How about a Cruise Critic Question - about signatures???

Sam.Seattle

Should the length of signatures be limted? (This is to be FUN)  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the length of signatures be limted? (This is to be FUN)

• Yes to 4-lines max and small font only. No Graphic
    • Yes to 8-lines max and medium font. 2-Graphics max.
    • No Limit on Size or Content

I have the ridiculously large counters posted mostly for my own benefit. I can go to my posts and see how long before all our cruises. Lame, I know. :cool:

I don't mind the future count down boxes, but those that are expired, or "sailed" should be removed. I've tried to compact my signature, but perhaps it's getting out of control?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

As soon as I found out that you could make everyone else's signatures disappear, it made my Cruise Critic experience much better. Most people are pretty good about limiting signatures in characters and keeping them to smaller fonts, but others use way too much space and it's annoying. Just use the option to block signatures and thread viewing is much better.

Is there a suggested or appropiate CC signature guideline here? I love the insight a "signature" provides the reader. Some of the graphics speak a thousand words... The one thing that does get annoying is the signatures that are sooooo long they take up a entire screen. Yes, I know I can turn off the signature line, but the good signatures out weigh the few excessively long signatures.Your thoughts???

:D

Agree with the above!

LuLu

I agree there should be some limit to the length of signatures but I simply just scroll past them quickly. I'd hate to see a limit on the number of photos - there are many threads that I go back to over and over again just to enjoy the pictures (such as Sailor Jack's reviews or the very popular "Show Me Your Aft" thread). It does bother me, however, when people quote a post with the photos in it, which results in the photos repeating over and over. You can quote the wording in a post and delete the duplicated photos.

What I really hate, and causes me to immediately block all posts by a person, is the crawling cockroach that some have as part of a signature. Who really wants to see a cockroach at any time, in any place, and why put one where it completely distracts from whatever message you're trying to post? There's one frequent poster with the dreaded bug on the roll call for a cruise we're taking. We've declined to join the roll call or continue reading it, largely because so many messages are blocked that it disrupts the continuity of the roll call.

Agreed. I block avatars, but not signatures. I put users on "Ignore" if their signature is too long, has too many pictures, or if it has one of those little crawling ants... agh! The worst. :p;):D

Same here. Long vertical signatures and large pictures go straight to my ignore list. Otherwise, I don't turn off signatures because most do not bother me.

In fact, now when I view this thread, it goes straight from post #8 to post #10.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

I edited my options so I just see avatars, and not signatures. Some of the signatures are just ridiculous and it's annoying to have to scroll by them.

I agree about the quotations, too...especially when someone quotes a huge long passage, only part of which is relevant to the reply, or when a bunch of photos show up over and over again. Maybe people don't know that you can quote someone, and then delete the parts of the quoted passage that are irrelevant to the reply.

I agree about the quotations, too...especially when someone quotes a huge long passage, only part of which is relevant to the reply, or when a bunch of photos show up over and over again. Maybe people don't know that you can quote someone, and then delete the parts of the quoted passage that are irrelevant to the reply.

I also think that some people probably don't know how to delete part of the quoted text to zero in on the relevant passage.

And to all those who have huge signatures. I have blocked all of them. Too many were annoyingly long with large fonts.

My signature is for me. Sorry if you find it annoying or egotistical, but it makes me happy :p

My sig is for me, too. It really helps me remember our cruises, especially the years. And the hurricanes! LOL

Too many were annoyingly long with large fonts.

I use the smallest font possible in my sig. :o

It is long past the point to "politely request" a little more discretion in how signatures are constructed, and wholly unrealistic to ask the hosts of this forum to make it their priority (other than offering us the ability to block all signatures as now).

I belong to another forum (tangentially travel-related) which has a rule regarding maximum lines of text and maximum megapixels of graphics in signatures. And absolutely no realistic way to enforce it other than the honor system. If a moderator spots a violation they message a warning; if warning is ignored moderator can edit. And the member can immediately re-edit and return the offending content--even with a much more modern platform than the one used on here there is no way to lock the signature of an individual member. Even if they suspend that member's posting privileges they can still log on and edit their signature. The only solution is to completely cancel their account!

So do we really want our hosts giving fellow members the permanent boot for the "crimes" of failing to remove three-year-old countdown clocks or possession of a sufficiently large ego evinced in posting graphics representing all their loyalty statuses?

(Yeah, some of you will probably say "yes"...)

I also block signatures and avatars. I got tired of scrolling through several pages when a poster responded with one sentence. Now, if there was a way to force the appearance of all posts so I can get rid if the obnoxious constant bolding and using large fonts in posts....:eek:

And please, enough with the Comic Sans font. It is considered one of the worst fonts ever created, and for good reason.

Edited by cbr663

Sorry :o My signature is for me. Sorry if you find it annoying or egotistical, but it makes me happy :p

Hey... Congratulations on being the first person with graphics to join in the discussion.

PS.... Continue to be happy! :D

...so I can get rid if the obnoxious constant bolding and using large fonts in posts....:eek:

I had addressed this a few years ago and was told by several people that they bold and enlarge the font so they can see them better - tired older eyes on a computer screen does not bode well (their words, not mine).

And please, enough with the Comic Sans font. It is considered one of the worst fonts ever created, and for good reason.

LOL! My sister would say the same about papyrus. :D

I've blocked them all because some posters go overboard with length and size.

Long lists used to irritate a little, but now I hardly notice them, and can soon scroll past. I like to check a little on experience of the reply for the occasional post.

Let things be. :cool:

Totally agree with the first quoted. If I really want to know experience of a cruiser, Ian check their profile.

Agreed. I block avatars, but not signatures. I put users on "Ignore" if their signature is too long, has too many pictures, or if it has one of those little crawling ants... agh! The worst. :p;):D

I hate those little ants! Or anything else that moves, scrolls, flashes, etc. I often intentionally skip posts with moving stuff because they annoy me so much. I wish there was a setting to turn those OFF!