pp each way. IMO the overall hassle is less.

Husband and I will be cruising on the Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty on June 4th. We plan on flying in the night before from Colorado to Newark. Any recommendations on where to stay? Do they have shuttle? How much for shuttle? How far is the hotel from the ship? How far is the pier from the airport? Still trying to figure out air and what time to depart day of debarking. Also, how much would it cost for two from port to airport after the cruise? Thanks everyone.

Husband and I will be cruising on the Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty on June 4th. We plan on flying in the night before from Colorado to Newark. Any recommendations on where to stay? Do they have shuttle? How much for shuttle? How far is the hotel from the ship? How far is the pier from the airport? Still trying to figure out air and what time to depart day of debarking. Also, how much would it cost for two from port to airport after the cruise? Thanks everyone.

What is your hotel budget? Port shuttles are not big at Newark Airport. The only airport hotel with a shuttle that we recommend is Country Inns. They offer a cruise package with round trip port transportation which runs about $70/2 people round trip and leaves around noon to go to the port. Car service to the port runs $50-60 and you can pick your time. Return shuttle from the port to the airport is $16/pp. Cape Liberty is about 10-11 miles from the airport and its hotels.

Some hotels offer free breakfast but have no other food service. Some hotels are full service but no free breakfast. The airport hotels tend to be relatively isolated with no restaurants within walking distance. The only exceptions are the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way like Country Inns, Elizabeth Courtyard, Residence Inn, and Embassy Suites which are next to Ihop, Ruby Tuesdays, and the Jersey Gardens Mall.

What is your hotel budget? Port shuttles are not big at Newark Airport. The only airport hotel with a shuttle that we recommend is Country Inns. They offer a cruise package with round trip port transportation which runs about $70/2 people round trip and leaves around noon to go to the port. Car service to the port runs $50-60 and you can pick your time. Return shuttle from the port to the airport is $16/pp. Cape Liberty is about 10-11 miles from the airport and its hotels.

Some hotels offer free breakfast but have no other food service. Some hotels are full service but no free breakfast. The airport hotels tend to be relatively isolated with no restaurants within walking distance. The only exceptions are the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way like Country Inns, Elizabeth Courtyard, Residence Inn, and Embassy Suites which are next to Ihop, Ruby Tuesdays, and the Jersey Gardens Mall.

Thank you! Sounds like Country Inns wind out. Lots of great info! Thank you!

Hi we are cruising out of new york on the summit in June and are flying in a few days before for sight seeing in New York.

We are staying at the Shelburne NYC on Lexington Avenue.

Can anyone excplain how best to get from the airport to the hotel and then from hotel to the port on the morning of the saiing.

I live directly across from the shelbourne hotel on Lex and 37th. On Lex and 41st, there is an airport shuttle direct to Newark airport. I take it all the time and it's very convenient. Only 4 short blocks to walk and reasonably priced.

I'm still working on how to get to the port-- I have the convoluted idea of taking that shuttle to the airport and then picking up a cruise transfer to the pier. I take path trains a lot but "path, light rail, cab" seems crazy!!

I live directly across from the shelbourne hotel on Lex and 37th. On Lex and 41st, there is an airport shuttle direct to Newark airport. I take it all the time and it's very convenient. Only 4 short blocks to walk and reasonably priced.

I'm still working on how to get to the port-- I have the convoluted idea of taking that shuttle to the airport and then picking up a cruise transfer to the pier. I take path trains a lot but "path, light rail, cab" seems crazy!!

Sometime before your cruise next February you should check out the accessible PATH station entrance at Penny's at Herald Square. If it were me, on the day of the cruise I'd take a cab from your apartment and get dropped off in front of the PATH entrance about 9:30 am. Elevator down to the station level. There is a wide turnstile entrance that is very good with luggage. Outbound trains at that hour are empty - no problem with luggage or getting a seat. At Hoboken there is an elevator up to the street level. The trains are right there and the light rail is on the far left. All level access and once again empty trains to Bayonne. Call Bayonne Taxi and they will pick you up either on Ave E or in the parking lot. I thought Ave E was easier. IMO this is less overall walking than from your apartment to the bus stop at GST.

If you do the bus and cruise transfer thing, you will have no control over what time you get to the port. I did a similar trip for the Quantum in Jan, but I stayed overnight in Newark. I took a 9 am hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station, Path to Exchange Place, walked across the plaza to the light rail, and went to Bayonne. One of my friends was on her way into the port, and her driver swung by to pick me up. I was checking in for the ship by 10:15 and on board by 11. I'm a senior with a PATH smart card, so my total cost was $10.05. I was lucky - the car service driver gave me a good break on the price and I tipped him well.

The whole trip should cost about $25- $4.85 for the trains and about $10 for each of the cab rides.

Sometime before your cruise next February you should check out the accessible PATH station entrance at Penny's at Herald Square. If it were me, on the day of the cruise I'd take a cab from your apartment and get dropped off in front of the PATH entrance about 9:30 am. Elevator down to the station level. There is a wide turnstile entrance that is very good with luggage. Outbound trains at that hour are empty - no problem with luggage or getting a seat. At Hoboken there is an elevator up to the street level. The trains are right there and the light rail is on the far left. All level access and once again empty trains to Bayonne. Call Bayonne Taxi and they will pick you up either on Ave E or in the parking lot. I thought Ave E was easier. IMO this is less overall walking than from your apartment to the bus stop at GST.

