Changes to waitstaff tipping policy

wattsde

Just as when you check into a property on a land vacation, you will be given a 'door key', it is called a Sea Pass. It is your on property, ie: on ship, identification and charge card. No need to leave the cabin with anything else. Your agent must have booked you during one of the 123 Pick Your Perk sale programs. Gratuaties included in the price of the cruise was one of the items that could be picked. You will never have the problem of any staff on ship with their hand out like on a land vacation.

Please stop back after you return and give us your thoughts.

Wallie is correct and if one of the perks you got was a drink package, the gratuities are already paid for that. If you do not have a drink package, a gratuity will be added to every drink you buy.

Edited by dkjretired

Oh, if only all the cruise lines were Japanese owned and on board charges were in Yen. :)

Then there would be no need for tips, unhappy wait staff and so on. For them, great service is a matter of great pride and the offer of a tip is tantamount to an insult. Granted, you don't get the soul-less, "have a nice day" but I could live without that to avoid the tyranny of gratuities.

That's how I feel also I tip well those who give me service. If they feel like giving to others it is up to them.

I have all tips removed from my bill and give to the stewards / servers. I look at this as no different than at a restaurant I tip at point of service. Splitting of tips is up to person receiving from there.

They are not allowed to keep cash tips if you remove the tips from your onboard account. They must give them up to be pooled. It is only if these cash tips are in addition to the auto tip that they can keep the cash.

/\ /\ /\ /\ - THIS!

Ship staff like to gossip (well don't we all to some extent...?)....Remember, They told us Bistro on 5 was closing to become a suite dining room, as recently as last month....They told us Century was being redeployed to Venice even though it was announced it was being sold off....

If it's true, the bad ticked off apples will leave and new ones will come in and not know any different and be happy. I would think they get thousands of applications and hire only a relatively few number ( I realize they use outside services to fill positions).

Pooling of tips is common in restaurants, especially higher end ones, where wait staff split tips with bussers, dishwashers etc.

I also, like many here, thought tips were already pooled, and cash tips also had to be pooled. There;s a post in another thread someplace talking about guests trying to cash tip the assistant cabin steward who told them the cash must go to the lead, who will then split with them.

I just noticed we are on the same Summit repo cruise in Oct. We did this one last year and it was great. I have always enjoyed your posts, you inject a level of sanity in some of the discussions. I'll be sure to say "hi!"

Oh, if only all the cruise lines were Japanese owned and on board charges were in Yen. :)

Then there would be no need for tips, unhappy wait staff and so on. For them, great service is a matter of great pride and the offer of a tip is tantamount to an insult. Granted, you don't get the soul-less, "have a nice day" but I could live without that to avoid the tyranny of gratuities.

I'll agree with that. I've visited Japan twice, and the customer service was incredible. Wonderful country!

[quote name='timbom']That's how I feel also I tip well those who give me service. If they feel like giving to others it is up to them.

I have all tips removed from my bill and give to the stewards / servers. I look at this as no different than at a restaurant I tip at point of service. Splitting of tips is up to person receiving from there.[/quote]

[quote name='sandancer']They are not allowed to keep cash tips if you remove the tips from your onboard account. They must give them up to be pooled. It is only if these cash tips are in addition to the auto tip that they can keep the cash.[/quote]

There is also a presumption by management that a cruiser who removes the auto-tip is unhappy with some aspect of services received. So, by doing that, you could actually be making life more complicated for those whom you initially intended to reward. :(

[quote name='wwcruisers']There is also a presumption by management that a cruiser who removes the auto-tip is unhappy with some aspect of services received. So, by doing that, you could actually be making life more complicated for those whom you initially intended to reward. :([/QUOTE]

AND remember, affected staff DO get a list of passengers who have removed gratuities, presumably so they can know that for some reason, service wasn't to expectation, and allow them time to recover. I wonder if management looks at the list and decides that staff who have had tips removed are not working satisfactorily, and thus removing tips just to cash pay tips, may actually hurt their HR file.

