Difficult to NOT Talk About Upcoming Cruise?

pseudoware

If you're like me, you get immersed in the planning of your cruise vacation - transportation, tours, attractions, etc. This is at the forefront of your thinking as much as a year or more in advance of the trip.

Naturally, you're excited and want to talk about your plans, options and the choices you've made. But... maybe there are some you know for whom, for whatever reason, you feel the need to refrain from discussing you plans.

Why, and is it difficult for you to hold back?

We have three major trips upcoming this year - the first is a TA to Lisbon followed in a few days by a Black Sea cruise (different line) followed by a trip to Cappadocia in central Turkey - and that's just the first one. So many details to get in place.

However, we virtually never discuss the minutiae of our trips with friends and family. Frankly, they would be bored. Just as we would be bored listening to someone planning the most exciting (to them) hiking/camping/fishing trip through the wilds of wherever.

Jabbering your excitement over a cruise is fine for about 15 seconds. After that, unless there is reciprocal jabbering about their trips, you will lose your audience. Not difficult at all to hold back.

My wife's mother is no longer alive, but when she was my wife told here our vacation plans almost as we boarded the plane. Her mother would harp on her about it. So it was a taboo subject.

Paul, I can completely identify with your wife's point of view. My parents still do that with my grandmother. They almost wait until they have their bags packed before they tell her. She's 97, almost 98 (in about 2 months).

They don't tell her too much, as she just gets so overwhelmed with almost everything at that age. She's in great condition all things considered. She just worries a lot, and that has really only started in the last six months or so.

If you're like me, you get immersed in the planning of your cruise vacation - transportation, tours, attractions, etc. This is at the forefront of your thinking as much as a year or more in advance of the trip.

Naturally, you're excited and want to talk about your plans, options and the choices you've made. But... maybe there are some you know for whom, for whatever reason, you feel the need to refrain from discussing you plans.

Why, and is it difficult for you to hold back?

I guess it's because I love cruising so much. As soon as we book I go online and look at everything about the cruise. Then I hit the forum boards. Our next cruise will be in November. Hubby says when he makes the final payment he'll be in cruise mode.

In June we are taking my daughter and two granddaughters on the Freedom of the Seas. I booked this cruise "last" May during a really good sale, so the waiting has been painful to say the least. Up until this point my granddaughters haven't wanted to talk about it at all because it was booked so far out, but now they are finally allowing themselves to get excited, which allows me to get excited too.......:D.

As far as the office.......I never mention any upcoming cruises because I work with people who love to make snarky comments. I am sure they are just jealous, but I would rather keep it to myself than have someone expect me to justify why I am taking yet another cruise this year.....;).

Happy sailing everyone!!!

I'm with you, cruznjan! We will go on our first ever cruise in August and I'm so excited I can't stand it! I've already spent hours here on the forums, learning everything I can, on the Princess website, not to mention I am well on my way to having the deck maps memorized! I think I'm a little obsessed. [emoji4]

We've booked a month sailing from the UK to the Caribbean and back- for next January. After our initial discussions, I thought it would go on the back burner for several months, until one of us bursts out (as we did today) with- ought we to buy some €€€s now, for Madeira/Azores, or do we have enough?

We have told quite a few people, but they've taken in that we're cruising again, but not when, so some have already asked us how the cruise was....:rolleyes:

I'm with you, cruznjan! We will go on our first ever cruise in August and I'm so excited I can't stand it! I've already spent hours here on the forums, learning everything I can, on the Princess website, not to mention I am well on my way to having the deck maps memorized! I think I'm a little obsessed. [emoji4]

LOL we are all obsessed on here which is what makes CC so great. Have a great time on your cruise, if your anything like the rest of us, you will come home even more obsessed LOL.

JULIE

Edited by ilovemom

Other than my sister no one else in my life has ever cruised before, so they don't understand my cruise obsession. So I get the sarcastic, "so what cruise are you going on this year"? So now other than my hubby and our 9 year old son sometimes my sister and of course here on CC I don't speak of our vacations to anyone unless I am asked a specific question without the sarcasm added. And yes I have a very hard time not talking about because I am so excited I want to scream I'm going to Hawaii for 15 days and we are doing this and that LOL.

Julie

Edited by ilovemom

Hubby is less addicted than I and gets sick of me talking about it....so much so we are not cruising this year :(. Although I hoping for an amazing deal he cannot say no to last minute!

I have a friend and a great Uncle who both adore cruising and my other friends and family not so much although I have been asked about stuff and some have considered it.