If you do the bus and cruise transfer thing, you will have no control over what time you get to the port. I did a similar trip for the Quantum in Jan, but I stayed overnight in Newark. I took a 9 am hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station, Path to Exchange Place, walked across the plaza to the light rail, and went to Bayonne. One of my friends was on her way into the port, and her driver swung by to pick me up. I was checking in for the ship by 10:15 and on board by 11. I'm a senior with a PATH smart card, so my total cost was $10.05. I was lucky - the car service driver gave me a good break on the price and I tipped him well.

The whole trip should cost about $25- $4.85 for the trains and about $10 for each of the cab rides.

I do the PATH to Jersey a lot and I could walk from here. I'm worried about a few things, though:

1. I have never been on the light rail-- I don't even think I have seen it.

2. This is the most concern: I don't know if I feel comfortable getting off the train and standing on a street corner I'm Jersey waiting for a cab. What is this area like? I once had to walk around the outside of Newark Penn station at 3am because the door I was dropped at was locked-- scary experience!! I realize I'm talking about daylight hours, but some areas of jersey aren't awesome alone.

I do the PATH to Jersey a lot and I could walk from here. I'm worried about a few things, though:

2. This is the most concern: I don't know if I feel comfortable getting off the train and standing on a street corner I'm Jersey waiting for a cab. What is this area like? I once had to walk around the outside of Newark Penn station at 3am because the door I was dropped at was locked-- scary experience!! I realize I'm talking about daylight hours, but some areas of jersey aren't awesome alone.

Need to run off to work. It's not a street corner like Exchange place. It's a station with commuter parking. I'll see if I can find pictures. Area is fine - Ave E is non scary residential. No comparison to the scary level of Newark Penn Station. Also not deserted - normal folks waiting on the same platform for a train in the opposite direction to go in town.

I had serious concerns about staying overnight in Newark, but it worked out fine and I found the "scare" level to be enormously reduced from past experiences there many years ago. Bayonne was definitely much more comfortable than either Newark or Jersey City - much improved from when we lived in JC years ago.

Would anyone here catch a 9:30a.m. flight out if your ship gets in at 7:00 a.m.? My husband and I do it a lot out of FTL but I believe the ship gets in at 6:00 a.m. Hubby and I plan on carrying our bags off the ship and just heading to the airport as fast as possible.

Would anyone here catch a 9:30a.m. flight out if your ship gets in at 7:00 a.m.? My husband and I do it a lot out of FTL but I believe the ship gets in at 6:00 a.m. Hubby and I plan on carrying our bags off the ship and just heading to the airport as fast as possible.

IMO, 9:30 is too early. I wouldn't book a flight earlier than 11.

Not a chance! Don't do it. Even getting in on a Saturday, which I believe you do, you would need the best conditions to even have a chance.

What happens if the cruise gets caught up with customs? That sounds way too close!

I will be flying into Newark the day before a May 31 cruise from Cape Liberty. I book Best Western Plus - Airport West. Chose this because they said the had both airport and cruise terminal transportation. I do not see this on the recommended list. Is this hotel not the best choice? We will want to go into NYC the afternoon/evening before departure. Would staying in the city and getting transportation to cruise terminal be an option. There are 2 in our party. I don't want to have to handle my baggage on and off trains, so will need a shuttle or taxi.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/34th_Street_(HBLR_station)

http://www.jtbell.net/transit/images/JerseyCity/E34thAerial.jpg

I will be flying into Newark the day before a May 31 cruise from Cape Liberty. I book Best Western Plus - Airport West. Chose this because they said the had both airport and cruise terminal transportation. I do not see this on the recommended list. Is this hotel not the best choice? We will want to go into NYC the afternoon/evening before departure. Would staying in the city and getting transportation to cruise terminal be an option. There are 2 in our party. I don't want to have to handle my baggage on and off trains, so will need a shuttle or taxi.

This hotel is not on the recommended list because of its location on a fringe side street on the west side of the airport where there is no place to walk to. However folks do stay there. Over the years it is the only hotel where car vandalism has been reported. I would call and ask if they can provide shuttle service both ways to the Elizabeth train station where the fare is $6.75/pp each to New York Penn station instead of the $12.50/pp each way from the Newark Airport Station.

What is your overall budget? You can go into Manhattan, but you will pay for it between the hotel and the transportation. Airport bus is $28/pp rt to midtown plus a likely cab to your more expensive hotel. Car service from the airport to Cape Liberty would be another $50-55. Car service from the airport to Manhattan will run $85-100 with tolls and tip and about the same amount from Manhattan to Cape Liberty.

Edited by 138east

We are Canadian and not familiar with tolls, we pay lots in taxes instead, ;) but I digress. :rolleyes:

Are these tolls that you talk about to be paid in cash? Also, the parking at the port, I am assuming that this is also to be paid in cash or can we use our credit card?

We carried off yesterday, left our cabin at 5:55am and got in line on deck 5. There were about 100 people ahead of us. Walk off started at 6:35am. By 6:50am we were through customs and waiting at the curb outside. Plenty of taxi's.

On a Saturday I think you could make the 9:30am flight.

Jimbo:)

I wouldn't. If you need to be at the airport by 8:30, any delay on the ship could make you late. When I just got off in NYC, we stood on line for over an hour while they cleared us. We started disembarking almost 2 hours late. I wouldn't chance it if you could fly out later.