[quote name='Wine-O']Your disembarkation luggage tags might seem to mysterically disappear from your luggage and enter into some "black hole" which could take hours to find. Ouch, if you have early travel plans.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Leviathan2772'][quote name='Wine-O']I often wonder how many of those who remove all tips find that their luggage seems to disappear when they disembark?

That's a comforting thought to me. Some people get what they deserve. Life catches up with these characters sooner than later I hope.[/QUOTE]

I wrote about this in another thread. My best friend and his cheap a$$ BIL went on a cruise. There were envelops provided for tips and guide lines, the cheap A$$ BIL, (my friend's discription) said F em I will never see them again, in turn he never seen his luggage and missed his flight looking. It made my friend's day as he said that he got what he deserved.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

• 1 month later...
This week on Infinity, we wondered how the auto-gratuity was distributed to determine how much additional to tip certain individuals for their service.

Was advised by Guest Relations staff that the auto-gratuity is now divided EQUALLY between the Cabin Steward, Assistant Cabin Steward, Waiter & Assistant Waiter. We were told that to leave additional gratuity to any staff in the restaurant, we should give the envelope to the Maitre'd and he would distribute it.

Having such great experience getting correct and accurate information when asking questions, after the classic to premium upgrade hassle, we basically ignored all that and gave envelopes with a thank you note and cash to the specific people we wanted to reward for above and beyond, excellent service.

I guess how they pool, share, keep or otherwise allocate it is just not my problem. :) Edited by Islander500

[quote name='miched'][quote name='Leviathan2772']

I wrote about this in another thread. My best friend and his cheap a$$ BIL went on a cruise. There were envelops provided for tips and guide lines, the cheap A$$ BIL, (my friend's discription) said F em I will never see them again, in turn he never seen his luggage and missed his flight looking. It made my friend's day as he said that he got what he deserved.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞[/QUOTE]

JOKING!!! I'm glad he is your friend's friend. I can just imagine what he is if he were your enemy. LOL

I have a favorite home town restaurant. I eat there a couple of times each month. I recognize some of the wait staff when I walk in. Some nights, service is "better" than other times, usually depending on which night of the week, the time, and how busy they are. They have a manager, hostess, waiter, assistant waiters, buss people, etc. It has never occurred to me to try and ask them how tips are distributed. Why are people so concerned about it on a cruise ship?

[quote name='teacherman']I have a favorite home town restaurant. I eat there a couple of times each month. I recognize some of the wait staff when I walk in. Some nights, service is "better" than other times, usually depending on which night of the week, the time, and how busy they are. They have a manager, hostess, waiter, assistant waiters, buss people, etc. It has never occurred to me to try and ask them how tips are distributed. Why are people so concerned about it on a cruise ship?[/QUOTE]

It may be that us Brits have a different approach to 'tips'. Over here it used be that one would only tip for outstanding service. Then our N American friends inform us that waiters etc get no / little salary so tipping is expected - sort of get that. However I have experience of poor management in UK who , for example will organise tips to be pooled. They then say to the staff " you have worked x hours at the minimum wage and are owed £Y LESS your share of the tips pool equals £Z. So I / we do have concerns about shared tips.

My personal experience is that I resent the Maitre D's getting automatic tips as I rarely see them (only night before 'tips'). If I can be bothered I go to GR on 1st Day and have the Gratuities removed. I then ensure that cabin & Dining staff who actually serve me get more than the 'recommended' amount per night. I also tip anyone who has given really good service.

I dont think there is an easy solution as we have different approaches to tipping in the various countries we hail from. Indeed some of my (UK) golfing pals will only go on P & O because of their issues with 'American Tipping'. I find this amusing because the cruises tend to be more expensive.

However my friend pointed out to me that he orders high end scotch and his wife just blended. He asks why is he expected to give a larger amount as a tip than for his wifes drink ie why is the tip 18% rather than $x per drink. It is exactly the same process to pour said drinks so I suppose he has a point.

