Hotel Package prices

wally_bushy

Each time we cruise I look at the price of the hotels listed as pre and post cruise options.

I have found I can book the same room for far less than the offered price (including transfers).

Does anyone pay these prices as it is frequently twice the price:eek:

Each time we cruise I look at the price of the hotels listed as pre and post cruise options.

I have found I can book the same room for far less than the offered price (including transfers).

People with more money than sense

People that want a turnkey package with no worries

But I agree with a little work you can pay less than 1/2 the price that O charges. O is not alone. Just got through booking hotels on our next Silversea cruise. They wanted $600 per night for a Reykjavik hotel and was able to book the same on the hotels web site for 240 Euro per night.

However, there are people who want care from when they get in until when they leave. They simply do not know that it is far less to arrange your own transportation to and from the ship. Also, you don't have to wait for another passenger's airplane to get there.

People with more money than sense

People that want a turnkey package with no worries

But I agree with a little work you can pay less than 1/2 the price that O charges. O is not alone. Just got through booking hotels on our next Silversea cruise. They wanted $600 per night for a Reykjavik hotel and was able to book the same on the hotels web site for 240 Euro per night.

A little off topic, but I noticed you are going on cruise to Iceland. We will be going on Oceania's Nordic Quest in July 2016. If you have any private guides in Reykjavik.Isafjodur, Akureyri, Faroe Islands, Oslo, Berlin or Copenhagen, I would appreciate their names and website.

Thanks,

Richard

I am a astounded at how many people do not care if they pay Oceania a multiple for the same service or product they can get on their own for a fraction of what Oceania charges. Count shore excursions in that category too

To each his own. Wouldn't be us

Paul,

We are doing a stopover in Rekyjavik on our way to Amsterdam and would appreciate the name of the hotel you booked as it sounds reasonable. Also any private guides or tours. We will stop over 3 or 4 nites and want to see the sights. Also thinking about renting a car and driving ourselves.

For others, if you take Icelandic Airlines, they provide a free stop over for up to seven days on flights to Europe. Don't have lie flat seats in Business but, not as long a flight and a nice inexpensive way to visit iceland without paying point to point fares. And, Icelandic is significantly less expensive than most other airlines to Europe both business and coach.

Of course not. Try Tingo.com (owned by trip advisor. They guarantee price drops and/or match prices (including the hotel's own "lowest guaranteed price" AND they automatically note, at least, the published price drops, keep a tab, and refund you the difference after you've traveled.

A little off topic, but I noticed you are going on cruise to Iceland. We will be going on Oceania's Nordic Quest in July 2016. If you have any private guides in Reykjavik.Isafjodur, Akureyri, Faroe Islands, Oslo, Berlin or Copenhagen, I would appreciate their names and website.

Thanks,

Richard

David Wellsbury of Iceland Horizon. Excellent

Of course not. Try Tingo.com (owned by trip advisor. They guarantee price drops and/or match prices (including the hotel's own "lowest guaranteed price" AND they automatically note, at least, the published price drops, keep a tab, and refund you the difference after you've traveled.

Just checked out the site and while they do promise lowest price just like quite a few other sites, one thing that none of these sites cover is special rates such as AAA, Senior, Government, etc. or specials based on your hotel elite status.

Agree it is a good thing to look at but, for Oceania cruisers, you can most probably get better rates thru aarp, senior or other special rates not available on Tingo. Did review Tingo FAQ's and confirmed that they do not match these special rates that most of us can get by going directly to the hotel or hotel chain website.

So, while it doesn't hurt to check out Tingo, once you find the lowest price there, simply go to the hotel's site click for your special rate and almost everytime you will get a lower price plus, for most third party sites, they want you to pay in full up front while you almost NEVER have to pay in advance using the hotel's website. That said, sometimes there are lower prices for pay in advance but, beware, they are completely non-refundable!!

(bolding mine).

This feature sounds better than it probably is in reality.

Hotel prices, like airline fares, very rarely go down as the travel date approaches. In fact, they are very likely to go up the more rooms/seats have been sold. Usually only properties that cannot sell rooms would lower prices closer to travel date and chances are I wouldn't be interested in them.

This, of course, is a generalization. Special sales or promotions by large hotel chains are always possible.

Just checked out the site and while they do promise lowest price just like quite a few other sites, one thing that none of these sites cover is special rates such as AAA, Senior, Government, etc. or specials based on your hotel elite status.

Agree it is a good thing to look at but, for Oceania cruisers, you can most probably get better rates thru aarp, senior or other special rates not available on Tingo. Did review Tingo FAQ's and confirmed that they do not match these special rates that most of us can get by going directly to the hotel or hotel chain website.

