Room Service for next day lunch on private tour?

Hi, wondering what people do if they are doing a private all day tour that does not include lunch.

Can you order room service the night before, wrap it up, and do they allow you to take food off the ship?

Anyone that has any information, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I've never heard of an "all day tour" that didn't either include lunch or stop somewhere that offered something. Last thing I'd be interested in doing on vacation would be to take a "sack lunch" off a ship........

Edited by bouhunter

No food may be taken off the ship except for prepackaged items such as crackers, protein bars, trail mix and the like. Absolutely no fruit or meat. These are rules of the various countries, not of the ships. Some are stricter than others (that cute little dog you may see can sniff out anything) and hefty fines could be involved.

We always pack protein bars when we travel.

I always bring a snack from the ship. Hypoglycemics and diabetics must have food with them. Go up to the buffet in the morning and find something non perishable (meat and cheese and produce are not allowed off the ship in many ports). There are muffins, cookies, boxed cereals. Bring from home some energy bars or similar.

No food may be taken off the ship except for prepackaged items such as crackers, protein bars, trail mix and the like. Absolutely no fruit or meat. These are rules of the various countries, not of the ships. Some are stricter than others (that cute little dog you may see can sniff out anything) and hefty fines could be involved.

We always pack protein bars when we travel.

I agree with gerif. Wrapping up ordinary room service food and carrying it off would likely break agricultural rules of pretty much every single country. And getting caught could cause fines.

So, carry off commercially packaged foods. There is not a lot of that sort of food on most ships. Sealed cartons of yogurt or milk may be found. Sealed small boxes of cereal or the C&A packaged food gift are decent options. Sometimes there are sealed packs of crackers. If it is a medical issue like hypoglycemia, take responsibility for your own health, bringing sealed, appropriate food from home so you can be confident as you travel. If not medical, either bring your own favorites or maybe just buy lunch or a snack ashore.

Hi, wondering what people do if they are doing a private all day tour that does not include lunch.

Can you order room service the night before, wrap it up, and do they allow you to take food off the ship?

only factory sealed items may be taken off.

any 'all day ' tours will either include lunch or you are expected to buy it at one of the stops. any your operator that does not do either should be avoided if they are unwilling to accommodate such a request

I always bring a snack from the ship. Hypoglycemics and diabetics must have food with them. Go up to the buffet in the morning and find something non perishable (meat and cheese and produce are not allowed off the ship in many ports). There are muffins, cookies, boxed cereals. Bring from home some energy bars or similar.

Muffins and cookies are no-no's along with fruit, meat and cheese and any food products that are not pre-packaged. Energy bars and boxed cereals permitted. Don't be surprised if the next time you smuggle muffins or cookies off the ship, they are confiscated by local authorities.

Saw something interesting last week in Cozumel. instead of going through the shop at the end of the long pier we were ushered around it where Mexican security was there with sniffing dogs. believe me they sniffed everything and everyone. Don't know what they were looking for.

My take is that this is something that RCL is missing out on. While I don't wish to take a 'sack lunch' with me for every port, there are some excursions that would ideal for a 'carry out'.

This is another item of the product mix that could/should be explored. It could be a revenue stream for them and yet also provide another layer of customer service as well. A win-win in anyone's book. RCL offering 'box lunches' with prepackaged items w/ including bottle watered would work.

Per Geri above, don't try to sneak food (except packaged & sealed by the manufacturer) off the ship with you! ;)

LuLu

My take is that this is something that RCL is missing out on. While I don't wish to take a 'sack lunch' with me for every port, there are some excursions that would ideal for a 'carry out'.

This is another item of the product mix that could/should be explored. It could be a revenue stream for them and yet also provide another layer of customer service as well. A win-win in anyone's book. RCL offering 'box lunches' with prepackaged items w/ including bottle watered would work.

I tend to agree that sealed boxed food would be safe and convenient for some guests. I can also imagine the "nickle and diming" threads that might come with such an offering.:eek:

Saw something interesting last week in Cozumel. instead of going through the shop at the end of the long pier we were ushered around it where Mexican security was there with sniffing dogs. believe me they sniffed everything and everyone. Don't know what they were looking for.

Mexican Agriculture Agents have become more active at Cozumel's International Pier during the last year! All packages we have carried off the ship have been inspected for fruit and other prohibited food items.

They can not offer regular food due to regulation.

If they offered the other stuff, everyone would complain about pricing, especially since food would be already paid for if they stayed onboard. They already get crap over selling bottled what as people leave.

Are there places available on the tour to buy lunch?

My husband is diabetic and we always bring packaged crackers and snacks from home as well as a box of cereal from the WJ when we go off the ship.