I do have one question though - I am on a Europe Cruise in June and wont have any dollars. Will the Bar Tenders view cash tips in Euros as a good or bad thing (in the past I always had plenty of $cash for tips) ? Edited by gcgold

[quote name='gcgold']It may be that us Brits have a different approach to 'tips'. Over here it used be that one would only tip for outstanding service. Then our N American friends inform us that waiters etc get no / little salary so tipping is expected - sort of get that. However I have experience of poor management in UK who , for example will organise tips to be pooled. They then say to the staff " you have worked x hours at the minimum wage and are owed £Y LESS your share of the tips pool equals £Z. So I / we do have concerns about shared tips.

[COLOR="Red"]My personal experience is that I resent the Maitre D's getting automatic tips as I rarely see them (only night before 'tips'). If I can be bothered I go to GR on 1st Day and have the Gratuities removed. I then ensure that cabin & Dining staff who actually serve me get more than the 'recommended' amount per night. I also tip anyone who has given really good service. [/COLOR]

I dont think there is an easy solution as we have different approaches to tipping in the various countries we hail from. Indeed some of my (UK) golfing pals will only go on P & O because of their issues with 'American Tipping'. I find this amusing because the cruises tend to be more expensive.

However my friend pointed out to me that he orders high end scotch and his wife just blended. He asks why is he expected to give a larger amount as a tip than for his wifes drink ie why is the tip 18% rather than $x per drink. It is exactly the same process to pour said drinks so I suppose he has a point.

I do have one question though - I am on a Europe Cruise in June and wont have any dollars. Will the Bar Tenders view cash tips in Euros as a good or bad thing (in the past I always had plenty of $cash for tips) ?[/QUOTE]

You may resent whatever you like, it doesn't mean that the Maitre' de didn't serve you in some behind the scenes way. Perhaps HE saw your table was missing something, and TOLD your waiter to make sure you have it.

What about all of the behind the scenes people who you may not actually SEE serving you? You just stiffed all of them.

Feel free to give additional gratuities to people who go out of their way to display exemplary service, but don't take it away from someone just because you didn't see them every day!!!

[quote name='DinaS']You may resent whatever you like, it doesn't mean that the Maitre' de didn't serve you in some behind the scenes way. Perhaps HE saw your table was missing something, and TOLD your waiter to make sure you have it.

What about all of the behind the scenes people who you may not actually SEE serving you? You just stiffed all of them.

Feel free to give additional gratuities to people who go out of their way to display exemplary service, but don't take it away from someone just because you didn't see them every day!!![/QUOTE]

sorry but i was told ( by Guest Relations ) that the gratuities are only for
Stateroom Attendant & Asst
Waiter & Asst
Maitre D

I presumed that the other behind the scenes staff are paid appropriate salaries.

I have experienced great service from Waiters Bar Staff Stateroom etc. MY experiences of Maitre D's has with one exception been terrible. I dont expect to see them every day but I do expect them to manage the area they 'control'. On the one occasion I did get good assistance I rewarded it.

You are of course entitled to have different views and may have different experiences about the service provided by Maitre D's. I was simply saying things as I see them.

I'm sorry if some of this has been said already but whilst it's fresh in my mind, will share what our waiter said a few weeks ago on the equinox...

Every waiter in the MDR has a 16 person section now.

If you remove auto gratuities then pay your waiter at the end of the cruise, he has to tell his boss and that tip is then pooled. If that's true, you might actually be doing more harm than good to your waiters tip!
If you chose to leave auto grats on and give an extra cash tip, they keep that for themselves.

I am going to venture a sure to be challenged guess that over 80% of those who ask that automatic gratuities be stopped give less $'s overall to the folks they feel should be tipped. For example, let's say the tip, as suggested by some, is split four ways...stop automatic gratuities on a 14 day cruise. Do those folks give $42 ($3x14) or more EACH to their waiter and cabin attendant....that's $84+ per cabin or do you split the total recommended amount (12.50) and give that total tip to just those two people...handing them $$165+ in an envelope. I really really question that happens. No...at best you give them the $100 (unlikely, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) and you don't pay the rest to anyone.