So, while it doesn't hurt to check out Tingo, once you find the lowest price there, simply go to the hotel's site click for your special rate and almost everytime you will get a lower price plus, for most third party sites, they want you to pay in full up front while you almost NEVER have to pay in advance using the hotel's website. That said, sometimes there are lower prices for pay in advance but, beware, they are completely non-refundable!!

While Tingo's FAQs may have a "special rate" disclaimer, their regular practice is to match any hotel's web posted prices. Just yesterday, I called to alert them to a "senior" package discount recently posted by our upcoming Lisbon hotel. Not only did they reduce my current rate (auto discounted twice before since I booked), they issued it as an immediate VISA credit even though standard practice is to group any drops and issue the credit once travel is completed. Also got an apology that their (and apparently all) search sights' software don't catch every special.

At the bottom line, I agree that the lowest price comes from researching individual hotel websites for affinity prices. However, monitoring price drops is somewhat time consuming.

So, what I do is: find a handful of hotels (always paying attention to major chains where I have a bank of points) that meet my preferences and have good reviews (Trip Advisor, Rick Steves, Bourdain, etc.) scan for general pricing using Tingo, check hotel sites for specials Tingo has missed and then call Tingo for match. Thus, the value of Tingo really is initial broad search (because it's owned by Trip Advisor, hotel pages also have TA review link) and price monitoring with auto price drops.

BTW, another Trip Advisor owned website worth a look is Jetsetter.com. It runs flash sales on highly rated properties. Last year, we bought a "dirt cheap" stay at The Heritage House for a long Mendocino Coast weekend, which was nearing completion of major property renovation after it had been closed for many years. (Remember "Same Time Next Year"?)

Thanks,

Richard

I always find a good first task for finding private tours is too look at the past cruises. We did the Viking Odyessy which is almost the same as yours. Check out the Roll call for it Arlene and Laraine did a great job with the tours!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1786091

Paul,

We are doing a stopover in Rekyjavik on our way to Amsterdam and would appreciate the name of the hotel you booked as it sounds reasonable. Also any private guides or tours. We will stop over 3 or 4 nites and want to see the sights. Also thinking about renting a car and driving ourselves.

For others, if you take Icelandic Airlines, they provide a free stop over for up to seven days on flights to Europe. Don't have lie flat seats in Business but, not as long a flight and a nice inexpensive way to visit iceland without paying point to point fares. And, Icelandic is significantly less expensive than most other airlines to Europe both business and coach.

Raddison Blu 1919 is the hotel we booked. Right in the action of the Reykjavik night life (a little noisy but should be fun)

Agree with your Icelandic Air comment too. We fly back home in their Saga Business Class. Was good price especially on a one way segment.

Edited by PaulMCO

(bolding mine).

This feature sounds better than it probably is in reality.

Hotel prices, like airline fares, very rarely go down as the travel date approaches. In fact, they are very likely to go up the more rooms/seats have been sold. Usually only properties that cannot sell rooms would lower prices closer to travel date and chances are I wouldn't be interested in them.

This, of course, is a generalization. Special sales or promotions by large hotel chains are always possible.

Yes - price rise is not a hard and fast fact.

We booked highly rated Heritage Avenida Liberdad in Lisbon about nine months ahead and, over multiple price drops (throughout Lisbon), have already seen a 14% credit on our upcoming visit. In this case, the Euro value drop may have contributed. Also, sometimes hotels do "think big" about demand 9-12 months earlier.

At the same time, you are correct that, like many O cruises (and airfares), hotel prices usually rise as trip dates approach. I just like the idea that someone (Tingo) is watching the hotels for me.

Note: on our O Alaska cruise last year and on this year's upcoming O Med Cruise, our TA arranged price drops (one after final payment) for significant unpublished price drops for short window O/TA preferred partnership "specials". I mention this because these price drops may be few and far between, but they do exist.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I have heard the point many times that certain people want and need to be taken care of from start to finish. All they need to do to accomplish that is to have a good TA who makes all the proper arrangements and saves them a lot of money by doing so.

As one who travels for a living (90+ countries with over 5M BIS miles) -- I would never book from Price line, Hotels, Expedia etc... I have seen too many horror stories where people check in and there is no booking or booking is lost. Try to get a hold of an agent from Delhi?? Also people who book thru third party engines are the first to be involuntary bumped.

I book with a TA or directly. You may get (as someone pointed out) a better rate with AAA, Senior Discount and special codes directly than using a third party site. Many times the direct hotel site can offer a better rate as the rate is non commissionable.