The discovery about my Uncle was made last weekend when although I knew he cruised we hadn't spoken in a while and once we got talking about it we were off (even though our age and line taste is different...he likes the UK market where I prefer US brands) he even asked my brother to move so he could talk to me more! heh.

My fb is very cruise orientated at times.

Edited by Velvetwater

In June we are taking my daughter and two granddaughters on the Freedom of the Seas. I booked this cruise "last" May during a really good sale, so the waiting has been painful to say the least. Up until this point my granddaughters haven't wanted to talk about it at all because it was booked so far out, but now they are finally allowing themselves to get excited, which allows me to get excited too.......:D.

As far as the office.......I never mention any upcoming cruises because I work with people who love to make snarky comments. I am sure they are just jealous, but I would rather keep it to myself than have someone expect me to justify why I am taking yet another cruise this year.....;).

Happy sailing everyone!!!

I

Love to hear everybody talking about their cruises you can gain very useful information on the different islands called at. But agree about work very rarely say till we about to go people seem to think we are bragging hate that as I always tell them to enjoy theirs making all those memories to look back on you just can not beat it enjoy Jen frank brown

LOL we are all obsessed on here which is what makes CC so great. Have a great time on your cruise, if your anything like the rest of us, you will come home even more obsessed LOL.

JULIE

Thanks, Julie! I have a feeling you're right!

--Amy

I usually book my cruises over a year in advance so nobody wants to talk about or listen to my excitement that far in advance! Thank goodness for Cruise Critic. I come on here and follow live onboard trip reviews of the ship I'm going on, check out the excursion boards, etc. When I talk about it at home so early I can tell it goes in one ear and out the other and they just make it look like they are listening :D When I asked my son if he was ready for another cruise before I booked, he said he was but I was not allowed to talk about it until it was almost time to sail!!!

Oddly enough, that person for me is my DH and he goes with us on the cruises!

It isn't that he isn't happy to go, as a matter of fact he is miserable if we don't have a vacation planned due to a very physical job he has. He just doesn't really well.. care about details!

I am a big planner, and will happily tell him every new thing I find out about the ship and or ports. Just yesterday I got my info packet from the Bermuda tourism board for our June 2016 cruise. I was all excited and happy and showing him all kinds of stuff. He looked at me and said "Isn't that in like 16 months? Why do I care right now?" :rolleyes: DH wants to know as much as what days do I need to schedule my vacation time since they can do it every August and that is all that matters.

Our DS's aren't as bad, they will at least listen to me with glazed eyes, but they are also teenagers so that is expected anytime mom talks. Unless it is about food.. then they are all up in the planning!

I only talk about our upcoming cruise to my best friend. Most people I know including family don't know we are booked on a Baltic 2016. Not many people around here cruise so I get a lot of rude comments about going on "another"

cruise. Or, "it must be nice." I have been on 3 whole cruises by the way.

What they don't seem to put into their thinking is. I don't drink or smoke. My husband and I both work and so do our children and when I take them on a cruise they pay most of their own way if not all of it. I am a saver so I have a stash. We don't have satalite or cable. We don't eat out. We live frugally. For our Baltic cruise the kids and I have all been saving for 3 years.

I guess I took the long way around to saying although I'd love to burst and tell everyone. I usually only talk about it when someone asks. My husbands family are not judgmental. They were raised with a bit more money then my family. I usually don't mention it to my mom because she thinks it is not necessary.

Edited by sprint180

I don't talk up my upcoming travels to anyone. One simple reason - security. Far too many people put a target on their homes by making a big deal of their upcoming trip. Better to tell folks afterwards. Even if you trust a friend, who knows who they may inadvertently mention your travel to. And those who post on social media before and during their trip have a death wish for home security, IMO.

Even for the shuttle trip to the airport, we make comments while riding to each other on how we have everything stashed for our nephew's house-sitting -- the steaks in the freezer, the beer in the fridge, where the dog treats are and the like. Except there is no nephew and no dog. But why not create the image that the house will not be a good target for a thief.

Paul, I can completely identify with your wife's point of view. My parents still do that with my grandmother. They almost wait until they have their bags packed before they tell her. She's 97, almost 98 (in about 2 months).

They don't tell her too much, as she just gets so overwhelmed with almost everything at that age. She's in great condition all things considered. She just worries a lot, and that has really only started in the last six months or so.

When my mother in law was living, we also never told her about our trips until we were leaving. She never understood our desire to travel and would work herself into a crisis either mental or physical problems. We always made arrangements for our children or friends to check in on her but she was very unhappy that we felt we "had to travel."