Totally Confused--Sleeping 4 in a room on S-ship

pdcsgirl

I have to confess that I am totally confused as to how Celebrity sleeps more than 2 passengers in a room.

A stateroom description on its site says that "taterooms with an upper bed and sofa bed that sleeps two accommodate a maximum of 4 guests"? Huh? Shouldn't that sleep 5? Two twins together as a Queen (2) plus upper bed (1) plus sofa bed that sleeps (2) should equal 5, no?

To further complicate matters, I don't understand the symbols on the deck plan. I see that the square is a sofa bed (but query why all of the sofas aren't sofa beds--it would add greater flexibility) but can't tell how many people the sofa bed is supposed to sleep.

And is the triangle a bed that pulls from the ceiling or a trundle that pulls from underneath the sofa? I'd prefer NOT to have the trundle because it takes up more floor space.

We are a family of 4, so ideally 2 in the queen, 1 on the sofa (not pulled out but made up with a mattress like a bed at night and a pull-down over it)--so a bunk bed set up. A total of 2 queens also works, but only if the 2nd queen is really a queen and not a double or full.

What should I look for? I'm hesitate to call Celebrity because from past experience I have found their agents not very knowledgeable. Thanks.

Edited by pdcsgirl

We actually had 4 people in the sofa bed, pull down room. I don't think the sofa bed would fit two people at all. It's more of a take away the back cushions and put a sheet on the bottom kind of bed. It worked just fine for one person. Kim

The "sofa Bed" is not like a sofa bed in a hotel, it will sleep one, & if every cabin was designed to fit extra guests ( you were asking why every cabin sofa does not convert into a bed) the ship would be over crowded.

One of the best things about Celebrity is the lack of a crowded feeling.

For four people I would get two cabins, I can't imagine 4 in a cabin sharing one bathroom, many of the families who post here get a balcony cabin & then an inside cabin across the way for the kids.

I think that the sofa bed only sleeps 1.

It is not the type of sofa which unfolds to make a full size double-there would not be enough floor space in the stateroom for this. I think the stateroom attendant removes the cushions off the sofa and places a single mattress on top of the sofa and makes this up with sheets, duvet etc.

This picture taken on Solstice shows the setup:

003 Stateroom

Edited by simon stingray

I think that the sofa bed only sleeps 1.

It is not the type of sofa which unfolds to make a full size double-there would not be enough floor space in the stateroom for this. I think the stateroom attendant removes the cushions off the sofa and places a single mattress on top of the sofa and makes this up with sheets, duvet etc.

This picture taken on Solstice shows the setup:

003 Stateroom

Thank you. This will work if there is a pull down above it. (We can't do the 2 room thing because our kids are too young). What I am trying to avoid is the 4th person on a trundle pulled out from that sofa. I think that it would take up too much floor space. I just don't understand how to read the deck plan to avoid that and instead get the "bunk bed" set up.

Thank you. This will work if there is a pull down above it. (We can't do the 2 room thing because our kids are too young). What I am trying to avoid is the 4th person on a trundle pulled out from that sofa. I think that it would take up too much floor space. I just don't understand how to read the deck plan to avoid that and instead get the "bunk bed" set up.

I think you're still confused (or I am:)). There is no "trundle pulled out from the sofa". The sofa converts to a bed, that actually two small children could sleep in (at least on Royal Caribbean). And/or there is a pull down bed from the wall that will be high up I believe. There are not any "bunk beds", though there may be the pull down thing high up that sleeps one. Which may be anywhere, not necessarily above the sofa. As someone else mentioned, if you can afford it, still best to get two rooms - get them adjoining and leave the door between open. You'd have two bathrooms!

When the sofa is opened up for a bed, it WILL take up lots of floor space. No way around that. Unless you want one of the kids to just sleep on the sofa as it is.

Edited by bouhunter

I think you're still confused (or I am:)). There is no "trundle pulled out from the sofa". The sofa converts to a bed, that actually two small children could sleep in. And/or there is a pull down bed from the wall that will be high up I believe. There are not any "bunk beds", though there may be the pull down thing high up that sleeps one. Which may be anywhere, not necessarily above the sofa. As someone else mentioned, if you can afford it, still best to get two rooms - get them adjoining and leave the door between open. You'd have two bathrooms!