Many sites do not give points or miles -- so that is another downside.

As one who travels for a living (90+ countries with over 5M BIS miles) -- I would never book from Price line, Hotels, Expedia etc... I have seen too many horror stories where people check in and there is no booking or booking is lost. Try to get a hold of an agent from Delhi?? Also people who book thru third party engines are the first to be involuntary bumped.

I book with a TA or directly. You may get (as someone pointed out) a better rate with AAA, Senior Discount and special codes directly than using a third party site. Many times the direct hotel site can offer a better rate as the rate is non commissionable.

Many sites do not give points or miles -- so that is another downside.

Agree completely with your strategy. We do the same

Many would be surprised the the hotel websites often have special deals

Flatbush Flyer,

Do you get hotel points/stay credits (like with Hyatt, Marriott, etc) when you book via Tingo?

Yes. When you arrive, have reception enter your loyalty number in your record. Also, know that Tingo is based in Massachusetts and does not outsource its phone center responsibilities to foreign shores.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Yes. When you arrive, have reception enter your loyalty number in your record. Also, know that Tingo is based in Massachusetts and does not outsource its phone center responsibilities to foreign shores.

WRONG -- Tingo is just Trip Advisor and uses the various engines linked to it to get you offers (Booking.com, Expedia etc.). You will NOT get points from many of the chains. Specifically here are the rules from Marriott --

Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com,

Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, and Hotels.com, as well as operators of opaque booking channels such as Priceline and Hotwire are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. In cases where such third party online retailers offer for sale “retail” rates that require the guest to pay the hotel directly for the stay, provided the online retailer has remitted your Marriott Rewards information to the hotel, such stays are eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Wholesale packages and series tours are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit regardless of booking source."

So if you get a bargain (less than the Marriott Guaranteed rate) == zero points and zero stays.

WRONG -- Tingo is just Trip Advisor and uses the various engines linked to it to get you offers (Booking.com, Expedia etc.). You will NOT get points from many of the chains. Specifically here are the rules from Marriott --

Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com,

Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, and Hotels.com, as well as operators of opaque booking channels such as Priceline and Hotwire are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. In cases where such third party online retailers offer for sale “retail” rates that require the guest to pay the hotel directly for the stay, provided the online retailer has remitted your Marriott Rewards information to the hotel, such stays are eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Wholesale packages and series tours are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit regardless of booking source."

So if you get a bargain (less than the Marriott Guaranteed rate) == zero points and zero stays.

Weird! I'm looking at my Marriott account and there's points for stays in Seattle and Vancouver in summer 2014 booked via Tingo at a Marriott senior rate match. Must have been my good looks?

In any case, there's nothing wrong with just using Tingo as a search tool for price comparison and then getting the res. at the chain website. Or you can cancel Tingo booking closer to trip after getting chain to match their price. Or you can just use Tingo for non-chain properties.

I do agree with concern over the "no reservation" problem with some third party bookings. That is why I always call the booked hotel beforehand to confirm that they do have a record.

Greetings Wally Bushy. I don't know how many people take the hotel packages. I do know, however, that my husband and I are staying four nights in the same hotel Oceania is using for the June 22 Insignia's Panama Canal Connection cruise. We are taking that cruise and in this case, our choice of hotels is based on our membership in InterContinental's IHG Rewards Club. As members of multiple loyalty programs, it is easy to find a suitable hotel. We always book our own transfers.

If people didn't take cruise lines' hotel/transer packages, they wouldn't exist. For those who want these services, it is a good thing they are available. You do get what you pay for, and having every detail prearranged is important to some.

Mary

Yes people do use the package ...why because maybe they want everything taken care of by the cruise line

Yes you can get things a lot cheaper but some people do not care about the price

It is a personal choice & as long as I am not paying for it who really cares

YMMD

Lyn

Greetings Wally Bushy. I don't know how many people take the hotel packages. I do know, however, that my husband and I are staying four nights in the same hotel Oceania is using for the June 22 Insignia's Panama Canal Connection cruise. We are taking that cruise and in this case, our choice of hotels is based on our membership in InterContinental's IHG Rewards Club. As members of multiple loyalty programs, it is easy to find a suitable hotel. We always book our own transfers.

If people didn't take cruise lines' hotel/transer packages, they wouldn't exist. For those who want these services, it is a good thing they are available. You do get what you pay for, and having every detail prearranged is important to some.

Mary

That is similar to us as we primarily use IHG and Fairmonts.

Because I use an Australian TA it is just as seamless booking hotels through them rather than the cruiseline.

However if the supply and demand curves are working someone is using the Hotel Packages;)

Steve