This is one of those "sounds good" things.....but, irrespective of your home perspective on tipping, cuts costs. Please...those who don't believe in tipping tell us that excluding additional tips to bar servers, you just reallocate the "recommended gratuity" amount and give all of it to your waiter and cabin attendant. Or is the position...I shouldn't have to pay that much because I don't see those folks helping me....because you don't like the way Celebrity figures total compensation which for some, includes part of the recommended gratuities. Edited by ghstudio

[quote name='NLH Arizona']Totally unprofessional behavior by the waiters who were talking about this and have to wonder if they were just trolling for cash tips.[/QUOTE]
I doubt that they would not have their contract renewed if some one in the upper management found out what they were talking about.
I have experienced some of that talk about how poor they are and how they miss their family, which is most likely true, if they have a family, but who really knows. Some times it was almost like they were, quietly, as mentioned in quote, trolling for cash tips. I do reward up and above service for my needs in CASH, if I actually get it.

[quote name='ghstudio']I am going to venture a sure to be challenged guess that over 80% of those who ask that automatic gratuities be stopped give less $'s overall to the folks they feel should be tipped. For example, let's say the tip, as suggested by some, is split four ways...stop automatic gratuities on a 14 day cruise. Do those folks give $42 ($3x14) or more EACH to their waiter and cabin attendant....that's $84+ per cabin or do you split the total recommended amount (12.50) and give that total tip to just those two people...handing them $$165+ in an envelope. I really really question that happens. No...at best you give them the $100 (unlikely, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) and you don't pay the rest to anyone.

This is one of those "sounds good" things.....but, irrespective of your home perspective on tipping, cuts costs. Please...those who don't believe in tipping tell us that excluding additional tips to bar servers, you just reallocate the "recommended gratuity" amount and give all of it to your waiter and cabin attendant. Or is the position...I shouldn't have to pay that much because I don't see those folks helping me....because you don't like the way Celebrity figures total compensation which for some, includes part of the recommended gratuities.[/QUOTE]

i dont think you can make these statements as you and I dont know what happens when other people choose to remove the automatic gratuities.

I can only tell you what I do. i round UP the amount that was allocated to the nearest $50 and then split it amongst the 4 staff as I judge their contribution to my holiday . I always add some extra to what they would have received as I am lucky to have always had great service from the 4 key staff . in the unlikely event that I had bad service from , say, waiting staff and it hadnt proved after my pointing it out then the Stateroom staff are likely to gain and/ or Bar Staff.

I rather resent any assumption that by removing the automatic gratuities I would somehow gain from a pecuniary perspective. Perhaps some do- I dont know and no one knows if they are a majority or an insignificant number

I regard the prepaid gratuities a part of the cruise price and then dole out various amounts of cash to certain individuals as I see fit during the course of a cruise.

Now, I am not for one minute saying this is the correct way do to do things or others should follow suit.

I am simply saying this is the way that I do it and just like it is not my business how the staff divvy up their tips it is equally nobody else's business how I allocate mine.;)

[quote name='gcgold']i dont think you can make these statements as you and I dont know what happens when other people choose to remove the automatic gratuities.

I can only tell you what I do. i round UP the amount that was allocated to the nearest $50 and then split it amongst the 4 staff as I judge their contribution to my holiday . I always add some extra to what they would have received as I am lucky to have always had great service from the 4 key staff . in the unlikely event that I had bad service from , say, waiting staff and it hadnt proved after my pointing it out then the Stateroom staff are likely to gain and/ or Bar Staff.

I rather resent any assumption that by removing the automatic gratuities I would somehow gain from a pecuniary perspective. Perhaps some do- I dont know and no one knows if they are a majority or an insignificant number[/QUOTE]

You're right, I don't know the numbers but I very clearly said it was a guess....and that guess is based on human nature. Few, in my experience, hand out $50 or $100 or $150 tips for anything. I doubt many cabin attendants find a $100 bill in that envelope at the end of a cruise.

In my personal opinion -removing auto grats is just cheap, it is part of the cruise cost. We leave on auto tips and give extra for good service to cabin and dining room staff. (Great service gets an even bigger tip)
If you remove your auto grat - and really do give cash tips - all those that receive your cash tip have to turn in your cash tip for it to be shared in the same proportion as the auto tip. If they do not they could get in real trouble. So they actually get less than you think you are rewarding them with.