When the sofa is opened up for a bed, it WILL take up lots of floor space. No way around that. Unless you want one of the kids to just sleep on the sofa as it is.

Agree with what you said, although I think you meant "connecting" and not "adjoining". All cabins next to another cabin adjoin that cabin - but not all connect.

I think you're still confused (or I am:)). There is no "trundle pulled out from the sofa". The sofa converts to a bed, that actually two small children could sleep in. And/or there is a pull down bed from the wall that will be high up I believe. There are not any "bunk beds", though there may be the pull down thing high up that sleeps one. Which may be anywhere, not necessarily above the sofa. As someone else mentioned, if you can afford it, still best to get two rooms - get them adjoining and leave the door between open. You'd have two bathrooms!

I realize that they aren't actual bunk beds--I was just referring to it as a bunk bed style because the pulldown is usually above another bed, in this case the one made from the sofa. It is also much more efficient in terms of space, as opposed to a trundle. And there are absolutely trundles pulled from sofas on Celebrity ships. I have seen them. Which I why I'm trying to figure out how, if they even are, designated on the deck plans.

My first thought was get another cabin but with small children, that doesn't make a nice vacation for mom and dad to have to be separate! The M class ships have the great family cabins at the back of the ship. But that made me wonder, are other cruise lines doing more for this type of situation? It's got to be a common "bump" - it seems there should be more cabins that are a bit more spacious to accommodate this type of family.

My first thought was get another cabin but with small children, that doesn't make a nice vacation for mom and dad to have to be separate! The M class ships have the great family cabins at the back of the ship. But that made me wonder, are other cruise lines doing more for this type of situation? It's got to be a common "bump" - it seems there should be more cabins that are a bit more spacious to accommodate this type of family.

Exactly. Because my understanding is that you can't book the family one unless you have 5. You can ask to waitlist it....and if no one books it they give it to you the day of sailing. But you can't book it with only 4.

I have seen pictures of the trundle configuration as well, but honestly I don't know how you can tell by the deck plans. I think, but am not positive, that all rooms with trundles also have pull-down beds but not 100% sure. If you are very concerned about it, I think the only thing you can do is call Celebrity and ask, and hope like heck you get someone who knows what they are talking about.

I will add that while you may prefer having the pull-down bed, when all is said and done it is not really that big a deal to have the trundle. If you are up and about but the kids are still sleeping, just take the kid in the trundle bed and move him/her into the main bed and push the trundle back in. We've done that many times when traveling three to a room with my now adult son (meaning, he moves from his bed to ours). Even now, he usually sleeps later than we do so once we get up he moves into our bed for an hour or so because it is more comfortable. This is a personal preference as well, but to me it is less convenient to have a bed hanging from the ceiling that I can knock my head into rather than a bed on the floor I can easily step around. But then I can be clumsy at times:)

Have fun on your cruise and I hope you get the configuration you want.

Exactly. Because my understanding is that you can't book the family one unless you have 5. You can ask to waitlist it....and if no one books it they give it to you the day of sailing. But you can't book it with only 4.

I booked a FV for 2 on Infinity ( M class) 5 months before we sailed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1962177

See post 9 for pictures of FV, but ignore the 1st photo, as that is a 1A on a Solstice class ship.

Edited by upwarduk

I do not think that Celebrity has those types of Cabins like Disney, with a bed that comes down from the ceiling. They do have family cabins in the front of the ship that will sleep four. Like others suggested- perhaps two connecting window cabins with might work for your family and budget.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have seen pictures of the trundle configuration as well, but honestly I don't know how you can tell by the deck plans. I think, but am not positive, that all rooms with trundles also have pull-down beds but not 100% sure. If you are very concerned about it, I think the only thing you can do is call Celebrity and ask, and hope like heck you get someone who knows what they are talking about.

