Room number requested at anytime dining

earnied

Each night at anytime dining on the Royal each couple has been asked to provide their room number. There have been cases of Noro virus which may have something to do with it, the waiter states he does not know why. We have never been asked for our room number at diner before, any ideas?

Each night at anytime dining on the Royal each couple has been asked to provide their room number. There have been cases of Noro virus which may have something to do with it, the waiter states he does not know why. We have never been asked for our room number at diner before, any ideas?

I think the main reason for doing this is so that they can call your cabin and try to have you arrange for a reserved seating time in the MDR to help with scheduling the wait staff and balance things out a little. If there is a "code" situation on the ship there might be crew affected which may be part of the problem.

We were called every day after we ate in the MDR (we frequent the HC if the scheduling calls for an earlier/quicker meal in order to catch a show ) and we never did set a planned time with them for a reservation.

On other cruise lines we have been on that had "Anytime Dining so to speak" and you are always asked to make sure to give your room number to verify that you are truly assigned to "Anytime" Dinning and not from the Traditional Dining.

Maybe Princess is starting to tighten up this service...which I hope they do!

Princess's program should really be called "Anywhere Dining" because they do not hold people to the dining room they signed up for which I think makes "Anytime Dinning" get jammed up at times. :cool:

On other cruise lines we have been on that had "Anytime Dining so to speak" and you are always asked to make sure to give your room number to verify that you are truly assigned to "Anytime" Dinning and not from the Traditional Dining.

Maybe Princess is starting to tighten up this service...which I hope they do!

Princess's program should really be called "Anywhere Dining" because they do not hold people to the dining room they signed up for which I think makes "Anytime Dinning" get jammed up at times. :cool:

I agree. It would be great if they sent away any TD folks who come to AD

On Holland America the Maitre D' asks for your cabin before you are shown to a table, presumably if you had traditional you would be directed elsewhere. I feel that Princess should do it this way.

On the Regal in January at the Anytime Dining room you were not asked for your cabin number or to show your cruise card.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I am convinced that traditional diners going to the anytime dining rooms contributes to the sometimes long lines and wait times with anytime dining. I really do hope they are checking to ensure everyone is using their assigned dining room - and that it spreads to all the ships in the fleet.

On Coral Princess in 2010, the Maitre' D asked to see our cruise card the first night. I think she was able to decode the number on it using her secret decoder ring and confirm that we had AD.

Regardless, just ask why when then they ask for your number, and you'll have your answer. Would you skip dinner if they didn't tell you why?

On Coral Princess in 2010, the Maitre' D asked to see our cruise card the first night. I think she was able to decode the number on it using her secret decoder ring and confirm that we had AD.

No secret decoder ring needed.

If assigned to traditional, cruise the card will have the dining room name and seating time printed right on it.

We were called every day after we ate in the MDR (we frequent the HC if the scheduling calls for an earlier/quicker meal in order to catch a show ) and we never did set a planned time with them for a reservation.

First post I have ever seen (except for people in full suites) about receiving calls from the MDR.

Edited by caribill

Each night at anytime dining on the Royal each couple has been asked to provide their room number. .... the waiter states he does not know why.

Next time, ask the person who is asking for your cabin number.

No secret decoder ring needed.

If assigned to traditional, cruise the card will have the dining room name and seating time printed right on it.

That decoder ring has been a secret to me for 4.5 years. ;)

I would assume the reason they ask is for tip distribution.

But, I agree. It would be best to ask at the door and to validate that the person indeed had anytime dining and to turn them away if they should have had a traditional dining seat.

Never been asked for our cabin number on Princess but we will see what happens on our next cruise.

We've always been asked for our cabin or folio number on Carnival.

Last cruise on HAL we only at at the Lido. At night we were asked our cabin number. That was odd.

I think it's not only for finding a pax but also allocation of gratuities.

Only wish they would check every night to confirm people actually have Anytime Dining. :rolleyes:

Thing is they very seldom ask for the cabin number until we are already seated.

We were seated with a couple who gave the waiter their cabin number and told him they had Tradition Dining but sometimes had dinner in Anytime.

His reply was that he just needed their cabin number as a record of who he served that evening.

LuLu

We have always had anytime dining on Princess. On the recent Royal cruise, we were asked for our stateroom number; on the Caribbean Princess not so much. We were asked for our stateroom on some of our earlier Princess cruises and not others. I have no problem with providing it for whatever use Princess has---tip distribution, ensuring TD diners eat elsewhere, etc

If you have chosen traditional time dining, you are not welcome in any time dining. That is the reason that they ask.

But why do they ask instead of just looking at the cruise card which says if in traditional or anytime?

Knowing the cabin number does no good unless they spend extra time entering it into their computer to see what it shows about dining.

But why do they ask instead of just looking at the cruise card which says if in traditional or anytime?

Knowing the cabin number does no good unless they spend extra time entering it into their computer to see what it shows about dining.

I have asked the waiters, like yourself, and wasn't given any answer other than they were told to do it. On the CB or Royal recently they didn't bother to ask for cabin numbers on our trips.

Maybe they've collected enough data to end the survey?

Whatever the reason it couldn't possibly be to check on TD or AT dining since sometime they didn't ask until you were seated and you could have given them any cabin number. :p