No help from RCCL

Why can't the worker bees at RCCL help me in answering questions regarding my reservation when I call if I used a travel agent to book? I purchased (supposedly) transfers from Bush Int'l to the port of Galveston from my TA a few weeks back and when I logged onto my cruises, I couldn't see that my transfers were there nor was there anything to print up to bring with me. So, I called RCCL to inquire about them and the guy said he couldn't answer ANY of my questions and that I needed to call my TA. Really? They can't even tell me if it shows that they were purchased? Couldn't even tell me how I would receive confirmation to print up and take with me. Well, my credit card was charged so I know I purchased them but instead of making it easier for me and answering those questions they rudely just said we can't talk to you. Anyone else dealt with this?

Why can't the worker bees at RCCL help me in answering questions regarding my reservation when I call if I used a travel agent to book? I purchased (supposedly) transfers from Bush Int'l to the port of Galveston from my TA a few weeks back and when I logged onto my cruises, I couldn't see that my transfers were there nor was there anything to print up to bring with me. So, I called RCCL to inquire about them and the guy said he couldn't answer ANY of my questions and that I needed to call my TA. Really? They can't even tell me if it shows that they were purchased? Couldn't even tell me how I would receive confirmation to print up and take with me. Well, my credit card was charged so I know I purchased them but instead of making it easier for me and answering those questions they rudely just said we can't talk to you. Anyone else dealt with this?

Unfortunately they can not talk to you if you book through a TA. You can only talk to them if you book direct. All TA bookings have to go through TA to ask questions.

Edited by Spurschick

many before you have had similar experiences.

as others have said, when you chose to book with a travel agent, your chose meant the TA owns your booking. everything goes through the agent. Got a great agent, then call your great agent and all will be well. OTOH, if you selected a bad agent, ouch, it may be painful...Been there. always chose a great agent or book direct.

Your TA owns the reservation, and as such technically it is your TA who is Royal's client, not you. Thus Royal can only talk to your TA, not you. For many people, this is a primary reason why they don't use TA's. For others, the perks that many TA's offer is worth having to use the TA as a liaison.

This has long been the SOP/practice of the entire travel industry.. if you booked via a travel agent, as a courtesy, you have to go to your travel agent instead of going directly to the tour operator/provider.

It will be rude to the TA if you book with them, then bypass them and go directly to the operator on anything related with your booking with the TA.

Edited by roquejo

My wife and I don't have this problem.....we cruise WITH our TA and his wife :) We met them on a cruise several years ago and became friends, now we vacation together. He gets his commission and we all get to have fun together.

Jeff

My wife and I don't have this problem.....we cruise WITH our TA and his wife :) We met them on a cruise several years ago and became friends, now we vacation together. He gets his commission and we all get to have fun together.

Jeff

Well, that was very helpful to the OP............:rolleyes:

I book direct, so haven't dealt with it. But it sure makes sense. I'd expect you to get the same answer if you called about a reservation I booked with RCCL. As waterbug123 said, it isn't your reservation.

Chalk it up as another perk of using a TA.....;)

Problem solved.....call your TA.

The line of demarcation between rude and not liking the polite but only possible answer can sometimes get a blurred here on Cruise Critic. In all fairness, this could also fall under the 'Why can't they show it on your Royal invoice?' thread a few weeks ago.

Edited by Big_G

Same thing happened to me last week for my cruise on Navigator for Mar. 22 . Call your TA, he will call RCCL and tell you what you need to do to get your transfer voucher. It is on page 31 of the online booklet which is different than the Set Sail Pass.

Edited by Susie51

I was told the same thing when inquiring on my dining time on the upcoming Oasis cruise. Was told to contact my TA. I've read on CC that is the way it operates. What is so funny is that I was examining my reservation on RCL website and in black & white it says 6PM traditional dining. Hope this is right as my reserve was made prior to the announcement of DD and later to undue it.

Edited by nelblu
addl data

I feel your pain. I booked through a travel agent too just to save $200. I didn't realize I would have to deal with them on every issue related to my reservation and it turns out I picked a crappy TA to boot. It's very frustrating and the RC rep told me straight out it's because they need to earn their commission. I get that but I will never book a RC cruise again through a TA. The $200. I saved definetly wasn't worth the frustration.

There are a great many things I can do on my reservation without my TA being involved....such as making excursion reservations, specialty dining reservations, My Time Dining reservations, spa reservations, show reservations and filling out all the paper work for Set Sail Pass, documents and sports waivers.

I like that I can drop my TA an email or call her and she can deal with other aspects of the cruise, such as changing cabins or adding transfers. Way easier than calling RCI and sitting on the phone for 15 minutes to get anything done. Plus my TA has cruised often and knows the ins and outs of a cruising and can give advice....it's a coin toss if any of the customer service people at RCI have ever stepped a foot on a cruise ship.

I also like that my TA looks out for my reservation. Just yesterday she emailed me that they were offering a very reduced rate to upgrade from a D1 to a Junior suite and would I be interested in that. She also keeps me informed of group cruises she is arranging and oftentimes give us rates that are below the posted rates.

When we book a cruise with my TA I receive an invoice with all the information on it and if we add or change something she sends us a corrected invoice showing the changes. So if the OP had our TA he would be able to look at his invoice and see his port transfers reserved.

A good TA is a wonderful thing.

I feel your pain. I booked through a travel agent too just to save $200. I didn't realize I would have to deal with them on every issue related to my reservation and it turns out I picked a crappy TA to boot. It's very frustrating and the RC rep told me straight out it's because they need to earn their commission. I get that but I will never book a RC cruise again through a TA. The $200. I saved definetly wasn't worth the frustration.

As someone else posted, that's how it works with most cruise lines so it's not just Royal Caribbean. I see you have cruised on Carnival, do they answer if you have booked through a TA? Just curious.

Edited by iheartbda

OP, call your TA and ask for an RC invoice. This should show anything you have paid for. For example, your insurance, taxes, prepaid gratuities.

2nd, as a reminder when you go to print your set sail pass, yes you can do that, make sure you print your transfer invoice. It is included with all of the cruise documentation. Often people will tell you that all you need is the set sail pass and luggage tags. Not true if you have purchased transfers through RC or hotel stays through them.

Good luck and I hope you get the answers you need.

AZAficionado, please fix your signature so it isn't so wide. Most of the postings are halfway off my screen.

Sorry about that. And thank you for saying something. The code I was using has been deprecated (I didn't know until now) and still works on some browsers (like mine). If you didn't say something, I would never have known.

It's the downside to booking with a travel agent, and the main reason that we no longer do it. Having been told previously that the travel agent was the only person they would speak to when we had a problem, we decided that we were the best people to deal with our booking, and we prefer to have that control.

Having said that, can be quite frustrating and time consuming dealing with RCI call centres, so you have to weigh up the pros and cons!