I will add that while you may prefer having the pull-down bed, when all is said and done it is not really that big a deal to have the trundle. If you are up and about but the kids are still sleeping, just take the kid in the trundle bed and move him/her into the main bed and push the trundle back in. We've done that many times when traveling three to a room with my now adult son (meaning, he moves from his bed to ours). Even now, he usually sleeps later than we do so once we get up he moves into our bed for an hour or so because it is more comfortable. This is a personal preference as well, but to me it is less convenient to have a bed hanging from the ceiling that I can knock my head into rather than a bed on the floor I can easily step around. But then I can be clumsy at times:)

Have fun on your cruise and I hope you get the configuration you want.

thanks! See I am just the opposite. I'd run into the trundle while my kid was sleeping and wake her up. I have been in an room with a pull-down and thought it was great. You really don't run into it because it's usually over something else--a twin or a sofa made up as a bed. But we were all adults so no one was going to sleep earlier. With the pull-down we could walk past the kids to go in and out of the balcony without running the risk of bumping into the bed and waking them. I am really disappointed that this config is so hard to find--and nothing above deck 9 if the plans are correct. Huge Celebrity fan in the past (Bermuda, South American for Carnival and Caribbean in a Penthouse Suite are the ones that come to mind), but I'm now seeing why Disney Cruise line is so attractive once one reproduces. :(

thanks! See I am just the opposite. I'd run into the trundle while my kid was sleeping and wake her up. I have been in an room with a pull-down and thought it was great. You really don't run into it because it's usually over something else--a twin or a sofa made up as a bed. But we were all adults so no one was going to sleep earlier. With the pull-down we could walk past the kids to go in and out of the balcony without running the risk of bumping into the bed and waking them. I am really disappointed that this config is so hard to find--and nothing above deck 9 if the plans are correct. Huge Celebrity fan in the past (Bermuda, South American for Carnival and Caribbean in a Penthouse Suite are the ones that come to mind), but I'm now seeing why Disney Cruise line is so attractive once one reproduces. :(

Give Celebrity a call. I am sure you will get all of the information you need. Also check out you tube for pictures of Celebrity s class family ocean view cabins- you might be very interested. They have with a balcony and without-

Yes they do, just look at the symbols in the brochure.

have been on cabin crawls and never saw them. i stand corrected! But if you call celebrity, they do have other options. Saw the family oceanview in january on the eclipse and booked a similar canbin on the Allure for my son, daughter in law and their three chidren.

Our experience on S class cabins for 4:

When there is a square on the cabin layout then it's the sofa and a pull out drawer from underneath with a mattress on top (e.g.9207).

image.jpg1_zpsdrucqon1.jpg

(From another post).

If there is both a square and a triangle, then it's the sofa plus a pull down from the ceiling (e.g.8230).

FV, on both classes, are for 5 persons unless they have been released for general sale nearer sailing time (occasionally, one may be released early).

Will attempt to post photos so that you can see the difference ;).

Edited by villauk

Our experience on S class cabins for 4:

When there is a square on the cabin layout then it's the sofa and a pull out drawer from underneath with a mattress on top (e.g.9207).

image.jpg1_zpsdrucqon1.jpg

(From another post).

If there is both a square and a triangle, then it's the sofa plus a pull down from the ceiling (e.g.8230).

FV, on both classes, are for 5 persons unless they have been released for general sale nearer sailing time (occasionally, one may be released early).

Will attempt to post photos so that you can see the difference ;).

See, now I just called and they told me the square is NOT a pull out drawer from beneath the sofa but a regular sofa bed that opens up to a full, but not queen, bed. That definitely wouldn't work for us. I am even more confused!

See, now I just called and they told me the square is NOT a pull out drawer from beneath the sofa but a regular sofa bed that opens up to a full, but not queen, bed. That definitely wouldn't work for us. I am even more confused!

This is the other configuration (from another post of Eclipse):

image.jpg2_zpszyxxi46y.jpg

You can see the 'drawer' handle used to pull out the base in this photo:

image.jpg1_zps2ztkshns.jpg

Edited by villauk

I have to confess that I am totally confused as to how Celebrity sleeps more than 2 passengers in a room.

