Using OBC to upgrade Classic to Premium

Natalia&Nick

• 2 weeks later...
Do what we always do: The moment you step on board, go to the nearest bar and give the bartender your Seapass cards and tell him/her you want to upgrade to the MacDaddy beverage package. [emoji4]

So you can upgrade at a bar? You don't need to go to the service desk?

We were charged tax on Equinox the first week of Jan. Upgraded to Premium as soon as we got onboard at Cafe Al Bacio in Fort Lauderdale. Was not told that tax would be charged. Was only told it would be the 11.50 a day, now $11.80.

Tax on a ten day cruise was about $12. If you're okay with this then go ahead, or you can wait till later in the evening.

A couple we were traveling with didn't have the drink promo and bought the Premium from the guy at the door selling it and writing it down on paper(didn't have a terminal there). They were not charged tax. He must have run all his paperwork after leaving port.

Edited by ORV

The cost is the same to upgrade pre cruise or once you board. We purchased some champagne and wine tastings from Cellar Masters while in port. The sommelier took our information and ran it through the system after we sailed so we would not have to pay tax.

All questions are answered here on this topic...great PDF you can download too. Best post I have ever seen on this topic! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2167294

As to tax issue, I think this varies widely, so if you have free package, may want to stay within classic prices until a few miles off port ... To be safe. I think if you upgrade at the beverage table, or buy there, they may wait to run your card, but my guess is bars run it right away...just a guess.

We were charged tax on Equinox the first week of Jan. Upgraded to Premium as soon as we got onboard at Cafe Al Bacio in Fort Lauderdale. Was not told that tax would be charged. Was only told it would be the 11.50 a day, now $11.80.

Tax on a ten day cruise was about $12. If you're okay with this then go ahead, or you can wait till later in the evening.

A couple we were traveling with didn't have the drink promo and bought the Premium from the guy at the door selling it and writing it down on paper(didn't have a terminal there). They were not charged tax. He must have run all his paperwork after leaving port.

That sounds more like you were charged the new 18% gratuity on the up charge rather than any tax.

$10 x 1.18 (18%)= $11.80/day.

Edited by scottamiller

This document is a wealth of great information but I did not see the answer to my question there.

Has anyone successfully upgraded really late in their cruise for a pro-rated amount? We think we will be happy with the Classic package, but if we have OBC left toward the end of the cruise, we may like to upgrade to try a few new drinks covered by the Premium package.

I just thought I remembered reading somewhere that this could not be done in the last couple of days of the cruise. I've done a search and can't come up with anything confirming that.

This document is a wealth of great information but I did not see the answer to my question there.

Has anyone successfully upgraded really late in their cruise for a pro-rated amount? We think we will be happy with the Classic package, but if we have OBC left toward the end of the cruise, we may like to upgrade to try a few new drinks covered by the Premium package.

I just thought I remembered reading somewhere that this could not be done in the last couple of days of the cruise. I've done a search and can't come up with anything confirming that.

The thread above is long, so perhaps you missed it.... This is from that thread and should answer....I suggest anyone with beverage questions download the PDF in the thread...it is 9 pages and is a great guide to all things beverages..

"I've added the following questions/answers to the PDF:

Can I upgrade my beverage package once I’ve selected one?

Yes. You can always upgrade your beverage package to a more expensive one. This can be done either before you board (if you have already pre-purchased a beverage package or if you have received one as part of a promotion), or on board the ship in the same venues where you can purchase a beverage package.

When you upgrade, you will pay the difference between the prices of the two packages for the remainder of your cruise, plus the 18% gratuity. For example, if you upgrade from the Classic Package to the Premium Package the cost will be $10.00 / $11.80 per night remaining in your cruise.

How long do I have to decide to upgrade my beverage package?

You can upgrade your beverage package at any time until you have two nights left in your cruise. At the time of your upgrade, you will pay a prorated price based on the number of nights that you have left.

Can I cancel a beverage package if I feel that it’s not working for me?

You can cancel the order of a beverage package prior to the cruise, but you cannot opt out of the package once you board the ship.

This information is accurate as of February 2015. All prices, packages, rules, and restrictions are subject to change."

That sounds more like you were charged the new 18% gratuity on the up charge rather than any tax.

$10 x 1.18 (18%)= $11.80/day.

That is a good observation! I thought the new gratuity went into effect 2/1, but who knows! I will say I have read about people getting taxed. I think when you buy at the table selling packages, they hold the info until off shore so you do not pay tax. But at bars they seem to run it right away...curious whether maybe bartenders get credit for selling packages so they want to sell them or upgrade you while you are right there.

On our last X cruise, one bartender seemed super eager to sell me an upgrade as soon as we boarded. I asked about tax and he said he would hold the transaction so I didn't have to pay it, but I wasn't so sure. So, I just came back to him a few hours later so he could get the sale in case that helped him in some way. And of course by then we had sailed off...this leads me to believe if you run the package in port, there will be tax. Not much cost on an upgrade, but the tax is a lot on a package!!!