A stateroom description on its site says that "taterooms with an upper bed and sofa bed that sleeps two accommodate a maximum of 4 guests"? Huh? Shouldn't that sleep 5? Two twins together as a Queen (2) plus upper bed (1) plus sofa bed that sleeps (2) should equal 5, no?

To further complicate matters, I don't understand the symbols on the deck plan. I see that the square is a sofa bed (but query why all of the sofas aren't sofa beds--it would add greater flexibility) but can't tell how many people the sofa bed is supposed to sleep.

And is the triangle a bed that pulls from the ceiling or a trundle that pulls from underneath the sofa? I'd prefer NOT to have the trundle because it takes up more floor space.

We are a family of 4, so ideally 2 in the queen, 1 on the sofa (not pulled out but made up with a mattress like a bed at night and a pull-down over it)--so a bunk bed set up. A total of 2 queens also works, but only if the 2nd queen is really a queen and not a double or full.

What should I look for? I'm hesitate to call Celebrity because from past experience I have found their agents not very knowledgeable. Thanks.

The triangle is a bed that comes down from the ceiling (yes, Celebrity does have them above the twin bed), and the square is a trundle that pulls from underneath the sofa (at the balcony door). It can accommodate just one person or maybe two small kids (one up, one down?). At least that's the kind of family veranda cabin we had on previous Celebrity cruises on M and S class ships.

A trundle is pulled from underneath the sofa in the evening (while at dinner), during the day there is just the sofa. So, no problems to go in and out of the balcony, but you have to navigate around the bed to access the balcony in the morning and late evening. For me that was not a problem at all. We have always been satisfied with our stateroom.

Enjoy your cruise!

This is the other configuration (from another post of Eclipse):

image.jpg2_zpszyxxi46y.jpg

You can see the 'drawer' handle used to pull out the base in this photo:

image.jpg1_zps2ztkshns.jpg

To clarify, I understand a berth, which is what is shown in both of these photos.

The rooms that I am inquiring about do not have berths. They have only a "convertible sofa bed", so the issue is what does it look like made up to sleep 2. Celebrity says that it's merely a pull OUT sofa (like a traditional sofa bed in a hotel). So you end up with a full bed that 2 people are supposed to sleep in. Others say that it's a trundle, so one person sleeps on the sofa (presumably with a mattress made for it) and the other sleeps on the trundle below. Maybe Celebrity has both configurations, but the deck plans certainly do not distinguish.

have been on cabin crawls and never saw them. i stand corrected! But if you call celebrity, they do have other options. Saw the family oceanview in january on the eclipse and booked a similar canbin on the Allure for my son, daughter in law and their three chidren.

On S class you would not notice the upper bunks because they are flush with the ceiling until they are opened. All you see is a rectangle on the ceiling, not like the older type that stuck out from the wall to catch unwary heads.

To clarify, I understand a berth, which is what is shown in both of these photos.

The rooms that I am inquiring about do not have berths. They have only a "convertible sofa bed", so the issue is what does it look like made up to sleep 2. Celebrity says that it's merely a pull OUT sofa (like a traditional sofa bed in a hotel). So you end up with a full bed that 2 people are supposed to sleep in. Others say that it's a trundle, so one person sleeps on the sofa (presumably with a mattress made for it) and the other sleeps on the trundle below. Maybe Celebrity has both configurations, but the deck plans certainly do not distinguish.

As stated in post #18, and also photographed, the pull out 'drawer' is the type on the S class ships. You can see the drawer handle used to 'pull out' the bottom trundle, complete with the mattress on top. It appears you were hoping for the mechanism type of sofa bed, which obviously would not be the case, as you can see from the photographs, the sofas that are placed in every cabin are hard wooden fixtures with a padded seat on top.

Now the M class ships are different and most have a chair that folds out more like the traditional sofa bed you are thinking of.

With all due respect, some of the X agents have never sailed on a Celebrity ship, never mind seen the sleeping arrangements in a quad cabin ;). Ask them about how the connecting door system works on the S class ships, bet you'll get quite a few different answers on that one too :D.